Thread: Tijuana

Default Tijuana

Not Coachella related but I thought I'd throw it out there to you lovely people to help someone not in the know.

After Coachella we are driving down to San Diego but considering carrying on further South and trying out Tijuana.
    We don't know much about it other than what the all these TV programmes claim about it.

Would those of you who have been advise it?
    What is it like and any tips?

We are a group of 20-somethings by the way.

Default Re: Tijuana

Tijuana's not what it used to be, but if you insist, there is some info here:

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Perhaps I'm naive, but traveling outside of the country sort of freaks me out. TJ/ Cabo shouldn't be too bad. Stick to the tourist trap towns, and keep off the moors.

Born and raised here in SD...I agree with ^ TJ is not what it use to be. Chances are you'll be alright if you don't get too crazy, but if you are white then there is a possibility of getting ripped off from people down there or even harassed by the cops for no reason. TJ isn't really a great place to go and see. It was a place for the younger crowd to go party but cartel violence and police corruption ruined it. If you must go down there then at least go to Rosarito Beach; little bit further but also safer.

It's better than Juarez, go ahead. You'll prbably have a lot of fun.

i live in San Diego. TJ is awesome and you're not going to get your head chopped off. Go downtown and hit up the bars on 6th st.

Honestly don't know why you'd bother. San Diego is nice enough. Beaches are clean, water won't give you the shits, etc.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

A long, long time ago we were walking back across the border after a night of partying. Walked by a lady sitting on a blanket who was selling trinkets and chicklets gum. Stumbled as I did so and kicked hundreds of little packets of the gum all over the sidewalk, kept on walking. Still feel shame to this day, but I also still laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by stuado View Post
    Not Coachella related but I thought I'd throw it out there to you lovely people to help someone not in the know.

After Coachella we are driving down to San Diego but considering carrying on further South and trying out Tijuana.
    We don't know much about it other than what the all these TV programmes claim about it.

Would those of you who have been advise it?
    What is it like and any tips?

We are a group of 20-somethings by the way.
    As a someone who goes to Northern Baja a lot to surf, I wouldn't recommend TJ. It isn't that cheap, there isn't much to do other than drink pee beer and eat tacos, which are all things you can do in San Diego. TJ is mostly just depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Can't be more bro than Gotye.

Lurker

Me and my friends were thinking of either going to San Diego or Santa Barbra after coachella - which would you guys recommend? Iv heard that Santa Barbra is pretty boring

Personally, I love Tijuana and Mexico in general. I've probably spent 30 days combined in TJ in the past 4 years or so without a single sketchy situation. Of course I've heard plenty of horror stories, but for the most part the locals say you're fine if you stay out of the sketchiest areas (especially at night.) My advice: spend some time in TJ checking out the downtown and playas area and then head down to Ensenada if you have time (about 1 hour south) for some great fish tacos, hiking, beaches, and bar-hopping.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Honestly don't know why you'd bother. San Diego is nice enough. Beaches are clean, water won't give you the shits, etc.
    And we have the same authentic Mexican food...probably cooked better. Plus its San Diego...I shouldn't have to say more.
    Woodstock '94 and '99, Phish Fest '99, Moe. down '00, Gathering of the Vibes '00-'03, Rock the Bells '07, Sunset Strip Music Festival '11
    Coachella W2 2013, Bottle Rock Napa Valley 2013, Outside Lands 2013, Uproar Festival Chula Vista 2013, NIN @ Staples Center 8.11.2013
    Phish @ SPAC 7.4.2014
    Crosby, Stills and Nash @ Bethel Woods 7.5.2014
    The Hudson Project 7.10-7.13.2014
    Motley Crue @ Chula Vista, CA 7.30.2014
    Outside Lands 8.8-8.10.2014
    NIN and Soundgarden @ Chula Vista, CA 8.21.2014

Quote Originally Posted by EllaL View Post
    Me and my friends were thinking of either going to San Diego or Santa Barbra after coachella - which would you guys recommend? Iv heard that Santa Barbra is pretty boring

Santa Barbra is nice but unless you're rich and/or old it's probably not your scene...head south.

Thanks!
    A mixed bag there.

Considering even just going for a day and getting smashed then heading back to San Diego.

Can you walk back?
    What time does the train line run to/from there?

Least that way can say that we have been.

Quote Originally Posted by EllaL View Post
    It is, unless you want to do some wine tasting, or there's a show going on there at the Santa Barbara bowl (fantastic venue)
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Thanks!
    A mixed bag there.

Considering even just going for a day and getting smashed then heading back to San Diego.

Can you walk back?

You can take the Trolley Direct from downtown San Diego to San Yisdro, and then just walk across the border. The trolley takes about 45 min to an hour and runs all the time. Good call on going for the day, don't stay past dark especially in some areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Can't be more bro than Gotye.

Thanks!
    A mixed bag there.

Can you walk back?

http://www.bajalife.com/bordercrossing/index.html And I would listen to Djroomba and leave before it's dark.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Papi Piratón!