Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to meet new people at Coachella!

Lurker

Default Wanting to meet new people at Coachella!

Hey EVERYONE!

So my boyfriend and I got tickets to Coachella! We have been to Bonnaroo, since we are from Atlanta (have been living in Cleveland for 6 months though...), but Coachella is a first for us (ITS SO FAR AWAY!!!). Unfortunately, NONE of our friends could join us and we all know that at music festivals- THE MORE THE MERRIER!!! So since my boyfriend and I are pretty social, we are hoping to just go and meet some new people!

SOOOO going to Coachella for us is expensive because we had to buy the tickets, buy airline tickets to CA, rent a car, ect... and i'll be missing 2 days of law school. BUT, IT WILL TOTALLY BE WORTH IT if I know for sure that we can meet some people and just chill with them!! So basically my question is, do people at Coachella mainly stay with their own group of friends? or will we be able to come and be able to find a some people we can chill with?? I guess even if we didn't find people it would still be awesome but I love music festivals because of all the different type of people! Any ideas, opinions? just let me know! thanks!

Marlene

P.S. We have our own camping pass so we are not looking for a place to camp out, lol.

Default Re: Wanting to meet new people at Coachella!

You will meet plenty of new and chill people, all you have to do is introduce yourself really.

Make friends with the people camping around you. Chances are you'll have new festival friends within an hour of arriving.

Lurker

Cool Re: Wanting to meet new people at Coachella!

Awesome, that is great news to hear! Thanks!

I'm going alone so I'm hoping to meet some new people but in the end it doesn't matter if I do or don't. I'm there for the show/experience, not so much for people. Plus I'm socially awkward :P

Two of the three years I've been to coachella our neighbors have been awesome and we always hung out with them at night and went to a few shows together. The other year our neighbors were never around but you'll meet plenty of people without even trying.

Im pretty anti social myself. But at my first coachella, within in minutes I became good friends with my camping neighbors. Even inside the festival you meet people while you eat and waiting for bands to come out and play. Its the coachella vibe.

You are going to have the time of your life! Just keep your phone handy to jot down numbers and contact info of the cool ppl you meet while there. Its super easy to meet new frenz!!!

The two years I've gone I've made friends while I was still in line for camping, before I even got in. You will definitely make new friends fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeki View Post
    Im pretty anti social myself. But at my first coachella, within in minutes I became good friends with my camping neighbors. Even inside the festival you meet people while you eat and waiting for bands to come out and play. Its the coachella vibe.
    LMAO I still remember when I went to Coachella on Saturday back in 07 and got spotted in the opening crowd by some family acquaintances. That was weird shit.

I went alone last year, I'm a huge introvert, so I didn't meet anybody really... except for the people that shared a joint during Kendrick Lamarr. This year my brother is coming, as much as I am an intro, he's an extro... so I expect the experience to be quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by jaisee View Post
    I went alone last year, I'm a huge introvert, so I didn't meet anybody really... except for the people that shared a joint during Kendrick Lamarr. This year my brother is coming, as much as I am an intro, he's an extro... so I expect the experience to be quite different.
    That's what I'm expecting from my first weekend camping at Coachella. I don't approach anyone or talk to people randomly, but I think it's rude to ignore people if they talk to you. Plus hey if someone wants to talk, why not right?

I've camped at coachella by myself a few times. Secret to meeting people in the campsite regardless of by yourself or not is bring extra beer. Offering beer right off the bat to neighbors will go a long way the entire weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I'm also going by myself and coming all the way from Germany. I don't really mind being on my own, but I'm pretty sure it will also be really easy to make some new friends.

Which weekend are you all going to? I'm going to weekend 2. Flying up on my own from Australia - was a little apprehensive at first as all of my friends cancelled on me at the last minute but I didn't want to let that stop me! Would definitely be keen to meet up with you all

Well I'll be there not sure what sets youre going to though or what time youre getting there during weekend 2. And I've been seeing this a lot, seems like everyone's buddies are always canceling last minute. Damn flakey people.

Wearing some L.A Kings related paraphernalia has, in recent years, gotten me immediate notice from Canadians that attend the festival.

My Canadian friends, I swear I love you all! You like to drink beer, talk about ice hockey, and your taste in music tends to be a-ok with me. See you there!
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Quote Originally Posted by mellie_jelly View Post
    Which weekend are you all going to? I'm going to weekend 2. Flying up on my own from Australia - was a little apprehensive at first as all of my friends cancelled on me at the last minute but I didn't want to let that stop me! Would definitely be keen to meet up with you all
    I'm also going to weekend 2.

i'm going wk 2. Party ....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

We are a couple from SoCal, that is likely moving to Atlanta in the next few months for work... shoot us a message and let's go watch some music!

Id be too scared to go travelling on my own! Wish i wasnt such a scaredy cat tho id love to go travelling!

Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    Well I'll be there not sure what sets youre going to though or what time youre getting there during weekend 2. And I've been seeing this a lot, seems like everyone's buddies are always canceling last minute. Damn flakey people.
    I haven't even gotten accommodation or transport sorted...haven't even booked my flights yet! I was hoping to find some people on here to share a camping spot with or get a ride from LAX and check out a few sets together (Simian Mobile Disco, The XX, Major Lazer, Disclosure, Eric Prydz, Grimes, James Blake off the top of my head!) as well. Yep, all my friends cancelled - I could see it coming already though. Found out today though that a few friends of friends will be going the same weekend as me so I do have back-up accommodation sorted but I want to camp, not stay at a hotel!

Quote Originally Posted by mayehem View Post
    I'm also going to weekend 2.
    cool, we should meet up!

Quote Originally Posted by mellie_jelly View Post
    I haven't even gotten accommodation or transport sorted...haven't even booked my flights yet! I was hoping to find some people on here to share a camping spot with or get a ride from LAX and check out a few sets together (Simian Mobile Disco, The XX, Major Lazer, Disclosure, Eric Prydz, Grimes, James Blake off the top of my head!) as well. Yep, all my friends cancelled - I could see it coming already though. Found out today though that a few friends of friends will be going the same weekend as me so I do have back-up accommodation sorted but I want to camp, not stay at a hotel!
    If LAX wasn't like the oppposite direction I would give you a ride but I'd literally be driving an hour the opposite direction haha. Shame but I won't be seeing you at any sets from looks of it. Unless I'm wandering around between set times. Good to see you found up back-up accommodatiions also you shouldnt wait to long to book stuff, costs more the closer it is to the date.

Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    If LAX wasn't like the oppposite direction I would give you a ride but I'd literally be driving an hour the opposite direction haha. Shame but I won't be seeing you at any sets from looks of it. Unless I'm wandering around between set times. Good to see you found up back-up accommodatiions also you shouldnt wait to long to book stuff, costs more the closer it is to the date.
    Thanks for the heads up Whereabouts will you be driving from? I can't book stuff though - camping is all sold out? My best bet is to find someone random to share a camping spot with. No luck with that so far Let me know if you know of anyone!

Hey Marlene, you and your boyfriend will have no problem making new friends at coachella! usually all it takes is a "Happy Coachella!" to get a conversation started with your camping neighbors or your neighbors waiting for a set to start.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Wearing some L.A Kings related paraphernalia has, in recent years, gotten me immediate notice from Canadians that attend the festival.

My Canadian friends, I swear I love you all! You like to drink beer, talk about ice hockey, and your taste in music tends to be a-ok with me. See you there!
    I never wear Kings stuff to coachella, but I always give a "Go Kings" to vancouver fans. I think it will be extra special this year
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    Austin City Limits (weekend 1)

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

Everyone is your friend at Coachella! Unless you step on them in the dark. Then you have to buy them a beer.
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

Lurker

Cool Re: Wanting to meet new people at Coachella!

This will be our 3rd year at Coachella. We went in 2010, 2011, and now 2013. We're from the NYC area. The people we met our first year were from NYC, North Carolina, and San Diego. After the concert, we all kept in touch, with some friends even came and visited us up in the northeast. Now our third year going, and we plan on meeting up with everyone at the campgrounds again. As long as your open and friendly, you won't have ANY problem meeting new people. Everyone goes into Coachella with an open mind and good vibes, as long as you do the same, you'll have a blast.

AND THE ADVICE ON BEING THE BEER SUPPLIER---- also VERY helpful, good call fellow coachellian.

My sixth year at Coachella, bringing my boyfriend for his first time and this will be my first time camping. I can't wait to meet my neighbors. Traveling from North New Jersey!
    Weekend 2
    Blur / Passion Pit / Tegan & Sara / Stars / Purity Ring / Beardyman / Of Monsters and Men
    Postal Service / Hot Chip / New Order / TDCC / Franz Ferdinand / Violent Femmes / SMD / The 2 Bears
    Vampire Weekend / La Roux / Adrian Lux / Tanlines

('07-'13)

I"m taking my boyfriend to his first coachella too!
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    Austin City Limits (weekend 1)