Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My Bloody Valentine 2013

Default Re: My Bloody Valentine 2013

From the reactions I am seeing (elsewhere, mostly) I find it really strange that folks are saying that this could be from the 90s. If this could be from the 90s why does nothing from the 90s sound like this? Or the 00s for that matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Well, to be fair, is there anything else that really, truly sounds like Loveless? I mean, there are people who have been able to match some of the sounds, but there is just a depth to Shields' sounds that few others can approximate. I wouldn't be surprised if some of this was recorded (as in, some of the tracks within individual songs) were recorded in the 90s. That said, I would imagine that they did most of it fairly recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Some of this had to be done in the 90's I think. I want an interview with Shields letting everyone know when this stuff got recorded. And with it saying it was all done on analogue tape, that shits expensive nowadays. Unless he kept a surplus of blank tape 20 years ago and finally got around to using it.

Yeah, "Wonder 2" is really disorienting in a good way.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

i fitted in the leaked tracks from a couple years ago within the new album as im in the same camp that believes that most of this is just stuff finished up from sessions in the 90's. sounded interesting.

1. she found now
    2. HOW DO YOU DO IT
    3. only tomorrow
    4. who sees you
    5. is this and yes
    6. if i am
    7. KEVINS SONG
    8. new you
    9. ANGEL
    10. in another way
    11. nothing is
    12. GOOD FOR YOU
    13. wonder 2

good for you really is the only one that seems out of place as it is obviously an isnt anything outtake.
    Last edited by Grandma; 02-03-2013 at 01:52 PM.

On my second listen through and fucking loving it. Can't wait to hear these songs live.

Even if these were recorded at different points in time the album flows really well. The first three tracks seem to take off right where Loveless left off, but then they veer into some dreamy uptempo tracks before going into the full noise assault.

Interviews, you say? Here's a tease, at least (siap). Previews for the Kickstarter doc "Beautiful Noise" about MBV, Cocteau Twins and Jesus & Mary Chain. Looks fuckin stellar, & they surpassed their funding by almost 10 grand, but no word on when it'll actually debut.

(the bold text indicates the parts that got me most moist)

INTERVIEWS INCLUDE: Kevin Shields, Jim Reid, Robin Guthrie, Bobby Gillespie, Douglas Hart, Colm O’Ciosoig, Debbie Googe, Simon Raymonde, Alan Moulder, Ivo Watts-Russell, Alan McGee, Sonic Boom (though, shockingly, no Bilinda? wtf)

FEATURING BAND MEMBERS OF: Ride, Slowdive, Chapterhouse, Lush, Curve, Swervedriver, Medicine, Pale Saints, Seefeel, AR Kane, Telescopes, Boo Radleys, Cranes, Catherine Wheel, Flying Saucer Attack

WITH: Wayne Coyne, Trent Reznor, Billy Corgan and Robert Smith

Score by Brad Laner (Medicine) Fuck yeah, Chatsworth shoegaze, bitch!

VFX by John Nugent (Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Matrix)

Motion Graphics by Angus Cameron (Music Video Director)

Graphic design by Timothy O'Donnell (4AD)

Featuring Tour Projections, Bootlegs and previously unseen personal videos.

Performance Videos (and some interviews) with current bands: Sigur Ros, M83, Autolux, Serena Maneesh, Ulrich Schnauss, A Place To Bury Strangers, Grouper, Tim Hecker, Belong among others.

Here's the preview vids:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ic-documentary
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

This is the My Bloody Valentine thread Goat, not the advertise for a documentary thread.

It's a doc about My Bloody Valentine, shitbird, and I have no involvement in it. I found the link to it at the MBV site: http://www.mybloodyvalentine.org/New...NID=624&flag=1
    Don't get all pissy just cuz your Niners are getting bitchslapped.
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

I don't give a shit about football. Puppy bowl's been over for hours now.

That would have been the link to post, not a long, rambling description with the Boo Radleys being the largest name in your post.
    Last edited by bmack86; 02-03-2013 at 06:37 PM.

I don't see a problem with highlighting the Boo Radleys considering this is a MBV thread already. To continue the football theme: unnecessary roughness

I need to re-listen to Loveless, there's one song off it I really like. I'm curious to listen to this one. That being said, what about a band's loudness makes them "good"? Isn't it just a matter of who has louder equipment? Why does that have any bearing on quality? Because they "choose" to turn up? Because the music sounds better loud compared to other musics?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

It's not that they're loud, it's how they're loud. Live, it's like being submerged in an infinitely deep sea of sound.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

wonder 2 is fuckin dat song tho. Don't get me wrong, i fuck with all the loveless b-sides and shit, but wonder 2 is a stand out when i think of which track didn't look back. fuckin analogy for the fast times of the 2010s

that track just might be their magnum opus

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I don't see a problem with highlighting the Boo Radleys considering this is a MBV thread already. To continue the football theme: unnecessary roughness

I need to re-listen to Loveless, there's one song off it I really like. I'm curious to listen to this one. That being said, what about a band's loudness makes them "good"? Isn't it just a matter of who has louder equipment? Why does that have any bearing on quality? Because they "choose" to turn up? Because the music sounds better loud compared to other musics?
    Loudness with a live act can frequently be a bad thing: it can wash out the performance or put all the focus on one instrument above all others. The ones we have praised for loudness do it well: they use volume as another tool to further their sound, rather than as an end-goal. The holocaust in MBV sets can be seen as just brutal loudness, but if you sit in it for long enough it really becomes a thing of beauty: it's physical, there are weird tones that come out of the mass of volume, and it feels more calming than intense. Wielding volume masterfully is a great thing.

old school

Dear god I've been waiting for a Curve reunion forever!
    holy shit dude
    ^I earned this.^

"Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

The one thing about this record is the songs aren't as immediate as Loveless. It is definitely the weirder record, like Shields had been mentioning. Sonically it is beautiful...no one sounds like this, even 21 years later. But the songs aren't as hooky. I've listened three times now and couldn't hum you one hook.

Huh. To be frank, I felt completely the opposite, but I've been listening to nothing but metal recently so that may have something to do with it. Still, I felt like the first half of the album is full of songs that felt incredibly immediate.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Ugh, son of a fucking bitch, these cocksuckers release a new albums and now I have to listen to you fuckheads talk about them like they're actual music again...
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

The joy of the internet: you don't HAVE to read anything.

And what else would you expect from a My Bloody Valentine thread? Aretha Franklin? Computer repair?

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

A more accurate discussion about the band, namely an appraisal of exactly HOW much they suck.

100 times?

1000 times?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Huh. To be frank, I felt completely the opposite, but I've been listening to nothing but metal recently so that may have something to do with it. Still, I felt like the first half of the album is full of songs that felt incredibly immediate.
    There is a sonic immediacy. But they aren't as immediate as songs. At least not three listens in. Part of it is the lack of the little loops running through the songs (like "I Only Said" and "Blown a Wish"), and part of it is the songs are less poppy.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Yes they were. That was the loudest show I've ever heard. Maybe I was just imagining it, and imagining all the people without earplugs cowering and looking miserable.
    I didn't feel they were "that" loud at Coachella. I saw them a few times as they toured in '08-'09 and the only one that was overwhelmingly loud (for me) was at ATP NY. There were a lot of people WITH earplugs who were still covering their ears and looked like they were in pain.

PS I have no self control. I balked at the cost + shipping last night while looking at this on my phone, and decided to wait to see how much it would be sold for locally. I barely made it 24 hours without ordering...
    Last edited by chiapet; 02-03-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    Sweet. How's it sound?
    I'm not feeling the first songs as much as everyone else yet. The middle to last tracks are the ones that really stick out for me.

If I remember correctly, Shields had mentioned in interviews from the past that he intended to make an album in the vein of country music (obviously the term is used loosely here). This album seems to be the one. It's much more along the lines of Sometimes in its sonic palette and lack of intensity. My only worry is how these songs will translate live, because if they're played anything like how songs from other albums are played, then they will just sound like mush. And of course I don't believe I've seen Sometimes on their setlists anyway. I'd really like to see a mellow MBV set. Even though I've enjoyed their shows, I've found the whole sonic assault of the senses aspect to be such a gimmick and teeter into excess, which now that I think about it may perfectly fit within Shields' personality.

they played "sometimes" at the atp fest they curated at the end of the 08/09 tours. back then kevin said they'd be playing more songs from their catalogue they hadn't previously performed live, but what's his word worth, really?

"new you" sounded great live, even as a shitty youtube vid. i actually liked it more than the studio cut, and i can see quite a few of the new ones turning out that way...if they get around to including them in the setlist.

Through a few listens now. The album strikes me as three different eps brought together, or at least a single LP with three distinct acts. The first act -- the tracks most obviously indebted to the spirit of Loveless -- is my favorite, but that's possibly because it's the part of the album that best fits my own preconceptions, the part of the album that sounds like only My Bloody Valentine could have made it. The second act is a mixed bag for me, and I'm still working my way through the extraordinary final act.

I am delighted beyond belief that this record exists. I think it is a worthy successor to Loveless, even if it doesn't reach that record's singular heights and pleasures.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Just a heads up, listening to the Sound Opinions podcast from Jan. 6th. Topic is Shoegaze and they spend a bit of time on MBV.

To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

There's nothing quite like a new album to shed light on the greatness of an old one. I'm listening to Loveless right now and getting so much more lost in the awesome density of it than I have since at least the 2008 freakout that came with seeing them live. Thank you, Kevin Shields, for the fiber optic jesus.