Thread: >Youth Lagoon <

Arrow >Youth Lagoon <

Default Re: >Youth Lagoon <

Will be the first show for me on Friday. "The Year of Hibernation" was a really good album. Suprised but appreciative that they are billed that low. Going from this to TNGHT is going to setup an amazing Friday evening.

Love this dude! Yeah i'm predicting a great early day set to start the fest as well

Everyone should watch this video

4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

Stream the new album here: http://www.npr.org/2013/02/24/172611...drous-bughouse

Listened to the first few songs earlier, digging it. Might have to check out this set.

Thanks!

Really liked the last album and am enjoying this so far.

Would love to see him open the Outdoor. Anyone here seen him live?

was liking that Attic Doctor today reminiscent of a perverted fun house or springy jack-in-the-box

Seen him twice. Has improved a lot. New album has a much fuller sound. Looking forward to hearing the new stuff live.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

He will not be on early. He's headlining big(ger) venues these days and, well, he's a beast live so I'm sure GV is going to take advantage and not waste the opportunity.

Yes, he would be best live in an early time slot.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    He will not be on early. He's headlining big(ger) venues these days and, well, he's a beast live so I'm sure GV is going to take advantage and not waste the opportunity.
    I hope this is true. Although I thought I saw him opening for Alt-J in one of the events in between weekends. Either way, I'm curious what time and stage you think he would play? I was thinking late afternoon outdoor...

Also, stoked to hear he's a beast live, I haven't had the opportunity to catch him yet.

I don't know what type of venues he is playing in other cities, but considering he is playing a shed (albeit a big shed) in SLC, I dont see him being that huge. I wish he was playing a real venue so I could see him after work. I saw him a year ago and it was pretty good, but you could tell he was new to performing. I hope he has worked out the kinks. If he plays an early day set in a tent that would be perfect.

Was really excited for this set, but then picked up the new album - disappointed to say the least...all the charm and gentle anthemic uplift of Hibernation replaced with a bunch of Danielson/Animal Collective freak folk BS - No way I can make it through a full set emphasizing the new album...Hopefully will be able to catch a couple Hibernation tracks early and move on.

Attic Doctor has to be one of the most annoying tracks I've heard in a couple years...but then, anything that sounds remotely like Danielson is a step in the wrong direction in my book.

I'm looking forward to an afternoon set. Still absorbing the new album, which is a departure from TYoH. I'll be curious to hear that those older tracks sound like with a full band behind them.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Was really excited for this set, but then picked up the new album - disappointed to say the least...all the charm and gentle anthemic uplift of Hibernation replaced with a bunch of Danielson/Animal Collective freak folk BS - No way I can make it through a full set emphasizing the new album...Hopefully will be able to catch a couple Hibernation tracks early and move on.

Attic Doctor has to be one of the most annoying tracks I've heard in a couple years...but then, anything that sounds remotely like Danielson is a step in the wrong direction in my book.
    This sounds like the opinion of someone who made it through maybe the first 3 tracks and formed an opinion. Save Attic Doctor the album is a great work. Agreed on Attic though, I'll give you that. You need to spend some time with Mute, Rasberry Cane, Daisyphobia, Pelican Man...pretty much the whole rest of the album.

Yeah I have the opposite reaction. His first album is pleasant on the ears, but I was not expecting the new one to be so psychadelic and awesome.

I'm really loving the new album. I was a fan of the first record but I didn't think it was anything special. After hearing Wondrous Bughouse I'm really excited for this set. I love how much fuller and deeper this record is.

Fuller and deeper? You mean more heavily edited, and less melodic? I'm not sure you actually listened to the album......

Year of Hibernation is leagues above the sophomore effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffnlipman View Post
    Fuller and deeper? You mean more heavily edited, and less melodic? I'm not sure you actually listened to the album......

Yea his new record is def. gonna drop off some fans that fell in love with his first record, but I'm honestly really glad he didn't turn out the same style. He changed and has evolved into something pretty fuckin radical. He's writing the way he wants to write without the distraction of his first record. I'm a huge fan of the man who produced his newest album as well. Ben Allen, who has produced the passed two Animal Collective records, has def. got his hands on this album. You can surely hear his influence. Especially with the way his vocals sound now. It almost seems to be produced the same way Centipede HZ was produced. I fuckin dig it !! Can't wait for his show. It'll be my first time seeing him and I'm excited it will be a more eclectic show with more than just one album out.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffnlipman View Post

you crazy. I liked Year Of Hibernation but it definitely felt flat at times. This is much, much better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachellaFriendly View Post
    Yea his new record is def. gonna drop off some fans that fell in love with his first record, but I'm honestly really glad he didn't turn out the same style. He changed and has evolved into something pretty fuckin radical. He's writing the way he wants to write without the distraction of his first record. I'm a huge fan of the man who produced his newest album as well. Ben Allen, who has produced the passed two Animal Collective records, has def. got his hands on this album. You can surely hear his influence. Especially with the way his vocals sound now. It almost seems to be produced the same way Centipede HZ was produced. I fuckin dig it !! Can't wait for his show. It'll be my first time seeing him and I'm excited it will be a more eclectic show with more than just one album out.
    Yeah this is exactly at the heart of my dislike of new album...I'm not a big Animal Collective or Ben Allen fan. I like a ton of experimentation sonically but still want even the most experimental music to have an emotional clarity to if...something AC and Allen obfuscates track after track more than any band Ive ever listened to.

To see Youth Lagoon adapting this emotional obfuscation when the emotionality of Hibernation was its biggest charm is just a sad misguided step in my book. Agree its a much fuller and more adventurous album than the first but its also emotionally inert.

But I will try to give it a few more listens and see if it grows on me.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 03-11-2013 at 10:40 PM.

actually arrived late to coachella last year just so i could see this guy at the troub
    fantastic debut album, the 2nd album... other than the single really didnt do much for me, of course ill be checking him out again but would be more pumped if his album hadnt felt like such a let down

Everyones a Photographer.

Watched his SXSW webcast last night. Never heard of him before but I was pretty impressed. Will try to check out part of his set.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Yeah this is exactly at the heart of my dislike of new album...I'm not a big Animal Collective or Ben Allen fan. I like a ton of experimentation sonically but still want even the most experimental music to have an emotional clarity to if...something AC and Allen obfuscates track after track more than any band Ive ever listened to.

To see Youth Lagoon adapting this emotional obfuscation when the emotionality of Hibernation was its biggest charm is just a sad misguided step in my book. Agree its a much fuller and more adventurous album than the first but its also emotionally inert.

But I will try to give it a few more listens and see if it grows on me.
    I agree 100%. I was struggling with how to put into words how I felt about this album and my disappointment towards it, and you totally nailed it. Well done.

So I guess the new album is a little polarizing and that makes sense considering how different it is from the first album.

I thought the first album was just sort of pleasant background music and the new album is blowing me away.

He's now one of my most anticipated sets.

Last edited by Coldchella; 03-28-2013 at 11:21 AM.

stop telling me about good bands, guys. srsly. im gonna want to be at every single set the way this is going. this years lineup is secretly the best fest lineup ever.
    DRUGS ON KIDS