Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why Presale has Killed Coachella

Default Re: Why Presale has Killed Coachella

I love pre-sale. It dissuades scalpers to some extent because they can't get their mitts on wristbands for resale for almost a year. If there was no pre-sale, professional scalpers (the ones who run specialized, captcha-cheating software on banks of computers) would snap up almost every ticket within ten minutes and you'd be paying inflated prices on what is pi\olitely called the secondary market.
    2014 completely unrealistic wishlist: Radiohead, Atoms For Peace, Elbow, Doves, Kristin Hersh, David Bowie, Kate Bush, Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Shy Child, Massive Attack, Zero 7, The Dickies, Holy Fuck, Seun Kuti and Egypt 80, The Flaming Lips

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    is that chucky canuck guy kroqken?
    Quote Originally Posted by higgybaby23 View Post
    Naw, too much hair.

Quote Originally Posted by chucky canuck View Post
    I love pre-sale. It dissuades scalpers to some extent because they can't get their mitts on wristbands for resale for almost a year. If there was no pre-sale, professional scalpers (the ones who run specialized, captcha-cheating software on banks of computers) would snap up almost every ticket within ten minutes and you'd be paying inflated prices on what is pi\olitely called the secondary market.
    Isnt it the same situation when its general onsale in January and wristbands dont ship for 2 months? Despite that, sales still happen. Every buyer knows what theyre getting into regarding purchase of a wristband before they have shipped.

The difference is that the acts have all been announced and that it's easier to take a 3 month risk on an investment than a 10 month risk.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Yep. Scalpers are less likely to lay out thousands of dollars for wristbands that they cant sell for 10 months.
    2014 completely unrealistic wishlist: Radiohead, Atoms For Peace, Elbow, Doves, Kristin Hersh, David Bowie, Kate Bush, Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Shy Child, Massive Attack, Zero 7, The Dickies, Holy Fuck, Seun Kuti and Egypt 80, The Flaming Lips

Naw, too much hair.

old school

90% of coachella tickets sold on the secondary market don't really make any money, many take a hit. Very detailed evidence in numerous threads on this forum illustrate the point year after year.

A couple panic sales after the lineup comes out, car camping passed in 2011(?) being sold for 5x before the rule change and the some last minutes fans caught off guard in 2010 having to pay $500 were a couple exceptions. Even that it's maybe a couple hundred tickets over a 4 years span out of a half million passes sold by GV.

Scalper have numerous cards and home addresses to buy more than their allotment. It's simply not necessary for them to stock up as the markups aren't there.

there were more scalpers under the old system. Pre-sale is not the only factor but it is a factor in reduced scalping

Naw, too much hair.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    why are we engaging this idiot. lets look at this gem of a thread he made:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...hella-Scalpers

it's pretty clear that you have an issue with GV as a business so why the fuck do you continue to give them your money?
    A lot of the time scalping is a deal the venue has with whatever 2nd hand ticketing company (like stubhub) so he isn't completely crazy. But it doesn't exactly make sense for a festival. The venue will make a deal that they get to buy a certain amount of tickets for every show but the thing is, they HAVE to buy them for EVERY show. If they can resell them, awesome. But if they can't, then they take a loss. It wouldn't make sense for a popular festival like Coachella because Goldenvoice already knows they will be able to sell them so they have no need to sell them to anyone but festival goers. They want the tickets to be used because that is more people there spending money on food/alcohol. If they sell them to a ticket dealer they run the risk of the ticket going unused.

Presale is the way to go.. When you buy during presale, you don't have to get the ticket + shuttle combo. I think it's $50 cheaper w/o the shuttle.

I have never been able to get a GA pass only (w/o shuttle bus pass COMBO) during the regular sale. I bought w/e 2 - early this year and you would think that was when the most tickets (solo) were available.. Nah. Still had to cop that combo though.

I also think presale takes a lot of the stress out of the whole ticket procurement process. Payment plan it and chill.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbles View Post
    Presale is the way to go.. When you buy during presale, you don't have to get the ticket + shuttle combo. I think it's $50 cheaper w/o the shuttle.

I have never been able to get a GA pass only (w/o shuttle bus pass COMBO) during the regular sale. I bought w/e 2 - early this year and you would think that was when the most tickets (solo) were available.. Nah. Still had to cop that combo though.

I also think presale takes a lot of the stress out of the whole ticket procurement process. Payment plan it and chill.
    GA without the shuttle were sold during the post lineup on sale. May have been hard to find but they were present.

there were more scalpers under the old system. Pre-sale is not the only factor but it is a factor in reduced scalping
    Agreed. Eliminating single day tickets and restricting camping pass purchases has also helped quite a bit. And the second weekend has hurt either.

Best of luck to all buyers for quick loading pages and short waiting times during pre-sale today!
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    GA without the shuttle were sold during the post lineup on sale. May have been hard to find but they were present.
    Were you able to get GA w/o shuttle? I think you're speculating because I was refreshing at 10 am for w/e 2.

The point remains the same.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbles View Post
    Were you able to get GA w/o shuttle? I think you're speculating because I was refreshing at 10 am for w/e 2.

The point remains the same.
    It was reported by several purchasers in last years pre-sale thread. Some were even late(soon before sell out announcement) purchasers.