Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Presale has Killed Coachella

Default Re: Why Presale has Killed Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by still_lurking View Post
    Presale has killed Coachella.
    No it hasn't. It's allowed me, someone who first attended Coachella way back in 2001, to plan much better for it. The payment plans have been amazing and has made life much easier when budgeting for the festival

Yes, it seems like a really cool setup because you can make sure to get your ticket in advance with a payplan. I get it, however it is an amazing marketing scheme aimed at making sure Corporatechella is maximizing profits...
    So, what you're saying is that Goldenvoice - a company that is in the business to make money from selling tickets to concerts and festivals - has a plan in place to maximize the amount of money it makes on these events? Crazy.

• When Corporatechella runs the presales numbers, they know how many tickets are booked and sold and know their revenue in advance. That being said, they know how many more tickets they must sell to hit their targets.
    • Corporatechella knows exactly how much profit they have made before booking any bands.
    • Corporatechella will NOT spend money on the lineup if their margins are met in the presale.
    • If Corporatechella does not hit their #s during the presale, it will be forced to have an above average lineup to sell out. Accordingly, you could expect solid bands if presale doesn't go well.
    • There will be, and is, an indirect relationship between the amount of tickets sold in the presale and the amount of money spent by Corporatechella on the lineup.
    See, I would follow this logic except for the fact that GV shut down its presale for both weekends in mere hours when it could have easily let the presale continue until both weekends sold out complete (which I believe it could have done within a day or two, maximum). They already know the festival will sell out both weekends.

Also, Coachella will not spend money on the lineup? I beg to differ. First off, in comparison with 2012, there are 30+ extra acts on the lineup in 2013. The middle-tiered acts look to be - at worst - on par with any previous year. The dance lineup looks like it may have cost less than last year, but the level of music quality increased with this lineup. Then there are the reports of GV offering The Smiths and The Rolling Stones -- two acts that would have cost millions.

Your theory only works in the world where Coachella doesn't have a chance of selling out of general admission both weekends and, sorry, that world does not exist. It will sell out two weekends for the foreseeable future and Goldenvoice is fully aware of that.

Looking at 2013: Corporatechella sold out for the first weekend, and probably was close to selling out for the 2nd weekend. In advance, Corporatechella knew they only had to sell a small amount of tickets (i do not know their margins) to sell their allotted amount, and they knew this before booking the lineup. This is why 2013's lineup is cheap.
    Actually, weekend one did not sell out during presale. Also -- I repeat -- there are many more acts booked on the lineup this year in comparison to last. They are adding a stage. Those are two things they didn't need to spend money on for the lineup to sell out, but they did anyway.

The only way to get a good lineup in the future is for Corporatechella to not sell well during the presale.
    This lineup IS good. Say what you will about the legitimacy of Blur / The Stone Roses / Phoenix headlining, the overall lineup is much better than last year's edition.

Whoever thought up the idea of a presale, is a fucking genius.
    I agree. It's made Coachella much easier for me as my responsibilities and list of bills have grown over the years.

Just in case you didnt get it the first time: There will be, and is, an indirect relationship between the amount of tickets sold in the presale and the amount of money spent by Corporatechella on the lineup...food for thought when itching to get that week 1 pass next year.

Carry on...
    Just in case you didn't get it the first time: You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 02-01-2013 at 10:12 AM.

Presale has killed Coachella. Yes, it seems like a really cool setup because you can make sure to get your ticket in advance with a payplan. I get it, however it is an amazing marketing scheme aimed at making sure Corporatechella is maximizing profits...

• When Corporatechella runs the presales numbers, they know how many tickets are booked and sold and know their revenue in advance. That being said, they know how many more tickets they must sell to hit their targets.
    • Corporatechella knows exactly how much profit they have made before booking any bands.
    • Corporatechella will NOT spend money on the lineup if their margins are met in the presale.
    • If Corporatechella does not hit their #s during the presale, it will be forced to have an above average lineup to sell out. Accordingly, you could expect solid bands if presale doesn't go well.
    • There will be, and is, an indirect relationship between the amount of tickets sold in the presale and the amount of money spent by Corporatechella on the lineup.

Looking at 2013: Corporatechella sold out for the first weekend, and probably was close to selling out for the 2nd weekend. In advance, Corporatechella knew they only had to sell a small amount of tickets (i do not know their margins) to sell their allotted amount, and they knew this before booking the lineup. This is why 2013's lineup is cheap.

The only way to get a good lineup in the future is for Corporatechella to not sell well during the presale. Whoever thought up the idea of a presale, is a fucking genius.

Just in case you didnt get it the first time: There will be, and is, an indirect relationship between the amount of tickets sold in the presale and the amount of money spent by Corporatechella on the lineup...food for thought when itching to get that week 1 pass next year.

Carry on...
    Going with your logic, this would only happen once and end Coachella altogether. (This would only happen once and end Coachella)...but seriously think about it a minute, if giong with their "scheme" as you like to lay out then the people, like myself who bought tickets in advance would never do that again. If they didnt have much care for the lineup and had the attitude that "these people will follow anything" they wouldnt have much of a festival.

People like myself know they will do their best to put out the best possible festival for that year. Also on top of them booking bands, artists/managers have to say yes, perhaps a lot of major headliners that you like aren't touring this year. As world class as Coachella is, some bands dont drop everything for Goldenvoice.

You really just sound bitter that it sold out. And honestly, if there was no pre-sale it would still be the same problem. Actually it would be worse, because those roughly 60000 tickets sold in May would add to the stress of the server in January.

Technically the first weekend still has tickets left. Around 2,500-5,000 VIP For weekend one and somewhere in the 5-10k range of GA tickets.

Industry sale goes on in March.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    so how's your freshman year going? is college everything you hoped it would be?
    best line on this shitty thread

And guy, if you don't buy your pre sale ticket nobody is going to miss you.

And there is someone in line, right behind you that is waiting to buy that ticket....and someone behind them, and them, and them, and them, and that guy, and that person.....

Presale has killed Coachella. Yes, it seems like a really cool setup because you can make sure to get your ticket in advance with a payplan. I get it, however it is an amazing marketing scheme aimed at making sure Corporatechella is maximizing profits...

The only way to get a good lineup in the future is for Corporatechella to not sell well during the presale. Whoever thought up the idea of a presale, is a fucking genius.

Carry on...
    Why presale saved coachella:

Corporatechella will NOT spend money on the lineup if their margins are met in the presale.

This means that instead of getting a 'sellout' lineup - expensive, terrible, cheesy acts like Tiesto, Skrillex, Swedish House Mafie, Deadmau5, David Guetta, Kings of Leon, etc. which the festival only books to sell tickets, we get high-quality, more underground, less expensive but more talented acts such as Jamie Jones, Loco Dice, Descendents, Violent Femmes, Maya Jane Coles, Phoenix and Stone Roses headlining, the list goes on and on.

Presale prevents Coachella from selling out (in the colloquial sense).

Hooray!!! We get the best electronic lineup and one of the best overall lineups we've ever had!!!

PS. OP is probably a huge Skrillex fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    it's like, at coachella, we can be a whole group of friends. a whole group of frogs jumping into the streets, jumping into the planet, climbing up the buildings, swimming in the lakes and in the bathtubs. we would be hundreds, thousands, millions. the biggest group of friends the world has ever seen, jumping and laughing forever. it would be great, right?
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012x2

OP works for Live Nation™

i hope coachella DOES make money, because that means more coachellas! besides every year (especially since '07 or so) this business has listened to its customers and tried to improve upon logistics and make it a better experience than years past, and every year they have successful imo (well there was 2010... but i can forgive due to the lineup).

enjoy your next Live Nation™ show. while you are there tell me how you enjoy paying $6 for a 16 oz. bottle of water to which you arent even allowed to keep the cap, that is if they dont pour it into a cup because "bottles arent allowed"
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

not every artist that is approached to play agrees to or is available to. there are a ton of reasons why certain artists don't/can't, etc. its really dumb to assume that band or bands are not there cuz coachella didnt want them or try. everything the OP babbles about is retarded theory of someone who has no idea what they are talking about. but it is for sure humorous to read. carry on
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by Pea View Post
    Coachella has the entire fucking world by the balls every single fucking year because every single fucking year every single fucking person on the planet thinks NEXT YEAR WILL BE THE YEAR THEY LAND DAFT PUNK so they snatch up all the fucking pre-sale tickets only to not fucking get Daft Punk, get sad, angry, over it, rinse, and repeat again the following year.

IT'S THE PERFECT FUCKING FORMULA

...which is why Daft Punk will never fucking play Coachella again, but the rumors will keep circulating year after year forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever.

There is some humorous merit to this. Imagine lineup expectations the year AFTER Daft Punk plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

We buy presales every year because we love Coachella, we love the experience, and we've always been pleased with the lineup. Some years are better than others (like this year!!), but even when there's a less-stuffed lineup, that just gives you more time to check out new artists, hang with friends, and look at the art. Yet I've been going since 2009 and never had that chance, actually. Every year I am running around like a crazy trying to see all of the shows.

If you don't like what GV is doing, don't go to Coachella.

Este es el mejor lineup. El mejor

Quote Originally Posted by Tendeafears View Post
    We buy presales every year because we love Coachella, we love the experience, and we've always been pleased with the lineup. Some years are better than others (like this year!!), but even when there's a less-stuffed lineup, that just gives you more time to check out new artists, hang with friends, and look at the art. Yet I've been going since 2009 and never had that chance, actually. Every year I am running around like a crazy trying to see all of the shows.

If you don't like what GV is doing, don't go to Coachella.
    my first year (2008) was relaxed because I had not yet been inspired (by Coachella) to be a real fan of music. Each consecutive year it seems harder and harder to see it all....
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    I've done a lot of things at music festivals in my day. And like most people, sure, I've fingered some butt holes during LCD Soundsystem. No big.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I'm just gonna say this once.

the folks who work at goldenvoice are not greedy shills. they're real human beings, who you can actually talk to if you're genuinely interested and appreciative and respectful.

they well and truly turn their lives upside down trying to make this festival the best experience it can be for all of us. fighting our battles with everyone from ticketers, city council, landowners, and booking agencies, through to contractors, vendors, and security companies. appreciate the insane amount of hard work they do. I guarantee neither you nor I could do the job they do as a team.

and all that aside, this lineup is one of the most varied, courageous, unconventional, and well curated collections of music new, old, rare, and revered, that I have ever seen. look past the first line. it's going to be impossible to come out of this weekend unchanged as a music fan.

so all at once, let's drop the insane entitlement and all together, just once, say it together.

come on, deep breath

THANK YOU TEAM COACHELLA!

Carry on...

How do you know they didnt book bands in advance before even having the onsale? You know its turned into a year round job of getting the acts they desire for the festival, fight? Well how about this, what if they just sell it all when the LAYAWAY sale begins and then they laugh at you for thinking its not right to do this....

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    I'm just gonna say this once.

the folks who work at goldenvoice are not greedy shills. they're real human beings, who you can actually talk to if you're genuinely interested and appreciative and respectful.

they well and truly turn their lives upside down trying to make this festival the best experience it can be for all of us. fighting our battles with everyone from ticketers, city council, landowners, and booking agencies, through to contractors, vendors, and security companies. appreciate the insane amount of hard work they do. I guarantee neither you nor I could do the job they do as a team.

and all that aside, this lineup is one of the most varied, courageous, unconventional, and well curated collections of music new, old, rare, and revered, that I have ever seen. look past the first line. it's going to be impossible to come out of this weekend unchanged as a music fan.

so all at once, let's drop the insane entitlement and all together, just once, say it together.

come on, deep breath

THANK YOU TEAM COACHELLA!
    Excellent post.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    This is true. I had a short facebook convo with paul t a few days ago. It started because he saw a spam post from southwest airlines on my timeline, and asked me to remove it. i obliged, then thanked him for the lineup. He replied 'there are some gems in the small print'.

From the mouth of the man behind the curtain, that is the essence of coachella
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

It's not really a presale any more...it is now THE SALE. If you miss it, you lose.

The "real sale" is for sloppy seconds.

Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    No it hasn't. It's allowed me, someone who first attended Coachella way back in 2001, to plan much better for it. The payment plans have been amazing and has made life much easier when budgeting for the festival

So, what you're saying is that Goldenvoice - a company that is in the business to make money from selling tickets to concerts and festivals - has a plan in place to maximize the amount of money it makes on these events? Crazy.

See, I would follow this logic except for the fact that GV shut down its presale for both weekends in mere hours when it could have easily let the presale continue until both weekends sold out complete (which I believe it could have done within a day or two, maximum). They already know the festival will sell out both weekends.

Also, Coachella will not spend money on the lineup? I beg to differ. First off, in comparison with 2012, there are 30+ extra acts on the lineup in 2013. The middle-tiered acts look to be - at worst - on par with any previous year. The dance lineup looks like it may have cost less than last year, but the level of music quality increased with this lineup. Then there are the reports of GV offering The Smiths and The Rolling Stones -- two acts that would have cost millions.

Your theory only works in the world where Coachella doesn't have a chance of selling out of general admission both weekends and, sorry, that world does not exist. It will sell out two weekends for the foreseeable future and Goldenvoice is fully aware of that.

Actually, weekend one did not sell out during presale. Also -- I repeat -- there are many more acts booked on the lineup this year in comparison to last. They are adding a stage. Those are two things they didn't need to spend money on for the lineup to sell out, but they did anyway.

This lineup IS good. Say what you will about the legitimacy of Blur / The Stone Roses / Phoenix headlining, the overall lineup is much better than last year's edition.

I agree. It's made Coachella much easier for me as my responsibilities and list of bills have grown over the years.

Just in case you didn't get it the first time: You don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
    Google: Premise

Cliffnotes: you are comparing a presale year to a presale year.

Conclusion:You don't know what the fuck you are talking about

why are we engaging this idiot. lets look at this gem of a thread he made:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...hella-Scalpers

it's pretty clear that you have an issue with GV as a business so why the fuck do you continue to give them your money?
    Thats an awesome thread btw

so how's your freshman year going? is college everything you hoped it would be?
    I'm not in college

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian View Post
    Why presale saved coachella:

Corporatechella will NOT spend money on the lineup if their margins are met in the presale.

This means that instead of getting a 'sellout' lineup - expensive, terrible, cheesy acts like Tiesto, Skrillex, Swedish House Mafie, Deadmau5, David Guetta, Kings of Leon, etc. which the festival only books to sell tickets, we get high-quality, more underground, less expensive but more talented acts such as Jamie Jones, Loco Dice, Descendents, Violent Femmes, Maya Jane Coles, Phoenix and Stone Roses headlining, the list goes on and on.

Presale prevents Coachella from selling out (in the colloquial sense).

Hooray!!! We get the best electronic lineup and one of the best overall lineups we've ever had!!!

PS. OP is probably a huge Skrillex fan.
    Those...are some great points, and you took it in another direction. Both could be seen as truth.

I am not a Skrillex fan. If I was into shitty EDM I'd go to Daisy Carnival. I totally agree that to sellout tickets, Coachella could be forced into getting acts like Tiesto, Swedish House Mafia, etc.

Yes, they did skip over skrillex, swedish house mafia types which is appreciated. However; with that money saved, they saved the cash instead of going for a few huge headliners.

The only issue I have is that with the Presale "sellout", they still could have gotten better bands as headliners. Find one year with a bad undercard -- you will not find it. Every year there are a shit-ton of great bands. What differentiates one year from the next is the Headliners. This year the headliners suck. In a good year, The Stone Roses would have been listed around 4th in a day.

That being said, Coachella is a Corporation, and Corporations are not bad. If anyone with sense reads what I wrote, it is obvious I stating that the presale was an excellent Corporate move. That being said, Coachella is now Corporate and it is completely mainstream.

hey dude. read this.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    not every artist that is approached to play agrees to or is available to. there are a ton of reasons why certain artists don't/can't, etc. its really dumb to assume that band or bands are not there cuz coachella didnt want them or try. everything the OP babbles about is retarded theory of someone who has no idea what they are talking about. but it is for sure humorous to read. carry on

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    If you are not actually reiumbursed in some fashion by the Coachella brand, then you are wasting your time. If you are in fact reiumbursed in some fashion by the Coachella brand, then its obvious where your motives lie.

It's fantastic you pointed the following out: its really dumb to assume that band or bands are not there cuz coachella didnt want them or try.

Trying is one thing, getting them is a separate thing. If Coachella had to get the Rolling Stones this year to sell out, they would have paid what The Rolling Stones wanted to get them there. Because Coachella did NOT need them to play to sell out, they skipped them. Yes, Coachella tried. But, because they didnt need it, they preferred to keep the cash then fork it over to the real Stones.

Life is all about doing, not trying. Trying does not make a lineup -- doing does. I can tell you where the money saved from not booking the Rolling Stones did not go - it did not go to the lineup.

That money was not spent on the lineup because Coachella was already projected to sell out due to the presale.

^ is this guy for real?

If you are not actually reiumbursed in some fashion by the Coachella brand, then you are wasting your time. If you are in fact reiumbursed in some fashion by the Coachella brand, then its obvious where your motives lie.

It's fantastic you pointed the following out: its really dumb to assume that band or bands are not there cuz coachella didnt want them or try.

Trying is one thing, getting them is a separate thing. If Coachella had to get the Rolling Stones this year to sell out, they would have paid what The Rolling Stones wanted to get them there. Because Coachella did NOT need them to play to sell out, they skipped them. Yes, Coachella tried. But, because they didnt need it, they preferred to keep the cash then fork it over to the real Stones.

Life is all about doing, not trying. Trying does not make a lineup -- doing does. I can tell you where the money saved from not booking the Rolling Stones did not go - it did not go to the lineup.

That money was not spent on the lineup because Coachella was already projected to sell out due to the presale.
    youre missing the point. the point is not every artist/band is available to play. No one knows why the Rolling Stones fell through, if they ever did at all.

Dude. You are so completely missing the point she made to the point where I'm wondering if you're trolling. Despite how hard Coachella "tries", many artists are simply not available. They do not have new music out. They do not have a live show ready to go. They have a live show, but are on the other side of the globe during Coachella on their own tour. They are in the studio making a new album during Coachella. The band members hate each other and have made it very public that they are not reuniting. The band is taking an off year to pursue other things. A band member's wedding is during Coachella. The band may be available, but at a price that is not justifiable for a music festival (this really only applies to, like, the Stones and U2). The band may be available, but would demand billing that would not make sense in an American market (I've always suspected this is the case with Jamiroquai) and thus prefer to play internationally. There are a trillion reasons a band may not be available.

Coachella, as with any music festival, does not have access to every band in the world. Most, including many of the biggest names, are not available. They instead work within the much smaller pool of acts that are available, and produce the best lineup they can out of those names.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

THE PRESALE IS UNDERWHELMING DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT SOLD OUT. FACTS PEOPLE.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Can you prove this?
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Answer me this though, had there been a presale in 2008 and the entire festival sold out.... would they have spent big money to add Prince to the lineup like they did to try and boost last minute ticket sales....or just left Portishead/Jack Johnson/Roger Waters because they already made their money. If they got rid of the presale, and this 2013 edition didnt sell out, perhaps they would add a massive headliner for Saturday instead of Phoenix.... we'll never know now.
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields