Thread: Who haven't you heard?

Default Who haven't you heard?

Tell us the bands you haven't heard, and then people will describe them to the best of their abilities.

Day 1:Brazilian Girls, We Are Scientists, Digitalism, Julieta Venegas, Gillian Welch, Tilly and the Wall, Amy Winehouse, David Guetta, the Noisettes, Evil Nine

Day 2:Tiesto, Gotan Project, Ozomatli, Jack's Mannequin, VNV Nation, The Frames, The Fratellis, Bojones, Fields, Cribs, Mike Relm, DJ Heather, Pop Levi, Yeva

Day 3:Happy Mondays, Crowded House (I should know these two!), Richie Hawtin, Soulwax, Infected Mushroom, Amos Lee, Against Me!, The Feeling, The Kooks, Klaxons, Teddybears, Mando Diao, Mika, The Coup, Anathallo, Fair to Midland
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: Who haven't you heard?

Gillian Welch - beautiful bluegrassy folky roots country, twangy
    Tilly and the Wall - Powerful harmonized female vocals with a tap dancer for percussion, sometimes the guy sings and he sounds kind of like Conor Oberst.
    Mike Relm - Dj with a cool video show, described by some as "an asian Sean Lennon".
    The Coup - Revolutionary active sassy tight wonderful hip hop - the best hip hop act in the lineup.

Day 1: The Jesus and Mary Chain, Jarvis Cocker, Faithless, Brazilian Girls, Felix Da Housecat, Digitilism, Julieta Venegas, Gogol Bordello, Circa Survive, Benny Benassi, David Guetta, Evil Nine

Day 2: Tiesto, Ozomatli, Jack's Mannequin, VNV Nation, the Nightwatchman, Roky Erikson, Cornelius, the Fratellis, Justice, Bojones, The Cribs, DJ Heather, Pop Levi, Yeva

Day 3: Manu Chao, Paul Van Dyk, Konono No 1, Richie Hawtin, Infected Mushroom, Amos Lee, Spank Rock, Against Me!, The Feeling, The Kooks, Klaxons, Mika, The Avett Bros, Anathallo, Fair to Midland
    Last edited by full on idle; 01-23-2007 at 09:42 AM.

i can only do two before I leave for class.
    Jesus and Mary Chain-Phil Spector-y Girl Group songs with layers of distortion. Raveonettes want to be them. Huge influence on My Bloody Valentine.

Konono No. 1-A Liberian (i think) Likembe (thumb piano) troupe. They use homemade amplification created from car parts, which gives them a very droning sound. It's very much "world" music and really energetic.

CHECK OUT KLAXONS! THEY HAVE A MYSPACE MUSIC PAGE WHERE YOU CAN LISTEN TO THEIR 3 BEST SONGS. THEY ARE ONE OF THE BANDS I'M MOST EXCITED TO SEE!@

someone remind me - what were crowded house's big tunes in the 80s? i know i'll recognize it when i hear it but i just can't seem to place them right now..

Don't Dream it's Over
    Something So Strong
    Better Be Home Soon

allmusic.com is an excellent site if you're looking for info on any bands you don't know. Their overviews will give you group members, influences, and a 'sounds like' list to use as a point of reference. They also have album reviews and bios.

And no, I don't work for them. I just think it's a great site.

yeah, Allmusic is really good, but I'd also like feedback from fans. Why they like them. Don't just say "Go to their myspace" because we all know we can do that. What is the band like?

VNV Nation - industrial/goth/ebm band - and surprisingly good live.
    Of course i'm home. I'm always home. I'm uncool! - Lester Bangs, 'Almost Famous'

cool

Happy Mondays- early 90's leader of the "Manchester Sound". The movie "24 Hour Party People" is named after one of their songs and is partially about them. Biggest US hits..."Step On" and "Kinky Afro" ("Yippie Yippie Yi Yi Yay...I had to crucify some brother today") Kinda overrated, but I'll be there anyway.

Crowded House- Pop group from New Zealand. Songs listed above are super mellow, but they had a darker side ("Kill Eye", "Mean To Me"). Other hits, "Chocolate Cake" & "Locked Out" which was on a popular movie soundtrack (forget which one.) Live shows are surprisingly energetic. Members were formerly in Split Enz, a kind of art-punk 70s group that eventually morphed into straight pop..."I Got You" has been covered by just about everyone from The Connells to Vitamin C to Pearl Jam. Supposedly, Split Enz toured Australia as recently as 2006, so I'm surprised we're getting Crowded House instead of them. (CH is a trio, SE had as many as 7 or 8 members at times.)

Jesus & Mary Chain...there's no way you haven't heard them, you just didn't know it. Two Scottish brothers with sweet pop melodies and gawdawful, ear -wrecking distortion. Early "Shoegazer" influence. "Head On", "Reverence", "April Skies", "Just Like Honey", "Far Gone & Out", "Almost Gold", "Sometimes Always", and several others are alt-rock radio staples. (Maybe not "Reverence"- the single was banned in many places.) The Pixies covered "Head On"...their version is probably almost as popular as the original. In the movie "Lost In Translation", "Just Like Honey" plays over the final scene and credits. You've heard them

VNV Nation- "FuturePop" music similar to Apoptygma Berserk or Velvet Acid Christ. Think Industrial or EBM without the distorted/screamed vocals. They are supposed to be good live, but on CD, I'd rather listen to Apoptygma or Assemblage 23.