Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Lightning in a Bottle 2013

Default Re: Lightning in a Bottle 2013

ill take some reasonably priced weekend tickets if anyone knows of any

Quote Originally Posted by tmac View Post
    ill take some reasonably priced weekend tickets if anyone knows of any
    Same goes for me. This festival is just pretty damn expensive and I have too much $$ wrapped up in other fests.

6 hour line to get wristbands....
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    6 hour line to get wristbands....
    What?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

yeah, will call and people that need to exchange tickets for wristbands.
    2012 2013 2014

We were stupid enough to think we could travel to the ticket booth after we got off of work. 5 hours and still not even close. This is the worst run festival entrance I have ever seen in 15 years of going to parties like this. Terrible.
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

My binder of why everything in southern california is so horrible is already soooo thick, though

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Wow I am so glad I decided to take this year off....

I finally got in on the second day. There was no line at the box office. This amazing festival was worth the effort!
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

6 hour line? Don't only a couple thousand attend this every year?? Do they have one person working?
    For your health

Yikes. That'd suck.

many people actually waited as long as 8 or 9 hours. sure, it was kinda terrible, but there was a pretty cool vibe even while everyone was waiting in line and after just a few hours at the fest on friday, they more than made it up to me. really, the will call/ticket line was the only thing that needs fixing. I'll be there next year and as many years as possible after that. this is an amazing event and I had a wonderful time!!

Do Lab and Lightning in a Bottle, you are the fest! -signed, your new friend, Beth

2012 2013 2014

I heard the police presence was out of control-any truth to that?

while I wouldn't really call it "out of control*" compared to other events I've attended, Riverside County Sheriffs were definitely present on sunday. Helicopters were patrolling a few times a day and at one point near the back of the lightning stage I watched what appeared to be wave after wave of cops creating a perimeter along the back and then walking singe file into the crowd. as it turns out, what I thought was wave after wave of cops, was actually the same 8 or so cops wandering anywhere and everywhere. Friday and Saturday were fairly chill and most of the uniformed police/sheriffs remained along the outskirts of the festival and didn't get in any one's way. later on saturday, there were several reports of undercovers (aren't there always?) that busted anywhere from 5 to 80 people depending on who was telling the story. some reports even indicated that undercover cops would ask for drugs, get turned down and then place money in their pocket to make the arrest. of course there are always these reports at music festivals and usually the truth is somewhere in between.

I personally only witnessed the strong police presence I mentioned above shortly before midnight on sunday, but since they randomly decided to enforce a 12am noise curfew on saturday night after some residents complained and started shutting down side stages and renegade stages and even just a radio in camp I really thought that they were going to take it one step forward and start pushing the crowd out of the venue proper (but that just turned out to be a result of the drugs haha).

FROM NATIVE GROUNDS TO NARC TOWN??~ walking through a desert at night because i was kid napped and unrightfully charged for something i never did IS JUST WRONG. not only did the "police" loose all my personal belongings they interfered with such strong positive energy we we're all starting to feel within one another. we need to come together, something must be done. i was one of at least 250 people that got arrested for expressing happiness and freedom within my family's comfort and presence, a festival is much more than a money pit. i pray for those still in jail, who have friends, family, even pets still at camp waiting for an answer. we will rise and overcome ~much love
    Our friend and his brother didn't return to their camp for a full day and we had became concerned by this morning. We realized something was wrong and we packed up their camp, fearing that the worst had happened. We had heard and seen undercovers but had no idea to what magnitude they were present. Our suspicions had become reality and we found out that our friend and his brother had been arrested. They weren't read their rights. There were no badges shown. AND we found out that up to TWO HUNDRED other INDIVIDUALS had become incarcerated as a result of federal authorities sting operations. Upon further investigation, we found out that our friends were victims of entrapment. They were sitting, enjoying some cannabis and fungus when a stranger approached them and asked to buy some weed. When our friend said he had nothing for sale, the person persisted aggressively to the point of throwing down money regardless of our friends refusal to sell anything. As soon as the undercover dropped the money on the ground in front of them, they were arrested for selling narcotics. This is absolutely and completely horrible. Our friends did NOT have enough stuff to sell, nor were they there to do this.
    *although if the reports of up to 250 people arrested and rumors of entrapment turn out to be true, it would definitely be out of control. honestly, I wouldn't put it passed Riverside County.
    Last edited by scenicworld; 07-15-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added some quotes from the do lab facebook
    2012 2013 2014

Lightning was fun this year. There were a few things that went wrong though that might make me not want to return. First off the noise curfew. All stages were finished by midnight which was lame. On Saturday they had security going through the entire camp grounds shutting off any campground parties!! SO LAME! Also there was a HUGE police presense. I overhead a staff member say that there were 125 undercovers at the festival. A friend of mine that camped with us actually got arrested friday night for distribution. My friend only had 2 tabs and didn't even have the intention of selling, but two undercovers approached him and all he wanted to do was be nice and help them out. They do the transaction and the two leave, then 15 seconds later two cops walk on and handcuff him. LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! They also setup a huge police tower at the main stage so they were just hovering above us. My friend actually noticed undercovers during gladkill that stood out like a sour thumb and poured his water all over there heads LOLOL. They didnt say anything and just left! They also had a water park but the water was only on for like 30 minutes a day, SO LAME!! Its 100 degrees and you keep the water on for 30 minutes.....................
    Oh and yea will call was a bitch. There were two lines, a shorter one for people with hard tickets and one for people with receipts. The short hard ticket line took me 4.5 hours and the longer receipt line took my friends 8 hours. That is fucking ridiculous!

Anyways, the festvial was fun but it was just a bummer compared to last year. I even heard of a kid that got arrested for drinking a beer and he wasnt 21 and didnt look so the cops approached and asked ID........THIS IS A FUCKING MUSIC FESTIVAL AND WE PARTY, GTFO

I had some great moments but if they don't change to a new venue on private property then I am not sure i will go again.
    2012w1
    2013w1

with more and more reports coming out today all I can say is that I'm so glad that no one in my group ran into any problems but that I feel terrible about the people involved in stories that I'm hearing. it's a shame that a fest with such great people and vibes has to overcome something like this. I really hope Do Lab addresses this with some sort of explanation or solution.

on a positive note, I had the best birthday weekend of my life and will remember it forever!! LiB is seriously in the running for one of my favorite overall festival experiences even if I might prefer the lineups of other festivals over that from The Do Lab. so, for selfish reasons, I will always hope that the fest remains close to my birthday and in my backyard but if riverside county chooses to continue this practice next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new location.

over the weekend, I conducted my own informal polling on people I ran into (which was a lot considering that it might be the most friendly festival crowd around!) and I'd say that 80% of attendees were happy with the location and would choose Skinner over Irvine, but there was also about 80% that preferred the former dates in may over july. note: this was not a scientific poll
    2012 2013 2014

Did anyone else see Christian Martin and Worthy turn the woogie upside down for 3 hours? Amazing.

Do Lab is asking for feedback regarding incidents with the police. if you had a bad experience with them, report them here

this article has an interview with a temecula police sergeant. I didn't see much of a temecula police presence, so his perspective may not include the one that Riverside Sheriffs had about the event.
    http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoasts...e_temecula.php

What do you make of the crowd?
    The crowd is a little bit more free with themselves here than they are at Coachella fest, but they're just expressing themselves. They're mellow, nice and respectful. We haven't had much of any problems. They're just enjoying themselves and their music. Everything's all good.

What have been the primary issues this weekend?
    We're seeing quite a bit of dehydration and heat exhaustion. Some drug overdoses. We made a number of arrests for drug-related offenses, but we've had hardly any fights at all between the patrons. They seem to really respect the law enforcement and appreciate that we're here. Overall it's been pretty good, given the number of people here.

What has been your experience working with organizers the Do Lab?
    They're very cooperative with us. Obviously they have certain obligations they have to fulfill to the county and to the sheriff's department to contract with us to provide law enforcement. The working environment they've created is quite nice.
    the only time I spoke to a cop was when one of them was walking near the back of the bamboo stage and was about to get hit with some poi balls and I just yelled at him to watch out for them. he stopped to say thanks and I asked what he thought of the event and he just said that it looks like everyone was having a good time and then walked away.
    2012 2013 2014

2012 2013 2014

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I don't get the noise curfew. It looks like there's no houses anywhere near the event.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

The IE sucks. Bring it back to Irvine!

There are houses sporadically scattered all around the area but they are mostly large acre, ranch style homes. There's also a housing track on the opposite side of the lake, but that's rather far away. I found an article that said about 30 people complained and that the closest was 2 miles away. My camp wasn't even that far and it wasn't incredibly loud from there (my camp was close to family camp).

the original permit had an agreement that noise levels could be raised for this event but after the complaints on friday, the revised the permit for the rest of the weekend. The original permit also included acoustic and unamplified after hours music, but it's not clear if that was removed or not since they shut down everything saturday night and then only allowed a few camps and super tall paul to play sunday night.

really, this is more a reflection on the choice of music than the volume of it. this might as well be Tem-tucky, especially the further east of temecula you actually go. if LiB was playing some america and jesus loving music, they'd have put out chairs on the porch.

here's the article: http://www.pe.com/local-news/riversi...complaints.ece
    Last edited by scenicworld; 07-16-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    2012 2013 2014

this doesn't sound very plur

Its amazing how well sound travels over water. Not surprised at all that people seemingly far away could hear it.

Sounds like this fest is getting worse every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Dance like nobody's watching.

Coachellabound 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 Fuck I'm Old Now.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Its amazing how well sound travels over water. Not surprised at all that people seemingly far away could hear it.
    I'm sure they took all that into consideration when they did the study since they hold other events and concerts out there and know the typical patterns of sound in the area. I guess another difference is that the other events have their noise curfews at 10pm and LiB's amplified curfue was 12am and that extra 2 hours was too much for them. I still think most of the complaints were driven from the type of music than the volume levels.

I still had a great weekend and will plan on attending next year. if Riverside county was cooperative enough to give a new type of permit to Do Lab for after hours, I don't see why they can't work through all these issues as well in time for next year. well, other than it being Riverside county.
    Last edited by scenicworld; 07-16-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    2012 2013 2014

Because the dirt people don't like fun.

a total of 58 people were arrested. http://www.myvalleynews.com/story/72237/story/72237/

Tuesday, July 16th, 2013
    Issue 29, Volume 17.

The event, known as "Lightning in a Bottle" occurred at Lake Skinner between Friday, July 12th and Sunday, July 14th, attracted an estimated crowd of approximately 15,000 each day of the event. A contingent of Riverside County Sheriff's Department personnel provided security as well as took enforcement action against event participants engaged in illegal activity. Specifically, Riverside County Sheriff's Department personnel, in conjunction with members from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration and the state Alcohol and Beverage Control office, detected numerous participants engaged in criminal acts including activity associated with the intent to possess and sell illegal drugs.

Teams from the Sheriff's Department along with DEA, and ABC were able to solicit the sales of illegal drugs and immediately took those responsible into custody, seizing the illegal drugs involved. Several different categories and significant quantities of illegal drugs were seized as a result of the arrests made. The sales of these illegal drug types constitute crimes classified as felonies. The illegal drugs seized were as follows:

Cocaine, Ketamine, LSD, Marijuana, MDMA (Ecstasy), Methamphetamine, PCP, Various prescription narcotics (without a doctor's prescription), and Psilocybin.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Because the dirt people don't like fun.
    nor do they like to see others having fun.
    Last edited by scenicworld; 07-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    2012 2013 2014

Pffff, this was the best LiB I have been to out of 4, by far, even with getting sick saturday night. 2010 was great, but this was so dialed in by the production staff (minus the system going down at the box office on thursday, unfortunate mishap) that it pretty much blew them all away. Way better location. Super clean, serene venue to walk around and enjoy. Splash pad rocked and made life great. Yeah, it was hot, which made it tiring at times, but that's how it goes... spent a fair amount of time during the day under my shade structure, but it was with friends so it was great. Lots of scattered shade on the festival grounds to take naps or lounge around at any of the stages.

The cops were nice to me. I was camped right on Squirling Around, one of the main roads, they passed by 100 times a day on their tractors, and our smoke never drew their attention. From my view, they were just keeping the peace. The helicopter landed once, I think because a guy had passed out in the middle of the festival grounds by an art structure. They just took him away in an ambulance though. There weren't that many cops working the beat. I saw 2 sheriff patrol unit vehicles only twice, 2 or 3 pairs of sheriffs on Kubota tractors, and was never approached by an undercover so there probably weren't that many. I felt the police presence was just about as equal as its been in past LiBs, and just as non-invasive. One incident I heard was that security approached a group of people rolling joints and were told that they had to dump their stash or leave the festival. Security said, "this is a smoke and drug free festival", and then laughed with the group at the ridiculousness of that rule.

All the people I talked to that were locals were super friendly. But I knew after 20 minutes of being in Temecula that the town would probably have some issues with the free loving hippies. My lady worked in the healing sanctuary for massage therapy and the city or whatever was debating on letting it happen because they were concerned about the skin on skin contact. lol. I guess the complaints mean not everyone was happy offsite either. They definitely got their wish though, I walked by pantyraid and it sounded terribly flat and quiet and I bounced immediately. But the workers were nice, one guy even came by after the festival to help me pull rebar out.

My friends waited 9 hours in the ticket line. They didn't care, they were just happy they were there. Everyone pretty much forgot about it by Friday night anyways. I was never bored at night. There was so much to see and do and there were at least 10 renegade stages in earshot of my camp so I know that there was no shortage of music. It did get more quiet a few times throughout the night, but never silent. Whether it was the burlesque casino, psychedelic bingo, altered visions psychedelic 3D experience, the tea lounge, or any of the acoustic music from the temple and lumi, there was always something out there for you if you wanted.

I was so happy about the music this year. Blew any other years away for me. Blockhead Friday afternoon was blazing hot, but I danced in the sun the whole time. So much funnn. Bamboo had some great sets, didn't see much at the main, but the Woogie was the god damn business… here's a taste…

Francois K was my favorite there. Acid Pauli, Dirtybird, Thugfucker, Lee Burridge, Cari Lekebusch (holyfuckingdarktechno,drillingintomyskull, what a BAMF that guy was), Tim Green, Marques Wyatt.. everyone was top notch and ready to throw down. Moby even came by on Sunday. Said he was there to see Lee and that was the only person he knew on the line up. haha.

I'll upload some more video I got on sunday night. Seriously fantastic year. Can't wait to go to more festivals like it this year (Raindance and Symbi…) But I really can't wait to go back to LIB... SO MUCH FUN. thanks for everything Do Lab and volunteers. That was a top notch experience.
    Last edited by zimmy1222; 07-17-2013 at 01:34 AM.