Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate The 2013 Acts You've Already Seen As Live Performers

Default Re: Rate The 2013 Acts You've Already Seen As Live Performers

The only thing that sucks about this thread is the consensus here will likely convince uninformed Coachella-goers to venture towards seeing bands like Cloud Nothings and Descendents. I don't want people to know how great those shows are going to be. Really hoping Descendents are on at the same time as Phoenix.
    My Arcade Fire Brooklyn review
    @cloneradio

Coachella '10, '11, '12 Weekend 1, '13 Weekend 1, '14 Weekend 1
    Lollapalooza '08, '12, '13
    Bonnaroo '13
    Sarsfest' 03
    Rock Am Ring '06
    Download Festival '06
    Novarock '06
    Rock The Bells '07
    Orion Festival '12
    Made In America '12, '13
    Laneway Detroit '13

I saw grizzly bear at the Hollywood bowl a couple years back. They were fucking amazing live, totally blew me away. Way better than the last time h played coachella, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFunkyPrecedent View Post
    Really? I love the TWoD live and I love all Vile's albums - I guess I just assumed it was gonna be the same.
    Agreed. I've got all Kurt's albums and listen to them a ton, and Smoke Ring was my favorite album of 2011, but he just isn't great with his band for some reason. I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinger19 View Post
    The only thing that sucks about this thread is the consensus here will likely convince uninformed Coachella-goers to venture towards seeing bands like Cloud Nothings and Descendents. I don't want people to know how great those shows are going to be. Really hoping Descendents are on at the same time as Phoenix.
    Whatever you do, steer clear away from Tanlines.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvny on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Agreed. I've got all Kurt's albums and listen to them a ton, and Smoke Ring was my favorite album of 2011, but he just isn't great with his band for some reason. I dunno.
    My brother saw him and LA and said something similar. I saw him in Phoenix the same week and thought he was really great. Have you seen him more than once with The Violators?
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

I'm going to add another opinion about Passion Pit. Michael Angelakos has improved his live vocals IMMENSELY (partially because there was a lot of room for that improvement), so if you're basing your opinion on their live show on what you saw a couple years ago, keep that improvement in mind.

That being said, it's still not for everyone, and I still don't think it translates live nearly as well as it does in the studio. If you're a big fan of their music, I'd definitely still give them a shot. If not, maybe stray clear.

Saw The XX last night at in Miami.

Great show. The opener Austra was good as well.

The song live sounded great, the lights were great, moody then well timed during the heavy percussion parts.
    Great transitions using some good house beats inbetween.

Great chemistry on stage and great energy throughout.

okay im gonna do my best at this.... i've seen a decent number of these bands

YES--

Modest Mouse people say they are on or off. I've always had good experiences with their live shows.

La Roux we were right up front in 2010 for her appearance and I had a ball!

Infected Mushroom even in the daytime at Vegoose in 2007 they totally got the crowd pumped. these guys are really fun live. they perform more as a band than as a traditional electronic setup. they have guitar players who totally shred.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs Karen O kills it. Nuff said.

Metric definitely impressive to see

Hot Chip these guys put on a show!

Grizzly Bear solid, and if you like their music it's hard to be disappointed. they aren't terribly lively but they sound good.

Yeasayer solid show

MEH--

Passion Pit I dunno it just didn't impress me all that much. Love the studio albums so I will still be watching again this year and hoping for the best.

Local Natives these guys are pretty good on their record but I saw them at coachella a couple years ago but missed most their set so saw them again in Tucson right after the festival. The show was a bit of a snoozefest and we hung out after to say hi to the dudes at their merch table after and they were total dicks.

The Faint not bad but eh, it's the Faint. They kinda just stand there and look like puppets (they are very strange looking guys)

Portugal The Man saw em years ago and wasn't feelin it but maybe I owe them another chance.

The XX ...snooze I can't believe I bought their new album
    Years attended: ...'08...'09...'10...'11...'12...'13!!

Here's my take on bands not on the top 2 lines.

Grimes and Japandroids are both really great but like someone mentioned they take too much time between songs and it can kind of kill the buzz. But worth checking out. I saw DIIV open for Japandroids in December and they blew me away.

Divine Fits is a must see, if you were a fan of Spoon, Wolf Parade or Handsome Furs then you know this already.

Purity Ring puts on a great live show.

I saw Tame Impala twice last year, solid live band but kind of boring and looked really tired of touring. Considering that they haven't stopped touring I'll skip this one.

Metric is the worst live band I've ever seen, both times. Emily Haines is terrible, the band is ok I suppose.

Of Monsters of Men and Band Of Horses are really great live bands that are fun. If there's not a major conflict I'll check them out again. Franz Ferdinand would also be in this category for me, they played a solid set at Osheaga last year.

You will be amazed at how awesome Moby is, even if you already think he's amazing.

Jeff The Brotherhood, yes! I saw them open for the Kills and they upstaged them.

If you have good drugs, Spiritualized would be your best vehicle for the ride.

I hope Portugal. the man play early in the day like Destroyer last year. They're a nice sit out in the sun type of band.
    Last edited by bfq1983; 02-06-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Sigur Ros and James Blake are both dependent on when and where they play. James Blake was great when I saw him at music box but too much noise bleed at FYF. Sigur Ros was nothing less than magical at OSL but could be effected by noise bleed as well.

Portugal. the man Was so so at OSL with a daytime slot on maint stage but were amazing at Index fest in Dallas.
    Simion Mobile Disco Great energy FYF and at Fonda
    Four Tet Suprised me at FYF 2011 in a good way

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

I dont think you should worry about sigur.ros and soundbleed. their new album (out in march?) was described as more 'aggressive' by the band.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by c2sts9 View Post
    Bands/Dj's I have seen-

Can't miss-

Infected Mushroom- I have only seen them with their entire band, but still this is a can't miss IMO

Of Monsters and Men- Amazing @ lolla last year

The Lumineers- Great album, even better live

Yeasayer- One of the reasons why I bought my ticket, awesome show

yer can't miss are awful as fuck...yeasayer are Ok but y'all won't be mad if you miss them
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by arsgunner View Post
    yer can't miss are awful as fuck...yeasayer are Ok but y'all won't be mad if you miss them
    Ooooh, look at me, I know everything about everything...

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Incredible! Not really the worlds biggest fan on album, but this will be the 4th time seeing them live. Most recent being Coachella '09. Karen's stage presence is something else. - 9/10
    Jurassic 5 - its been almost 13 years since I saw J5, and I am sooooo excited that both Nu-Mark and Cut Chemist will be onstage. Few conflicts could keep me from missing them, but a must see for those that love hip-hop. 8.5/10
    Tegan & Sara - ive seen them twice, would be lying if i didnt say i enjoy a few tracks. they talk a lot to the crowd during their sets, which can be both a good and bad thing. 7.5/10
    Beach House - saw them at Coachella '10 and they really impressed me. Victoria has a very subtle approach and it helps create that dreamy effect when performing live. 8/10
    Local Natives - grew up supporting these guys locally and was extremely happy for them when they started making a name for themselves. Caught them in a festival environment (FYF) and their sound carries over very well. 7.5/10
    Of Monsters and Men - saw them at Outside Lands this past summer and they were amazing. its weird because i find this genre a little played out at the moment, but this bands energy live is awesome. 8/10
    Four Tet - if your into his music then you are going to love him live, for such an experimental sound he can really get the crowd moving. 8.5/10
    Aesop Rock - absolutely love this cat!! Him, slug, and sage pretty much got me through highschool. Yet i feel like the only times i saw him live were after, and at this point he had taken a direction i didnt particularly care for. I will deff be watching his set though. 8/10
    I saw Jello Biafra give a speech once, but i guess that doesnt really count.
    Seth Troxler - saw him recently while he was on the Sonar tour, the evening itself worked out to be a perfect setting w/ very little crowd. the music... well its Seth. If your into deep house then your going to move. 8/10

Phoenix - ok... so theyre good. headliner...? No, not that good. I saw them at Coachella '10 and even w/ a somewhat reduced set (i believe the volcano sidelined a few lighting guys and whatnot) they put on a great show. Just a hit filled dance party. But i have a feeling i wont be watching them this year. - 8.5/10
    Sigur Ros - DO NOT MISS! This is the only band i will say this for.... i do not listen to their albums at all, but live.... WOW! A New Order conflict would be the only reason i wouldnt watch them and i would strongly consider pulling weekend 2 if thats the case. I can not even describe the world this band will take you into. - 9.5/10
    Hot Chip - always a great time. Saw them both times at Coachella. '10 on the outdoor > '08 in the Sahara . Even if your having trouble w/ them on album give them a shot. Have a feeling they may close out whatever stage theyre on this year - 8.5/10
    Grizzly Bear - ive seen them but i havnt really seen them... ya know what i mean?
    Yeasayer - excited to give these guys another shot. saw them in '10 (Coachella) and it was a really energetic well rounded set. Had been listening to a lot of All Hour Cymbals at the time. Caught them again on Conan one night and i could believe that i was watching the same band. But recently ive been listening to some of the newer stuff and i think they deserve another go. - 7.5/10
    Franz Ferdinand - ive seen them a couple times now and they absolutely blew me away at Outside Lands this past summer. They still got it! 8/10
    Simian Mobile Disco - loved them at FYF but a good majority of my friends said that it wasnt one of their better ones. I dont even know what theyre doing up there, but it sounds cool. - 8.5/10
    Spiritualized - saw them in '08 at a festival and to be honest i didnt know what i was watching, i didnt know any songs. cant really give the best opinion of them live.
    Booka Shade - YESSS...!!! 3rd time seeing these guys. Amazing, amazing, amazing!!! Theres rumor of a glow****ion for this set... shhhhh. 9/10
    Jason Bentley - the dj right? he plays underworld then hes cool with me. - 7.5/10

Wu-Tang Clan - i can understand why people dont dig them too much anymore, but when i did see them last at Rock the Bells '10 it was one of the best shows of the night. id have to say the crowd played a big part in that. - 8/10
    Pretty Lights - another one of those i saw them but i didnt really evenings. Good stuff from what i recall.
    Father John Misty - dont listen at all when it comes to the albums, but my friend Chris is the guitarist so im happy to catch them live when i can. its pretty mush sarcastic folk rock. - 7.5/10
    Mimosa - I thought i liked this guy, but then watched him again this summer and i got over his set pretty quick. It could just be my taste has changed. 6.5/10
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Lurker

Alright I'll divide this into GO!, Decent, and Meh...

Band of Horses - Meh... Slow rock just ain't my favorite festival music.
    Beach House - Meh... Don't get much slower than this. I LOVE their albums but I'm in a packed crowd with a bunch of sweaty people.
    Booka Shade - GO! Live drums + amazing electronic music??? Just try not to move while watching these guys. Don't miss it.
    Dam Funk - GO! Dam plays a lot in LA, so if you've got a conflict I understand... but his jams are so funky. Advantage: small crowd, room to move around and dance like a maniac or just put on some shades and smoke a blunt.
    DIIV - Decent Great energy, lot's of fun, harkens back to the old grunge days without sounding like a caricature. These guys are great.
    Foals - Decent Awesome driving beats will keep you energized.
    Franz Ferdinand - Meh... Might as well put on KROQ. Nothing special.
    Grimes - Meh... My favorite album of last year, so it was disappointing to see her struggle to entertain the Pasadena music fest. That being said... it was a dry festival and she went on at like 4pm. I'd love to see her play in the dark in a tent (doubt that will happen, but I can dream).
    Hot Chip - GO! Just fucking go... don't miss this! Probably the group I'm looking forward to seeing most again.
    James Blake - Decent Crazy-awesome production. You may have noticed I don't like slow music at festivals... this is an exception.
    Japandroids - GO! Sooo much energy it get's infectious. I have a lot of respect for any band that gives it their all EVERY DAMN TIME!
    Local Natives - Decent Great band, but if you live in SoCal you'll have plenty of opportunities to see them again (also their new album is a real downer).
    Major Lazer - Decent Awesome backup dancers and stage props kept my attention, but their sound has grown a little tired. Highlight from their last coachella: a ripped Jamaican dude climbed a tall latter and jumped off of it landing directly into the spread legs of a woman. Gyrating commenced...
    Passion Pit - Meh... Can't say anything nobody else hasn't said.
    Purity Ring - Meh... Like their album, but this is music for those goth kids in southpark to bob their heads to.
    Pretty Lights - GO! One of the best if not THE BEST light show I've ever seen. Colorado love!
    RHCP - Decent I can't believe the amount of hate I'm seeing on these boards for RHCP. They are legends. We all know that John Frusciante was their greatest songwriter and the real driving force of the band, but just because he's left doesn't mean we should negate all the amazing records this band has put out the last 20 years. The Red Hot Chili Peppers are California. If anything, go see them for Flea and Chad. I've seen them 14 times and I'll see them once again. (btw before you call me some sort of fratty bro because I love the peppers... fuck you Bjork is my favorite musician).
    Sigur Ros - ???? I can't make a call on these guys. The one opportunity I had to see them I was at Bonnaroo... I was in an altered state and needed to move my body. I left, had one of the best nights of my life seeing other bands, but I'm sure I missed a great show.
    Simian Mobile Disco - GO!
    Tame Impala - Decent Kevin Parker is a brilliant songwriter. They don't put a whole ton of energy into their shows (except for the keyboardist) but all around they are pretty solid.
    Tanlines - Decent Fun, worth seeing.
    The XX - Meh... I loved their first album, but was so overcome with boredom during their last Coachella (the sound bleed was awful during this quiet, ambient band) that I went to Coheed just because the roof was on fire.
    Yeasayer - Decent They haven't been the same since All Hour Cymbals. Stop trying to be Animal Collective!!! If they play old stuff I'll be happy.

Wolfgang Gartner: 10/10 - Absolutely destroyed it at Coachella '10. One of the top 5 edm acts Ive ever seen
    Bassnector: 7/10 - Saw him at Coachella '10. Good performance, but nothing spectacular.
    Infected Mushroom: 0/10 - Ended up watching them in order to get a good spot for Orbital at Coachella '10. One of the worst live shows I have ever seen. Absolute filth, can't see what people see in their garbage.
    El-P - 8/10. Saw him at Coachella '07. Really strong performance and he had the crowd hyped.
    Wu Tang Clan - 8/10. Saw them at Rock the Bells in '06. Everyone sans ODB was there. I've heard they're hit or miss though.
    Red Hot Chili Pepper - 4/10. Saw them at Coachella '07. Was really looking forward to their show but wasn't impressed at all with their performance, nothing special.

I'm not going to participate. I've learned long ago that not every performance is the same.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by cubrocker View Post
    Infected Mushroom even in the daytime at Vegoose in 2007 they totally got the crowd pumped. these guys are really fun live. they perform more as a band than as a traditional electronic setup. they have guitar players who totally shred.
    Saw them a couple years ago at coachell earlier in the day. LOTS of energy, and yes, the drummer and guitarists shred. Def. recommend checking them out...get close to the stage...

great live performances-nick cave and bad seeds, new order, sigur ros, yeah, yeah, yeahs,phoenix,purity ring, modest mouse,xx,moby, hot chip, lumineers

good-jessie ware, grimes, band of horses,local natives, metric,beach house, wu tang (depending on who appears),cloud nothings,japandroids,james blake,beach house, franz ferdinand, tegan & sara, grizzly bear, cafe tacuba, four tet, major lazer, violent femmes, postal service, passion pit, faint, father john misty, alt j

ok-yeasayer, dinosaur jr

garbage-red hot chilli peppers (just saw part of show at acl12-absolutely horrible-opener, iggy pop and stooges, were much better.
    Last edited by brewsonme; 02-11-2013 at 09:45 AM.

bump
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

bmack86, great post, very helpful thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The lineup was kind of a perfect storm in that it drew TONS of people for the first time. They also experimented with the wrist-band situation for the first time, and it has been greatly fixed since then but it was a total failure so they wound up just looking to see if people had tickets OR a wristband most of the time for ins and outs. As a result, thousands of people snuck in and the festival was extremely overpacked with rude people. Just think: as many as 10,000 extra people, all of whom think they should be able to just sneak in and not pay. It was a clusterfuck of assholes who made even the best sets hard to tolerate because of their douchiness.
    Couldn't agree more. The crowd at Vampire Weekend was especially intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    bmack86, great post, very helpful thread
    This - props to Bmack on that. Well done.

BAND OF HORSES - UNBELIEVABLE LIVE, GREAT VOICES, MUSIC, AND SHOW. NEED AN OUTDOOR SUNSET HERE.
    JOHNNY MARR - SAW HIM FOR THE HEALERS TOUR. GREAT LIVE SOUND AND PERFORMANCE, BUT NO VERY ENGAGING. PLAYING MORE SMITHS STUFF NOW I HEAR IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT.
    EARL SWEATSHIRT - GREAT WITH OFWGKTA AT XMAS SHOW 2012.
    VIOLENT FEMMES - SAW THEM AT WEENIE ROAST AS A SURPRISE GUEST. ROCKED IT. GREAT SING-ALONG SHOW.
    THE LUMINEERS - SAW THEM AT ACOUSTIC XMAS. VERY GOOD AND ENGAGING LIVE.
    OMD - SAW THEM IN 1988 AT THE ROSE BOWL. THEY WERE GREAT THEN?

I'm quite happy my list of "already seens" is fairly short this year. Of course everything is a matter of taste, so I'll try to be as objective as possible.

Bassnectar - Intense with lots of jumping and long hair flying around. He puts a lot of energy out there and if the bass genre is to your liking you'll have a bunch of fun. Kind of a bass-head and hippie raver crowd.
    Booka Shade - Pretty happy housey electronica with live/electronic percussion. The only time I saw them was at Coachella '08 and I enjoyed the set (from what I recall).
    Cafe Tacuba - Rock en Espanol. Ugh. Sorry, no objective opinion available. I hate these motherfuckers.
    Hot Chip - Great energy from a full band electronic outfit. You will be dancing. You will have fun.
    Infected Mushroom - Trancey electronic duo. They know what they're doing so if you're in the mood for it, I encourage you to give 'em a shot. Israeli hippie approved.
    Jason Bentley - If you're from LA, why would you bother? Anyway, Jason is a quality DJ with unfettered access to every record imaginable. For those that don't know, Jason is the music director for KCRW (best radio station in the USA).
    Jello Biafra - I've seen him do spoken word and perform with the Melvins doing Dead Kennedys songs. He's a freak and way political. His songs with Guantanamo sound like well-recorded Dead Kennedys. So if you like political 80s punk, you'll like it.
    Major Lazer - High energy get the ladies dancing stuff. Look up daggering.
    Paul Oakenfold - Epic bro club house. He's not much of a performer, but I'm sure the lights and lasers will be fully engaged.
    Portugal the Man - I'm told I really enjoyed their set at Outside Lands.
    Pretty Lights - Loads of bass, techy noises... and pretty lights!
    RHCP - These guys stopped making good music after Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Their live shows were great back in the day when they were young. I can't comment on anything recent.
    Sigur Ros - Atmospheric and stuff. Don't roll over here if you're looking to jump around. But they do what they do very well.
    Simian Mobile Disco - These guys know how to rock it and they always have some interesting setup of their pile of electronic gear. The integrated light show they used at their last coachella gig was pretty sweet.
    Vampire Weekend - Uptempo and generally fun. It's not much more than a band playing the tunes, but they're talented guys.
    Violent Femmes - Happy 80s tunes. You'll encounter old people. From what I remember (I also saw them at the '94 Weenie Roast) it was enjoyable, but nothing to write home about.
    Wolfgang Gartner - Solid skills and great tracks. He played pretty early last time so maybe with a later set and more lasers it'll be even more engaging.
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Always a good show. Karen O is a great performer.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Im suprised, I thought the difference between who you have seen and who I have seen would be larger. I am at 71.
    I'd do one but yeah, I've seen 75 of these bands. Not going to take the time, sorry guys.

Am I really the only one that's seen bat for lashes?
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    My brother saw him and LA and said something similar. I saw him in Phoenix the same week and thought he was really great. Have you seen him more than once with The Violators?
    Sorry, just now saw this. I've seen him twice with the Violators, and both were decent but completely unmemorable sets. And I love his albums so much.

And thanks guys. I've seen lots of these bands so I thought I'd put my two cents forth.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Am I really the only one that's seen bat for lashes?
    I saw her at Lolla '09, early in the day and it was hot. I'm not really a fan of hers on record, but live she was really good. I'd totally see her again if I were going to Coachella this year.

"YOU'RE THE ONLY WOMAN FOR ME!" -some guy during her set
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    I dont think you should worry about sigur.ros and soundbleed. their new album (out in march?) was described as more 'aggressive' by the band.
    I thought I read an interview (or maybe it was their Reddit AMA) where they said the new album doesn't translate live, so they don't play it live. Looking at their setlist fm page, it looks like they really only play two tracks from Valtari live: Var (57)
    Ekki Mkk (22)
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)