Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate The 2013 Acts You've Already Seen As Live Performers

Default Rate The 2013 Acts You've Already Seen As Live Performers

Outside Coachella I don't catch a ton of shows but this year Ive already seen a wide number of the acts. Here's my assessment, please add yours.

Phenomenal

Janelle Monae - cross James Brown w Grace Jones with Prince w Meatloaf and you'll get the idea - one of surest things on lineup
    Foals - Just an onslaught of technical musicianship and those Total Life Forever anthems rage live. My vote for very best show of 2011 fest.

Damn Good
    Franz Ferdinand - Kapranos the real deal and so many of their songs just have pop
    Grinderman - My Favotite of Nicks too incarnations but this is really Warren Ellis shoe. A Masters class in guitar pedal distortion.
    Nick Cave and Bad Seeds - not as immediate as Gtinderman but massive body of work.
    Vampire Weekend - sucked at 08 Coachella but they've reach a Coldplay like competence live now. Very Good Energy
    Violent Femmes - A blast lest time I saw them, but that was 1990
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    TEGAN & SARA - Voices really pop live

SOLID
    Lou Reed - Saw Lou Three Timex in 80s and 90s always good never great...hold out very little hope for this set but wont miss it.
    Grizzly Bear - Sound great but stiff everything played to track zero spontaneity and as bad as they get with stage banter.
    Hot Chip - Fun but have never blown me away
    Spiritualized - Like Grizzly Bear a fine musician but stiff performer good but an overrated act as far as reputation on this board goes.
    TAME IMPALA - problem is guitarists cant play everything live - hes impressive but rest of band isnt

BETTER ON RECORD - great albums or songs but don't have it live
    Pheonix - songs just don't do anything for me live
    Modest Mouse - seen many times very inconsistent
    Beach House - sound good but sleepy as fuck
    The XX - see Beach House

Almost As Bad As MGMT
    Smith Westerns - zero Charisma
    Passion Pit - They don't mail it in like MGMT but watching lead singer sing is a genuinely disturbing site

Default Re: Rate The 2013 Acts You've Already Seen As Live Performers

I've seen the YYY's, Passion Pit, Social D, Dropkick Murphys, Hot Chip, and a little bit of Vampire Weekend in 2009

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: They were pretty damn good, just seeing Karen O deep throat the microphone during Date With The Night made it worthwhile
    Social D: If you're a fan of their music, you'll be a fan of them live. They play well live and they ramble about depressing things, but for the most part it just sounds like the CD's
    Dropkick Murphys: Singer's got one fucked up voice from all that screaming and irish grunting he does, but music was still good and it still worked
    Hot Chip: You can dance a little to them, they're ok
    Vampire Weekend: What I heard was good, but i partied way too hard that day and couldn't stay
    Passion Pit: Music is just fine, but their singer is god awful live

For what it's worth I've seen Tool and NIN too and they have their side projects there this year (puscifer and how to destroy angels)
    Maynard ALWAYS delivers on his performances, sounds amazing and switches it up just a bit for the live performances
    Trent sounds good, but I'm a little skeptical about how a live performance of how to destroy angels would go... seems like it would be boring live, but I'm going either way
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinaturntable5 View Post
    A girl with 5 dicks, duh

Bands/Dj's I have seen-

Can't miss-

Infected Mushroom- I have only seen them with their entire band, but still this is a can't miss IMO

Of Monsters and Men- Amazing @ lolla last year

The Lumineers- Great album, even better live

Yeasayer- One of the reasons why I bought my ticket, awesome show

Good-

Bassnectar- I have seen him about 15 times. Always a solid show. Highly suggest going if you have never seen him before.

Band of Horses- Good, but not great

Dog Blood- Saw them on NYE this year. Really fun show, but not a MUST unless they get on the main stage

Fedde Le Grand- I have seen fedde a few times, good show

Excision- I have never been to a more loud show. I don't know what the Executioner is, but if you don't like really really lodu music, skip this show

Major Lazer- Very fun show, even if you don't like electro I suggest giving them a chance.

Metric- Very good live show, almost pushed into the can't miss, but their new album did do it for me as much as their first.

Modest Mouse- Agree with the above poster about being a little inconsistent, but I have seen them 3 times, 2 of the 3 were amazing.

Moby- I saw a Moby Dj set at the electric zoo in NYC, I was very surprised at how hard Moby brought it.

Paul Oakenfold- was impressed with paul @ hangout fest last year, although no one else came to the show so I had tons of room to move around, which always makes a show a little more enjoyable

Pretty Lights- I have seen Plight over 20 times, I am going to pass @ coachella, but you haven't seen derrek I suggest you do, very fun show, and a lot dif than other Dj's

Wolfgang Gartner- Killed it when I saw him three years ago, but I haven't been super impressed with his new music

Eric Prydz- I wouldn't miss this show, but I have onyl seen him once and I was border line blacked out, I remember having fun though ha

Not Great

RHCP- Not that I don't like RHCP, I just think their new music is border line awful. I did see them twice last year and they pretty much only played their old stuff, which was nice

Passion Pit- Just wasn't feeling them, I like their studio stuff, but live I just couldn't get into it

Mimosa- PASS, has a great stage presents, but nothing you can't see in any other DJ

Booka shade- it might have been their 1PM set time, but I wasn't feeling this DJ

Benny benassi- I have seen benny a few times, only once was I impressed.

Who Im excited to see that I haven't seen before-

Alt-J- I love their album, very excited they are on the bill

Bingo Players- Dutch House anyone??

Grizzly Bear- Love their new album

How To Destory Angels- I don't know what to expect here, but I Love NIN

Kill the Noise- one of my fav dubstep Dj's

Knife Party- Pendullum was AMAZING

Kurt Vile- War on drugs was a great show

New Order- So excited to see them

Portugal. The Man- I have heard great things, can't wait to see them

Simiam Mobile Disco- anyone seen this band? love their sound

Hot Chip- Reminds me of simian Mobile Disco, really excited to see them

The XX- Not sure how much I will get into them, but I like their studio stuff when I am trying to relax

The Postal Serivce- Love death cab, and like the postal serivce studio stuff even more

Vamire weekend- Will their new album blow up before coachella?

Phoenix- see above

WU-Tang- Yes, I can't wait to see Wu-Tang, hologram ODB?? ha

jeez, nice extensive list. Ain't doing mine now. Do want to hear Benny Benassi 'Cinema' though.

You've seen bassnectar 15 times? What the fuck is wrong with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if Daft Punk were to play, but at the end, they take of their helmets and it was Justice all along? And they're all like "We are Juusteeeece!"

God Tier
    Sigur Ros: One of the best live acts on the planet. Truly transcendent. Do not miss.
    Blur: The Glasto set was definitely God Tier. You've seen the videos, yes? Watching them at Hyde Park compared to Glastonbury wasn't as perfect, though. Sure, we had the big singalongs, just not as big, and the massive love-in was replaced with a surprising amount of aggression and fights. As far as what's happening onstage, they're very good but not as brilliant as Pulp live, so it's more of a crowd dependent experience, and I predict this would be bumped down a level with a dead/indifferent crowd, but we'll see.

Legendary Tier
    Bat for Lashes: Magical, completely mesmerizing. Natasha's voice is otherworldly live and she really puts a lot into every performance. Join her for a dance on Saturday.
    Grinderman: Perfectly sleazy, devilish good time.
    Metric: They're tamer than they used to be in the old days, but still a blast. In fact, I've seen them eight times and they were always great.
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds: Wasn't really familiar with much of his massive body of work, but he's the kind of engaging live performer that completely wows you regardless of such matters.
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs: They're pretty amazing. How have you not seen them already?

Fascinating Tier
    Beach House: Not really ideal for festivals, but if you like their records and nothing else is on, go for it. When I saw them, there was an emotional intensity that kept their dreamy sound from being a total sleepy time.
    Cloud Nothings: Missed their first set on the S.S. Coachella and half of their second, but that half was one of the best of the cruise. More than just another generically "loud" band, there's really something behind their take-no-prisoners savagery.
    Father John Misty: Was fairly indifferent before the cruise, but he really impressed me with charismatic, lively sets (electric with a full band and acoustic solo).
    Foals: Sounded pretty good opening for Blur back in the day.
    Four Tet: Was very impressed with their set a couple years ago. Actually managed to hold my attention while counting down the minutes for Radiohead.
    Franz Ferdinand: I doubt I'll be watching them, but I liked their set in 2006.
    Grimes: Your mileage may vary, but definitely warrants a look, especially since there's not nearly as much going on Sunday as the other two days.
    Grizzly Bear: Music sounds about as good as it does on record. Not much else to say, really.
    Local Natives: Saw the last song of their set at Glastonbury a few years ago and had no complaints.
    Simian Mobile Disco: Good way to get your dance on.

Meh Tier
    Hot Chip: First time was horrendous, second time was surprisingly decent.
    Of Monsters and Men: "Ugh, what is this? Oh. Well, I'm off, then." - my reaction when hearing them at Sasquatch during a meetup
    Polica: Like the album, but sounded absolutely horrendous at Sasquatch. I will give Polica the benefit of the doubt and list them here because Sasquatch's sound is run by Marlee Matlin, especially on the second stage where nothing sounded right until around 7pm each night.
    Pretty Lights: Didn't hate it but I don't remember a single note of it.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers: Heard a couple songs in 2007 and they weren't anything special live. Yet here they are.
    The XX: More like the ZZ. And now they're back with a slightly remixed version of their first album. Can't you assholes ever jump onto the bandwagons of more interesting things?

Fail Tier
    The Faint: Good for a song or two, but a whole set is just trying. Left early.
    Stars: Their 2008 set was a big letdown. Don't know why they're back. Didn't even know they were still around.
    Tegan and Sara: Overheard some of their set in 2005 during dinner and it made me wish I didn't have ears.
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-30-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Forgot a few
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

everyone is gonna bash modest mouse but they are honestly one of my favorite live acts. sometimes they straight up dont give a fuck at all and i sound like a hipster but i still love it anyways; just something about em that i cant explain

I haven't seen too many, but I'll contribute some observations.

Yeasayer is amazing. Huge energy, high level of musicianship and just very fun.

I've seen Grizzly Bear a couple times and was never really blown away by them. They're good, and I know a lot of people who love them, but somehow they just don't completely do it for me.

Violent Femmes are a great band. Lots of fun, sloppy sing alongs. Granted I saw them in 2005, not sure how they'll be now.

Portugal. The Man are one of my most anticipated sets of the weekend. I saw them a couple years ago, before I really got into them and they still blew me away. Can't wait to see them now that I know most of their material.

Passion Pit is nothing to write home about.

Pretty Lights is a fun time, not your typical bro-house or dubshit act. He gets a lot of hate, but judge for yourself.

Bassnectar is the only show where I genuinely felt like an old man (I'm 26). Too loud, too many dumb kids running around. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset, but I wasn't really into it.

I'd do this, but I've seen 76 of the acts before, so it would take a while.

Just avoid Jessie Ware and you'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I'm going to skip all the acts I've seen that I thought were just "OK", and instead focus in on the ones that were way above or way below expectations.

Do. Not. Miss.
    - Sigur Ros. They destroy live. From really delicate etherial passages to absolutely crushing waves of raw sound, they're fantastic. Their headlining set at Osheaga last year was great, and that was before they started debuting their newest tracks into the mix.
    - Dead Can Dance. If you dig any sort of "world music" or "neo-classical" or just great singing and real insturments, do *not* miss them. Brendan and Lisa *hate* each other, so this reunion tour is probably the only chance you'll get to see them ever again. Seen every US tour they've done, and it's always great.
    - Beardyman. One dude creates entire drum-n-bass, hip-hop, and dubstep soundscapes using only his multi-tracked voice and some effects pads. It's NUTS live. When he's 'on', it's like nothing i've ever seen. When he's not 'on', it's still absolutely amazing.

Very. Very. Good.
    - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds / Grinderman. You get the loungier/storytelling side, and the angrier rockier side in one weekend. Completely captivating and will hold your attention. Cave is a killer frontman, and the musicians he surrounds himself with are all legendary in their own way.
    - Janelle Monae. Kills it. Insane energy and charisma. Her band is hilarious.

Considerable. Letdown.
    - Puscifer. I love Tool, and dig the Puscifer albums well enough, but this just didn't work for me live at all. It's like it's missing a key piece of... something.
    - Yeasayer. Can't put my finger on it, but they just don't work for me live.

Dinosaur Jr- essential, saw them last year @ FYF, put on a great set, lots of energy, great cover of "Just Like Heaven"
    Aesop Rock- Saw him at FYF as well, put on a decent set, played mostly material off of latest album along with some Hail Mary Mallon stuff.
    Theophilus London- Saw him at MDBP 2012 in LA, avoid at all costs. He spends half of his set plugging in his merch, and acts like a dick to the crowd when they wanted to hear his earlier stuff.
    Vampire Weekend- Saw them in 2010 at the Hollywood Bowl. One of the few stand-out indie pop acts on the bill, should be a fun set with old favorites and material from the new album.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Tegan and Sara: Overheard some of their set in 2005 during dinner and it made me wish I didn't have ears.
    Strongly disagree. They play their songs good, but the best part is their stage banter, it's funny. I do agree with your assessment of Stars - checked them out at Austin City Limits Fest in '08 and was bored.

Lou Reed is the only one where I'd be wary about his live performance, I saw him at Lollapalooza '09 and he arrived late and went over his scheduled time, he had this frustrated look on his face of things weren't working right. His set might be disappointing, so approach with caution.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I saw Modest Mouse at a festival last summer. I don't know if it was because they were playing at a metal festival, and therefore the crowd wasn't their usual crowd, but they had no energy whatsoever. It felt like a paycheck set and they looked like they would've rather been anywhere else than playing this festival. Coachella seems more like their crowd so maybe it'll be better. With the options on Friday I'll be skipping them.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Jeff The BrotherhoodI saw them as an opener, not knowing who they were and they blew me away. It's only two guys on stage, and they really kick ass. So much fun.

I haven't seen very many acts

great shows

Janelle Monae
    James Blake
    Cloud Nothings
    Danny Brown

really good shows

Japandroids
    Beach House

and then there's Wu Tang, who I saw when I was way too young to remember.

As is the case with 98% of rap music, Wu Tang was awful in concert when I saw them - lots of "Unh, yeh, put yo' hands up!" - so difficult to hear the lyrical flourishes that make their music great. I was similarly disappointed by Aesop Rock, who is one of my all-time favorite rappers. I just don't really go to rap shows anymore because of this.

Infected Mushroom will be fun provided that you are realllly fucked up. Hot Chip was a blast when they played a couple years ago. Moby DJ set will be uninspired. I expect a lot out of the Prydz set - I love his music but have had mixed experiences seeing him live.

I'm really looking forward to Four Tet, Booka Shade, and SMD, none of whom I've seen yet.

On an iPad, I'll update with descriptions when I get home.

Don't Miss:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 9/10
    Sigur Ròs - 10/10
    James Blake - 9/10

Solid:
    Local Natives - 7/10
    The XX - 7/10
    Two Door Cinema Club - 7.5/10
    Franz Ferdinand - 8/10
    Cloud Nothings - 7/10

Meh:
    Passion Pit - 6/10
    Beach House - 6/10
    Of Monsters and Men - 5/10
    Divine Fits - 6/10
    Portugal. The Man - 6/10
    Major Lazer - 4/10
    Vampire Weekend - 6.5/10
    Last edited by ameeps; 01-30-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    June
    5 - tUnE-yArDs - Fonda
    10 - Jack White - Fonda
    11 - Jack White - Mayan
    13 - War On Drugs - 50 Kent
    14 - Beirut - 50 Kent
    15 - CHVRCHES - McCarren
    16 - Phantogram - T5
    17 - 19 - The National - Prospect
    20 - Little Dragon - T5
    21 - Bill Maher - Capitol
    22 - Dave Chapelle - Radio City
    24 - Dave Chapelle & The Roots - Radio City
    26 - Warpaint - Prospect
    30 - Beck - Hammerstein

I find Grizzly Bear have improved with every time I've seen them (six times). Lately they've toured with a fifth musician helping out on keyboards or additional guitars so that the songs sound truer to the record. They also seem to be bringing more energy and a cooler light show these days. Looking forward to my seventh time!

Modest Mouse inconsistent but I'm still excited to see them.

Saw RHCP at Lollapalooza and actually enjoyed it, but that was with John.

Simian Mobile Disco were sweet at FYF.

Seen a bunch of the other bands but I'm getting lazy. I'm really looking forward to some bands I've never seen before though: Sigur Ros, Dinosaur Jr, Cloud Nothings, Alt-J...

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    God Tier
    Sigur Ros: One of the best live acts on the planet. Truly transcendent. Do not miss.
    Blur: The Glasto set was definitely God Tier. You've seen the videos, yes? Watching them at Hyde Park compared to Glastonbury wasn't as perfect, though. Sure, we had the big singalongs, just not as big, and the massive love-in was replaced with a surprising amount of aggression and fights. As far as what's happening onstage, they're very good but not as brilliant as Pulp live, so it's more of a crowd dependent experience, and I predict this would be bumped down a level with a dead/indifferent crowd, but we'll see.

Legendary Tier
    Bat for Lashes: Magical, completely mesmerizing. Natasha's voice is otherworldly live and she really puts a lot into every performance. Join her for a dance on Saturday.
    Grinderman: Perfectly sleazy, devilish good time.
    Metric: They're tamer than they used to be in the old days, but still a blast. In fact, I've seen them eight times and they were always great.
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds: Wasn't really familiar with much of his massive body of work, but he's the kind of engaging live performer that completely wows you regardless of such matters.
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs: They're pretty amazing. How have you not seen them already?

Fascinating Tier
    Beach House: Not really ideal for festivals, but if you like their records and nothing else is on, go for it. When I saw them, there was an emotional intensity that kept their dreamy sound from being a total sleepy time.
    Cloud Nothings: Missed their first set on the S.S. Coachella and half of their second, but that half was one of the best of the cruise. More than just another generically "loud" band, there's really something behind their take-no-prisoners savagery.
    Foals: Sounded pretty good opening for Blur back in the day.
    Four Tet: Was very impressed with their set a couple years ago. Actually managed to hold my attention while counting down the minutes for Radiohead.
    Franz Ferdinand: I doubt I'll be watching them, but I liked their set in 2006.
    Grimes: Your mileage may vary, but definitely warrants a look, especially since there's not nearly as much going on Sunday as the other two days.
    Grizzly Bear: Music sounds about as good as it does on record. Not much else to say, really.
    Local Natives: Saw the last song of their set at Glastonbury a few years ago and had no complaints.
    Simian Mobile Disco: Good way to get your dance on.

Meh Tier
    Hot Chip: First time was horrendous, second time was surprisingly decent.
    Of Monsters and Men: "Ugh, what is this? Oh. Well, I'm off, then." - my reaction when hearing them at Sasquatch during a meetup
    Polica: Like the album, but sounded absolutely horrendous at Sasquatch. I will give Polica the benefit of the doubt and list them here because Sasquatch's sound is run by Marlee Matlin, especially on the second stage where nothing sounded right until around 7pm each night.
    Pretty Lights: Didn't hate it but I don't remember a single note of it.
    Red Hot Chili Peppers: Heard a couple songs in 2007 and they weren't anything special live. Yet here they are.
    The XX: More like the ZZ. And now they're back with a slightly remixed version of their first album. Can't you assholes ever jump onto the bandwagons of more interesting things?

Fail Tier
    The Faint: Good for a song or two, but a whole set is just trying. Left early.
    Stars: Their 2008 set was a big letdown. Don't know why they're back. Didn't even know they were still around.
    I agree with everything said here except for the Faint. They're still awesome

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

TOP TIER: You will find god.

Sigur Ros: what hasn't already been said about their transcendental live show?

TIER 2: Great music performed with expertise.

Grizzly Bear: the LA Greek show might have been my fav non-fest set from 2012
    Spiritualized: 2.5 hrs of soulful psychedelic bliss last year at the Belly Up
    James Blake: FYF...holy shit
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs: saw them at Coachella '09...great set
    Modest Mouse: the consensus seems to be inconsistency, but Sasquatch 2011 fired on all cylinders
    Phoenix: no doubt in my mind of their headlining abilities
    Jurassic 5: in 2013, this is a nostalgia thing for me; not crazy in love w/ the music anymore but used to love seeing them live in high school

TIER 3: Enjoyable show / worth checking out.

Tame Impala: I have a feeling that they'll ascend to my next tier after Coachella
    Beach House: haven't seen them on the Bloom tour, but they play their songs well
    Local Natives: anthemic and they sound great live, but I'm not convinced that they've ascended to the tier that the National occupies
    Four Tet: not the most engaging set I've seen, but dependably great music from one of my fav musicians
    Wolfgang Gartner: nothin' wrong with some electro fun
    Richie Hawtin: minimal tech legend
    Vampire Weekend: there's a time and place for Vampy Weeks, just not always though
    the xx: when you're in the mood
    Hot Chip: I had fun last time, and am excited to hear songs from their new album
    Yeasayer: a standout set at FYF, but increasingly diminished returns in quality of music (save for a couple tracks)
    Cloud Nothings: some great moments in their set when I saw them
    Band of Horses: reliable live band, not into the new stuff
    Bassnectar: not a huge fan of the music, but goddamn this can be some stupid fun
    Moby (DJ set): it's chill
    Smith Westerns: no complaints here
    Simian Mobile Disco: One of the better live techno acts out there
    Booka Shade: see Simian Mobile Disco

TIER 4: Meh / maybe they were off that time.

Passion Pit: walked away after 2 songs last time they played Coachella
    Aesop Rock: encapsulated everything dullsville about the tired format of live underground hip hop
    Infected Mushroom: good live presentation but the music blows
    Benny Benassi: this was cool to me when I first tried ecstasy
    Franz Ferdinand: I'm one of those lame-o's who just wants to hear "Take Me Out"
    Red Hot Chili Peppers: don't care
    Two Door Cinema Club: not into these guys
    Metric: I'll never understand the hype (or what's left of it)

TIER 5: Never again.

Wu-Tang Clan: unless you're into 75 ppl on stage all yelling into their mics at the same time, I'd advise you to avoid
    the Airborne Toxic Event: bland and boring as fuck

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I saw Modest Mouse at a festival last summer. I don't know if it was because they were playing at a metal festival, and therefore the crowd wasn't their usual crowd, but they had no energy whatsoever. It felt like a paycheck set and they looked like they would've rather been anywhere else than playing this festival. Coachella seems more like their crowd so maybe it'll be better. With the options on Friday I'll be skipping them.
    when they bring their A game they have the potential to be the best set of the weekend. worth a 15 minute gamble at the beginning of the set to see how they are at the very least

Here's all the bands I've seen. The number next to the band is the number of times I've seen them live.

Friday

Great
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs (3) - They've gotten more tame as they've aged, but that hasn't lessened the greatness of their live show. Karen O is a fantastic front-woman and Nick Zinner is a pure joy to watch on guitar

Four Tet (1) - I'd always heard he was boring, but when he played at FYF fest I was just blown away. He's one of the best EDM sets I've ever caught, and I'd highly recommend anyone interested in his music checking him out

Alright
    Modest Mouse (3) - Two shows I saw were excellent, one was absolutely horrible. It seems like that is the general consensus amongst people who have seen them live. The last time I saw them they were super on point, so hopefully they've been working on that issue. Go in with trepidation.

Band of Horses (2) - They have a good live sound, but they're lacking in great songs that would back that up. They're fun to lay back on the field and listen to, but I wouldn't skip a band I really love to catch them.

Beach House (3) - I find their music boring, but live they're pretty damn impressive. They are more about sound than songs to me, and the sound is made to wash over a large crowd. Not terribly memorable, but entertaining.

Local Natives (2) - I saw them twice touring the first album and was highly impressed. They were a very tight live band, great vocal harmonies and excellent songs. The new one is not nearly as good, and I can't imagine the new songs adding much to their show. That said, worth seeing.

Aesop Rock (2) - He used to be an astounding live act: tons of fury, really focused, great choice of DJ and guest stars. When I saw him recently, it was good but that old energy was missing. Maybe he'll have it again, but he wasn't as good as he used to be.

Purity Ring (1) - I have a feeling that they will develop into a great live act eventually, but they're still young. I like what they do with the lights/drum triggers and their songs are pretty damn strong. It just feels like they need some work.

Youth Lagoon (1) - I only saw him do a solo show without his guitarist or backing band, but the kid's a really impressive performer, if a bit timid. He can only move up from that though.

DJ Harvey (1) - What I saw at FYF was great, but I didn't catch much so I can't say for sure. I hear he's a party and a half.

Lord Huron (1) - Their songs weren't memorable, but they had a great live set and an impressive stage presence for a small opening band. I question how well they'll come across on the polo field on a larger stage, but they have some serious live potential.

Japandroids (1) - I want them to be in the great category so badly, but they just aren't there. They take too much time between songs to talk and tune, killing the energy that they should be building up. They have moments of pure transcendence, but they can't sustain them for a whole set.

Bad/boring

Tegan and Sara (1) - For a long time I had them in my top 5 worst sets I've ever seen. They were abysmal when they played before Arcade Fire in 2005: annoying vocals, boring songs, stupid banter. Just insufferable.

Stars (1) - Boring. That's all. Completely and utterly unmemorable live.

Saturday

Great
    Sigur Ros (3) - There's only so much more that can be said. They are HUGE when they play, and they have such control over their performance. That said, last time they played Coachella they were plagued by sound problems and it cut into their majesty somewhat. I'd still recommend catching them, as they are just an impressive live act.

Grizzly Bear (9) - They've grown into a powerhouse live band. They can peg the tricky vocal parts with ease, they add more volume and weight to the performance, and they seem like a truly democratic band, lined up equally across the stage. They are fantastic at festivals, and while they don't banter much, it doesn't matter when the performances are this gorgeous.

Descendents (1) - One of the all-time great punk bands, I saw them at FYF recently and they can completely harness the energy and fury of their early material despite their age. They're hilarious, bizarre, and one of the best punk bands you'll see live. Highly recommended.

Franz Ferdinand (5) - Every time I think I'm tired of them and their decreasing returns on album I see them and am reminded why they still get such high billing with no new music and nothing really of note since the second album: they are excellent live. At Outside Lands last year they created a funky dance party in the middle of the day and played a great mash up of one of their tracks and I Feel Love by Donna Summer. They never disappoint live, so I'd urge anyone who's ever liked them to give them a chance.

Spiritualized (6) - I've been impressed with them before, but this last tour was a step above any other set I'd seen from them. The new album was really good, and they play tracks from all throughout their career, including a huge selection from their best release, Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. They seemed revitalized: see them.

Richie Hawtin (2) - I've seen both a Hawtin set at Plastikman, both in the Sahara. He's mesmerizing with whatever he does, but the Hawtin set is one of the best things I've ever seen in the Sahara. He has a complete mastery of the decks, EFX and 909, and it really shows when he performs. Can't recommend highly enough.

El-P (2) - The rare rapper who comes across almost more powerful live than on record. He tours with a full band and they just bring his dark, grimy music to the next level. If he's continuing the tour from last year he'll almost exclusively perform tracks from his last album, which benefited greatly from the live backing. A must.

The Evens (1) - I only saw them at Coachella in 2004. As Ian was talking, someone yelled out, "You're a legend!" That person was correct.

Trash Talk (1) - When I saw them (in a pizza parlor) the band got on stage and started a slow, Sabbathy dirge. I noticed a commotion in the back of the audience. A dude plowed his way through the crowd, fists ablaze, then catapulted himself off the backs of some people to the left of me, grabbed the mic as he was still in the air, let loose a scream, and as soon as he hit the stage the band burst into their first song. For the rest of the set the crowd didn't stop moving.

Good
    Phoenix (2) - At Coachella 06 they were a huge surprise, funky and tight. The last time they played, they had one of the biggest crowds I've ever seen at Coachella. They will pull headlining off, but they're just not overly thrilling as performers. Entertaining though.

The XX (1) - I saw them at Coachella and it was bright out, so hard to judge. They sounded good but were absolutely boring in their performance, so it was a toss-up. Plus, their crowd was so shitty and I can't imagine that's changed in the interim.

Hot Chip (1) - Super funky and tight, but they've always suffered in my mind by the fact that they were coming up at the same time as LCD Soundsystem, the better live act of the two. They're probably great live, but I just couldn't get past the comparison.

Yeasayer (5) - Diminishing returns. On the tour between the first and second album they seemed like they could become the best live band around for awhile: psychedelic, taut guitar jams, great rhythms, tons of vocal harmonies, really focused. Then they decided to go new wave and they've been getting steadily less impressive live ever since.

Cafe Tacuba (1) - I saw them at Coachella, it was fun but unmemorable. People were super into it, but if you don't know the songs it may be hard to get into.

Dropkick Murphys (1) - I loved them when I saw them, but that was back in 2003. I can't imagine they play the same way now, but they were a fantastic live act back then, super energetic.

Booka Shade (1) - They really need a better set time than what they had at the last Coachella they played. They sounded good but it was hard to really get into it in the late afternoon.

Allen Stone (1) - He opened for Al Green and I was really pleasantly surprised. A good soul singer, tight band and some good songs. He's not very creative, but I could see him being a highly entertaining mid-day set.

Bad/boring

Sunday

Great
    Dinosaur Jr. (8) - The best of the live acts I've seen on the lineup. They are loud, they are virtuosic, they just put on an absolutely perfect live set. They can also pull off their sound fantastically in an outdoor setting. Do not miss: they never fail.

Tame Impala (3) - I've loved them each time I've seen them, but when they played Coachella I was shocked by how full their sound was on the Outdoor stage, a place notorious for bad sound. Their new album has tons of great stuff and will only help with their already fantastic live show. Must see.

James Blake (1) - I was worried his subtle, quiet music would be drowned out in a live setting. That fear was almost realized at FYF, when Tanlines started up and bled over. Blake just nodded to his band, and they cranked into the best electro/jazz/funk/psych/experimental set I saw at the fest. They were mesmerizing, mind-blowing and just spectacular. I will see him every time he's near me from now on. Believe the hype.

Vampire Weekend (8) - They've grown so much: the first time I saw them at the Echo they were a goofy group of collegiate dudes playing happy songs. The last show I saw they really earned a headlining set at the Hollywood Bowl. Ezra has developed into a charismatic front man, able to wring his goofy banter for all its worth and the band can add some serious weight to the music.

Cloud Nothings (1) - Woah. I loved the album from last year, and they perform it just the way it sounds (thanks Steve Albini!) They are loud, vicious and absolutely engaging on-stage. They'll be the sleeper hit of the festival I bet.

Good
    Kurt Vile & The Violators (3) - I love their music, but they are somewhat pedestrian live: the songs all start to sound the same and the jams just don't take off the way they should. Kurt's the antithesis of charisma.

Father John Misty (2) - On the flip side of Kurt Vile. I'm not a huge fan of his music, but he is an excellent performer and has tons of stage presence and personality. He can pull off the festival with aplomb. Sneak some whiskey to the set, as it's mandatory while watching him.

Red Hot Chili Peppers (3) - I haven't seen them with the new guitarist so they're only at this level. If you like their music though, they are a fantastic live act, and they have a really big catalog of hits that are fun to sing along with your friends. A good headliner, just a bit of a let-down considering.

The Faint (2) - At Coachella 05 I was fairly impressed, but I thought they were better at FYF 12.

Bad/Boring

Social Distortion (1) - Not bad, but definitely boring. By the fourth song everything sounds the same and Mike Ness kind of seems like a huge asshole on stage. And, they draw a horrible crowd.

Wu-Tang Clan (1) - Mic feedback, people rapping over each other, whole tracks getting lost and confused. I want them to be great, but when I saw them it was just a train wreck.

White Arrows (1) - Not bad, but much more boring than the albums. Approach with caution.
    Last edited by bmack86; 01-30-2013 at 10:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I love kurt vile on record and i dislike him sooo fucking much live....he might play the same three chords over and over and not hit the vocal notes
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Father John Misty (2) - On the flip side of Kurt Vile. I'm not a huge fan of his music, but he is an excellent performer and has tons of stage presence and personality. He can pull off the festival with aplomb. Sneak some whiskey to the set, as it's mandatory while watching him.
    Yes. His set on the cruise was such a nice surprise that I went to the acoustic one the next day instead of hitting the pool or getting some sleep.

He slays at karaoke, too.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

I've seen a bunch of the bands live, here are a few:

The XX - I've seen the XX three times and every time the show has been better. Their show at Treasure Island (SF) was really great, a lot different than on record, a lot more musical and less sparse.
    Alt-J - I've seen them twice last year and while I love their record, they don't really have a great stage presence/stage show.
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - incomparable. phenomenally charismatic and engaging. I happen to be a huge NC&BS fan, but he really delivers on stage every time I've seen him.
    Franz Ferdinand - Hard to not like. I've never gone out of my way to see them, but it seems like they are always playing somewhere I'm at, and they put on a super fun stage show.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Quote Originally Posted by c2sts9 View Post

Kurt Vile- War on drugs was a great show
    Be prepared to be heavily disappointed if that's your comparison. The War on Drugs is one of the best up-and-coming live acts around right now. The Violators, even when they have people from TWoD playing with them, never reach those heights.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by AbundantChoice View Post
    I'm going to skip all the acts I've seen that I thought were just "OK", and instead focus in on the ones that were way above or way below expectations.

Do. Not. Miss.

Thanks for your list! Really helpful write up for me on some of the bands I hadn't listened to yet but now really like after checking them out.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavensWeep;2644961[B
    TIER 4:[/B] Meh / maybe they were off that time.
    Two Door Cinema Club: not into these guys
    This surprises me as I've seen them a coupel times now (Coachella '11 and Oakland a couple months ago). I put their 2010 album as top 5 album of 2010 and their 2012 is also a huge favorite. Both times I saw them I thought they were great. Among my version of your Tier 2. The crowd was great both times and it was just a prty. Very good, check out for sure, IMO.

Is it that you don't like the music or that you didn't like their performance? Or both? I've never heard of someone not enjoying the show, so I'm curious.

Otherwise, I haven't seen most of these acts. New Years resolution is to go to more concerts despite the terrible commute to/from oakalnd or SF on weeknights. Lol.

I did see an acoustic set by Metric in studio a couple years ago. She sounded great, but I can't really tell you how good they would be these days for a full set.

GOD TIER

Also GOD TIER

Last edited by thebaconator; 01-30-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13.1,14.1
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    This surprises me as I've seen them a coupel times now (Coachella '11 and Oakland a couple months ago). I put their 2010 album as top 5 album of 2010 and their 2012 is also a huge favorite. Both times I saw them I thought they were great. Among my version of your Tier 2. The crowd was great both times and it was just a prty. Very good, check out for sure, IMO.

Is it that you don't like the music or that you didn't like their performance? Or both? I've never heard of someone not enjoying the show, so I'm curious.
    File it under "it's not you, it's me." Don't really vibe to those guys, but remain open to dropping in on their set if nothing else of interest is going on.