Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Sonar 2013 and off Sonar events

Default Re: Sonar 2013 and off Sonar events

Quote Originally Posted by Jards View Post
    Off topic- anyone checked out ADE in Amsterdam? Thinking of hitting there in October....
    I went to ADE for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. I'm fortunate enough to live a 30 minute plane journey away from Dam (they don't really have enough time to push the trolley up and down the aisle before it lands) so have been there more times than I can remember. It's a great place to visit any time of the year but ADE is special for a number of reasons. Firstly, the talent on offer is second to none and you'll struggle to find so many DJs of this calibre in one place at one time (waits for boarders to come back with other examples of festivals of this kind such as WMC, BPM, Sonar etc....). Secondly, the range of venues they use is astounding - from conventional clubs to art galleries, restaurants, warehouses, boats....the list goes on. Thirdly, the majority of people are there for the music so you don't have to worry about annoying tourists or hipsters trying to look cool or score brownie points by being seen at the best parties. Fourthly, it's Amsterdam - what's not to like! Yes, there's the coffee shops and the fact it's the European hub for Class A narcotics but there's much more to it than that. The tram system is great (although loads of the venues are within walking distance of each other), there's a plethora of fantastic restaurants, museums, cultural and historical venues and shops, miles upon miles of canals and that's without even entering the Red Light District.

Due to work commitments, I wasn't able to fly over until Friday evening (it runs from 12.01am Wednesday until Monday morning) so I missed the first couple of days. Tbf, you would need to be seriously hardcore to do the whole thing so two nights was more than enough for me and my mates. Got in around 8pm and met my very stoned friends (who had been lucky enough to get the 6am flight that morning) and we did a bar and coffee shop crawl until it was time to set sail to the first party (yes that's right, we had to take a boat to the venue!!). I've got some friends who live in Rotterdam so we met up with them at the club, which was an industrial unit on the water called Undercurrent. The party was hosted by CLR and featured Monoloc, Tommy Four Seven, Terence Fixmer and Chris Liebing amongst others. Needless to say it was superb on so many levels - music, production, crowd and venue (the chill out was a deck overlooking the water across to the centre of Amsterdam) were all spot on and even the weather was unusually warm for that time of year. Left there around 5am for a pit stop at the hotel before heading to Air for the Electric Deluxe after party. The doors were from 6am to 2pm but by about 10am I had to admit defeat and headed back to the sanctuary of my bed. Managed to catch a good bit of Speedy J though but sadly left before Gary Beck hit the decks.

Saturday was all about R&R (predominantly in a variety of Coffee Shops) until we went to the 10 Years Watergate and Mixmag party at Studio 80. The venue is a dedicated club but still pretty intimate at about 800 capacity. Main room had Heidi, Miss Kitten, Karotte and Ellen Allien (who changed her set time and didn't come on until 10am - which was the same time I had to check out of my hotel, so I missed her) whilst the back room had Russ Yallop, Mr C and Clockwork. Really liked the place and they had some of the best parties on over the festival, including Diynamic, Rejected, Saved and Desolat.

Having been to Amsterdam for a number of clubbing weekends, I can't say I noticed a huge difference during ADE but that probably says more about the quality of the events they have on week in, week out than the event itself. You won't find sound systems on every street corner like they have on Queens Day (or Kings Day as it will now be known) and in that sense there were probably loads of people in town that weekend who, aside from the flags and banners dotted around, didn't even know ADE was happening. That's not a bad thing though as it helped the event to keep an underground vibe. It's not the kind of place though where you hop from venue to venue during the night (unless you have some great connections as each party requires a separate ticket and there's no pass you can buy to access them all) so in that sense all the amazing parties on offer each night are irrelevant really - you choose one and spend the whole night there.

If you've happened to pick up anything remotely negative from my self-indulgent and exhaustive review then disregard it - ADE is amazing so go as you'll love it. I suppose what I've tried to convey through my ramblings is that it wasn't quite what I was expecting - it was, for me, the usual manic 48 hours in Dam with two (and a half) mental nights out. You could engross yourself in the music and festival 24/7 if you want but that wouldn't leave much time for the many other pleasures the city has to offer so my advice is chill by day and party by night.

If I could, I'd go every year. That's probably the simplest and best recommendation I can give for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Semprini View Post
    I went to ADE for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. I'm fortunate enough to live a 30 minute plane journey away from Dam (they don't really have enough time to push the trolley up and down the aisle before it lands) so have been there more times than I can remember. It's a great place to visit any time of the year but ADE is special for a number of reasons. Firstly, the talent on offer is second to none and you'll struggle to find so many DJs of this calibre in one place at one time (waits for boarders to come back with other examples of festivals of this kind such as WMC, BPM, Sonar etc....). Secondly, the range of venues they use is astounding - from conventional clubs to art galleries, restaurants, warehouses, boats....the list goes on. Thirdly, the majority of people are there for the music so you don't have to worry about annoying tourists or hipsters trying to look cool or score brownie points by being seen at the best parties. Fourthly, it's Amsterdam - what's not to like! Yes, there's the coffee shops and the fact it's the European hub for Class A narcotics but there's much more to it than that. The tram system is great (although loads of the venues are within walking distance of each other), there's a plethora of fantastic restaurants, museums, cultural and historical venues and shops, miles upon miles of canals and that's without even entering the Red Light District.

Due to work commitments, I wasn't able to fly over until Friday evening (it runs from 12.01am Wednesday until Monday morning) so I missed the first couple of days. Tbf, you would need to be seriously hardcore to do the whole thing so two nights was more than enough for me and my mates. Got in around 8pm and met my very stoned friends (who had been lucky enough to get the 6am flight that morning) and we did a bar and coffee shop crawl until it was time to set sail to the first party (yes that's right, we had to take a boat to the venue!!). I've got some friends who live in Rotterdam so we met up with them at the club, which was an industrial unit on the water called Undercurrent. The party was hosted by CLR and featured Monoloc, Tommy Four Seven, Terence Fixmer and Chris Liebing amongst others. Needless to say it was superb on so many levels - music, production, crowd and venue (the chill out was a deck overlooking the water across to the centre of Amsterdam) were all spot on and even the weather was unusually warm for that time of year. Left there around 5am for a pit stop at the hotel before heading to Air for the Electric Deluxe after party. The doors were from 6am to 2pm but by about 10am I had to admit defeat and headed back to the sanctuary of my bed. Managed to catch a good bit of Speedy J though but sadly left before Gary Beck hit the decks.

Saturday was all about R&R (predominantly in a variety of Coffee Shops) until we went to the 10 Years Watergate and Mixmag party at Studio 80. The venue is a dedicated club but still pretty intimate at about 800 capacity. Main room had Heidi, Miss Kitten, Karotte and Ellen Allien (who changed her set time and didn't come on until 10am - which was the same time I had to check out of my hotel, so I missed her) whilst the back room had Russ Yallop, Mr C and Clockwork. Really liked the place and they had some of the best parties on over the festival, including Diynamic, Rejected, Saved and Desolat.

Having been to Amsterdam for a number of clubbing weekends, I can't say I noticed a huge difference during ADE but that probably says more about the quality of the events they have on week in, week out than the event itself. You won't find sound systems on every street corner like they have on Queens Day (or Kings Day as it will now be known) and in that sense there were probably loads of people in town that weekend who, aside from the flags and banners dotted around, didn't even know ADE was happening. That's not a bad thing though as it helped the event to keep an underground vibe. It's not the kind of place though where you hop from venue to venue during the night (unless you have some great connections as each party requires a separate ticket and there's no pass you can buy to access them all) so in that sense all the amazing parties on offer each night are irrelevant really - you choose one and spend the whole night there.

If you've happened to pick up anything remotely negative from my self-indulgent and exhaustive review then disregard it - ADE is amazing so go as you'll love it. I suppose what I've tried to convey through my ramblings is that it wasn't quite what I was expecting - it was, for me, the usual manic 48 hours in Dam with two (and a half) mental nights out. You could engross yourself in the music and festival 24/7 if you want but that wouldn't leave much time for the many other pleasures the city has to offer so my advice is chill by day and party by night.

If I could, I'd go every year. That's probably the simplest and best recommendation I can give for it.
    Nice one- thanks Sembrini! That was a lot of help. Just wanted to see if the set up was similar to Sonar/off Sonar but without the good weather....

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    thanks for the update!

Lurker

Hola Chiapet & Jumpstart !

As you saw, there will be several events at the same time in the Poble Espanyol.
    All events are totally independent & with different tickets sales. That's why there will be different entrance lines for each event. So don't worry, the entrance line shouldn't be long (as everybodys gonna have presales tickets)

Another thing you may miss: if you buy a ticket for the massive Drumcode showcase on Sunday with a VERY SPECIAL GUEST (http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?473947) you get a free ticket for the after party (00.00 - 06.00) at El Row club! http://www.residentadvisor.net/promoter.aspx?id=15988

I still remain at your disposal if you need anything!
    Cheers from sunny BCN!

Hi Agathe

Is it true that there will be some tickets on the door for Innervisions on the Friday? i saw someone post on RA that there will be....

AgatheIndigoRaw, I bought tickets for both the events on Saturday(pampa and hot creations). I figured that both the events are very close to each other so I could attend both. Will it be possible to re-enter both of those events through out the day?

thanks!

Lurker

Hello Jumpstart!

If you bought tickets for both the events on Saturday, you can go out and re-enter.
    As you said, both events are in the Poble Espanyol and very close to each other. If you have a ticket for any event, you can go out as long as you stay in the Poble Espanyol, in which you can find restaurants, shops, etc.
    But the only thing is that as soon as you go out of the Poble Espanyol, you cannot re-enter into it.

I hope I was clear enough
    Agathe

Apologies if this may offend anyone, but how easy it to acquire drugs? Any tips on finding safe/quality stuff?

Cheers

In one of the older threads for Sonar, it was mentioned that there is a testing booth at Sonar. If that service is still around, that is probably your best bet to test your stuff, if you buy stuff, and depending on what kind of stuff you consider stuff.

I don't remember there being any testing booths there last year (I think there was a Dance Safe booth which was giving out literature but not testing).

You're not going to find advice on here, as the board admin doesn't like posts of that nature for the obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunlf08 View Post
    Apologies if this may offend anyone, but how easy it to acquire drugs? Any tips on finding safe/quality stuff?

Cheers
    Good question. I've heard of dance safe as well, but I have no idea if they'll have them on-site since it's my first time attending the festivities.

aside from that, I'm heading out in less than 2 weeks! super excited. I've bought tickets for about 4 shows. I'm leaving friday relatively open. Perhaps a free beach party, or something random! Thrusday ill go to sonar by day and that half baked party at night. Saturday ill be at the poble espanyol all day, then head out to sonar by night. We might do a super duper late night at a non open air club as well. But, we'll just be spontaneous about that.

Anyone have a good recommendation for Wednesday? We'll probably take advantage off an off party, but not go hard...gotta pace ourselves
    Last edited by jumpstart; 05-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I would be careful. there was a lot of bad bad stuff available when I was there, and a drug testing table to prove it. but this was back in 2009. it could have changed completely by now.

Yea, like I said, last year at Sonar by Night Dance Safe had a table but did not offer testing services, only literature. Sonar by Night only had the most superficial of bag checks (it seemed like they were mostly looking for outside alcohol). There were a fair number of police there but they were mostly at the medical stations and weren't bothering anyone. I didn't see a single person get "caught" selling or using anything while I was there both nights though there was a lot of open use. My impression is that if you got caught with a personal supply of something there, they would probably take it away from you rather than kicking you out.

I would not count on finding anything inside the off-Sonar venues. Not only was there no one obvious selling anything, but some people doing stuff in the open were getting booted from the venues. The only exception I saw was at the open air beach venues where they didn't really have security to speak of.

If you plan on buying water, be sure to sneak in a bottle cap. That's the first thing security is searching for.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Oh god, I forgot about that! I didn't get searched for them, but they take them away at the bar every time.

Good question. I've heard of dance safe as well, but I have no idea if they'll have them on-site since it's my first time attending the festivities.

aside from that, I'm heading out in less than 2 weeks! super excited. I've bought tickets for about 4 shows. I'm leaving friday relatively open. Perhaps a free beach party, or something random! Thrusday ill go to sonar by day and that half baked party at night. Saturday ill be at the poble espanyol all day, then head out to sonar by night. We might do a super duper late night at a non open air club as well. But, we'll just be spontaneous about that.

Anyone have a good recommendation for Wednesday? We'll probably take advantage off an off party, but not go hard...gotta pace ourselves
    Cheers guys i appreciate the help. I'm not looking for testing booths really just stamped, known pills or rocks of MD. I know there is still uncertainty but you do the best you can.

jumpstart, not sure your aware of this http://www.residentadvisor.net/event...&yr=2013&dy=12 some pretty decent nights on Wednesday. It has to be the free Apollonia vs Visionquest beach party on the Friday afternoon, surely?! Where are you travelling from? where are you staying in Barcelona?

Shaun

Last year, pill reports was not very reliable because so many people were bringing stuff in from other areas, and there appeared to be a lot of copy-cat pressings. The reports didn't really match up with our experience. With that said, didn't find anything 'bad', some were a little weak, some were fantastic. *shrug* It's going to be a crap shoot. Find someone in your group who is willing to be the guinea pig.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Last year, pill reports was not very reliable because so many people were bringing stuff in from other areas, and there appeared to be a lot of copy-cat pressings. The reports didn't really match up with our experience. With that said, didn't find anything 'bad', some were a little weak, some were fantastic. *shrug* It's going to be a crap shoot. Find someone in your group who is willing to be the guinea pig.
    Haha Yeah i mean even with the stamp they're not guaranteed to be good but I think if they've gone to the effort to get them stamped you know they've come from quite a big production line, not just made by some rotten man in his make-shift lab haha How do you go about acquiring them? in Ibiza all the bar reps are in on it but i know it's not going to be the same in Barcelona as it's only over a couple of days.

You going this year? Any other tips like restaurants, bars etc?

Hey shaunlf08, thanks for the link. I've used RA for the bulk of all my ticket buying, great site. I think I'll try to hit up the beach party on Friday, I was eying that one as well. The innervisions party fell through as I was unable to get tickets for it, so this would be a nice alternative since I'll be at the Poble Mont... Saturday.

I'm staying in the gotic/el born area of the city...about 10 minutes from the ramblas I believe. We were originally booked at the W, but changed it. We figured it would be a better experience being in the middle of the city. Not having to eat breakfest at the W every morning(rather have options, cheaper) and having a better focal point to get to places. We actually saved a ton of money!! We'll be coming from Chicago, you?
    Last edited by jumpstart; 05-31-2013 at 09:03 AM.

If you only need one ticket or can convince your group to purchase tickets for Off Wax:Return w. Villalobos on Friday night, I have a ticket I can sell you at the 1st release price. It is currently at the final release so a group would need to act quick. Let me know if you are interested.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?479960

Angry Re: Sonar 2013 and off Sonar events

Quote Originally Posted by shaunlf08 View Post
    Cheers guys i appreciate the help. I'm not looking for testing booths really just stamped, known pills or rocks of MD. I know there is still uncertainty but you do the best you can.

jumpstart, not sure your aware of this http://www.residentadvisor.net/event...&yr=2013&dy=12 some pretty decent nights on Wednesday. It has to be the free Apollonia vs Visionquest beach party on the Friday afternoon, surely?! Where are you travelling from? where are you staying in Barcelona?

Shaun
    Just saw on Facebook that Apollonia vs Visionquest is cancelled- that was my Friday evening plan for after Innervisions. I don't think it will be rescheduled either because most of the Visionquest roster are doing East Ender festival on the Friday night. I wasn't too fussed about Visionquest to be fair and luckily Dyed Soundorom and Dan Ghenacia have been announced for the Martinez Brothers party on Sunday Afternoon. Could use the Friday evening for a break as Thursday, Saturday and Sunday are stacked but I don't really want to to be honest.

Less than 2 weeks to go now....

Re: bars/restaurants, I have been terrible about keeping track of the places I ate and drank in Barcelona during each of my trips, so I can't really help you there. Yelp is practically non-existent in Barcelona, but Tripadvisor has tons of reviews for establishments in Barcelona and has been fairly reliable for me. In general though, for bars, I just peek in and see if the vibe is what I'm looking for; for restaurants, I look for places that are reasonably - but not overly - crowded, smell good, and where there are plenty of Spanish/Catalan speakers inside. Eating immediately near any tourist attraction will probably be a disappointment, and I would not eat on Las Ramblas at all.

Yeah just saw that the beach party got cancelled!! really disappointed! guess it will have to be the pool party with guy gerber, tini and buttrich...have to pay entry fee but a great line-up! Cheers for the advice chiapet... i know its tough to remember specific places, i was just wondering if there were any stand out locations.

@Jumpstart Chicago.... very cool! I'm travelling from Wales, UK so not so far haha. We though along similar lines with accommodation, since we were gonna be at parties most days and would have to travel regardless we're slightly out from the centre, by Sagrada Familia. Really looking forward now!

Yea, I'm pretty good about keeping track of where I eat/drink domestically here in the US (due to obnoxious and constant use of social networking) but US phone plans have atrocious int'l roaming rates, so the phone doesn't get used. If I come across anything fantastic this time, I will try to post during the week of.

@Chiapet how do you think the parties are going to go this year with regards to the shut downs last year? Is it down to organisation or is just out of the party planners hands when the police rock up??

Shaun, from the research I've done on the events I came across that concern as well. It was mainly with the mobile fact pool parties last year. They've said that its now under control and that they've worked everything out with the police for this year for they're new location. So I guess there shouldn't be any issues. I read that on the events page comments at the RA forum web site.

I don't really have a clear idea of what happened since I wasn't at any of the parties that got shut down, but it seemed like the pool parties had the most issues, and that was primarily due to noise complaints. The FACT parties used to be held in Barcelona (in Montjuic, I think?) It looked like the pool parties have been moved out of Barcelona proper, which they are expecting to help. I decided not to bother, since they are pretty far from the Barcelona city center.

I guess it's a good thing in a way that it happened last year so the organizers will make extra sure this year that there won't be any problems.

East Ender set times were announced

They also posted this morning that there will be a fourth, free stage running until midnight at Macarena Beach. Details to be posted on Monday.