Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonar 2013 and off Sonar events

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: Sonar 2013 and off Sonar events

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Dettmann trainwrecked last year?
    Doesn't surprise me, I saw him a week after that at Fabric and his set was really underwhelming.

Well, I feel less bad about probably missing him and Klock b2b in Detroit, then.

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    To be honest, i had the slightest temptation to buy a ticket because I love Max and Perc, but like... it was so bad that we actually got into physical altercations with people in the crowd, multiple times.
    It was that bad? I know how much it takes for you to get into a physical altercation. Me on the other hand...there's a reason I used to always go dancing in my steel toe dr. martens.

Coachella Junkie

It was that bad. This was also the set where the girl kept asking Max to hold her drink for her... DURING HIS LIVE SET.

Do I need to buy a new pair of steel toe docs to bring with me?

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    It was that bad. This was also the set where the girl kept asking Max to hold her drink for her... DURING HIS LIVE SET.
    lol. that's so absurd I would have to laugh if I saw that. Well, I guess I'll be mentally prepared for some euro slop...and buy some steel toe docs.

Coachella Junkie

Yea, we laughed at that. I got into a fight with the girl who kept repeatedly pushing and elbowing me as she tried to push her way to further upfront where there was absolutely no space to get through. She got mad and kept calling me a bitch and trying to stomp on my toes with her heels. I guess that was supposed to get me to give her my spot? I told her to fuck off. She tried to throw her drink at me, only I'd turned around so it just went down my back. I laughed at her, she clawed my arm, and I pulled her by the hair down to the floor and told her boyfriend to get her out of there before she got hurt. Her boyfriend at least had the decency to get her out of there. Though she came back a few times much later to try to start shit.

One of many such experiences that night.

And yea, you guys know me well enough to know that usually I just sulk or complain to my friends when people are being awful. I go out of my way not to start shit because I don't want to be further distracted from the music.

Basically you will run into a lot of incredibly self-involved people who are used to getting their way all the time. Not all of the people or all of the events are like that, but I do think it's worse right in the Las Ramblas area since that is also tourist central.

I don't think I would ever go to Ibiza after experiencing this last year... I have to imagine these are the same people who party there.
    Last edited by chiapet; 04-24-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Coachella Junkie

FWIW, I didn't run into that sort of behavior at actual Sonar... the only issues there were that people were really, really sloppy and kinda clueless. I didn't really feel offended by them the way I did at some of the smaller events. Plus, the official Sonar venue is HUGE so you could always just move away.

what are you guy's thoughts on the the crew love event at parc el forum friday? I'm still looking to fill that day up I still want to be patient and see what else comes out. I would like to try to get in on a rooftop pool day party. I've got thursday filled up and saturday. Thinking could do some beach event(s) friday as well.

how many more events do you expect to be announced in the coming month or so?

We also plan on staying up all through saturday night until our flight leaves the next morning, so could use a nice after event once we finish sonar by night if we plan on leaving before it finishes

Coachella Junkie

I think there are still quite a few events to be announced. There have been 40+ events per night Thursday through Saturday for at least the last few years, and there are less than 20 per day announced right now. Of course, I don't know how many major events are left to be announced. I remember a LOT more information becoming available in May last year, and in fact, I ended up changing my party plans a few times due to all the new party announcements.

At minimum none of the free beach parties have been announced, and it seems like there is little information on pool parties yet. Last year there were a few parties per day at various hotels, and I haven't seen much on that yet. There should be a lot more in the way of day parties, IIRC.

As for Crew Love, I've not been to that venue yet, but I'm planning to go to a couple of parties there this year. I'd considered that party but I've had a lot of opportunities to see those acts. I imagine it would be fun.

Crew Love has a great lineup and sounds like there is a pool open for swimming at the venue. As for more parties, it seems like last year they were announcing parties right up to the week of. The Off Week fb page is still announcing new events. Hotflush on Saturday night is pretty much identical to the Boiler Room lineup they had a couple months ago. I liked that one a lot. You can find them on YT if you are not familiar with them.

Coachella Junkie

Here are my pics so far, I'm sure this will change (I'm waiting to hear about official Sonar event set times - hopefully in a month? - to figure out how much of that I'm going to).

Tuesday - (not doing any events)
    Wednesday - (wasn't planning on doing any events but now I'm tempted to go to BLVD just for Max & Perc's sets)
    Thursday - Part of Sonar by Day; Save the Day @ Parc del Forum; Hessle Audio Showcase @ BeCool
    Friday - Part of Sonar by Day; Innervisions @ Poble Espanyol; Sonar by Night
    Saturday - Part of Sonar by Day; possibly part of Sonar by Night
    Sunday - 1redlight @ Parc del Forum

Still looking for other parties for Saturday night (though I may just go to Sonar), and maybe something later night Sunday depending on how tired I am. Hoping for some good beach parties for Wednesday and saturday or Sunday.

PACK ME IN YOUR LUGGAGE

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

Coachella Junkie

Man Esferic looks really cool. I'm tempted to get a ticket to a party there just to check it out.

Last edited by chiapet; 04-25-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Coachella Junkie

I take it back, some of the beach parties are starting to show up on off-Sonar.

Thursday - http://www.offparty.net/event-mac-ar...elona-off-2013
    Friday - http://www.offparty.net/event-mac-ar...s-visionquest-
    Saturday - http://www.offparty.net/event-mac-ar...music-showcase
    Sunday - http://www.offparty.net/event-mac-ar...ars-of-kompakt

There will probably be parties on Wednesday & Monday too.

So here is the deal with these - they are on the far eastern end of Barcelona, so it's a little bit of a hassle to get to (this thins the crowd though, especially during day-time). You can take a tram, bus or metro most of the way, but have to walk the last 1-2km. The combination of public transit + walking will take about 45-60 minutes from most places in central Barcelona. Taxis are also an option and I think it would be around 15 Euro.

The parties are completely free. They're held on outdoors on the beach. There's no sense of capacity. The 'beach club' portion of it provides port-a-potties, an outdoor bar, and a food stand to buy snacks and things like burgers/sandwiches. The only shaded section is for bottle service/VIP. The food and drinks are both stupendously overpriced. However, you can bring in your own stuff. Last year on Sunday, we brought in our own lunch, cava + juice for mimosas, beer, etc.

There is also a small cafe or two right by the beach at this spot, and if you don't bring enough beer, there are people roaming the beach selling cheap beer by the can. (This is a thing across all of Barcelona actually -- especially Pakistani guys selling beer on the street -- go ahead and buy one and drink it on the street like everyone else. It won't be 2 Euro inside the club ).

they are also having free beach parties at Chiringuito Mochima this year. I haven't been there. Only one has popped up so far but I'm pretty sure I saw mention of other days.
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?469391
    Last edited by chiapet; 04-25-2013 at 08:29 AM.

thanks for the input guys.

this just popped up:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?476616

the heck do early birds go so fast! lol

It seems thursday is getting hammered with events thus far. how many party's do you think I could realistcally fit in/or want to fit in? I got the half baked tickets and I plan on doing sonar by day. Any thoughts to grabbing tickets for another party thursday or you think I have my hands full?

thanks

Coachella Junkie

^ I was eyeing that event too. KiNK was one of the best acts I saw last year.
    f
    As for how many you can realistically do... depends.... I am not the one to ask, I am not reasonable. Keep in mind that these parties will probably not allow re-entry. (Sonar by Day definitely does not). Sonar by Day set times will be published in advance, the off-Sonar parties may or may not publish them (those that do usually only publish them earlier the same day/night or perhaps a day or two in advance).

If you are only wanting to spend a few hours at each party and don't mind potentially wasting some tickets, then ....???

Yeah I see what your saying about the crowds. I think the problem is when people have been out all day getting on it, they forget how to behave. I had to get rowdy with a few unreasonable people at the Diynamic beach party last year....

I think its possible to fit quite a few parties in per day, you just gotta be up for it. There will be parties that start real early in the day and then some that finish really late into the next morning so there will always be something on. Barcelona's like that anyway- there always seems to be something to do at all hours of the day.

Ideally I'm looking to do a day and night party everyday from Thursday to Sunday. So far I have:

Thursday- Save The Day, Life and Death, Hessle Audio
    Friday- innervisions
    Saturday-Sonar By Night
    Sunday- Secret Sundaze (Night)

Also thinking Visionquest vs Apollonia on the Friday but I'm definitely looking for parties on the Saturday and Sunday daytime so if anyone has any recommendations, it would be a big help. Also open to Wednesday as I fly in that day but it has to be something amazing otherwise I'll just save it for the next day. Preferably looking for rooftop and pool parties- did the Leftroom rooftop party on the Sunday last year which was great until it got shut down. Hopefully it will be on again though.

Coachella Junkie

Is that the Life & Death party at Esferic? I wish I would have jumped on that when the tickets were cheaper. The venue looks great, but now it's up to like 50 Euro...

I like the Kompakt beach party at Mac Arena Mar Beach Club for Sunday. Thinking I will split my time between there and 1redlight.

Coachella Junkie

Is that the Life & Death party at Esferic? I wish I would have jumped on that when the tickets were cheaper. The venue looks great, but now it's up to like 50 Euro...

I like the Kompakt beach party at Mac Arena Mar Beach Club for Sunday. Thinking I will split my time between there and 1redlight.

fuck me, this is priority number 1 for next year

Coachella Junkie

Geezus, you weren't kidding about Thursday. There are SIX parties I would really, really like to go to, and there have only been about 20 announced. There will be more. Ahhhhh.

Yeah Life and Death is at Esferic - I'm picking parties based on location as well as line ups
    Definately wanted to make life and death though as they've been one of my favourite labels over the past year. The tickets sold like crazy though- they went through like 5 releases in one day. Luckily I got the second release but the way the tickets are selling this year leads me to believe that there's a lot more people going to Sonar this year and they're really on it with buying tickets.

I was looking at the Kompact beach party on the Sunday as well as I wanna see DJ Koze so unless a great rooftop party comes up in the day, ill probably end up there....

Found this site helpful especially since I've never been to Barcelona before. Some good transportation tips and resources.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...barcelona.html
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 04-26-2013 at 12:01 AM.

I know this is a tad off topic from the music. Since I'm a first timer coming to Barcelona would anyone here be willing to suggest some tourist must do's? Were going to dedicate a solid 4 days to pure sighting seeing/tourism before sonar starts. Any restaurants or hiding gems of any sorts would be awesome.

thanks

ps- a nice topic for the weekend
    Last edited by jumpstart; 04-26-2013 at 05:50 AM.

Coachella Junkie

Since you have so much time in the city, I would suggest getting a travel book. I really like Rick Steves's books. I've not read his Barcelona 2013 one yet, but found his Spain book really helpful when I went to Barcelona the first time. (I did get the Barcelona book this year even though I've been there a couple of times - I like his books for restaurant recommendations and also for suggestions for walks to take).

"must do's" would depend on your interests, but I'm going to assume anyone going to Barcelona has at least a passing interest in art and architecture.

Absolute must-sees: Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell. Either Casa Batllo or Casa Mila. Some city walks (Passeig de Gracia, Barri Gotic, Las Ramblas described below).

If you're very interested in Moderisme (or Gaudi specifically), then I would suggest both Batllo & Mila, and taking a tour of Palau de la Musica Catalana (or, ideally, if there is a concert on that interests you, seeing a concert there - they have traditional Catalan music some nights). I think Palau Guell is able to be skipped.

Take a walk down Passeig de Gracia in L'Eixample neighborhood -- la Illa de la Discordia (Block of Discord) is famous for four Modernisme houses (including Casa Batllo). Even the street lamps in this neighborhood are amazing.

Take a walk in the Barri Gotic neighborhood (much of the neighborhood is actually more modern but it's still interesting and you can see its Medieval origins in some places). I do not think the Catedral is worth visiting, though you'll walk by it at some point. There are some Roman ruins here but it's not much to see.

Las Ramblas is worth a walk, though bear in mind it is nothing but tourists, it's also a good place to get pickpocketted (or even actually mugged at night). Also a walk on the port area & Barconeleta, you can even get to the beach right there (though it's not really a nice beach for swimming).

If you like Picasso, the Picasso Museum is great, though it doesn't have many of his very notable works. Instead it's a really good study of his career with rooms devoted to each phase. The museum is in the Ciutat Vella neighborhood, which is also a nice place for walks and a good neighborhood for bars and restaurants. (While it is touristy, it's also someplace that locals would go to eat).

There are many other museums. I've been really negligent about visiting them (that's something I hoped to have time to do this summer). If you like Joan Miro, there is a Miro museum in Montjuic which is small but lovely and has amazing views of Barcelona from the rooftop and patio. (Poble Espanyol is in the foothills of Montjuic so you will have some views from there too if you go to the parties there). Full disclosure - there are a lot of history museums and I went to none of them.

I don't normally go for the city bus tours, but if you have the extra cash and time, the open-top tourist bus is not a bad way to get acclimated on your first day (and possibly avoid a lot of walking and navigation while you are jetlagged). I did that on my first trip, and even though that was years ago I still feel like I have a pretty good general idea of where things are located.

That's it really. There are really only those 2-3 must sees unless you have a particular interest in a type of art. I think most of the 'sight seeing' I have done in Barcelona was more just talking walks and eating and drinking great things.

kick ass! thanks chiapet! I'll definitely look over this

Coachella Junkie

no problem. Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I'm no expert, but I have been there a couple of times and did a LOT of sight seeing my first time.

Something else I'll throw out there is that if any of you are there for a long time and have an entire extra day, there are a few things you could do outside of Barcelona proper:

- Montserrat National Park is completely accessible via public transit (about 1-1.5 hr each way) and is nice for hiking. (It is a religious site -- a local Holy Grail legend, with a nice monastery & cathedral, but also a mountain with trails). It has both unusual rock formations (serrated, hence the name) and unusual looking rock/sediment (it's pink and sparkly ). I think the highest peak is less than 1 mile above sea level so it's not very extreme for hiking. The trails are well maintained and well marked. You can see for miles in any weather and if the weather is clear you can even see the Balearic islands.

- Figueres is Salvador Dali's hometown and is about 2 hrs away by train. It's a cute little town. There is not a lot to see here, but there is... Dali's museum to himself. Yes, he built a museum honoring himself. It doesn't have any notable works but it has some of the odder pieces of his I've seen. More installation/sculpture, less painting. (Example: There is a coin-operated Crucifixion where you insert a coin to put Jesus on the cross). You'd have to really like him to make the trip worthwhile, but I loved it.

- Sitges is a beach resort town about a 40 minute train ride from Barcelona. I've not been there myself but have heard it's very nice if you want to get out of the city for a day (or even half day) to spend time on the beach. (Allegedly the beaches are a lot nicer than what is in Barcelona). It could be crowded given the time of year, though I think July/August are heavier beach tourism months.

- Madrid is 3 hours each way by high speed train. It would be feasible to get on a 7AM train (arrive in Madrid around 10AM) and a return train at 9PM (arrive back in Barcelona at midnight), giving you about 9-10 hours to sightsee, go to museums, etc. It would be costly (probably at least $150 RT for the train ticket) and it would be a long day, but if you won't have another opportunity to go to Madrid and were desperate to see a bit of it, it's an option. The museums in Madrid are top notch, and the eating is pretty fantastic too...

Rick Steves provided some of the most useful info for my trip. My first full day in the city I started out at La Sagrada Familia then walked a few blocks to an old hospital, hopped on a bus, went to the top of Parc Guell and walked down to the bottom. That route for Parc Guell is key because most tourist books and tours have you start from the bottom where all the main stuff is but for a gorgeous view of the entire city to the coast you need to go to the top. Most tourists don't trek all the way up because it's hot and a hill, but get some bread, cheese, and fruit, then enjoy a picnic in a shaded area with an incredibly beautiful view. Most of the people at that spot were locals walking dogs. The further down into Parc Guell we went, the more crowded it got.

Second most useful tip was booking tickets for Casa Batllo online then showing up with my smart phone and getting the PDF ticket scanned for entry. No line. No waiting. We went a couple hours prior to closing. Again, packed some snacks and enjoyed a sunset on the roof. Oh and if you happen to be into LSD, Barcelona Cathedral > La Sagrada Familia > Casa Batllo is a fantastic adventure!

Dettmann trainwrecked last year? Hmm. What the hell am I doing reading this thread!
    Oh Cara, you don't even know how disappointing his set was, especially considering that he was one of my most anticipated sets that night. I wanted to take some video of the setup to show friends how the events were and every video I tried to get during his set contains a noticeable fuck up or him just shooting the shit with people, posing for photos, or drinking shots or champagne. It was ridiculous but also provided some really funny moments.

Well, I feel less bad about probably missing him and Klock b2b in Detroit, then.
    FWIW, and this won't help you, Juan did tell me that those two were fantastic in NY not too long after the East Ender show. I attribute that to either being in NY or the more likely factor, Klock was there to make it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets