Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: BottleRock Napa Valley 2014

Default Re: BottleRock Napa Valley 2014

Well, the name "BottleRock" was purchased by a new group of investors, so it's a completely new group of promoters this year. So in that respect, looking long term makes sense, and they knew the risk they were getting into and the probable losses this first year might bring.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Well, the name "BottleRock" was purchased by a new group of investors, so it's a completely new group of promoters this year. So in that respect, looking long term makes sense, and they knew the risk they were getting into and the probable losses this first year might bring.
    I'm curious what your opinion is in terms of their survival chances? You seem to be on the up and up (I knew about the new investors but I just mean in general in all these discussions). Do you think BottleRock will have a 2015?

The first Coachella bankrupted Goldenvoice. Look at them now. The first stagecoach festival was underattended, they gave away thousands of tickets for free to get people to go. Look at it now. It can take years to build a brand. Taking a year off from bottle rock would do more harm than good to the brand. Have to keep it consistent if you want it to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    The first Coachella bankrupted Goldenvoice. Look at them now. The first stagecoach festival was underattended, they gave away thousands of tickets for free to get people to go. Look at it now. It can take years to build a brand. Taking a year off from bottle rock would do more harm than good to the brand. Have to keep it consistent if you want it to grow.
    You do know Coachella took a year off after its unsuccessful first year, right?

Not every festival will succeed. All Points West didn't make it, and that was a Goldenvoice fest. Napa has competition, between OSL and Treasure Island (and possibly first city fest, and to a degree Coachella). Hard to tell what differentiates them. At some point oversaturation becomes a reality.
    Last edited by braundiggity; 04-26-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Which is why bottle rock needs to keep it going. They don't do it this year they don't do it again at all. Goldenvoice could take a year off with Coachella back in 2000 because there was no competition.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    It can take years to build a brand.
    I wouldn't say that 3 headliners with possibly conflicting fan bases and a bunch of 90's acts is building a "brand".

I'd be really hard to find a group of 4 people willing to buy weekend passes that are interested in a good chunk of those acts.

I don't think Napa is a good market for a festival like this, despite its proximity to San Francisco and the East Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I wouldn't say that 3 headliners with possibly conflicting fan bases and a bunch of 90's acts is building a "brand".
    Exactly. It's almost like they're testing everything to see what the reactions are and decide what direction to go in with future lineups. Wouldn't actually shock me if they became a more country oriented festival if Eric Church is a hit.

I spoke to a few of organizers last year when I went and they told me they want this festival to be a rock and country fest only. Obviously and unfortunately that has changed with the new investors. I was very impressed with the festival. I have never seen an inaugural festival go so well despite the aftermath of not paying people. I think they should keep it a rock and country festival. It is a great festival for Napa, the only thing that sucks is lodging.
    Woodstock '94 and '99, Phish Fest '99, Moe. down '00, Gathering of the Vibes '00-'03, Rock the Bells '07, Sunset Strip Music Festival '11
    Coachella W2 2013, Bottle Rock Napa Valley 2013, Outside Lands 2013, Uproar Festival Chula Vista 2013, NIN @ Staples Center 8.11.2013
    Phish @ SPAC 7.4.2014
    Crosby, Stills and Nash @ Bethel Woods 7.5.2014
    The Hudson Project 7.10-7.13.2014
    Motley Crue @ Chula Vista, CA 7.30.2014
    Outside Lands 8.8-8.10.2014
    NIN and Soundgarden @ Chula Vista, CA 8.21.2014

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    A lineup that includes Smash Mouth, Third Eye Blind, Sublime with Rome, Blues Travelers, Gin Blossoms, Spin Doctors and Barenaked Ladies is not any worse than a lineup that includes Zedd, AFI, Skrillex, City and Color, Capital Cities, the Naked and Famous, Foster the People and Lana Del Rey. In 15-20 years, more than half of those bands will be lucky if they can pull a state fair gig.
    Smashmouth were down to playing county fairs recently and not big counties either. Who knows where Tillamook county is ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Gin blossoms are better than 80% of the coachella lineup just admit it .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

I've never seen a festival listed on both Goldstar and Living Social..

http://www.goldstar.com/events/napa-ca/bottlerock-napa

https://www.livingsocial.com/events/...FY6RfgodyUYAew

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    I've never seen a festival listed on both Goldstar and Living Social..

http://www.goldstar.com/events/napa-ca/bottlerock-napa

https://www.livingsocial.com/events/...FY6RfgodyUYAew
    I will be surprised if a year three occurs. I was expecting some late adds (as they said some would occur) but with only three weeks remaining I am pessimistic that that will occur.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    At some point oversaturation becomes a reality.
    Not to mention Lightning in a Bottle and, coming soon, whatever Sonoma Raceway does.

http://www.sonomanews.com/sonoma-rac.../#.U25pwm29KSM

Anyone have advice on renting a house for this? There don't seem to be many/any options on AirBNB, and VRBO's a bit limited as well. I expected to see more houses out there; just curious if there's another rental site I'm missing.

Anyone have advice on renting a house for this? There don't seem to be many/any options on AirBNB, and VRBO's a bit limited as well. I expected to see more houses out there; just curious if there's another rental site I'm missing.
    It would probably cost you a ton to rent a house. Everything around the festival grounds is very much residential, so I don't see people putting up their houses on AirBNB. At least, that's what I expect of people in Napa.

It's a bit out of the way, but I would try Sonoma.

http://www.tu.org/blog-posts/tu-and-...FKgI1ApQg.like

By using the promo code, TROUTUNLIMITED, you can save up to $50 off your tickets and know that 10% of your ticket proceeds are going to salmon and steelhead restoration and to making fishing better in streams you care about. (http://bottlerocknapavalley.com/tickets)

TU and Latitude 38 Entertainment Group are partnering to promote BottleRock Napa Valley, a three-day festival of fine music, food and drink in the heart of California’s Wine Country. 10% of tickets for this festival sold through TU will be donated to TU’s Water and Wine program, a unique partnership with wine grape growers on the north-central coast of California that aims to improve water supply reliability for farmers and streamflows for salmon and steelhead.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I'm going to wait until they pay me to attend. it can't be far off at this point.

Just post up at the new homeless shelter behind Target...it's like a 10 min walk right to the venue...that place is bigger and nicer than most hotels/motels/houses anywhere within the city of Napa.

I've heard that Napa Valley has a lingering stench of cow manure. Is this true? If so, to what effect will that have on how much OutKast's set will inevitably stink?

9/21 - Arsis @ New Royal Dive
    10/28 - Tycho @ North Park Theatre
    10/30 - The Rural Alberta Advantage @ Soda Bar
    11/4 - United Nations @ Los Globos
    11/12 - DFA 1979 @ House Of Blues
    11/14 - The Presets @ North Park Theatre
    11/29 - Cake @ Del Mar

Dont know how Outkasts set would stink if it hasnt previously.

Set times are up....I'm pretty pleased...Sunday will be great: Thee Oh Sees > Keep Shelly in Athens > Camper Van Beethoven > Black Angels > Deerhunter

And so glad to see The Cure with a full 2.5hr set. This is gonna be awesome.

When do the Cure actually play hour sets?
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Well I just didn't have faith in the promoters to do it justice, but they impressed me here.

Now that I see the schedule, Friday could be worth it.

So I am going all three days, my plan at this point is to go:

Friday: Sielle > Empires > Moon Taxi > Miner > Delta Rae > TV on the Radio > The Cure

Saturday: Victory > Cracker > Matt & Kim > Third Eye Blind > Weezer > Blues Traveler > Outkast

Sunday: The Stone Foxes > Thee Oh Sees > Spin Doctors > Keep Shelly in Athens > Barenaked Ladies > Ed Kowalczyk > Deer Hunter

What do you guys recommend?

That's sorta my schedule too...but I'm seeing Black Angels over Ed, and not bothering with Blues Traveler.

So now the discounted tickets aren't on sale anymore?

Looks like I'll be watching stubhub. Lowest tickets are $115 right now but thats lower than the $124 from yesterday. I feel like it will keep dropping but the fact that there are only 22 tickets available is kinda tripping me up.

Also, has anyone driven to this festival? Whats parking and getting out look like?

TVOTR getting 1.5 hours is nice to see.

You're fucked for parking. It's in a residential neighborhood. Last year they offered shuttle buses from a parking lot outside of town (they may be offering that again this year, don't know). If you don't do the shuttle thing, then you're stuck trying to park at the car dealerships nearby which charge like 50 bucks for a spot per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasoline Groove View Post
    So now the discounted tickets aren't on sale anymore?
    You can use promo code HAPPENING through their website and get a 1-day pass for $109.