Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scalper heaven: already 2,000 Coachella tickets on StubHub (and counting)

Default Scalper heaven: already 2,000 Coachella tickets on StubHub (and counting)

What percentage of these initial ticket purchases can be attributed to scalpers?

Default Re: Scalper heaven: already 2,000 Coachella tickets on StubHub (and counting)

2000/2000 x 100= 100% of scalped tickets on stubhub are being scalped.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

Default Re: Scalper heaven: already 2,000 Coachella tickets on StubHub (and counting)

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    2000/2000 x 100= 100% of scalped tickets on stubhub are being scalped.
    OH REALLY?
    The question I mean is of all the tickets sold to Coachella, around how many are purchased for scalping. Has nothing to do with StubHub figures necessarily.

old school

I wouldn't worry about scalpers. They will only win if you let them. They're going to lose their asses.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

just wait until april and you'll find tickets for face value.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about scalpers. They will only win if you let them. They're going to lose their asses.
    How?

They are going for $600 apiece right now for Weekend 1.

Even if they fail to profit, they can still sell their tickets at face easily between now and the event.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettosteez View Post
    What percentage of these initial ticket purchases can be attributed to scalpers?
    i checked out stub hub today before on sale like at 9:30 am, there was 1,300 tickets avail. so i imagine thats the % of presale scalpers. Its doubled now and will prob level off at 2,500 tickets.

i believe the lowest price was 460$ for a single day pass BEFORE the presale started.
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

old school

Scalpers game is to make a profit. If they sell for face value they don't make shit and a portion goes to stubhub or ebay & paypal so they actually lose. Sure they recoup their money but they could've invested that money between now and whenever the tickets arrive on other events that would've made them a profit. Its all about market value. If you kids start shelling out $600 or whatever a pass then guess what? Thats what price they're going to stay at. Yesterday they were all over ebay & stubhub for $400 for weekend 1. Making $50-100 off a pass is not a big return on an investment of $350 in the scalper game. They'll reconsider tying up so much money come next year.

2000 passes out of 180,000. They bought them all again!

oh no! less than 2 percent of the tickets are being scalped. Those fucking scalpers made coachella sell out.

edit: beat me to it^

Scalpers game is to make a profit. If they sell for face value they don't make shit and a portion goes to stubhub or ebay & paypal so they actually lose. Sure they recoup their money but they could've invested that money between now and whenever the tickets arrive on other events that would've made them a profit. Its all about market value. If you kids start shelling out $600 or whatever a pass then guess what? Thats what price they're going to stay at. Yesterday they were all over ebay & stubhub for $400 for weekend 1. Making $50-100 off a pass is not a big return on an investment of $350 in the scalper game. They'll reconsider tying up so much money come next year.
    You are dreaming.

Anyone can instantly sell a ton of passes right at this moment at $550 on Stubhub for Weekend 1.

They will not be left with any inventory unless they are greedy or too stupid to know when to sell them at peak value.

But keep telling yourself that the scalpers are suffering if it makes you sleep better at night.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    2000 passes out of 180,000. They bought them all again!
    You're making the assumption that every scalper has already posted their ticket for sale (and solely on StubHub, for that matter), which absolutely can't be true.

Edit: and to be clear, I'm not saying that scalpers are the reason Coachella sells out so quickly, which obviously isn't true either.

waaaaahhh
    The Knife - Beck - The Cult - Motorhead - QOTSA - Outkast - The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Pet Shop Boys - Temples - Crosses - Washed Out - The Preatures - Little Dragon - Mogwai - Broken Bells - Jon Spencer - Tiga - The Internet - Blood Orange - Naked and the Famous - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife - The Knife

Quote Originally Posted by StarsAreBurning View Post
    i checked out stub hub today before on sale like at 9:30 am, there was 1,300 tickets avail. so i imagine thats the % of presale scalpers. Its doubled now and will prob level off at 2,500 tickets.

i believe the lowest price was 460$ for a single day pass BEFORE the presale started.
    Single day pass, eh? I'd be careful with that one.

there is no way scalpers bought more than 5% of the tickets. max.

Quote Originally Posted by StarsAreBurning View Post

For a Single day pass?
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

sorry guys i meant for a single GA pass. D'OH
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
    You are dreaming.

Anyone can instantly sell a ton of passes RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT at $550 on Stubhub for Weekend 1..
    Shell it out if you have to have one RIGHT NOW then.

$350 + 15% StubHub fee = $402.50. Right now the cheapest ticket on Stub Hub is $459. So, a $57 profit - about 15%. Not exactly scalper margins. Only with massive scale would this make any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by ghettosteez View Post
    You're making the assumption that every scalper has already posted their ticket for sale (and solely on StubHub, for that matter), which absolutely can't be true.
    The days after the post lineup onsale is when scalper prices are highest. It won't be higher than it is today or tomorrow unless some GV announced a notable surprise act in April.

Yeah, the prices will fall to reasonable levels very quickly. You could get tix at face value for weekend 1 in the week leading up to it last year, and tix for below face value for weekend 2 in the week leading up to it.

You consider yourself a "helpful" person, don't you?

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Wait til Daft Punk drops on Saturday
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    just wait until april and you'll find tickets for face value.
    This is credited.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    $350 + 15% StubHub fee = $402.50. Right now the cheapest ticket on Stub Hub is $459. So, a $57 profit - about 15%. Not exactly scalper margins. Only with massive scale would this make any sense.
    I think a fair number of ticket sellers are low volume, casual scalpers that are selling an extra few tickets to just make enough money to pay for their own. It's not that difficult. GV isn't strict at all about allowing more than 2 tickets per person.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    I think a fair number of ticket sellers are low volume, casual scalpers that are selling an extra few tickets to just make enough money to pay for their own. It's not that difficult. GV isn't strict at all about allowing more than 2 tickets per person.
    all the people who bought pre-sale looking for cheesedick djs again.

Has anyone ever bought a ticket so late? Im down to wait till those prices drop but will the process be sticky to say the least? Does anyone have any experience with that???

Quote Originally Posted by amerado View Post
    Has anyone ever bought a ticket so late? Im down to wait till those prices drop but will the process be sticky to say the least? Does anyone have any experience with that???
    If you are looking for week 2, I bought last year like 1-2 weeks before for under face value off ebay.

Yes, week two would be ideal for me. Thats the plan I had in mind. It does seem a bit scary waiting so long what if you dont get the bracelet in time (yikes)