Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Bowl 2013 Season

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Hollywood Bowl 2013 Season

Meaning that it was coming off of the success Saturdays = Youth but made it very clear right off the bat that the setlist would not pull heavily from that album but would rather be comprised of songs that would lend themselves to classical orchestration. he did a 30-minute solo set with just him and his rig, playing stuff from Digital Shades Volume 1, then an 8 (or less, can't quite remember) song set of songs that did not feature him on vocals, and strangely included a remix of a Block party song. It was very cool, but pretty weird. It is true that the shows at Disney hall are different than the Bowl though, so who knows.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Meaning that it was coming off of the success Saturdays = Youth but made it very clear right off the bat that the setlist would not pull heavily from that album but would rather be comprised of songs that would lend themselves to classical orchestration. he did a 30-minute solo set with just him and his rig, playing stuff from Digital Shades Volume 1, then an 8 (or less, can't quite remember) song set of songs that did not feature him on vocals, and strangely included a remix of a Block party song. It was very cool, but pretty weird. It is true that the shows at Disney hall are different than the Bowl though, so who knows.
    regardless..they will not play crap from that soundtrack..if anything..it'll just be the only actual single ...argue all you want..it ain't happenin
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post

It was 5 songs.

I can see the single being played, but nothing else really. It would be cool if there was an interlude between songs that took after one of the tracks from the movie but even then its a long shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Steven Tyler & Joe Perry booking shows together minus Aerosmith? This fucking sucks.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Can someone explain to me why there isn't even 1 garden or terrace ticket on Stubhub or Craigslist for M83?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Because a lot got sold to subscribers, the public onsale only just happened recently, and the show isn't until the end of September.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

anybody excited about the Sound of Music singalong. Yearly tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Can someone explain to me why there isn't even 1 garden or terrace ticket on Stubhub or Craigslist for M83?
    You should keep checking TicketMaster's site. I see there are a couple of single tickets in the Terrace section now.

Thanks, they just released a few and some obstructed views in E and D as well.
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Stoked for Rodrigo y Gabriela/Devotchka/Lord Huron tonight! TM released some good seats for it over the last couple of days. I kept the TM map up for it and, at around midnight on Friday, I snagged two in Garden section 3, box 734. There's some decent last minute deals on StubHub for anyone interested.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    anybody excited about the Sound of Music singalong. Yearly tradition.
    Yes! I'm excited. My first year.

I was pleasantly surprised on how fun the Grease singalong was. Looking forward to SoM.

Bowl was amazing tonight. Le Sacre du printemps was just awesome. And thought Augustin Hadelich hit a it outta the park too. We got an add on from him with some Paganini. Sublime.

Side note- the Bowl is a bitch to get in and out of on a weeknight! Done it dozens of times. But the surrounding area just.. chock full of tourists in their cars. Couple that with rush hour and the Bowl crowd... shrug
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Nice! I know it's a cliche, but The Rite is probably my favorite piece of classical music. Or at least my favorite 20th century piece. Last year, I attended Dudamel's first performance of the Rite with the LA Phil and it was a revelation. I've heard that score hundreds of times -- know it inside and out -- but what Dudamel achieved that night knocked me out. I was prepared for the Phil to nail the violent, muscularity of Stravinsky's music, but I was not prepared for how red hot Dudamel got them to play. The score sounded new and exotic -- even sensual at times.

Well put. I have also seen it done there a couple of times and multiple times elsewhere. One thing I noticed about tonight's performance from the Phil and conductor Rafael Frühbeck de Burgo was some of the ambient noise that is generated during the piece really shown out. Detailed sounds that reminded me of rain during the Spring Rounds section were ethereal and given a lot of attention. Great great great.

I would never, ever, in a million years, even think about driving to the Bowl. I would only take the metro in from somewhere and walk up and down the hill.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Well put. I have also seen it done there a couple of times and multiple times elsewhere. One thing I noticed about tonight's performance from the Phil and conductor Rafael Frühbeck de Burgo was some of the ambient noise that is generated during the piece really shown out. Detailed sounds that reminded me of rain during the Spring Rounds section were ethereal and given a lot of attention. Great great great.
    Yes! Same at Disney last year.

And have to agree with Drinkey, driving to the Bowl is a mess. If you take the metro to the Hollywood/Highland station you can catch a free shuttle (when you show your TAP card) from there directly to the Bowl.

Anyone that's ever been to the Hollywood Bowl should know to NEVER drive there.

Worst parking situation I've ever seen.

It's alright if you park at Hollywood and Highland. But yeah, take public transportation if you can.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    It's alright if you park at Hollywood and Highland. But yeah, take public transportation if you can.
    Yeah, true.

I was referring to the stacked parking at the venue.

I almost always park at the Ventura Annex Lot and take the shuttle in. While the nightmare scenario could be pretty bad with stacked parking, I’ve had to park at the bowl four times, and it wasn’t as bad as I’ve heard it could be. The two times we parked in lot A, I’ll consider my anecdote lucky, but we got out of there each time in < 5 minutes. For the times we were in lots B and D, we were out of there in 10-15 mins.

I don't even liking driving NEAR the Hollywood Bowl before or after a show there, even when i'm not attending.
    last.fm

It's rare I take anything but the train there but I had little choice last night. Running late from So Bay where I work. But I do at least know a decent non-stack lot nearby and a few tricks to get in/out of the area if I do have to drive.

One good thing about the Bowl- whatever hassle you have to deal with before, during, and after, it's usually worth it. I can't remember the last time I didn't have at least a good time. And often, it's been a great time. That Peter Gabriel show last year still pops up in recent memory as one of the truly great shows I've seen there.

Surprisingly we got free parking with no hassle at Henry ford Amphitheater.There wasn't stack parking and got out of the area really quick when we went to the Hollywood Bowl a few weeks ago.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Perfume Genius @ The Independent 10/21/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14
    The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore 11/20/14
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/14

Last.fm

anyone going to m83 sunday?
    Last edited by tmac; 09-20-2013 at 10:43 AM.

I'm in section M.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

In the Garden boxes for Sunday. Definitely looking forward to this one.

Just bought my shuttle passes from the Westwood location for Sunday. I'll be at Terrace box 1135 if anyone wants to stop and say hi.

The hiiiiiiiiiils are alive with the sound of muuuuuusic!