Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol at Coachella 2013

Lurker

Default Alcohol at Coachella 2013

I'v done my best to search the FAQS/forum about this but iv had no luck on finding up to date info

1. How much are drinks inside the festival roughly? (spirits not beer)

2. Can you bring alcohol into the camping grounds?

3. Can you walk around the festival holding a drink or are there specific areas that you have to drink in?

4. If i don't have American photo ID do i have to bring my passport to buy alcohol within the festival or can i use my Australian photo ID?

Default Re: Alcohol at Coachella 2013

They are 100000000$ Mate!
    Agugugigigiguuuuuu

Drinks are pricey. You can bring alcohol/ no glass. You're confined to the campgrounds/ beer gardens. Idk, probably.

FESTIVAL SOLUTION
    i always sneak in alcohol and its honestly not hard....
    they sell these at bevmo and its really easy to hide in ur shoe or somewhere in ur clothing....
    fill it up with vodka and pour it into the frozen lemonade and u are golden...

CAMP SITE SOLUTION
    SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS DIDNT NOTICE IT UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE--->
    OF COURSE U ALREADY HAVE ABOUT A 24 PACK OF WATER BOTTLES
    WITHOUT DESTROYING THE PACKAGE
    PULL OUT THE BOTTLES FROM THE SIDE OPENING AND GET TO THE MIDDLE 4
    FILL THEM UP FULL OF VODKA OR GIN AND PLACE THEM NEATLY BACK INTO THE PACKAGE...
    FOR JAGERMEISTER POUR CONTENTS INTO A DIET COKE BOTTLE AND HAVE ABOUT THREE OTHER DIET COKE BOTTES IN A COOLER SO IT DOESNT LOOK OBVIOUS...
    FOR SAILOR JERRY FIND A CREAM SODA BOTTLE AND FOLLOW THE RULES AS THE THE JAGER MEISTER

fri- OUTKAST- The Replacements- Chromeo- AFI- Bonobo- Zedd- the Glitch Mob- Grouplove-Anthony Green-ZZ Ward-Anti-Flag- Flatbush Zombies- Crosses
    sat- Mgmt- Fatboy Slim- Nas- Kid kudi- Sleigh Bells-City and Colour- Chvrches- Mogwai- Future Islands- Rl Grime- the Internet-
    sun- Beck- Calvin Harris- Motorhead- Duck Sause- Flosstradamus-Toy Dolls- Big Gigantic- Strfkr-Fishbone- Bombino- Poolside- Showtek
    05~06~07~09~11~12.2~13.1~13.2~14.1~14.2

I'd like some help here too, any festival i've attended in Europe you can bring a few beers walking around but when we went to Big Day Out in Oz they had a mental system where you had to queue to buy drink tickets then queue to exchange these tickets for beer!
    Tell me this is not a system in place at Coachella?

No there're no drink tickets, but you have to drink inside the beer gardens on the actual festival grounds. The campgrounds are a different story.

good question! so you cant take your ale from the beer garens to the stages? and what ID is accepted? UK driving licence? loads of question marks?????

Quote Originally Posted by badabingbilly View Post
    good question! so you cant take your ale from the beer garens to the stages? and what ID is accepted? UK driving licence? loads of question marks?????
    You can't take your ale from the beer gardens to the stages, no. You can only drink in the beer gardens.

As for ID - that's a good question. Any US state ID would be good, i'm sure, but a UK drivers' license, it might be good enough or not.

That said - the way it works is via wristband. You go to an ID station and get your wristband, and then you're done with ID for the weekend. So you can use your UK passport *once* and then not carry it around with you, and the passport should certainly be good.

ok thats great thanks. nice one

Why don't you wankers stay in jolly old London with your questions isn't it? Sounds like a party for benders on this thread isn't it. We know you scaly waggers over there can't drink like us Yanks isn't it.. Well chump off now..

bevmo - where is is this place??? im a little special somtimes... let me get this right... u cant take beer to the stages?

also to add ive heard on the grapevine u get searched?? this is true? is it easy to smuggle drink in?

I'v done my best to search the FAQS/forum about this but iv had no luck on finding up to date info

1. How much are drinks inside the festival roughly? (spirits not beer) They sell Heinikin and i think Sam Adams? Not positive on the second. usually around 7-10$ depending on size.

2. Can you bring alcohol into the camping grounds?
    You can bring what you can drink (so to say) A case of beer, maybe two, and a PLASTIC bottle of something hard. If it appear excessive they may make you dump some. Don't be dumb about it. Best advise, if you want excessive hard something, use an OJ bottle or something and premix...

3. Can you walk around the festival holding a drink or are there specific areas that you have to drink in?
    There are "Beer Gardens" where you have to have ID to get into the garden itself. If your ID has a picture and they can verify age, you should be fine as long as you are 21. Drinks cannot leave the gardens

4. If i don't have American photo ID do i have to bring my passport to buy alcohol within the festival or can i use my Australian photo ID?[/QUOTE]
    If its got your picture and an age, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    also to add ive heard on the grapevine u get searched?? this is true? is it easy to smuggle drink in?
    Yes, you get searched going in the gates. You are allowed an EMPTY bottle or 2 to fill at the water station inside. I have filled bottles before and stuffed them in the bottom of my backpack before. If you look guilty, then you will get caught, and they'll just make you dump it.

As for Bevmo- Google it. There is a Ralphs a block or two away where you can stock up prior and they ALWAYS stock up huge for coachella. Many Many beers in cans.

And yes, you go to an ID station to verify your age, then you will get a over 21 wristband and no more checking the rest of the weekend.

thanks!!

I think a mixed drink ("spirits" to you) is about $10 or so. To my knowledge, the full bar with all different types of alcohol is only available at this round shaped bar in the back of the beer garden closest to the entrance, but there are margaritas in every beer garden which are tiny, but pretty damn delicious. Not cheap, not big, and thus pretty expensive to get drunk off of once you're in the grounds.

I will say that somehow, every year I've gone, friends have managed to smuggle a full water bottle of alcohol into the festival grounds, and I still don't understand how they did it. One girl I know got three full sized water bottles in Sunday of 2011, which blows my mind to this day.

oh... and also... if i run out of beer etc i can get the shuttle to the supermarket to buy more?? or are they gonna stop me? as there is a limit on how much i can bring in the car... ??

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post

As for ID - that's a good question. Any US state ID would be good, i'm sure, but a UK drivers' license, it might be good enough or not.
    ID can be touch and go with foreign driving licenses. My NZ buddies often never get served with their NZ licenses in US, security insist on passports. They have even turned down International Driving License.

So better to bring passport at all times.

I imagine you can take the shuttle into town to buy beer if you run out?

thats what i thought...

That said - the way it works is via wristband. You go to an ID station and get your wristband, and then you're done with ID for the weekend. So you can use your UK passport *once* and then not carry it around with you, and the passport should certainly be good.
    Not true. Last year, during Weekend 2, they were apparently having way too many underage drinkers caught with wristbands. They decided on Sunday that everyone needed to get a new white wristband. To get one you had to have your ID checked no matter if you had one of the old wristbands.

A LOT of people didn't have their IDs and either had to hike back to their cars/tents or go without. I know I didn't have mine with me, but luckily the rest of my group was still at camp and brought mine with me.

Technically they can check for ID at anytime. If they accept you UK/AUS driving license/ID, I would use that and at least have it accessible if needed during the weekend. Or jut sneak in alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I think a mixed drink ("spirits" to you) is about $10 or so. To my knowledge, the full bar with all different types of alcohol is only available at this round shaped bar in the back of the beer garden closest to the entrance, but there are margaritas in every beer garden which are tiny, but pretty damn delicious. Not cheap, not big, and thus pretty expensive to get drunk off of once you're in the grounds.

I will say that somehow, every year I've gone, friends have managed to smuggle a full water bottle of alcohol into the festival grounds, and I still don't understand how they did it. One girl I know got three full sized water bottles in Sunday of 2011, which blows my mind to this day.

There was a bar serving liquor in the beer garden near the sahara/gobi, most drinks about $10 each.

oh... and also... if i run out of beer etc i can get the shuttle to the supermarket to buy more?? or are they gonna stop me? as there is a limit on how much i can bring in the car... ??
    yeah. the shuttles from the campsite take you to ralphs, go there, buy beer, come back, EARLY.

You get searched going into the campgrounds (but it's ok to have alcohol there as long as you don't have *glass*) and then you get searched again going from the campgrounds to the venue.

I've never smuggled in alcohol, but I know people have, as I once had random strangers share their smuggled alcohol with me in the gogol bordello pit.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    Not true. Last year, during Weekend 2, they were apparently having way too many underage drinkers caught with wristbands. They decided on Sunday that everyone needed to get a new white wristband. To get one you had to have your ID checked no matter if you had one of the old wristbands.

A LOT of people didn't have their IDs and either had to hike back to their cars/tents or go without. I know I didn't have mine with me, but luckily the rest of my group was still at camp and brought mine with me.

Technically they can check for ID at anytime. If they accept you UK/AUS driving license/ID, I would use that and at least have it accessible if needed during the weekend. Or jut sneak in alcohol.
    Fair; I 've *never* encountered that, but it seems reasonably likely.

That said, I wouldn't want to carry my passport around with me 24/7 - that's very, very dangerous if you lose it - and so it's probably better to use the passport once (if they don't accept the drivers' license; i have no idea if they would or not).

Fair; I 've *never* encountered that, but it seems reasonably likely.

That said, I wouldn't want to carry my passport around with me 24/7 - that's very, very dangerous if you lose it - and so it's probably better to use the passport once (if they don't accept the drivers' license; i have no idea if they would or not).
    It was actually pretty funny to watch people attempt to walk into the beer gardens with the old wristband. You would spot them coming and laugh when they got the "what the fuck" face.

Use the passport once, then maybe carry the foreign ID for the ther days. Plus, in camping last year, they actually had an ID check outside of the festival. If you are camping, get ID checked there and then go put your passport back somewhere safe in your car or something.

Also, alcohol is not technically allowed inside of camping. If you put it in a plastic container and don't make it obvious, you should get it in. However, if they discover it, they may take it away. That said, I've never had a problem sneaking in alcohol.

It was actually pretty funny to watch people attempt to walk into the beer gardens with the old wristband. You would spot them coming and laugh when they got the "what the fuck" face.
    "Old" as in from the previous year?

Also, we got into the campgrounds with plenty of Alcohol last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

[QUOTE=dcbell05;2642362
    Also, alcohol is not technically allowed inside of camping. If you put it in a plastic container and don't make it obvious, you should get it in. However, if they discover it, they may take it away. That said, I've never had a problem sneaking in alcohol.[/QUOTE]

WTF?

From the FAQ:

Can we bring alcohol?

Reasonable amount of beer (limited to 1 case of beer per person) (NO KEGS, NO GLASS, NO LIQUOR), for personal consumption only (NO VENDING), by folks who are of legal age (21), will be permitted to be brought onto the camping areas (not concert area). If, however, in the security's judgment it appears that the amount of alcohol is excessive for the number of persons in the vehicle, or if anyone in the vehicle is under 21 years of age, the organizers reserve the right to deny entry of the vehicle and/or confiscate the alcohol. Kegs may not be brought onto the property. Please keep these things in mind and be sensible about how much you plan to bring in. Beer will be available for purchase on the concert field. Yes, boxed wine is ok to bring, too.
    Unless you're defining 'alcohol' to not include beer and wine, then alcohol is certainly allowed.

*Hard alcohol* has to be smuggled in, but this is actually not very hard to do (i've managed to do it every year, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by badabingbilly View Post
    You can't take your ale from the beer gardens to the stages, no. You can only drink in the beer gardens.

You actually need to go thru the whole ID Check/21 & over wristband ordeal daily now. They change the color of the wristband. At least they did from Sat to Sun during Week 2 last year. I left my ID in the campsite on Sunday & couldn't get a new drinking band until I went back to my campsite...but by then I just drank my own beer so it saved me some $.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Yeah...being the oldest guy in my group last year, I felt like a total dork when I was the only one not allowed in Heinekan dome cuz I didn't have my ID on Sunday and was wearing the old wristband.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate