Thread: Rodriguez!

Default Rodriguez!

Default Re: Rodriguez!

Definitely won't be missing this!

This is a must see for me!
    09-10-11-12-13

Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    ...you will usually hear House music at a HOUSE (thus the name), Drum and Bass can be played anywhere and requires both a DRUM and a BASS in the song to be apart of the DnB genre, where EDM music stands for European Digital Music and really doesn't need an explanation because everyone knows what that sounds like.
    "No, No, you're not thinking - You're just being Logical" - Neils Bohr

Ever since I discovered him, I've been obsessing over his music for the last few weeks. Great/Sad story but undoubtably really good music. This guy is not to be missed!!
    Coachella 2013
    The Stone Roses-Blur-Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Grinderman-Dog Blood-Beach House-Metric-Stars-Johnny Marr-Wolfgang Gartner-Nicky romero-Tommy Trash-Sparks-The XX-The Postal Service- New Order-Knife Party-Benny Benassi-Moby-Franz Ferdinand- SMD-Cafe Tacvba-Bat for Lashes-Richie Hawtin-Major Lazer-Fedde Le Grand-Bingo Players-Savages-3Ball MTY- Nick Cave-Vampire Weekend-Eric Prydz-Grimes-The Faint-Hardwell-Paul Oakenfold-Dinasaur Jr-OMD-Rodriguez-Parov Stelar Band

I just watched the documentary does he tour with that same band, blue sky or whatever? I'm hoping for an early tent...amazing...

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

I have been pipedreaming about this since the documentary was first announced, I was like FINALLY PEOPLE WILL KNOW ABOUT RODRIGUEZ. my dad showed me his music (he's south african) when I was like 12, I've always wondered why he's not as critically acclaimed as someone like neil young and why he never broke through in the states. and OH MY SWEET MERCIFUL FUCK WE GET TO SEE HIM PLAY.

this is the best booking since leonard cohen. he's someone I'm quite sure I'll be watching both weekends. and probably cry.

edit: my DAD is south african. rodriguez's music really became adopted as protest music during the anti-apartheid movement. kind of a confusing statement without that context)

The timing was simply haunting. Watched the documentary a week ago and then see him on the lineup. Amazing. For those who haven't seen the documentary, I highly recommend watching it. Rodriguez is such a noble man, I can only imagine his presence in Coachella.

Lurker

Who wants to meep up and watch Rodriguez and smoke a fatty? This guy deserves a big audience!

For anyone who may not know about Rodriguez or his story, here is a write up I did in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Rodriguez

Rodriguez is an incredible singer/ songwriter from the 1970’s who never made it anywhere. Until recently, that is, when his humbling and inspiring story was unearthed and shown to the world in the fantastic documentary Searching For Sugar Man

Rodriguez was discovered in Detroit in the early 1970’s and was quickly snatched up by A&M records because of his undeniable talent. I believe it was either his label rep or one of his producers that claimed back when he was signed that he was going to be “the defining voice of this generation.” However, his debut album Cold Fact failed to move any copies, despite it being an exceptional album from start to finish. No one could understand why, so they tried again and released his second album Coming From Reality, which once again failed to move copies and Rodriguez was dropped from label and he went back in obscurity.

However, unknown to Rodriguez or his record label, he became a national superstar and folk hero in South Africa of all places. Somehow Rodriguez’ music made it over to South Africa and he exploded in popularity. In fact, his popularity was compared to that of Elvis Presley and The Beatles. Folk music never really broke out in South Africa, so when they heard Rodriguez it was, to many in the nation, revolutionary. His song became anti-apartheid anthems and he became a folk hero along with it. However, no one of South Africa ever searched for Rodriguez because of the rumours of his suicide. Meanwhile, Rodriguez worked in construction and general labour in Detroit.

That is, until a long time fan and musicologist decided to search out how he died. Upon their quest, they discovered he was alive. When news broke, South Africa erupted in excitement and skepticism. It would be like if we were told Elvis had risen from the dead. Rodriguez himself was skeptical too, but eventually agreed to do a South African tour. He played 6 shows in South Africa, all to sold out crowds with roughly 10,000+ people in attendance.

A few years ago, a Swedish film maker decided to make a documentary on this incredible story and now, finally, Rodriguez, his music and his incredible story, is gaining traction around the world. His music is timeless, he spirit never broke, and he now has the attention he always deserved. While his fame is new, and his story is inspiring, it is heartbreaking to think he may only have a few years left in him, as he is getting pretty old after all. Rodriguez is not an act to be missed this Coachella.

“Sugar Man” from his 1970 album Cold Fact

“Crucify Your Mind” from David Letterman this past August.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

I will not miss this once in a lifetime act.
    Friday: Outkast, The Replacements, Girl Talk, Chromeo, AFI, The Afghan Whigs, Bastille, Jagwar Ma, Grouplove, Caravan Palace
    Saturday: Muse, QOTSA, Pharrell, Foster the People, Empire of the Sun, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, Cage the Elephant, CHVRCHES, Capitol Cities, Temples, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, Bear Hands
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, Trombone Shorty, Frank Turner, Surfer Blood, J Roddy Walston

I hope he doesnt conflict in my schedule...Im not totally in love with his music.Yet i like some of his songs.

Trentemoller @ Mezzanine 04/06/14
    The Knife @ The Fox 04/15/14
    Factory Floor @ The Independent 04/16/14
    The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's 04/17/14
    Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Just watched this documentary and I was utterly amazed. This is going to be a must see for me. Doesn't really matter who is playing at the same time, I'll be there.

Yup. Will this likely be the largest crowd he has played to in the U.S (depending on who shows up of course)
    DRUGS ON KIDS

I don't see it being a large crowd.... I could be wrong, but the turn out for Seun Kuti last year makes me think something similar could happen. Obviously, he has much more hype and press going into Chella, with the movie/story etc, but I dunno. It won't be a packed house.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I don't see it being a large crowd.... I could be wrong, but the turn out for Seun Kuti last year makes me think something similar could happen. Obviously, he has much more hype and press going into Chella, with the movie/story etc, but I dunno. It won't be a packed house.
    I think this crowd is going to be pretty damn huge. The buzz around the documentary seems to be growing every day and I am finding more and more people are becoming familiar with Rodriguez. I hope he doesn't get stuck in a tent. In my dream world, Rodriguez would get the sunset outdoor theatre slot, but I doubt that will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

I'll be there for sure. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see an amazing artist with an incredible story.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I think this crowd is going to be pretty damn huge. The buzz around the documentary seems to be growing every day and I am finding more and more people are becoming familiar with Rodriguez. I hope he doesn't get stuck in a tent. In my dream world, Rodriguez would get the sunset outdoor theatre slot, but I doubt that will happen.
    Oh man.... I just pictured Rodriguez with leonard cohen's spot on the outdoor and instantly got goosebumps.... I hope PT has the foresight to see what an incredible moment that would be....
    09-10-11-12-13

Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    ...you will usually hear House music at a HOUSE (thus the name), Drum and Bass can be played anywhere and requires both a DRUM and a BASS in the song to be apart of the DnB genre, where EDM music stands for European Digital Music and really doesn't need an explanation because everyone knows what that sounds like.
    "No, No, you're not thinking - You're just being Logical" - Neils Bohr

old school

I'm thinking tent against RHCP to close out the festival for music nerds.

This is quickly becoming one of my most anticipated acts. I cannot comprehend how a talent like this could be buried for so long.

He is getting a lot of attention for his incredible story and the movie but goddamn does his music stand up there with some of the greats. It's like if Donovan dropped Sunshine Superman and then quit and worked in construction for 30 years.

Thank god for South Africa.

If they could put this at Sunset on the Outdoor it would be absolutely perfect.
    Check out Sleeping In Is Giving In for great mixes and other cool stuff

Wow! What a great story.

As a side note it's interesting how many great acts have been getting time on Letterman.

so i bought Searching For Sugarman on dvd today.. can't wait to watch that shit!

4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

I saw Rodriguez open for Dan Auerbach back in '10 and he had to be helped on and off of the stage. It was a bit underwhelming, but these TV performances I've seen lately with the string and horn sections sound amazing. This is a set I reallly want to try and catch though Sunday is stacked for me

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWarbles View Post
    I saw Rodriguez open for Dan Auerbach back in '10 and he had to be helped on and off of the stage. It was a bit underwhelming, but these TV performances I've seen lately with the string and horn sections sound amazing. This is a set I reallly want to try and catch though Sunday is stacked for me
    Yea I am hoping he has a full band backing him up. Can anyone confirm if he is touring with a band or just solo acoustic?

Quote Originally Posted by lediable76 View Post
    Ever since I discovered him, I've been obsessing over his music for the last few weeks. Great/Sad story but undoubtably really good music. This guy is not to be missed!!
    I came across his music while sampling some of the groups on the lineup that I have never heard about. I was blown away after the first song I heard and I decided to do some research. I still need to watch the documentary. I have a feeling that this is going to be one amazing set. It will not only be a special and important experience for the fans but also for him, too.

No one else thinks he'll be on the mainstage? I'm guessing he gets Santigold's spot from last year, mainstage in the afternoon

This one gets me every time
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

old school

Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    No one else thinks he'll be on the mainstage? I'm guessing he gets Santigold's spot from last year, mainstage in the afternoon
    According to a Rodriguez interview prior to the lineup drop he was promised an evening slot.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    so i bought Searching For Sugarman on dvd today.. can't wait to watch that shit!
    watched it, what a great story! goosebumps through and through.. when he stepped on the stage in South Africa, damn. This set means so much more to me now.

"You're bigger than Elvis Presley"

4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium