Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2013 MLB Thread

Default Re: The 2013 MLB Thread

The Diamondbacks rotation is so thin that they only have 4 projected starters right now, but with this trade it drops to 3. You need someone to at least eat innings up to even use these relievers in useful situations. He only gave up 7 ER in his last 3 starts. Dbacks season is over

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Hate the trade. Igelesias was doing a fine job, and batting incredibly better than they ever thought he would. All in just his second year in the majors. Now they trade him for an injury prone pitcher who has seen his best days.
    I'm with you. Kind of puzzling.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    The Diamondbacks rotation is so thin that they only have 4 projected starters right now, but with this trade it drops to 3. You need someone to at least eat innings up to even use these relievers in useful situations. He only gave up 7 ER in his last 3 starts. Dbacks season is over
    Cahill and McCarthy are about to come back from the DL. They aren't great, but they are both starting pitchers that can eat up innings. We also have Skaggs in Reno right now, he isn't ready to be a full time major league starter but has been excellent at times this year.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Alright, I'll take your word for it. You guys know more about the Dbacks than I would.

Well looks like everything is starting to unravel for the Angels.

Pathetic considering the amount of $ spent.

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    Cahill and McCarthy are about to come back from the DL. They aren't great, but they are both starting pitchers that can eat up innings. We also have Skaggs in Reno right now, he isn't ready to be a full time major league starter but has been excellent at times this year.

Update on this - McCarthy is back in the rotation now, Zeke Spruill has been called up to fill a rotation spot until Cahill has completed his rehab assignment (2 more rehab starts).

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Diamondbacks have looked terrible lately.

I actually see why they were selling (albeit a bad pitcher) rather than buying.

I think all NL West teams besides the Dodgers are entering give-up mode now. None of them have looked good lately, and with the Dodgers suddenly playing championship baseball, I think they realize they're screwed. I realize the Dodgers won't continue at a 27-for-33 pace for the rest of the season, but all of the other NL West teams pretty much suck, and they know it.

The funny thing is that the Dodgers' weird plan of signing four expensive outfielders (Kemp, Ethier, Puig, and Crawford) has actually worked in their favor due to injuries. Even when all four are able to play, this actually gives them the opportunity to rest the injury-prone ones like Crawford/Kemp or sit Ethier when facing lefties. This is a pretty retarded signing strategy when it comes to efficient spending of team money, but it actually works if you have players who aren't exactly iron men (or struggle versus certain pitchers). I still think they are going to try and trade Ethier next year, especially if Joc Pederson is ready to come up from the minors.

There are two reasons for the team's turnaround:

1) The Puig/Hanley combination suddenly injected life into the offense. When it was just Puig, he was on fire, but the team was still losing. When Hanley came back, you had two guys who were hitting lights out, and it made everyone else around them better.

2) The bullpen stopped sucking. Not sure how the entire bullpen got its act together at once, but it went from horrendous to very good almost instantly.

Will be interesting to see what they end up paying Kershaw when he hits free agency. I bet he'll want $30 million per year. He's the best pitcher in baseball, and is one of the few who does everything well. He can even hit (though admittedly not as well as Greinke). But speaking of Greinke, Kershaw is 10 times the pitcher he is, and look how much money he got.

The Dodgers have actually been undermarketing Kershaw. Here he's the best pitcher in baseball (and has been for a few years), is good looking, and has a super-clean image. He's one of those good Christian boys who married his high school sweetheart, and probably one of the few who doesn't cheat on his wife. He's even active in charity behind the scenes, and seemingly because he really wants to, not for appearances. Why they're not marketing the hell out of this guy, I'll never know. He might end up the best pitcher in Dodgers history.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
    Diamondbacks have looked terrible lately.

I actually see why they were selling (albeit a bad pitcher) rather than buying.

I think all NL West teams besides the Dodgers are entering give-up mode now. None of them have looked good lately, and with the Dodgers suddenly playing championship baseball, I think they realize they're screwed. I realize the Dodgers won't continue at a 27-for-33 pace for the rest of the season, but all of the other NL West teams pretty much suck, and they know it.

The funny thing is that the Dodgers' weird plan of signing four expensive outfielders (Kemp, Ethier, Puig, and Crawford) has actually worked in their favor due to injuries. Even when all four are able to play, this actually gives them the opportunity to rest the injury-prone ones like Crawford/Kemp or sit Ethier when facing lefties. This is a pretty retarded signing strategy when it comes to efficient spending of team money, but it actually works if you have players who aren't exactly iron men (or struggle versus certain pitchers). I still think they are going to try and trade Ethier next year, especially if Joc Pederson is ready to come up from the minors.

There are two reasons for the team's turnaround:

1) The Puig/Hanley combination suddenly injected life into the offense. When it was just Puig, he was on fire, but the team was still losing. When Hanley came back, you had two guys who were hitting lights out, and it made everyone else around them better.

2) The bullpen stopped sucking. Not sure how the entire bullpen got its act together at once, but it went from horrendous to very good almost instantly.

Will be interesting to see what they end up paying Kershaw when he hits free agency. I bet he'll want $30 million per year. He's the best pitcher in baseball, and is one of the few who does everything well. He can even hit (though admittedly not as well as Greinke). But speaking of Greinke, Kershaw is 10 times the pitcher he is, and look how much money he got.

The Dodgers have actually been undermarketing Kershaw. Here he's the best pitcher in baseball (and has been for a few years), is good looking, and has a super-clean image. He's one of those good Christian boys who married his high school sweetheart, and probably one of the few who doesn't cheat on his wife. He's even active in charity behind the scenes, and seemingly because he really wants to, not for appearances. Why they're not marketing the hell out of this guy, I'll never know. He might end up the best pitcher in Dodgers history.
    While I agree with the bullpen point, and your points regarding Kersh and Grienke, Point 1 is incorrect. Puig debuted one game before Ramirez came back, and the Dodgers won the one game that he played in without Ramirez. The Puig/Ramirez combo is what's so powerful, but we haven't truly seen Puig working without Ramirez.

Edit: and I think honestly those two providing so much power and run support is what made the bullpen turn around. When they weren't facing the same amount of pressure every time they came in, they could concentrate more on form than on "Wins" and as a result they pitched better. You could see it best with League. He was still struggling, but when they put him into a few games where the Dodgers had a 4+ run lead, he would get in trouble but work his way out of it. Now he's looking more confident and throwing much better as a result.

Which is all to say, it's an exciting time to be watching Dodgers baseball.
    Last edited by bmack86; 07-31-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Sources are indicating a lifetime band is coming for A-Rod. Announcement expected tomorrow.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...nesis/2606319/

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Sources are indicating a lifetime band is coming for A-Rod. Announcement expected tomorrow.

That would be awesome, even though his career is nearly over anyway.

Always hated that arrogant POS.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post

As a Yankees fan Yes! He hasn't been able to hit the fastball since 2010 and if it gets us out from under his contract then fucking yes. I want to be be able to support and defend A-Rod but he has had so many chances to not clear his name but make it in a positive PR way and he has failed. I'm not trying to judge him as a person but a Yankees fan, I want to get rid of his contract. However the Yankees will probably just out that money into another bad contract.

It's a rough year to be both a Yankees and Angels fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

A-rod wont be banned for life. He'll take whatever 150 game suspension they give him. Yankees hopefully wont have to pay him the remainder of the year and next year....so that saves about 50M... Hopefully they could use some of that money and get some pitching to replace Hughes and Joba and someone decent at 3B and a legit starting catcher...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields
    U2: 6/28 @ United Center

I am a bit surprised the Dodgers didn't make a move at the deadline. Not that I have any knowledge of who was available and what they could get but with Joc Pederson being near big league ready and an already crowded OF in front of him I am sort shocked they didn't try and move him for another starting pitcher or an upgraded stick at third. It just doesn't make any sense to hold on to him unless if they plan on moving Either/Crawford in the off season which will be pretty hard to do with their contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

At least when they did this last time it was for a still in his prime, pre-chicken and beer Josh Beckett. I hope i'm proven wrong.
    The difference is they gave up Hanley Ramirez for Beckett. Iglesias is no Hanley. If anyone is, it's probably Bogaerts, who will be the Red Sox starting SS next year.

As hot as he started, Iglesias is 5 for his last 43. Granted, his fielding is immaculate (and will be the thing I miss most about seeing him play), but the report on him is that he'll be lucky to be a .260 career hitter.

again, I don't necessarily like the trade, but I understand why they did it.

Wasn't saying Iglesias was on the level of Ramirez just noting their history of trading away shortstops, and then having a need at the position. By the way, Bogaerts may look great in the minors, but that's not indicative of how he will look in the majors. Example Jackey Bradley Jr., Middlebrooks, etc. who got called up maybe looked good for a bit, and are now right back in the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    I am a bit surprised the Dodgers didn't make a move at the deadline. Not that I have any knowledge of who was available and what they could get but with Joc Pederson being near big league ready and an already crowded OF in front of him I am sort shocked they didn't try and move him for another starting pitcher or an upgraded stick at third. It just doesn't make any sense to hold on to him unless if they plan on moving Either/Crawford in the off season which will be pretty hard to do with their contracts.
    Crawford and Kemp have both shown they're more prone to injury and Ethier is inconsistent. Pederson is going to be the future of their outfield along with Puig, and one of the big pushes that Kasten is focused on is rebuilding the farm system to its old glory. The team probably figures that there's no point in replacing a .250 hitter at 3rd when he's so good at his position and the starting pitcher situation still has some room to develop, seeing as how we've got four strong arms and a fifth that did really well before he wound up on the DL. It just seems like they've built a team they like.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see either Crawford or Ethier get dealt over the off-season. More likely Ethier if he keeps performing surprisingly well for the rest of the season and doesn't face any injury. It'd be good to have Pederson as an option for Center so that Kemp could move to one of the other fields and have less territory to roam, creating less risk of injury.

Wasn't saying Iglesias was on the level of Ramirez just noting their history of trading away shortstops, and then having a need at the position. By the way, Bogaerts may look great in the minors, but that's not indicative of how he will look in the majors. Example Jackey Bradley Jr., Middlebrooks, etc. who got called up maybe looked good for a bit, and are now right back in the minors.
    yeah. I still believe Bradley, Boagaerts and Middlebrooks will be starters at their positions next year and for years to come after. Also Bogaerts projects to be a better player than both Middlebrooks and Bradley. Plus, Drew is their shortstop for the rest of the year anyway. Unless he gets hurt.

Let's hope you're right on all accounts, especially with Drew already being injured once this year.

Went to the Dodger game last night. I was disappointed by the outcome, but I got to see Mariano Rivera pitch for the first time in my life. I will remember that forever.

God damnit, I love baseball. This time of year is so much fun. No other sports to distract.

Amazing that Rivera can still pitch so well, despite being 4 months away from turning 44.

Also you have to admire the guy for not pulling a Jamie Moyer and trying to extend every last drop out of his career. He's leaving on top, much like Chipper Jones did (but even moreso).

Dodgers really threw that one away last night. They had chances to get at least 1 run across, and failed.

Puig caused those other two runs to score, and blunders like that will become more and more commonplace with him, as he just didn't have the time in the minors to work that type of stuff out of his game.

Not sure what Adrian Gonzalez -- one of the slowest runners in baseball -- thought he was doing by trying to stretch a single into a double.
    This space for rent.

Dodgers have a 2 1/2 game lead. Season's over, says Archie.

And if you think trading Kennedy constitutes "selling" you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Dodgers have a 2 1/2 game lead. Season's over, says Archie.

And if you think trading Kennedy constitutes "selling" you haven't been paying attention.
    I realize Kennedy has been terrible, and getting rid of him will be no loss.

I also realize that the D-Backs did nothing to improve their team (unless you consider addition by subtraction improvement), which is not characteristic of a team really trying to win the division.

The season isn't over, but I think the D-Backs realized that they are unlikely to hit the wildcard, and that winning the division over the better-talented Dodgers would be tough, so they aren't trying too hard to really fight this one out down the stretch.
    This space for rent.

How does adding another lefty to the bullpen not improve their team? The bullpen has struggled and needed another arm.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

And specifically, the bullpen needed a decent lefthander, because that has been total fail all year.

I don't think anyone fears the Dodgers. They are just as capable of tanking as anyone.

I think the Padres probably fear the Dodgers. The Padres also fear playing baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    How does adding another lefty to the bullpen not improve their team? The bullpen has struggled and needed another arm.
    Struggled is an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The Padres also fear playing baseball.
    el oh el.

(sorry Lee).

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    And specifically, the bullpen needed a decent lefthander, because that has been total fail all year.
    Yep. Also, Thatcher has a 2.10 ERA. I was kind of worried we weren't going to make a move before the deadline.

I don't follow minor league prospects, but apparently this AA-ball reliever we also got is supposed to be pretty good. some guy* on talk radio the other day was saying he could be the Dbacks closer in 2 years.

* host, not just some caller

Dodgers just won their 12th straight road game, which matches a team record set by the 1924 Brooklyn Robins (fun trivia fact and totally gay team name).

Also, if there are any Cubs fans on the board, you've got to be pretty happy with this Junior Lake kid. He's kind of like Puig-Lite right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

braves have a nine game winning streak. now it's time for my mad scramble to try to make a couple of games in atlanta this year
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.