Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2013 MLB Thread

Default Re: The 2013 MLB Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Have you been to Fenway?
    Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    I don't think he's been lately.
    Except for last year I've been to Fenway every year since like 1998. I went to a handful of games in 2011. Never once felt like Fenway needed to be replaced, at least not within the last 10 years or so.

As a fan of the game, I like the fact that Wrigley and Fenway exist as they are. But then again, I don't have to regularly deal with buying obstructed view seating from scalpers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

at least the Pads took the rubber game
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I agree with the concerns regarding Kemp. He just doesn't look like the same Matt Kemp that I remember. As far as Cruz, I'm really hoping that once he connects once and gets that first hit, it's going to come around for him, as his fielding has been stellar and I'd love to see him stay out there. Gonzalez has yet to show that he's worth what he's getting paid in my mind.

I actually thought Ryu looked decent. He got into some trouble a few times (which I would partially chalk up to 1st MLB game jitters) but he had a good hand in getting out of those situations without letting them blow up in his face. I was also happy with Beckett's performance except for those two home runs. If it weren't for Schumaker blowing that throw, that game would have been much more competitive.

I really disliked seeing the Giants look as confident as they did, but it was to be expected. They are a really solid team, but they have a very shallow pitching rotation and what we saw of their bullpen left a lot to be desired. As this team's not really been known for massive amounts of scoring, I think they'll have a tough time recapturing the magic of last year. They're definitely going to be missing Cabrera.
    Missing Cabrera? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by isnate View Post
    Missing Cabrera? LOL!
    Yeah. Melky was big for the Giants when he was on the team last year. He is a .300 hitter with decent being replaced with two .250 hitters with below average. The Giants won the series, but the Dodgers are an overrated team. They're good and spend a lot, but I don't see them winning the World Series.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I agree with the concerns regarding Kemp. He just doesn't look like the same Matt Kemp that I remember. As far as Cruz, I'm really hoping that once he connects once and gets that first hit, it's going to come around for him, as his fielding has been stellar and I'd love to see him stay out there. Gonzalez has yet to show that he's worth what he's getting paid in my mind.

I actually thought Ryu looked decent. He got into some trouble a few times (which I would partially chalk up to 1st MLB game jitters) but he had a good hand in getting out of those situations without letting them blow up in his face. I was also happy with Beckett's performance except for those two home runs. If it weren't for Schumaker blowing that throw, that game would have been much more competitive.

I really disliked seeing the Giants look as confident as they did, but it was to be expected. They are a really solid team, but they have a very shallow pitching rotation and what we saw of their bullpen left a lot to be desired. As this team's not really been known for massive amounts of scoring, I think they'll have a tough time recapturing the magic of last year. They're definitely going to be missing Cabrera.
    Pitching won't be the Giants' problem. Yes, Lincecum looked lousy and Zito hasn't been good in years, but Cain and Bumgarner are really good, and Vogelsong has had a weird RA-Dickey-like career turnaround in his mid-30s. The Giants bullpen is actually good. Lopez is an absolute killer on lefties, and Romo has been looking great as a closer. The other relievers are a mixed bag, but overall that team has a strong bullpen, as do the Dodgers.

The problem for the Giants will be offense. It's hard to win championships -- or divisions -- when half your lineup is comprised of Blanco, Scutaro, Crawford, and Belt. Perhaps Belt will finally come around and reach potential, but so far I'm not seeing it. Perhaps Scutaro will hit for a really high average again and keep launching clutch double after clutch double, but I think it's more likely he will regress back to .270 with little power.

The Dodgers have a big bench problem. This is inexcusable given all of the money they have been willing to spend.

They've got Punto, Uribe, Jerry Hairston, Schumaker, and a rookie catcher.

Yuck.

The only one worth a damn out of that group is Hairston, and he is constantly getting injured.

Punto can be okay if you need him to slap a single, but that's about it.

I never understood why more MLB teams don't put at least one high-power, high-strikeout guy on their bench. You know.... a Tony Clark type. Sometimes you need a player like that in the 9th inning when you're down 3 runs with two on and two out. The Dodgers had this twice in the '90s with Billy Ashley and Matt Luke, and it worked out for them. Those two guys, while not good enough to be every day players, had the power to fill that much-needed "9th inning Hail Mary" role. I saw them win several games that way. I don't know why most teams ignore this, including the current Dodgers team. They did grab Jim Thome for this a few years back, but he was already like 40 years old and his power was mostly gone.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    at least the Pads took the rubber game
    the third game of a three game series is only a 'rubber game' if the teams split the first two.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Cubs win the first series of the year.... I smell a playoff run

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
    Cain and Bumgarner are really good
    holy shit what happened to Cain today? 9 runs in one inning?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

How do you guys like my fellow Korean Ryu?
    I'm glad he got his first win today!
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Will Middlebrooks with THREE bombs in the Sky-Dome today to pace the Sox in a 13-0 laugher over the Jays.

Lester looked poised once again; Dickey looked like the anti-Cy Young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    holy shit what happened to Cain today? 9 runs in one inning?
    Payback for the 5472783 games he got less than 3 runs of support over his career.

Right, nothing says 'fuck you guys' quite like ruining your own stats.

I never understood why more MLB teams don't put at least one high-power, high-strikeout guy on their bench. You know.... a Tony Clark type. Sometimes you need a player like that in the 9th inning when you're down 3 runs with two on and two out. The Dodgers had this twice in the '90s with Billy Ashley and Matt Luke, and it worked out for them. Those two guys, while not good enough to be every day players, had the power to fill that much-needed "9th inning Hail Mary" role. I saw them win several games that way. I don't know why most teams ignore this, including the current Dodgers team. They did grab Jim Thome for this a few years back, but he was already like 40 years old and his power was mostly gone.
    Because it generally makes more sense to have a valuable player on the team?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    Lester looked poised once again; Dickey looked like the anti-Cy Young.
    Dickey has a whole season to prove me wrong, but I've never bought any of it. "Statistical fluke season at age 37 based on the deployment of a gimmick pitch" usually doesn't project well into the future. Especially when you change leagues the next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

And of course, Torii Hunter is doing well with the Tigers. Fucking Angels.
    Mazxy star was nice and dreamy robightm crowd wouldn't follow no photo request. First time in the green room. Mmm free beer and wine.glad I got to see them Cruz I missed Coachella 3012

Did you honestly expect him not to do well with the Tigers?

Other News Weaver is out 4-6 weeks. That screws up my fantasy pitching, but then again I do have both Verlander and Kershaw so it's not to bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I expected Hunter to post another two solid years. Instead of keeping Torii around and finding another worthwhile starter, they bet on Hamilton. I'm sure both Hamilton and Hunter will have similar numbers by the end of the year.
    Mazxy star was nice and dreamy robightm crowd wouldn't follow no photo request. First time in the green room. Mmm free beer and wine.glad I got to see them Cruz I missed Coachella 3012

In other news, Yankees won 14-1 tonight, hit 5 home runs, are now 4-4 on the season... and Pettitte is 2-0 with a 1.20 ERA.....32 runs in the last 3 games, I hope they can keep this up
    Last edited by paulb; 04-10-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    In other news, Yankees won 14-1 tonight, hit 5 home runs, are now 4-4 on the season... and Pettitte is 2-0 with a 1.20 ERA.....32 runs in the last 3 games, I hope they can keep this up
    Pettite is going to be 41 in two months. And he isn't going to have the benefit of 'roids like Clemens did in his late career. Good luck seeing consistency out of him throughout the long season.
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

I was going to wear my angels hat this weekend, but id rather take the sunburn and risk getting skin cancer
    09,10,12w1,13w1

Pettite is going to be 41 in two months. And he isn't going to have the benefit of 'roids like Clemens did in his late career. Good luck seeing consistency out of him throughout the long season.
    Any other pitcher I would agree with you but never doubt Andy Pettite. I would say he is more likely to get injured then anything. Even last season before he got hurt it was pitching really well from coming out of his retirement. Plus who ever has had a better pick off move then him? I've never seen anyone but then I am only 24 so it might exist.

Unforgettable vibe at Fenway today. Sox win in dramatic fashion.

Pre-game ceremonies full of heroes and tears and this f-bomb by Big Papi:

Automatically goes into my Top 5 Fenway games of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

Yeah I almost spit out my beer when I was watching that^ and I heard him drop the f-bomb, haha. Great to have Papi back. Incredible game.

The first and only Boston game of my life where I was routing for them to win.

Holy shit it's 1:30 AM and this A's/Angels game is still going on. 6 players have already died.

Congrats to Tim Hudson on his 200th win tonight. And he hit one out of the park. All against division rival Washington.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

The Cubs..

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Hahahaha thats good..... Yesterdays loss was such an embarassment. I really thought we were sort of turning a corner and then a complete meltdown to take the wind completely out of my sails. Well at least we will end up having david price and mike stanton in the next year two years.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Quote Originally Posted by ActionComics View Post
    I was going to wear my angels hat this weekend, but id rather take the sunburn and risk getting skin cancer
    I was at the game last night. What an embarrassment this team is turning into. They wasted Blanton's first non-shitty start of the season. Hamilton batting under his weight and swinging at balls by his face.

...and the stadium crowd this thinning out fast. Only about 20K there last night. Empty parking lot. Cops busting the few tailgaters under the big A. I sense the dark times coming for Angels fans that look very much like the sad sad 90s. Fucking sucks, man.