Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last 10 Albums You Could Ever Listen To

Default The Last 10 Albums You Could Ever Listen To

If you could only listen to 10 albums for the rest of your life, what would they be? Would you stock up on a bunch of albums from your favorite artist(s) or select a representative album from each of your top 10? Would they be albums you consider to be the 10 best of all time or would you sacrifice one of the albums from that list in favor of an album that you know you'll never tire of and is a lot more fun?

The thought came to mind when I was trying to go to sleep Friday night and deciding on #10 kept me up for a good half hour at least. The first 9 came to me pretty quickly. Anyway, I'll start, in the order that they come to mind:

Fever Ray, Fever Ray
    Portishead, Roseland NYC
    Nirvana, MTV Unplugged in New York
    Radiohead, OK Computer
    Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde
    The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground and Nico
    Arcade Fire, Funeral
    The Beatles, Abbey Road
    Fiona Apple, When the Pawn...
    Robyn, Body Talk
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Default Re: The Last 10 Albums You Could Ever Listen To

Do greatest hits, singles collections and box sets count?
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvny on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

I would try to have different genres and, possibly, different time periods represented. So it might not be just a literal 10 favorite albums of all time. I think maybe something like.

Radiohead - OK Computer (Favorite album of all time. For my tastes, this is perfection)

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York (20 years later, and it holds up just as much for me. It's urgent, intense, and beautiful)

Sigur Ros - gtis Byrjun (I would want something haunting and relaxing, and this is perfect for that. One of my 3 "desert island" albums, along with the two above)

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (I would want to include an electronic album, and this is my favorite in that broad genre)

My Morning Jacket - Okonokos (My favorite live band of all time, so it makes sense to include their amazing live album)

The Beatles - Abbey Road (The Beatles just feel like home and need to be represented. I could easily substitute this for Revolver, Rubber Soul, or The White Album)

Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See a Darkness (It makes sense to me to include something that's simply moody and heartbreaking. Songs like "Nomadic Revery" and "Death to Everyone" are as good as it gets to me in that realm. Even if he's not singing about bleak themes, Will's voice can make anything sound soul-crushing, and I mean that in a good way)

Metallica - Ride the Lightning (I would need some heavy music. Though there's a lot to choose from, Metallica just brings back good memories. This is a classic and definitely my favorite album of theirs)

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea (A female voice needs to be included, and PJ Harvey is my favorite female musician. This could probably be considered one of my 10 absolute favorite albums, anyway)

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (This is probably the least essential for me out of these 10. I considered albums by NIN, The Cure, The Clash, and The Velvet Underground, but I went with Dark Side of the Moon. Many will complain that this album is overplayed or overrated, but I love the variation and warm nostalgia that would come with it. Plus I could get things from this album that I probably couldn't get in the other 9 albums, like the vocal breakdown in "Great Gig in the Sky")

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    Do greatest hits, singles collections and box sets count?
    Yes to greatest hits and singles collections, no to box sets. Aren't there box sets that collect an artist's entire discography? That would be cheating.

Leonard Cohen's The Essential Leonard Cohen was a strong contender but I opted for Robyn because I wanted something fun and I haven't grown tired of those songs after listening to them on steady rotation for more than 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York
    Sigur Ros - gtis Byrjun
    Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92
    My Morning Jacket - Okonokos
    The Beatles - Abbey Road
    Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See a Darkness
    Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
    Ha, of course you and I have 3 of the same picks.

That PJ Harvey album is my favorite of hers as well and I actually just listened to it at work the other day. "The Whores Hustle and the Hustlers Whore" was the song that made it no question in my mind that I'd be seeing her at Coachella instead of anyone else she may have been conflicting with. Was a total bummer she didn't play that.

Rubber Soul was the other Beatles album I could've gone with -- it was the first of theirs that I listened to and it made me a fan -- but ever since I heard Abbey Road, that's been my go-to Beatles record.

While I'd be giving up "Drain You" and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" with Nevermind, Kurt's vocal performance on "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" is so overwhelmingly powerful that Unplugged needs to be the inclusion. And "Let Down" does the same trick for OK Computer.

I'm surprised I've never listened to that Bonnie "Prince" Billy album yet considering your description, but if you hold it in such high regard, I'm going to need to give it a spin.
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Though this could change a little next week depending on my mood:

1. Depeche Mode :: Violator
    2. The Cure :: Staring at the Sea: The Singles
    3. Adam & the Ants :: Kings of the Wild Frontier
    4. KMFDM :: Nihil
    5. My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult :: 13 Above the Night
    6. The Smiths :: The Queen Is Dead
    7. Lords of Acid :: Our Little Secret
    8. Ramones :: Leave Home
    9. The Clash :: Sandinista
    10. AC/DC :: Back in Black

1. Joanna Newsom - Ys (It's my favorite album. I would strongly consider swapping for Have One on Me just to have more range and breadth, but that would mean never hearing Cosmia or Only Skin again, and nope, not going there.)

2. Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun (Sunny days, dark nights, driving, sitting alone, dancing with people: This works in just about any circumstance I could picture myself in. It hits the best of those Krautrock expansive vibes with enough electronic and folk nods to make it a great, varied listen.)

3. Sepultura - Chaos A.D. (As tempting as Slayer and Metallica are, this one has more range and some of the best riffs ever. An album to get me pumped and keep me there.)

4. Louis Armstrong - His Hot Fives and Sevens 1926-1928 (This is a record I own that's a compilation of Armstrong at his best. I love bop, hard bop, cool jazz, fusion, big band and the like, but this is the end all be all of jazz in my opinion and scores a late night perfectly.)

5. The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime (There's never a time where this record doesn't put a smile on my face and get me singing at the top of my lungs. Plus, 46 songs means there's going to be tons to listen to.)

6. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (Another double album, another masterpiece of a specific genre that I never tire of hearing.)

7. Parliament - Mothership Connection (The funk never sleeps, and I feel like I'd have to have at least one great funk record. This is the greatest.)

8. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Live/Rust (Rust Never Sleeps is my favorite of his, but most of those songs are on here, as well as a smattering of his best work. Yet another double album.)

9. Mississippi John Hurt - Today! (The hardest choice was finding a folk album or a blues album that cuts between the bliss of great folk and the moan of great blues. So I split the difference and went with an album that sounds like a smile from a worn-out but still-fighting old man. Doesn't hurt that it's excellent.)

10. Ramones - Its Alive (The first three albums played at breakneck pace with great stage banter: I ate some chicken vindaloo, I wanna be well. ONETWOTHREEFOUR!)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Is this one of those "I'm going to post this thread in here instead of the Music Lounge because omg all those morons do is argue" threads?
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    10. Ramones - Its Alive (The first three albums played at breakneck pace with great stage banter: I ate some chicken vindaloo, I wanna be well. ONETWOTHREEFOUR!)
    probably a better choice, definitely more encompassing

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Is this one of those "I'm going to post this thread in here instead of the Music Lounge because omg all those morons do is argue" threads?
    Haha, that wasn't the intention. I didn't realize I was posting it in the Misc lounge.

probably a better choice, definitely more encompassing
    More of their music, played faster. You can't go wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

11. David Bowie :: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

In no particular order:

Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
    The Wrens - The Meadowlands
    The Notwist - Neon Golden
    American Analog Set - Know By Heart
    Liars - Drums Not Dead
    Wire - Pink Flag
    Boris - Pink
    Primal Scream - Screamadelica
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    Beulah - Yoko

These are all albums I can listen to at any time, in any mood.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads
    Elvis Costello - Live at Hollywood High
    The Clash - London Calling
    The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Titus Andronicus - The Monitor
    Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
    The Replacements - Let It Be
    Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
    Captain Beefheart - Doc at the Radar Station

The last pick is strategic - if I can only listen to 10 albums for the rest of my life, I want one of them to be one that shows great promise but that I don't know very well, so that I can be discovering something new and keeping my brain sort of engaged.

The other 9 are, I guess, sort of TomAz's Greatest Albums of All Time That Tend to Be Long and More Complex Than Other Shorter, and Possibly Better, Albums By the Same or Similar Artists. Hence Blonde on Blonde over Highway 61, Kid A over OK Computer, Exile over Let It Bleed, etc. But the logic is not universally applied, as you can probably tell. I only put a few minutes of thought into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I went with ten artists I can't imagine never hearing again and then the best from each (with one exception...two if you count Fever Ray since they only have one album. No particular order:
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    The Beatles - Abbey Road
    Fever Ray - Fever Ray
    Pulp - Different Class
    Portishead - Roseland NYC
    Asobi Seksu - Citrus
    Arcade Fire - Funeral
    Sigur Ros - ( )
    Emmy the Great - Virtue
    Prince - Purple Rain
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-05-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

1) The Beatles: Rubber Soul (US version)
    2) The Monkees: Headquarters
    3) Paul Revere & the Raiders: "Something Happening"
    4) R.E.M.: Live at the Shoreline (2CD bootleg)
    5) David Bowie: Aladdin Sane
    6) David Crosby & Graham Nash: Wind on the Water
    7) The Saints: (I'm) Stranded
    8) Harold Budd: White Arcades
    9) Motorhead: 1916
    10) King Crimson: Absent Lovers
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Captain Beefheart - Doc at the Radar Station

The last pick is strategic - if I can only listen to 10 albums for the rest of my life, I want one of them to be one that shows great promise but that I don't know very well, so that I can be discovering something new and keeping my brain sort of engaged.
    Hmm I haven't listen to a whole album post Magic Band. Captain Beefheart yet I'm more shocked that you might like Captain Beefheart.

Any ways

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
    Prince - The Hits 1
    Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner
    The Gun Club - Miami
    Pixies - Bossanova
    The Cramps - Songs The Lord Taught Us
    The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    The Verve - A Northern Soul
    David Bowie - A Reality Tour

if i could sneak a couple more in it might be The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Take It From The Man, Altas Sound - Logos, and Frank Zappa - Yellow Shark.

It is really hard for me to choose between London Calling and Sandinista yet I think if i was going listen over and over again to a Clash album London Calling would be it over my favorite out of the two, Sandinista.I just do not like those kid choir singing those few tracks.
    Last edited by getbetter; 01-05-2014 at 02:07 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

The final ten would be difficult for me to choose, but I know in any of these types of selections, Future Sound Of London - ISDN always has a place for me.

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
    Prince - The Hits 1
    The Gun Club - Miami
    Pixies - Bossanova
    The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
    you realize this is 11, right?

I'm more shocked
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

^ that sig of theklein has to be the unintentionally funniest post I've ever read on this message board.

you realize this is 11, right?
    fuck I'm not even drunk yet

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
    Prince - The Hits 1
    The Gun Club - Miami
    Pixies - Bossanova

Tom, I have never seen Casablanca? so I do not get your image that well.
    Last edited by getbetter; 01-05-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Translation

Last.fm

guedi.

ass long ass you didn't take out Bowie, Clash or Pixies. And what is taking you so long to get your drink on this fine Sunday afternoon?

Guedita and I always go farmer's market shopping on Sundays.

Bowie,Pixies, and the Clash are arteries of my music taste.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    guedi.
    Seriously what the hell does this mean.
    Last edited by getbetter; 01-05-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    Translation

Last.fm

say no more. no, really, SAY. NO. MORE.

Tom, I have never seen Casablanca? so I do not get your image that well.

Here are your winnings made me giggle....I guess the beer is working.
    Translation

Last.fm

No particular order of favorites, just my essentials:

The Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

Portishead - Live NYC

Pink Floyd - Animals

Clash - The Essential Clash (Tape 1)

Tycho - Dive

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom

Jimmy Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

NIN - The Fragile

Bob Marley - Legend

Wu Tang - Enter the 36 Chambers

I need variety, so I'd select different genres, different time periods, and level of sentimental value, but also level of fun/imagination. I have never been able to claim one subculture and the same goes for my taste in music. While I can probably pinpoint albums that turned me on to these artists, I like too many songs from each album to just pick one to listen to forever.

In no order:
    LCD Soundsystem- This is Happening
    Fleetwood Mac- Best of
    Madonna- Immaculate Collection
    Beastie Boys- The Anthology
    PJ Harvey- Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    The Clash- The Essential
    Led Zeppelin- Mothership
    INXS- Kick
    Groove Armada- Best of
    Soda Stereo- Me Vers Volver

'My island people are gonna dance and make out.'
    Last edited by djbionik; 01-07-2014 at 02:02 PM.