Thread: Weekend 1 or 2?

Question Weekend 1 or 2?

The last time I was at Coachella was '07.

So, anyone that has gone both weekends.... which one is better?

Default Re: Weekend 1 or 2?

I havent gone to both yet, but a couple friends of mine have. It really depends what you prefer.
    Weekend one you get all the surprises without someone ruining it, but there were technical issues last year like justice. Weekend two not too many new surprises but everything runs smoother. Also i heard the grass was dead for weekend two.

I went Weekend 2 and loved that I did. Sound was so much better and smoother than it was the prior year. Weekend 1 got all the technical kinks. Also, I checked out the live feed of a couple shows I didn't think I would make because of scheduling conflicts. Which was nice to know further in advance since we had the time schedule longer. Also, reading reviews from everyone weekend 1 helped me decide which shows to go to.
    I didn't notice a difference in grass quality. The only downside is not being able to say "first." However, I don't really care about stuff being a surprise or bragging rights, as long as I get to see it and make the most of it.
    I think the real downside to Weekend 2 last year was the weather. 107 on Saturday. Then again, it rained Weekend 1 and people were totally unprepared

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    Also, I checked out the live feed of a couple shows I didn't think I would make because of scheduling conflicts. Which was nice to know further in advance since we had the time schedule longer.
    This.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm leaning more towards weekend 2 at this point...

Regardless it is a pot luck. Kinks in the sound can happen at any time and usually weather will play a part. They had a few probs W1 due to the weather, mainly wind. But that weekend was much nicer for spectators.

I went Weekend 2 and loved that I did. Sound was so much better and smoother than it was the prior year. Weekend 1 got all the technical kinks. Also, I checked out the live feed of a couple shows I didn't think I would make because of scheduling conflicts. Which was nice to know further in advance since we had the time schedule longer. Also, reading reviews from everyone weekend 1 helped me decide which shows to go to.
    I didn't notice a difference in grass quality. The only downside is not being able to say "first." However, I don't really care about stuff being a surprise or bragging rights, as long as I get to see it and make the most of it.
    I think the real downside to Weekend 2 last year was the weather. 107 on Saturday. Then again, it rained Weekend 1 and people were totally unprepared
    Maybe on Thursday when camping was being set up but after that there was dust and dirt EVERYWHERE. The areas around the stages were the worst. I agree with the part about the sets running smoother and weekend 2 got an AWESOME Justice set but the thing I missed the absolute most was being able to just plop down in the grass and lay there if I so chose to. After Friday there was basically no grass left.
    Coachella '10, '11, '12 (w2), '13 (w1), '14 (w1) and hopefully every one after

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    Ray Charles

Quote Originally Posted by SeantheJeweler View Post
    Maybe on Thursday when camping was being set up but after that there was dust and dirt EVERYWHERE. The areas around the stages were the worst. I agree with the part about the sets running smoother and weekend 2 got an AWESOME Justice set but the thing I missed the absolute most was being able to just plop down in the grass and lay there if I so chose to. After Friday there was basically no grass left.
    I'll have to notice this time.

I remember the beer gardens having plenty of good grass on Sunday as we watched Santigold. *shrugs*

At this point, it comes down to whatever weekend you can get tickets for..... just grab em an go.

I had a blast at weekend 2 last year. As for surprises, you never really know, Thom Yorke came out to sing during Modeselektor's set last year on weekend 2 but not on weekend 1, so it's kind of a toss up.

I'll have to notice this time.

I remember the beer gardens having plenty of good grass on Sunday as we watched Santigold. *shrugs*
    Yeah I guess over in the low traffic areas, but the first weekend will have grass everywhere all the time. I love grass. That is all.

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    Ray Charles

Quote Originally Posted by grind View Post
    I had a blast at weekend 2 last year. As for surprises, you never really know, Thom Yorke came out to sing during Modeselektor's set last year on weekend 2 but not on weekend 1, so it's kind of a toss up.
    This was awesome!

Ray Charles

Quote Originally Posted by SeantheJeweler View Post
    This was awesome!
    Definitely blew me away. What an awesome way to close out the night!

Weekend 2 normally gonna be hotter......just the facts of the desert. One week in April makes a big difference in heat.

Weekend 1 last year was nice weather

Weekend 2 averaged around 106 - Hot
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

last year weekend 1 was unusually cold, and weekend 2 was usually hot. After weekend 2 last year, the temperature dropped a good 10 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    Weekend 2 normally gonna be hotter......just the facts of the desert. One week in April makes a big difference in heat.
    this based on one year and that fact that weekend two is a few days closer to summer? no. the difference of 5-7 days means very little other than it is long enough for the weather to change from the first weekend to the second. it could be hotter weekend 2, it could be cooler. to suggest months ahead that weekend 2 is hotter just because its 5-7 days later in the year is silly. the cool weekend 1 weather last year was a fluke anyway.

the grass was way drier weekend 2, this will always be the case unless the valley gets some crazy midweek rainstorm but even then i dont think its enough to bring it back from 3 days of 70k people stomping on it. as far as one time surprise guests, that will always be a crap shoot. weekend one gets any major repeat surprises first obviously (see: zomg hologram tupac) along with establishing the buzz sets. weekend 2 is alot of people trying to catch the buzz sets, repeat surprises and whatever looked good on the weekend 1 stream.

imo there is no better, which is why i go both
    Originally Posted by menikmati
    I'm locking this fucker.

The grass was my biggest flaw with weekend two, I love how u can just sit anywhere on the grounds and have nice grass. Sunday weekend 2 was a dust bowl.