Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Phoenix is headlining (with Daft Punk cameo) 2013

Default Re: Why Phoenix is headlining (with Daft Punk cameo) 2013

People in here are being unreasonable. It's totally plausible that an act that obviously turned down Phoenix's exact slot would come back, for free, to stand on stage for 15 minutes. Daft Punk has always been known for bending their plans to what fans want, even if it meant they'd steal all the press and spotlight from the biggest performance of their friends' lives. I can see it now, 1901/Around the World on the main stage is going to be EPIC!

Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Music is dead!! *farts*
    Please explain how this is funny? You ever wonder why Daft Punk hasn't released anything new? Because they have zero ideas on how to be innovative with all of the competition nowadays.

And to top it off, these fucking douches never even say ANYTHING to their fans. They are probably riding around in a Lamborghini (that you guys purchased) right now laughing at the fact that they may never perform yet you guys give them their full attention. Call Skrillex, deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia cheesy shit dance music all you want, at least they appreciate their fans and give them new material. So go masturbate listening to your Alive 07 CD that is mediocre AT BEST hoping for two grown men in robot suits to wave their hands and press play during Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    so with it already sold out, they're going to pay millions of dollars so daft punk can do a surprise headlining set?
    Daft Punk costs "millions of dollars"? I know you're exaggerating to prove a point, but, really, add up Daft Punk + 2013 headliners cost and it is nowhere near the cost of 2012's headliners (and surprise guests 50 Cent, Eminem, etc), or 2011, or 2010... you get the idea...

You have a wide vagina

U MAD?

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    Myxo dropping knowledge. Their album is going to be huge and their live show will be much bigger than it was when they headlined lolla in 2010.
    Anyone have any info on what Phoenix is up to, I know they're supposed to release their album in April. I haven't seen them live, I'm curious about really given them a good look.

Anyone have a favorite youtube video from one of their shows or just any thoughts on how they are live?

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    Daft Punk costs "millions of dollars"? I know you're exaggerating to prove a point, but, really, add up Daft Punk + 2013 headliners cost and it is nowhere near the cost of 2012's headliners (and surprise guests 50 Cent, Eminem, etc), or 2011, or 2010... you get the idea...
    They've (DP) been offered 5M+ according to someone on this board
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grind View Post
    Anyone have any info on what Phoenix is up to, I know they're supposed to release their album in April. I haven't seen them live, I'm curious about really given them a good look.

Anyone have a favorite youtube video from one of their shows or just any thoughts on how they are live?
    first type www.wearephoenix.com into your browser's search bar. DO NOT HIT ENTER.

close your eyes. NOW HIT ENTER
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

DP will be there. Bangalter will be dj'in unnanounced in the heinekin dome at 3pm on sunday just like DJ dan last year. you wont have heard about it because you don't know who Thomas or Dj Dan are. You heard it here first.

I heard Daft Punk will be checking vehicles this year.

Seriously shut the fuck up about Daft Punk this year, everyone.

This sounds like an original concept. Except for the fact that it is the same thing as 2011, when everybody seemed to think Daft Punk would play when Kanye rapped Stronger based on a similarly tenuous connection. It is not happening. You will enjoy the festival infinitely more if you just learn to accept what you have, which in this case, is an incredibly energetic and fun headliner who will probably rise to the occasion and play the show of their career. It will be fun, but fairly robot free.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    first type www.wearephoenix.com into your browser's search bar. DO NOT HIT ENTER.

close your eyes. NOW HIT ENTER
    Hahaha I already checked that out. Luckily I don't get seizures.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    I heard Daft Punk will be checking vehicles this year.
    lol

shut the funk up about Daft Punk....
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

http://www.thedaftclub.com/2013/01/3...o-emily-eavis/
    They might be doing other stuff but they're not playing (Glastonbaury.)
    This is pretty obvious evidence they are playing Coachella.
    U MAD?

I watched the video of DP's surprise appearance with Phoenix at MSG and thought it was kind of lame how each artist played on top of one another, it sounded a bit like a clusterfuck (it could have just been the audio). I admit it would have been really cool to see in person but if the same type of 15 minute cameo happend at Coachella I would think of it as just being one big cock tease. If DP ever appears at Coachella again I hope it is a full set or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    To be fair, Coachella sold out last year instantly, yet they still spent the millions or whatever it took to engineer that Tupac hologram. They could have just not had Tupac in there because it was already sold out (although I'm sure Dre and Snoop insisted/it was written in the contract) to save money. It's not out of the question for GV to throw some extra $ into an already sold out festival to make it more special and memorable for us.
    If they throw in more money, it wont be to to make it more memorable for you, but to bolster the image of the festival, thus insuring a quick sell out next year too.

How many people came home on that Tupac high saying "HOLY FUCK, WE NEED TO GET OUR TICKETS FOR NEXT YEAR NOOOOWWWWW"? Enough to sell out weekend one GA tickets during presale.

If they threw in Daft Punk this year, it'd be to sell out 2014 quicker, not because they think it would make your tiny little heart flutter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinaturntable5 View Post
    A girl with 5 dicks, duh

Quote Originally Posted by chbludevil View Post
    I watched the video of DP's surprise appearance with Phoenix at MSG and thought it was kind of lame how each artist played on top of one another, it sounded a bit like a clusterfuck (it could have just been the audio). I admit it would have been really cool to see in person but if the same type of 15 minute cameo happend at Coachella I would think of it as just being one big cock tease. If DP ever appears at Coachella again I hope it is a full set or GTFO.
    This so many times. If you actually care about seeing Daft Punk live then a Phoenix cameo is worse than them not showing up. What good does it do you as a fan of Daft Punk to see them play mashups of 1901 and Listzomania? Would that really scratch your Daft Punk itch? If it does you probably also like levels and should just kill yourself now. The notion that they said no to a multi million dollar payday but are still going to guest for Phoenix is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanRobot74x View Post
    People in here are being unreasonable. It's totally plausible that an act that obviously turned down Phoenix's exact slot would come back, for free, to stand on stage for 15 minutes. Daft Punk has always been known for bending their plans to what fans want, even if it meant they'd steal all the press and spotlight from the biggest performance of their friends' lives. I can see it now, 1901/Around the World on the main stage is going to be EPIC!
    ^^This. How unfair would it be to be Phoenix, get picked to headline, and then totally be upstaged.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachellaVet09 View Post
    If they throw in more money, it wont be to to make it more memorable for you, but to bolster the image of the festival, thus insuring a quick sell out next year too.

How many people came home on that Tupac high saying "HOLY FUCK, WE NEED TO GET OUR TICKETS FOR NEXT YEAR NOOOOWWWWW"? Enough to sell out weekend one GA tickets during presale.

If they threw in Daft Punk this year, it'd be to sell out 2014 quicker, not because they think it would make your tiny little heart flutter
    I would think that Coachella is not really worried about selling tickets, they still sold it out this year even with the "weaker" lineup. I think the pre-sale moves a little slower for 2014, but still sells out after the lineup comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by HumanRobot74x View Post
    This so many times. If you actually care about seeing Daft Punk live then a Phoenix cameo is worse than them not showing up. What good does it do you as a fan of Daft Punk to see them play mashups of 1901 and Listzomania? Would that really scratch your Daft Punk itch? If it does you probably also like levels and should just kill yourself now. The notion that they said no to a multi million dollar payday but are still going to guest for Phoenix is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
    I agree. I was there in the damn middle towards the front in 2006. I have compared so many shows to that since then. But it will never be the same, and unless they get to come back as proper headliners, they shouldn't show up this year.

This felt like a cliché before anybody even mentioned it. Hope they don't come out. Phoenix doesn't need them to put on a great set.
    Austin City Limits 2005
    Coachella 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)
    Lollapalooza 2012

Since no one has brought this up in the multiple Daft Punk/Phoenix threads, I figured I should point out the reason they showed up at MSG and the reason they may show up at coach.

In 1992 Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo, Thomas Bangalter, and Phoenix member Laurent Brancowitz recorded a song under the name Darlin', which found its way onto a compilation single issued on Stereolab's Duophonic label. A review in the UK's Melody Maker described their effort as 'a bunch of daft punks' which is where Daft Punk's name came from.

Maybe everyone on these boards knows this and just never said it, but I thought I might as well put it in this thread for the uninformed.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I like Phoenix a lot, but Saturday is so stacked that I will probably pick Grizzly Bear or Sigur Ros over them I'm afraid.
    I feel the same way. I'd have to see the xx over them as well. The conflicts that day are going to be a nightmare.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    We've found it. We've found the worst post on the internet.

The reason this isn't going to happen is that, if you watch the video of them "jamming" together at MSG closely, you realize it sucks. I talked to Guy and Thomas and they agree.
    Last edited by themule; 02-04-2013 at 02:27 AM.

You're defending something that isn't there, you DO realize that right? You're basing your opinion of some robots who "performed" 7 years ago. How do you even know if they will EVER perform again? Their magic is done, there really isn't anything they could possibly create that could have the same magic as their first albums. It's been so overdone now and music has advanced so much that it will just be white noise... sorry to break it to you! Sure they had their moment but it's over... move on!

they signed to a new label, and that label is gonna try to squeeze as much money as they can, so theyll perform.

You're defending something that isn't there, you DO realize that right? You're basing your opinion of some robots who "performed" 7 years ago. How do you even know if they will EVER perform again? Their magic is done, there really isn't anything they could possibly create that could have the same magic as their first albums. It's been so overdone now and music has advanced so much that it will just be white noise... sorry to break it to you! Sure they had their moment but it's over... move on!
    wow!!!!! i've said some stupid shit...but this is really really stupid. you obviously don't understand music, musicians, or the fact that Daft Punk is way way waaaaaaaaaaaay more than a fad. I can see how it could seem easy to lump them together with a ton of other artists....but really dude, this is so wrong its insane. They aren't robots first of all..and they are working with some of the greatest studio musicians/producers ever (see: Nathan East, Nile Rodgers, Giorgio Moroder, Paul Williams, hint: they know more about music than you do).....its not by chance, I assure you. People who understand music understand this....

i'm a cunt, but even I know that saying something like "there really isn't anything they could possibly create that could have the same magic as their first albums" is really really dumb. I wont call you any names or anything, but you really need to check your self...or admit that you know nothing about music...or that you were drunk when you wrote this (which i always am when i troll these boards...)
    Last edited by themule; 02-04-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by themule View Post
    wow!!!!! i've said some stupid shit...but this is really really stupid. you obviously don't understand music, musicians, or the fact that Daft Punk is way way waaaaaaaaaaaay more than a fad. I can see how it could seem easy to lump them together with a ton of other artists....but really dude, this is so wrong its insane. They aren't robots first of all..and they are working with some of the greatest studio musicians/producers ever (see: Nathan East, Nile Rodgers, Giorgio Moroder, Paul Williams, hint: they know more about music than you do).....its not by chance, I assure you. People who understand music understand this....

i'm a cunt, but even I know that saying something like "there really isn't anything they could possibly create that could have the same magic as their first albums" is really really dumb. I wont call you any names or anything, but you really need to check your self...or admit that you know nothing about music...or that you were drunk when you wrote this (which i always am when i troll these boards...)
    Successful troll was successful.

Actually, I agree with this:
    Call Skrillex, deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia cheesy shit dance music all you want, at least they appreciate their fans and give them new material.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

Fuck that noise. You're not entitled to a new album or a live performance.

New album in marchNe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    eh, youre the one in a public place reading a music festival forum thread about ganja. Expect some titties.

The #1 point against DP showing up with Phoenix is that IT HAS HAPPENED ALREADY. Not that there isn't enough time in the night, or that it would cost too much money. It has happened before. Phoenix seems to be at the level Black Keys were at in 2011 (the year they weren't headlining) One album away from being a really really great headliner. I am actually more surprised they aren't the first night. Flip them with the stone roses and it's like black keys => Radiohead (new => old). Don't get me wrong I would blow a load to see Daft Punk, but I think Phoenix will be alone and deservingly so.

DP just signed with Sony right? Is Phoenix with them? Is there really anything giving this rumor cred other then that it has happened before?

Please explain how this is funny? You ever wonder why Daft Punk hasn't released anything new? Because they have zero ideas on how to be innovative with all of the competition nowadays.

And to top it off, these fucking douches never even say ANYTHING to their fans. They are probably riding around in a Lamborghini (that you guys purchased) right now laughing at the fact that they may never perform yet you guys give them their full attention. Call Skrillex, deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia cheesy shit dance music all you want, at least they appreciate their fans and give them new material. So go masturbate listening to your Alive 07 CD that is mediocre AT BEST hoping for two grown men in robot suits to wave their hands and press play during Phoenix.
    lol dude, sorry for missing this gem. you are amaizng!!! you just made my top 10 biggest dip-shits of the coachella orgy-boards list. High five!!! wooo! (btw, i'm #1, in case #'s 2-9 felt like pointing it out for the thousandth time)