View Poll Results: What do you think of the Aqua Bats?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pleasingly and humorously eccentric

6 30.00%
  • just another "novelty band"

3 15.00%
  • annoying

5 25.00%
  • pool party baby, it was a cool party. cool pool party lalalala

6 30.00%

Thread: Aqua Bats

Default Aqua Bats

What do you think of em?

Default Re: Aqua Bats

Terrible.

they were the first concert i've ever been to. At the Glasshouse. They put on a fun show. pretty crazy fans. Probably wouldn't see em again though.

a couple of them are good friends of mine, seriously some of the nicest guys around. good, clean, fun music...great for young kids and their parents to enjoy together.

every mormon i know listens to them...

Member John Peel is My Co-pilot's Avatar

I won't comment until I know the official Dave Wang position.
    A teenage dream, so hard to beat...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    Yep. A group of Mormons at my high school started a band called Caffeine Free. Totally ripping off the Aquabats. Just as lame. I can see why people think it is fun though.

Soooooooooooo good.
    Such a great band! They put on one of the most entertaining live shows I have ever seen! A giant evil space lobster came down from space to ruin the show because he hates music and fun! But being the Super heroes they are, the lead singer and keyboardist/saxaphone player had an epic battle and banished the giant evil space lobster! They then proceded to play Pool Party.
    I was gonna choose that option... but only Aquabat fans would get it.
    I think they would actually be an excellent add to Coachella. They play all types of music and are very fun to dance/skank/mosh too. They are one of those bands whether you like thier music or not, you cant help but get into thier live act.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Soooooooooooo good.
    Such a great band! They put on one of the most entertaining live shows I have ever seen! A giant evil space lobster came down from space to ruin the show because he hates music and fun! But being the Super heroes they are, the lead singer and keyboardist/saxaphone player had an epic battle and banished the giant evil space lobster! They then proceded to play Pool Party.
    I was gonna choose that option... but only Aquabat fans would get it.
    I think they would actually be an excellent add to Coachella. They play all types of music and are very fun to dance/skank/mosh too. They are one of those bands whether you like thier music or not, you cant help but get into thier live act.
    That is cool when you are nine.

I really liked Five Iron Frenzy in my 7th grade ska phase because I thought they were funny. They aren't, in retrospect.

vinylmartyr

The Aquabats were on Goldenvoice records. Goldenvoice records is no more though.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    That is cool when you are nine.

I really liked Five Iron Frenzy in my 7th grade ska phase because I thought they were funny. They aren't, in retrospect.
    First off, The Aquabats arent ska. They have some ska songs, but dont classify them as a ska band.
    And thats cool if you dont like them. I dont care. But dont call me a 9 year old for liking it.
    It was just an extremely fun show. And they were opening up for Rancid! And it was great. You could see who was there for Rancid and who was there for the Aquabats. Yet everyone was still having a good time with each other. And trust me, I garuntee you there wasnt a single 9 year old in the Venue.

As for the Goldenvoice records thing, that is so cool they were on it! It's too bad that no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    First off, The Aquabats arent ska. They have some ska songs, but dont classify them as a ska band.
    And thats cool if you dont like them. I dont care. But dont call me a 9 year old for liking it.
    It was just an extremely fun show. And they were opening up for Rancid! And it was great. You could see who was there for Rancid and who was there for the Aquabats. Yet everyone was still having a good time with each other. And trust me, I garuntee you there wasnt a single 9 year old in the Venue.

As for the Goldenvoice records thing, that is so cool they were on it! It's too bad that no longer exists.
    I meant the humor was on that level, not that you were. And I never said they were a ska band. They were just lumped into that phase of my life because of the "ska songs" you spoke of.

Its tough to imagine Travis Barker was in this band before he got into Blink. Fun band to watch for sure. They played the Tomorrowland stage at like 2am when I went to Grad Night back in 1998, I was all dressed up skanking in the pit, kids were tripping out.

theyre all a couple of jokers.

I liked when they had picketers. I forget what the picketers were dressed like but it was funny.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    I liked when they had picketers. I forget what the picketers were dressed like but it was funny.

the sandfleas? i believe that was usually who it was, not that i was invloved or anything

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Its tough to imagine Travis Barker was in this band before he got into Blink. Fun band to watch for sure. They played the Tomorrowland stage at like 2am when I went to Grad Night back in 1998, I was all dressed up skanking in the pit, kids were tripping out.
    i was there with them hanging out for one of the shows. it was tough getting there at sunset and leaving at sunrise the next morning. one of those nights was actually travis barker's last show with the aquabats. the next night after he left he was playing some girl's bday party in utah for $5,000 cash, while tom and mark got $7000 each. wonder why he joined blink, hmmm???

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    The Aquabats were on Goldenvoice records. Goldenvoice records is no more though.
    triple post...

guess what caused the end of goldenvoice records? the first coachella! nearly shut goldenvoice down completely, if i remeber correctly.

Dude, the Aquabats played at Disneyland for my High School Grad-Nite in 1999... I don't know if that means it was an awesome grad nite (it wasn't) or if the Aquabats are just waaay past whatever "prime" they may have had.

They're entertaining in that sort of monkey-dressed-in-a-business-suit sort of way.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.

hahaha!
    the lead singer is my best friend(who is mormon)'s cousin. one time, like in '99, they played at palookaville in santa cruz. all the kids at the show were wearing bat masks...it was funny. then the band came over and took showers at our house afterward. they were really nice.

I never look through my grade school yearbooks without listening to some aquabats. The thing that makes them fun is their unshamedly grade/middle schooler themes, topics, etc despite their age. What sounds lame now was totally cool back then, when you didnt need booz to make a party fun, just chips n' dip and a pool. Back when Pizza Day was your favorite day of the week. Their songs remind me of a simpler, less stresful time. Their songs will always hold a special place in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post
    This is true. I had so many mormon friends in high school that loved aqua bats. They still play here often.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I meant the humor was on that level, not that you were. And I never said they were a ska band. They were just lumped into that phase of my life because of the "ska songs" you spoke of.
    At first I was gonna say I agree with this. Then I thought about it. I completely disagree with you. Thier humour is ageless. Anyone of any age could find humour in thier lyrics. That Rancid show with the Aquabats show was awesome because you saw comic geek type people dancing/moshin and skanking with the Rancid punks with mohawks and shit! There were people in spandex Aquabats shirts grabbing arms, swining back and fourth with people wearing studed jean vests. It was such a nice thing to see. Everyone had smiles on thier faces and everyone was thuroughly entertained. There werent even any assholes trying to ruin. As rediculous as thier music is, you cant help but respect it. You may not like it (anymore), but you have to give them props to what they have managed to do. Also, I suggest everyone goes and sees an Aquabats show. It will be one of the most fun shows you have ever been too.

Quote Originally Posted by PineapplePete View Post
    I never look through my grade school yearbooks without listening to some aquabats. The thing that makes them fun is their unshamedly grade/middle schooler themes, topics, etc despite their age. What sounds lame now was totally cool back then, when you didnt need booz to make a party fun, just chips n' dip and a pool. Back when Pizza Day was your favorite day of the week. Their songs remind me of a simpler, less stresful time. Their songs will always hold a special place in my heart.
    You on the other hand... I couldnt agree with you more! Actually, every single thing you just said is what I was thinking of saying. High five!

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

their first two albums were great!

then they became too "kiddie". also, their shows aren't as fun as they used to be. they confiscate your marshmallows at the door and no one dresses up anymore!

still, they were one of my favourites in high school! CD REPO MAN OWNS!!!!!!!!

RIP 79 CENT CHURRON MAN!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    their first two albums were great!

then they became too "kiddie". also, their shows aren't as fun as they used to be. they confiscate your marshmallows at the door and no one dresses up anymore!

still, they were one of my favourites in high school! CD REPO MAN OWNS!!!!!!!!

RIP 79 CENT CHURRON MAN!!!!!
    THEY dont confiscate marshmellows. The venue does. It's not their fault the venues have rules.
    Also, I dont know which shows you have been to, but the one I went to a couple months ago he a great number of people dressed up for the show.
    I will admit, Charge! was a bit a dissapointment. Not that is was bad, but they had NO brass section. They did that though because they wanted to let people know that are NOT a ska band. They WILL have horns on thier next album though. I am excited.