Thread: Buying tickets from Ebay?

Default Buying tickets from Ebay?

Hey so I'm in need of some GA tickets for the first weekend.. I can't make it to the second weekend so I'm trying to look for different ways I can get tickets for the 1st weekend.. do you think buying from Ebay would be safe?

Default Re: Buying tickets from Ebay?

Buy a GA/Shuttle Pass or GA/Car Camp combo on Tuesday.

And no, eBay is not safe. I would say that the forums here are a lot safer than getting your ticket blacklisted from stubhub.

Oh seriously? Damn.. So I absolutely shouldn't buy tickets from eBay? Is there a reason why?

Try it - if it doesn't work out, you know not to do it in future.

This works with all questions you may have going forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

I have personally bought tickets from eBay in the past and have been ok - but there is definitely a risk and its not the safest way of buying second hand tickets.

I'd recommend Craigslist over eBay - meeting the seller in person is better imo.

You should try to buy your tickets on Tuesday first and then pursue other avenues if you're not successful.

Stubhub and a guarantee and will get you new working tickets if yours happen to be fake. Use stubhub or this board.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    June
    5 - tUnE-yArDs - Fonda
    10 - Jack White - Fonda
    11 - Jack White - Mayan
    13 - War On Drugs - 50 Kent
    14 - Beirut - 50 Kent
    15 - CHVRCHES - McCarren
    16 - Phantogram - T5
    17 - 19 - The National - Prospect
    20 - Little Dragon - T5
    21 - Bill Maher - Capitol
    22 - Dave Chapelle - Radio City
    24 - Dave Chapelle & The Roots - Radio City
    26 - Warpaint - Prospect
    30 - Beck - Hammerstein

I've bought and sold Coachella passes on eBay with no problem. Pay-Pal offers buyer protection and is good with getting your money back, but it's a pretty drawn-out process and won't help you get a ticket if you get burned. And so you know, StubHub IS ebay, and they charge 25% commission for every sale (10% from buyer, 15% from seller). If you can't get general on-sale tix, though, wait until the fest gets closer as prices will drop to just above face value. It happens every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    I've bought and sold Coachella passes on eBay with no problem. Pay-Pal offers buyer protection and is good with getting your money back, but it's a pretty drawn-out process and won't help you get a ticket if you get burned. And so you know, StubHub IS ebay, and they charge 25% commission for every sale (10% from buyer, 15% from seller). If you can't get general on-sale tix, though, wait until the fest gets closer as prices will drop to just above face value. It happens every year.
    This. I got my wristband on ebay in 2010. No problems. When they scanned the wristband going into the show, it read the name of the original buyer, but no one cared (I forget her name now, but I obviously wasn't her). It's worth a try.

I've both bought and sold Coachella tickets and tix for numerous other events on eBay/Stubhub with no problem. Paypal protects your purchase in terms of getting your money back if the ticket/wristband is fake. Just be smart, buy from someone who's profile looks legitimate (e.g. lots of feedback, not from outside the US or Florida, etc). Stubhub, owned by eBay, I think actually replaces your tix with real ones if they are found to be fake.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Quote Originally Posted by woca_ View Post

I'd recommend Craigslist over eBay - meeting the seller in person is better imo.

I wouldn't recommend Craigslist. You give them money and they give you bad wristbands, how do you even begin to get your money back? ebay and Stubhub at least give you some layer of protection and your credit card would provide another layer.

Generally, meeting strangers with $700 in your pocket is not a good idea.

avoid craigslist entirely. definitely the worst way. stubhub is the best, followed closely by ebay. as long as the seller has a very high ranking and lots of feedback, they are fine.

Craigslist is okay when you are meeting someone to buy a $40 face value ticket at the venue. Even then you have to deal with wasted trips etc.

ebay no problem....just check to see if the buyer has a + review from past sales.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    ebay no problem....just check to see if the buyer has a + review from past sales.

Recent sales/feedback is also preferable. If the feedback is over a year old and/or most recent feedback is for $1 items be suspicious.

Didn't GV retract tickets from stubhub last year and void them?

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    I've both bought and sold Coachella tickets and tix for numerous other events on eBay/Stubhub with no problem. Paypal protects your purchase in terms of getting your money back if the ticket/wristband is fake. Just be smart, buy from someone who's profile looks legitimate (e.g. lots of feedback, not from outside the US or Florida, etc). Stubhub, owned by eBay, I think actually replaces your tix with real ones if they are found to be fake.
    Also, communicate with the seller. I got my wristbands from people who had planned on going to the festival, and not just people who were trying to make money (they were trying to make their money back, at that point). Craigslist had people going around selling fake wristbands at that time. A bunch of people got taken on that. Ebay will at least give you your money back, though they're 2 for 2 with wristband purchases that came through for me. The only thing is the wait. You have to wait for everyone else to get their box, then to reship it unless the seller automatically has it rerouted (which they should, but don't always do).

Quote Originally Posted by gam3g3ni3 View Post
    Didn't GV retract tickets from stubhub last year and void them?
    No. Even if they wanted to, there is no way to achieve that.
    Stubhub purchases are shipped straight from the seller to the buyer, so Stubhub/GV would have no way of knowing the serial number of the wristbands.
    Plus even if GV wanted to know, Stubhub would never give up the information.
    And the only way to find out the serial number would be to open up the package, and Stubhub also does not do that.

The fact of the matter is that scalping exists, and many people hate it. However, in my opinion, it is better than the alternative.
    Look at Glastonbury for example. If you don't manage to get tickets (i've heard it's about a 15% success rate), you can't buy them elsewhere.
    Sure, sometimes scalpers sell tickets for more than they paid, but that's capitalism at work. If there is no demand, they will drop their prices and lose money.
    I'd rather have the option to purchase a ticket at a higher than face-value price than have no ability to buy tickets if I miss out when they first go on sale.
    Last edited by ameeps; 01-28-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    June
    5 - tUnE-yArDs - Fonda
    10 - Jack White - Fonda
    11 - Jack White - Mayan
    13 - War On Drugs - 50 Kent
    14 - Beirut - 50 Kent
    15 - CHVRCHES - McCarren
    16 - Phantogram - T5
    17 - 19 - The National - Prospect
    20 - Little Dragon - T5
    21 - Bill Maher - Capitol
    22 - Dave Chapelle - Radio City
    24 - Dave Chapelle & The Roots - Radio City
    26 - Warpaint - Prospect
    30 - Beck - Hammerstein

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    No. Even if they wanted to, there is no way to achieve that.
    Stubhub purchases are shipped straight from the seller to the buyer, so Stubhub/GV would have no way of knowing the serial number of the wristbands.
    Plus even if GV wanted to know, Stubhub would never give up the information.
    And the only way to find out the serial number would be to open up the package, and Stubhub also does not do that.

The fact of the matter is that scalping exists, and many people hate it. However, in my opinion, it is better than the alternative.
    Look at Glastonbury for example. If you don't manage to get tickets (i've heard it's about a 15% success rate), you can't buy them elsewhere.
    Sure, sometimes scalpers sell tickets for more than they paid, but that's capitalism at work. If there is no demand, they will drop their prices and lose money.
    I'd rather have the option to purchase a ticket at a higher than face-value price than have no ability to buy tickets if I miss out when they first go on sale.
    Talkin' Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post

Buyer protection is not valid on event tickets.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...UAeBay-outside

Items purchased off eBay:

Items are eligible unless they are excluded below:

Real estate, motor vehicles, capital equipment, travel tickets, and events tickets
    Intangible items
    Services
    Items purchased using PayPal Payments Pro or Virtual Terminal
    You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment

Sounds like StudHub maybe the way forward.

Good to know. I had no idea PP didn't cover event tix with its buyer protection plan. You can always file a chargeback, where you call your credit card company and dispute the charges. which unless you are using Capital One, your bank will likely side with you on without too much hassle. I use an AMEX Platinum card for all my online purchases. Whatever the fee is (I think $300/yr) it's worth it because their chargeback protection is bulletproof.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

I went in '11 with Ebay tix with no problem at all. I was pretty stressed out, though, until I walked through the ticket beeper on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    I went in '11 with Ebay tix with no problem at all. I was pretty stressed out, though, until I walked through the ticket beeper on Friday.
    Same here. I was less worried when my wristband came in the original box, and still had the rubber band on it, but still felt like I could have gotten fucked. Everything turned out well.

Quote Originally Posted by woca_ View Post
    Buyer protection is not valid on event tickets.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...UAeBay-outside

Items purchased off eBay:

Items are eligible unless they are excluded below:

Real estate, motor vehicles, capital equipment, travel tickets, and events tickets
    Intangible items
    Services
    Items purchased using PayPal Payments Pro or Virtual Terminal
    You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment

Sounds like StudHub maybe the way forward.
    This may be true, but it's unrealistic. Everyone would be getting ripped off on ebay when buying Coachella passes, and, as of yet, I've heard of NO ONE getting ripped off buying their passes on ebay. You're either wrong, or you're wrong.