Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Early Set Time Predictions 2013

Default Re: Early Set Time Predictions 2013

I kinda doubt that TDCC and Franz Ferdinand will conflict. They're somewhat similar, and one being from Scotland and the other from Ireland they both kinda fit the brit rock scene.

Quote Originally Posted by autopsy turvey View Post
    And here's Saturday:

Attachment 9189

Quick lurker question: how do I post the image in a larger format?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpie View Post
    Anyone else think the Faint have a chance of closing the mojave? Presets and Modeselektor were both 4th liners
    I hope The Faint conflicts with RHCP. I'd like my favorite band to be my last of the festival. Plus, anyone who has seen the faint before know just how amazing their shows are.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkQP1...layer_embedded

Really think that Dead Can Dance will be closing the Mojave

And here's Saturday:

Attachment 9189

Quick lurker question: how do I post the image in a larger format?
    great job putting these together, looks legit, although I noticed you spelled Huoratron incorrectly.
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Another thing to start figuring out is who will have short set times. Last year, there were a lot of 30 minute sets early in the day. The Neighbourhood (5 songs on Spotify) and Wild Belle (3 songs) seem like good guesses for those slots.

And The Stone Roses moved back to the first spot on Friday
    Maybe we just each band an 80 minute set?

Now I understand how you guys felt looking at some of my predictions thinking "wow that's a silly place/time to put _____"

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1),12(2),13(1),13(2)
    Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

Lemme help out with the dance acts. I think the new tent will be more deep/tech house oriented and there will be longer sets.

Sahara Friday
    Bassnectar
    Dog Blood
    Infected Mushroom
    Wolfgang Gartner
    Nicky Romero
    Modestep
    Tommy Trash
    Thomas Gold
    Dillon Francis
    Sam XL Pure Filth Sound

New Tent Friday
    Luciano
    Seth Troxler
    Four Tet
    DJ Harvey
    Jamie xx

Neither Friday
    TNGHT
    C2C
    Beardyman

Sahara Saturday
    Knife Party
    Benny Benassi
    Major Lazer
    Fedde Le Grand
    Bingo Players
    Kill the Noise
    Baauer
    Zane Lowe
    Birdy Nam Nam
    Huoratron

New Tent Saturday
    Moby
    Richie Hawtin
    Booka Shade
    Jason Bentley
    Cassy

Neither Saturday
    Simian Mobile Disco (maybe new tent, but I don't think so)
    The 2 Bears (ditto with SMD)

Sahara Sunday
    Eric Prydz
    Excision
    Hardwell
    Paul Oakenfold
    Mimosa
    Dirtyphonics
    Danny Avila
    Mord Fustang
    Unicorn Kid
    Adrian Lux

New Tent Sunday
    Paul Kalkbrenner
    Loco Dice
    Jamie Jones
    Parov Stelar
    Julio Bashmore
    Maya Jane Coles
    Joris Voorn

Neither Sunday
    Pretty Lights
    Roni Size
    Disclosure (live set, so in another tent)
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    1) In the past two years of set time threads, we have a tendency to throw the dancey/indie acts on the outdoor, when they end up in the Mojave instead. Cut Copy/Robyn in the 2011 thread, M83 in the 2012 thread, etc. Based on that pattern, I feel like Two Door Cinema Club might end up in the Mojave at night. They seem like the smallest draw of those four anyway, so they'll definitely fit, and Mojave would work for their billing too.

2) Despite their billing, I get the feeling Passion Pit will have an absurdly huge crowd. Is there anyway to put them on the main around the Arctic Monkeys timeslot? Do they need to play at night? Never seen their show. I mean, Chromeo had people dancing all the way back to the Gobi, and Passion Pit seems way bigger...they have a show at Madison Square Garden this year. Maybe I am overestimating how big of a draw they are.
    I completely agree with you about the indie, dancey acts being in the Mojave... in fact after seeing Ratatat, Cut Copy, the Rapture, and M83 all in there, I almost wish anything in this genre would play after dark in the tent. Prolly why my stab at the top 5 on each stage included Passion Pit, Metric, Two Door, Simian Mobile, La Roux, etc in the Mojave.

I have also been struggling to place PP in the appropriate spot. Playing Outdoor at 7pm in 2010 would say to me that they get to play later this year, but the same billing as '10 indicates otherwise. I think it would be crappy for them to play earlier in the day on Main, and feel like there would be enough going on for them to play a later Mojave slot with a comfortable crowd (especially with the bigger tents from last year). If they did play Main, they'd have to go on before YYY's and I think Band of Horses make a better sunset band. I think its a big dig to Modest Mouse, Lou Reed, Jurassic 5, etc. to have to play BEFORE PP on the bigger stages as well. I like Boourns suggestion Metric>PP on Outdoor, but just don't see that happening with all the names above them.
    COACHELLA '06, '10, '11, '12, '13 Outkast - The Knife - Broken Bells - Bonobo - Jagwar Ma - MGMT - Warpaint - Washed Out - Darkside - Blood Orange - Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Chance the Rapper - STRFKR

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    Lemme help out with the dance acts. I think the new tent will be more deep/tech house oriented and there will be longer sets.
    Neither Sunday
    Pretty Lights
    Roni Size
    Disclosure (live set, so in another tent)
    Thank you so much for putting this list together, I too will admit my ignorance of this genre, so this really helps me learn!

My question is, where does Pretty Lights go if he doesn't play Sahara? Close Mojave? Against Prydz and Kalkbrenner? Sounds like blasphemy!

And a question to the forum... What kind of set up is this new stage/tent going to be? If it's just the dome, then I would think all the less "popular" acts play there like in 2011. My theory is that they move the ferris wheel back to the food court and move the boundary of the beer garden by Main a little to the north and put the new one back in that corner, but is that area big enough to support Moby or Richie Hawtin? Is there any area on the grounds that would support a larger crowd than the dome?

I think Pretty Lights will definitely be in the Sahara, the one I'm questionable on is Major Lazer, considering they played the Mojave the last time around. EDM DJs played Pon De Floor a lot, but their first album at least is essentially dancehall for white dudes, and not really electronic at all.

As for Passion Pit in the Mojave, they are definitely billed for it, but I think they are a stealth gigantic band...I have no idea why because I never hear them on the radio, but they were apparently the fourth most requested band at Lolla the last year they played on their version of Coachooser (somebody from the Lollaboards, can you confirm?) and they are playing huge venues this tour. MSG, etc. No idea if they'll sell it out or not, but can't see M83/Cut Copy/Robyn/The Rapture booking such big venues.

Since Clumsy is taking the year off and this thread is the only thing that keeps me sane during the last few months leading into April, I decided to contribute. I took Boourns’ set time predictions from today and made a Photoshop template for this year’s thread. I can start the new thread and make updates as they are suggested, or I can get the files to someone else with the alacrity to run with it. Let me know!

Here's Friday:

Attachment 9188
    Good job on the template!

Made some changes to the clashfinder
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

What about Pretty Lights for the Girl Talk 2012 slot on the outdoor? Both fall into the category of being a big name dance act but don't just play striaght "untz".
    I haven't given a ton of thought to the slotting of the Outdoor and Main for Sunday, but its not exactly the most top heavy day. Especially since it seems to be consensus that the Outdoor won't be shutdown for the RHCP, it sort of makes sense to have a dance act there as the last or second to last act.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Just a nitpicky point on the dance tents. Loco Dice wouldn't open and he's new tent all the way. Id flip him with Birdy Nam Nam.

Those look real good so far, nice job. Saturday is heartbreaking, but I'd be able to do 2 Bears --> Femmes --> Grizzly --> either Simian/Postal Service --> New Order --> Yeasayer --> Phoenix, which is far better than expected.

Main: Franz 5:30PM-6:15PM > The Postal Service 6:55PM-7:45PM > The XX 8:05PM-9:00PM > Phoenix 9:30PM-11PM > Sigur Ros 11:30PM-END

This idea popped into my head today and gave me a boner. Kind of like treating Sigur Ros as an "EDM closer after the headliner omgggggg" but with good music!

Upcoming shows
    Neutral Milk Hotel 4/9, The Knife 4/15, The Dandy Warhols 4/23, First Aid Kit 5/26, Parquet Courts 5/27, The Faint 6/1, Lady Gaga 6/3, Robyn/Röyksopp 6/29, Sharon Van Etten 6/29, Deafheaven 7/2, Cloud Nothings 7/7
    Events
    Knifechella 4/11-13&18-20, SDCC 7/24-27, Outside Kanye West Lands 8/8, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015

That's way too early for The Postal Service to play and I think you just need to face the reality that Sigur Ros will not be playing on the main stage.

Time to wake up and face the Hopelandic music, xanman.

Looks really good and I think Saturday night is about as good as it will get with all the crazy conflicts. On Friday at this point I say we just give Blur and The Stone Roses 80 minutes since GV keeps on switching their placement on the poster.

I don't understand why with all the electronic acts on the lineup that we don't have the Sahara starting until 2 each day. I know that there are always early DJs in the Sahara that aren't on the official lineup but they certainly don't play until 2 everyday. We also have acts that are buried deep in the lineup like Huoratron and Kill the Noise getting 4-6 PM sets in the Sahara while names billed much higher like Luciano and Richie playing on this new stage. Personally I think it will be pretty weak if Richie or Booka Shade or Moby gets stuck on a stage similar in size to the dome in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    That's way too early for The Postal Service to play
    It would be sunset for half and dark for the other half

Upcoming shows
    Events

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I don't understand why with all the electronic acts on the lineup that we don't have the Sahara starting until 2 each day. I know that there are always early DJs in the Sahara that aren't on the official lineup but they certainly don't play until 2 everyday. We also have acts that are buried deep in the lineup like Huoratron and Kill the Noise getting 4-6 PM sets in the Sahara while names billed much higher like Luciano and Richie playing on this new stage. Personally I think it will be pretty weak if Richie or Booka Shade or Moby gets stuck on a stage similar in size to the dome in 2011.
    Everyone here is operating under the assumption its a brand new tent and will be at least comparable to the Gobi in size. And it makes much more logistical sense to break it up by genre as opposed to billing. Wouldn't you rather see Moby or Booka on a smaller stage surrounded by other fans who love that music instead of the Sahara surrounded by e-tards yelling, "Wheres Knife Party!"? Booking doesn't always equate to set time and everyone would be much happier if they separated the two types. Plus it's January and this is the first pass at placing acts in time slots, I don't think worrying about filling the 12-2 slot in the Sahara should change our whole approach to guessing the times.

Thanks! I took Clumsy's template, Boorns' set times, and crossbred them with the new poster design. I will try to keep up with the consensus on changes.

Separate but mostly equal?
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Quote Originally Posted by HumanRobot74x View Post
    Everyone here is operating under the assumption its a brand new tent and will be at least comparable to the Gobi in size. And it makes much more logistical sense to break it up by genre as opposed to billing. Wouldn't you rather see Moby or Booka on a smaller stage surrounded by other fans who love that music instead of the Sahara surrounded by e-tards yelling, "Wheres Knife Party!"? Booking doesn't always equate to set time and everyone would be much happier if they separated the two types. Plus it's January and this is the first pass at placing acts in time slots, I don't think worrying about filling the 12-2 slot in the Sahara should change our whole approach to guessing the times.
    If the new tent is really as big as the Gobi than that is one thing, but if it is more comparable to the dome in 2011 than I just don't see a lot of the acts we have billed to play on the new stage actually playing it. Moby or Richie aren't going to be spinning on a tiny stage shoved next to the food court.

Hopefully it really is a new, full sized tent

Is Coachella really going to make people choose between seeing Phoenix and Sigur Ros. I'm pretty sure most people who want to catch Phoenix will want to see Sigur Ros. I get the whole "Sigur Ros will have to play the Outdoor Theatre" crap, but can't it just be an exception and go Grizzly Bear > Postal Service > the XX > Phoenix > Sigur Ros.......This would be the greatest night of music ever.

Quote Originally Posted by themonstermash View Post
    Is Coachella really going to make people choose between seeing Phoenix and Sigur Ros. I'm pretty sure most people who want to catch Phoenix will want to see Sigur Ros. I get the whole "Sigur Ros will have to play the Outdoor Theatre" crap, but can't it just be an exception and go Grizzly Bear > Postal Service > the XX > Phoenix > Sigur Ros.......This would be the greatest night of music ever.
    sadly, there's something called crowd control ... as seen with the chemical brothers vs boys noize in 2011

Main
    Phoenix 11:20-End
    the xx 8:45-10:00pm
    the Postal Service 7:15-8:15pm
    Franz Ferdinand 5:55-6:45pm
    Descendents 4:40-5:30pm

Outdoor
    New Order 11:45-End
    Sigur Rós 10:00-11:20pm
    Hot Chip 8:10-9:10pm
    Grizzly Bear 6:40-7:30pm
    Violent Femmes 5:20-6:10pm

^^^I like these set times... except I would switch New Order and Sigur Ros. Also, Descendents won't be on the mainstage, or even they outdoor. They will be in either the Mojave or Gobi.

Also, Trash Talk will have a half hour set max. I wouldn't be surprised if the only got 20 or 25 minutes even. From what I have heard, when Trash Talk do a headlining tour, their shows range from 20-30 minutes tops.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.