Outdoor
    Wu-Tang Clan 10:00-11:00p
    Tame Impala 8:10-9:10pm
    James Blake 6:40-7:40pm

YUM

Default Re: Early Set Time Predictions 2013

I've started work on Friday and Saturday:
    http://clashfinder.com/s/chella13/
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    I just cant see Troxler that early in the day.

That Booka Shade>Simian Mobile Disco>Moby>Richie Hawtin Saturday night Sahara looks delicious

Yeah, acts like Seth Troxler are outside my areas of expertise. When should he play?
    1/11 Tamaryn @ The Echo, 1/20 Elton John @ Caesars Palace, 2/14 Sparks @ The Ace, 2/17 Emmy the Great @ DC9 (?)

I could honestly see him closing out the "new" stage depending on the size of it. #1 on Ra blah blah blah

Gotcha.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    This would spread out the masses between Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Bassnectar, and funnel the crowd into Stone Roses/Blur because less is going on. Dog Blood is still a big draw, but they are nowhere near as big as Bassnectar.

I think GV will gently coerce the majority of the crowd into checking out Stone Roses/Blur just like they did Pulp on Friday last year (and to a lesser extent, Mazzy Star). They aren't big in America, but GV is clearly geeking out about this booking and knows the public is less than enthused and won't make it a big priority if something else big is going on. They are going to make sure as many people see it as possible.
    Can you tell me more about this affirmative action for bland 90s Britpop bands that GV has apparently undertaken? Do they have to apply for the program? Get letters of recommendation showing a vital need for it? Something like "We certify that _________'s music can't stand on its own, so we'd like GV to shut off the competition so people have no choice but to watch them."

Given the sparse crowd for Pulp last year, are there not questions as to the effectiveness of the affirmative action program? Why were Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, and whatever the Gallaghers shat out recently not given the helping hand? Exactly how incapable of drawing a crowd on their own does a band have to be before GV steps in to herd all the ignorant children toward the "correct" musical choice? Could we have Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, and Travis headline next year under an expanded program?

Most importantly, is it even constitutional? Where's the compelling state interest in forcing festival-goers to woo-hoo? Can Blur prove historical discrimination that prevented music fans from enjoying the woo-hoo? Does listening to The Stone Roses actually provide any educational benefit that flows from a diversity of musical acts? What will Scalia think? [Ignore the state actor requirement for the hypothetical]
    Last edited by mrhand; 01-30-2013 at 10:48 PM.

handjob in da houssse

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Can you tell me more about this affirmative action for bland 90s Britpop bands that GV has apparently undertaken? Do they have to apply for the program? Get letters of recommendation showing a vital need for it? Something like "We certify that _________'s music can't stand on its own, so we'd like GV to shut off the competition so people have no choice but to watch them."

Given the sparse crowd for Pulp last year, are there not questions as to the effectiveness of the affirmative action program? Why were Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, and whatever the Gallaghers shat out recently not given the helping hand? Exactly how incapable of drawing a crowd on their own does a band have to be before GV steps in to herd all the ignorant children toward the "correct" musical choice? Could we have Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, and Travis headline next year under an expanded program?

Most importantly, is it even constitutional? Where's the compelling state interest in forcing festival-goers to woo-hoo? Can Blur prove historical discrimination that prevented music fans from enjoying the woo-hoo? Does listening to The Stone Roses actually provide any educational benefit that flows from a diversity of musical acts? What will Scalia think? [Ignore the state actor requirement for the hypothetical]
    Scalia...what an American original.

Modest Mouse/Jamie xx = conflict brewed in hell

Modest mouse > Jamie xx. Come on.

People might disagree but Saturday I'd put Baauer and Birdy Nam Nam in the Sahara and The 2 Bears in the new tent. Birdy Nam Nam has a song remixed by Skrillex and panders to that crowd and Baauer plays trap which is about as Sahara as it gets. Unless people are big Joe Goddard/Greco Roman fans they wont know the 2 bears. Not to mention their music fits right in with what we assume will be the sound of the new tent.

That's what I thought at first... but I have a feeling I'll have chance to see MM again sometime soon... Jamie? not so much.

But this isn't even close to how bad some other possible conflicts could be. YYYs vs. Modest Mouse... I'd kill myself.

The most common mistake in these schedule games. Thinking some of the bigger middle tier names wont play early and
    some of the tiny names wont play late.

PT wants every general taste pattern to be able to see as many of their top choices as possible.

Rarely will acts that satisfy the same niche go head to head ie Very unlikely YYYs Grinderman Japandroids have any overlap. Nor is it likely Johnny Marry goes against Blur or Stone Roses. My guess is both Marr and Japandroids are done by 5pm Friday. Could see Marr on as early as two.

Couple of other points - 6 pm on mainstays is always a lively broadly appealing high energy act to get the late arrivals going. Yeah Yeah Yeahs Franz Broken Social Scene Arctic Monkeys in past years.

My Guess is YYYs FOALs or Modest Mouse take that slot Friday Janelle Monae or New Order Saturday Vampire Weekend Sunday.

Sunset Slot on Outdoors next Safest Call - Lou Reed is a lock here Friday Probably the XX or Bat For Lashes Saturday No Idea Sunday.

Agree w those that think Sigur Ros Closes Outdoor Saturday.

Broken Social Scene is high energy? Interesting.

These look really good, but I would make a few changes
    1. Foals are now on Friday
    2. Move Lou Reed back a bit to have him play the sunset slot to a silent main
    3. Two Door Cinema club are too early especially since they are on the second line and I could see them playing the outdoor this year.
    4. Switch New Order with Hot Chip on Saturday.
    5. Switch Portugal The Man and The Violent Femmes on Saturday
    Last edited by concertgoer; 01-31-2013 at 05:42 AM.

Does Lou Reed really warrant a silent main? Sure, he has that legend status, but he's not really a rare act and his live reputation isn't a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Why were Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, and whatever the Gallaghers shat out recently not given the helping hand? Exactly how incapable of drawing a crowd on their own does a band have to be before GV steps in to herd all the ignorant children toward the "correct" musical choice?
    Kasabian was in a tent, and Arctic Monkeys and Noel Gallagher/Oasis have strong American recognition. These are headliners playing the biggest slot at Coachella. Goldenvoice has used the schedule to showcase acts before, and they have to know that an empty crowd for their headliners is going to be an embarrassment. And if you say Pulp was empty last year even with shutting down the outdoor, imagine throwing Passion Pit on the outdoor at the same time.

Does Lou Reed really warrant a silent main? Sure, he has that legend status, but he's not really a rare act and his live reputation isn't a good one.
    I think his last show in America was either in 2009 or 210 so he is somewhat rare at least here. I wasn't impressed with his Lolla set, but he just seems like the type of act that GV would shut the main stage down for.

They should probably put Troxler on early in the day, given his penchant for "partying" a little too hard to actually perform . . .
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)
    Haxan Cloak (5/15)

These are looking real solid so far, Boourns, thanks for making these. Saturday is breaking my heart already.

A couple thoughts for discussion:
    1) In the past two years of set time threads, we have a tendency to throw the dancey/indie acts on the outdoor, when they end up in the Mojave instead. Cut Copy/Robyn in the 2011 thread, M83 in the 2012 thread, etc. Based on that pattern, I feel like Two Door Cinema Club might end up in the Mojave at night. They seem like the smallest draw of those four anyway, so they'll definitely fit, and Mojave would work for their billing too.

2) Despite their billing, I get the feeling Passion Pit will have an absurdly huge crowd. Is there anyway to put them on the main around the Arctic Monkeys timeslot? Do they need to play at night? Never seen their show. I mean, Chromeo had people dancing all the way back to the Gobi, and Passion Pit seems way bigger...they have a show at Madison Square Garden this year. Maybe I am overestimating how big of a draw they are.

Passion Pit played Lolla, OSL and Made In America during the day last year and I could totally see them on the main stage around 6:00.

Arrg. There will be plenty of conflicts. This year is stacked. Thanks for doing this.

Frank, Saturday looks pretty good... but I feel like Friday needs some work. I say put Modest Mouse on the Outdoor, bump J5 into their slot and then put Passion Pit on the main.

Also, I have a feeling Earl Sweatshirt will NOT be on the main and is more likely to be in a tent. Metric, however, I think will end up on the main.

There is NO way Japandroids play the gobi. I doubt they will play that late at all. My guess is Japandroids will be in the mojave around 6-ish, or on the outdoor around 4 or 5.

Also, this is more nitpicky than anything, but I think Dog Blood will close the Sahara.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Frank, Saturday looks pretty good... but I feel like Friday needs some work. I say put Modest Mouse on the Outdoor, bump J5 into their slot and then put Passion Pit on the main.

Also, I have a feeling Earl Sweatshirt will NOT be on the main and is more likely to be in a tent. Metric, however, I think will end up on the main.

There is NO way Japandroids play the gobi. I doubt they will play that late at all. My guess is Japandroids will be in the mojave around 6-ish, or on the outdoor around 4 or 5.

Also, this is more nitpicky than anything, but I think Dog Blood will close the Sahara.
    I agree with all of this 100%. I would bet Japandroids will play the Mojave, of those two options.

Metric actually I think could go just about anywhere, I could see Main/Outdoor/Mojave. Let's see where there is space after these other changes, and maybe that will give us an idea about where to place them.

Since The Stone Roses are co-headlining wouldn't they get more than an hour?
    How about giving Blur 90 and The Stone Roses 70?

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Since The Stone Roses are co-headlining wouldn't they get more than an hour?
    How about giving Blur 90 and The Stone Roses 70?
    Hmmm. How long did the strokes get? How long would it take the stone roses to play most of their first album and a couple off second coming? Will mess around with it taking these posts into consideration when I get home tonight.

Does anyone know what kind of light show passion pit has?

Hmmm. How long did the strokes get? How long would it take the stone roses to play most of their first album and a couple off second coming? Will mess around with it taking these posts into consideration when I get home tonight.

Does anyone know what kind of light show passion pit has?
    Strokes got 65 minutes. Kanye got 90. I don't know about Passion Pit lights, but if concertgoer is correct that they played daytime at those other three festivals, I think main during later afternoon/early evening is looking more and more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post

I disagree about japandroids. Well, they could go either way, but I don't think it is necessarily a guarantee they don't do the Gobi. Acts with more accessibility and popularity have ended up there. They are one of those I could see happening in numerous scenarios. I will see if I can put them in the Mojave, though
    Last edited by Boourns; 01-31-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    Strokes got 65 minutes. Kanye got 90. I don't know about Passion Pit lights, but if concertgoer is correct that they played daytime at those other three festivals, I think main during later afternoon/early evening is looking more and more likely.
    Good to know, thanks.