Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

The Stone Roses - Made of Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyoUK View Post
    Regarding the Stone Roses, you couldn't find a sausage from them on any shelf in any music store in the US. But like I said, there are anomalies.

So to answer the question: why didn't they make it big in the US? In terms of influence, they were as influential to British bands as Nirvana were to US bands, but Nirvana were massive in the UK too. So what happened?
    Most of the popular British bands you mentioned have relatively small followings in the US, though, especially at the time they were popular in Britain. I feel like music trends propagate internationally, easily, now, with the ability to research bands on the internet and the speed with which a trend or a band spreads via social networking. Prior to internet access becoming common in American households, bands would have been very reliant on radio air play and MTV video play (backed by - as you've mentioned - major label support). That was certainly true in 1994 when Second Coming came out and was even more true in 1989 when the self-titled album was released. Both albums had singles with airplay on college/alternate format radio stations, but that doesn't necessarily bolster enough of an audience to become a hit in the US, especially considering many people would not have had access to radio stations playing these formats at that time. Most of us on here are probably a bit obsessed with music, so our experience of it and memory of what was popular may not be reliable. I thought Blur was popular, for example, but they never even had a "Top 40" (mainstream) hit in the US. What was popular with a college radio listener was very different than what was charting in the US mainstream. My perception is that there was a much bigger gulf between "indie" market and mainstream market in the US than there was in the UK?

I lived in the US, but my impression is that even in the UK, the initial reaction to their first LP wasn't much - didn't they become more popular after their Top of the Pops appearance the next year? It's odd to me that they were still releasing (and charting) singles from that 1989 album into 1992. You suggested that if their first album had been of the "quality" of Second Coming, that they might have had a chance at US success... I disagree. I was in college in the US at the time Second Coming came out. "Love Spreads" -- while not a mainstream hit in the US -- was really big on college/alternative radio, and the album was easy to find in record stores even in the Midwest where I lived. The band was seen as an one-hit wonder though. IMO the second album is very weak compared to the debut. If the debut had come out on a major label, and they'd decided to put money into promoting these guys... then perhaps things would have gone differently for them here. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    I've seen Stone Roses live before. Although I have some mixed feelings about that performance from the mid-90s, I'm confident their Coachella set will be among the best of the weekend.
    I saw them on the second show of last summer's tour and was very apprehensive before hand. Their reputation is more for shit performances than anything worth watching. Every bootleg I've listened to confirms the reputation for poor performances. They were much, much better than I'd expected, though. Ian's voice sounded terrible, of course, but that's to be expected. The band was fantastic though. Very jammy, more of the psychedelia influence than is on the recorded versions of songs. I can't say I'd think they'd be the best set of the weekend, but it's not going to be some Happy Mondays style disaster.
    Last edited by chiapet; 02-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.

I saw the Stone Roses at Heaton Park last year and they were completely out of this world, so talented.

This is a live recording of Waterfall from back in the day.

and this is a live recording of Waterfall and Don't Stop (waterfall backwards!!) from last year.

Get yer Ian Brown inspired Chuck Taylors over here. http://www.theavevenice.com/store/ch...ester-Ian.html

Thumbs up Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

A lifelong dream realized! l passed them up the first time through Boston because John had quit and Reni was their soul. Regretted it ever since.

Have another classic Stone Roses song for you all today.

The Stone Roses - Song For My Sugar Spun Sister.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I've been playing their first album a lot in my car so my kids will get used to it, and my younger daughter has started singing along. Success!
    You're the same kind of person who puts an AK in a child's hands, and tells them repeatedly that the United States is an evil nation who wants them and their families dead. I mean... it's good that it's music, as opposed to an assault rifle, but it's the same action. Don't brainwash your kids, kids. It just proves how fucking stupid and easily manipulated they are, which says worlds about you. The sad part is that you spent time telling a public forum about how proud you were for brainwashing your easily duped moronic children. Looking before you leap isn't just about jumping. It's not good music if you have to play it over and over again before you like it. Vampire Weekend had two immediately good songs, and an album full of songs that were okay to listen to. I started remembering the words and singing them when I heard them... then I thought about it. I don't do that anymore. If it isn't good at first, it isn't good. Period. Force horse cock on yourself for the next year, Amyzzz. I bet you get good at it, and stop complaining so much after a few weeks. Does that mean you'll want to introduce your family to it? YOU PEOPLE. Christ.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    You're the same kind of person who puts an AK in a child's hands, and tells them repeatedly that the United States is an evil nation who wants them and their families dead. I mean... it's good that it's music, as opposed to an assault rifle, but it's the same action. Don't brainwash your kids, kids. It just proves how fucking stupid and easily manipulated they are, which says worlds about you. The sad part is that you spent time telling a public forum about how proud you were for brainwashing your easily duped moronic children. Looking before you leap isn't just about jumping. It's not good music if you have to play it over and over again before you like it. Vampire Weekend had two immediately good songs, and an album full of songs that were okay to listen to. I started remembering the words and singing them when I heard them... then I thought about it. I don't do that anymore. If it isn't good at first, it isn't good. Period. Force horse cock on yourself for the next year, Amyzzz. I bet you get good at it, and stop complaining so much after a few weeks. Does that mean you'll want to introduce your family to it? YOU PEOPLE. Christ.
    she prefers dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

The most classic Coachella Board post of all time?

kids are dumb because they are manipulable? isnt that just part of being a small child?

Kids are dumb because they're inexperienced. That can't be helped. Did you have a point to make, or were you going to suck the cock of semantics a little longer? Your go. Some people make points. Some people ride coattails. Which are you, scrim?

I'm pointing out that your premise of calling him a brainwasher is complete bullshit because all kids are influenced by their parents.

For those of you with less intelligence who are just tuning in. Amyzzz said this:

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I've been playing their first album a lot in my car so my kids will get used to it, and my younger daughter has started singing along. Success!
    If she (pretty sure Amyzzz has a twat somewhere down there. No offense, Amyzz, if you don't.) was met with "Success!," then please explain to me what she succeeded in doing that was not brainwashing. My parents played their music when I was growing up. I tolerated, and later learned to love it. If you literally plan on having Person A do something they weren't going to do by Time A, then you're either manipulating, or coercing. You really suck at this semantic battle you're trying to uphold. Coercion would be your best argument, though it still leans heavily toward brainwashing. Feel free to try again =)

Today, I bring you all yet another Stone Roses classic.

The Stone Roses - I am the Resurrection.

That one has been posted already, Kirby77. You're wasting bandwidth... (is bandwidth still relevant in 2013, or am I going to have to use another excuse for this person to stop?)

"showing them the music so they get used to it" is no different than parents pushing their kids into doing team sports. Its not brainwashing, its supplying teaching and guidance. they may have choosen a way of saying it that set them up for misinterpretation, but i'm pretty sure the original statement was ment to be humorous
    Last edited by Ajo209; 02-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Like I've said before ZafoTOOL, if you don't like The Stone Roses, why do you constantly keep coming back and posting stupid comments on this STONE ROSES thread ?
    Last edited by Kirby77; 02-20-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajo209 View Post
    "showing them the music so they get used to it" is no different than parents pushing their kids into doing team sports. Its not brainwashing, its teaching and guidance. He may have choosen a way of saying it that set him up for misinterpretation, but i'm pretty sure the original statement was ment to be humorous
    Refer to Chinese Water Torture.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby77 View Post
    Like I've said before ZafoTOOL, if you don't like The Stone Roses, why do you constantly keep coming back and posting stupid comments on this STONE ROSES thread ?
    It would be far more stupid to not question the outright propaganda that this thread is. Without this thread, your posts would be none. Let's get someone in here to fix the glitch, so to speak.

It would be far more stupid to not question the outright propaganda that this thread is. Without this thread, your posts would be none. Let's get someone in here to fix the glitch, so to speak.
    I see this is not the only thread you have hijacked with you stupid comments, it seems to me that you just like arguing with people. Is your life that empty and sad that you have to hide behind you computer and write bitter and twisted comments all day ?

Anyway, I am not going to argue with you anymore on here, as it appears that's what you get off on!
    Last edited by Kirby77; 02-20-2013 at 10:58 AM.

lol she didn't make it sound like torture at all, jokingly implied that they made them listen while in the car (every kid has to listen to their parents music in the car), thinking they wouldn't like it, only for them to end up enjoying it and start singing along.

showing people new things is chinese water torture to you?

Is stupidity an expression you're openly terrified of? Constantly spam posting a single band's music would be considered stupid to anyone who sees any amount of income on a regular basis. Yes, I enjoy verbal exchanges on the internet. Am I hiding, or am I opening doorways to molesting the minds of people outside my physical sphere of influence? I guess I could use my cash to fly to all of your home towns, take you each aside individually, and explain why your posts here are ridiculous... but then I would be ridiculous for investing so much of my energies. It costs me little to nothing to write a two minute paragraph explain myself, and my observations. Maybe the internet just isn't the right place for you. 45 Stone Roses related posts later, and you've accomplished nothing. The people think the Stone Roses are shit now have proof. The people who like the Stone Roses are as blind as ever. Everyone else is thinking about their bands of choice. What is your purpose, guy? If you think this is an argument, then your parents either never got married, or you've been living in foster homes your entire life. This is, at very most, a light, casual debate. It amazes me how sheltered the majority of you are. And yeah, that's coming from a guy with an empty/ sad life who hides behind a computer. Satisfaction levels may vary from user to user.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby77 View Post
    I see this is not the only thread you have hijacked with you stupid comments, it seems to me that you just like arguing with people. Is your life that empty and sad that you have to hide behind you computer and write bitter and twisted comments all day ?

Anyway, I am not going to argue with you anymore on here, as it appears that's what you get off on!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajo209 View Post
    lol she didn't make it sound like torture at all, jokingly implied that they made them listen while in the car (every kid has to listen to their parents music in the car), thinking they wouldn't like it, only for them to end up enjoying it and start singing along.

showing people new things is chinese water torture to you?
    I had a four point plan of action to help you with your learning disability, but it accidentally got deleted =( Seek professional help. I don't have the credentials required to fix the loose wiring that is your mind, anyway. Good luck =)

Put Zafocaine on ignore, everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

There she goes trying her manipulation techniques out again. Further proof of her brainwashing ideals. It very likely runs in the family. I can tell already her mom is a sour cunt. I'm going to be here either way, Amyzzz. You may as well accept that I'll be posting whether I get responses or not. At least responding to me keeps me busy in these threads, leaving the rest of the board without the presence of Zafo. If you were a little more intelligent, you would organize accordingly... and you would also stop duping your children into listening to shitty music. Though... what do I know?

I love The Stone Roses, Fools Gold and I am the Resurrection were/are anthems of my youth. However, as sad as it makes me to say this, in the majority of peoples eyes The Stone Roses will fall flat as a headliner. Live, they actually suck. And I'm talking in their hayday. Ian Brown's abilities as a lead singer for live performances... shit I'm gonna feel embarrassed. Having said that, I most likely will be out of my fucking mind and be wailing along to every tune, in turn embarrassing the fuck out of everyone with me.

So to conclude, those of you that have reservations about going to see The Stone Roses, don't bother. Those of us who loved them and always wanted to see them live, would rather be closer to the front. Now Blur on the other hand, holy actual fuck. I'm not going to sell these guys to you coz if you are not informed of their brilliance, then you don't deserve to be.

So... again, at least a few of us posting on this thread have seen them perform live within the last year. They were good. Ian's voice sucks, that is true, it always has. But "how bad" he was had been exaggerated, and the band otherwise sounded fantastic.

I'm not saying they should be a headliner (but that's because I don't think they will draw enough people, not because they're not good enough). When I saw them last year, it was a sold out crowd, but at a ~1000 person venue. Everyone was singing along and dancing the whole time. Hundreds and hundreds of grown men sobbing the whole time, hah.

grown men sobbing, lol.

Yes, their gig in Dublin was described to be as a giant sing along for adults.

Brits do love a sing-along (sorry for including Irish with Brits).

The Stone Roses fans. Please post which bands you're planning on seeing aside from The Stone Roses (and Dropkick Murphyslolz). Just wondering what cool people like you were looking forward to, especially for Saturday and Sunday. Thankzzz