Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Lurker

Talking Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    I think the Stone Roses are a great band, but I'm guessing it'll be one of the most sparsely populated headlining sets in Coachella history. When a thread needs to be created to explain why a headliner is headlining then it doesn't bode well for their audience size, IMO.
    or it goes in the other direction, people will want to see what its all about? Why would a band make the headliner slot like this? Maybe, just maybe its going to be awesome...... I dont know who you are, Im sure your a sound person, keep on open mind, just because you aint hearing it on the radio or on MTV doesnt make it crap... Radiohead, Coldplay,Oasis, Blur etc etc all claim that the Roses significntly influenced their music. Any music lover will check them out- do your self a favor, be there and see what its all about

Lurker

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

If I was Blur -- I would not want to go on after the Roses- You cant follow I am the Ressurection. Blur are a good band, but they will csound crap after the end of Ressurection. Imaging Blur coming on after Led Zep close with Whole Lotta love.... its a lose lose for Blur----

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by DaFunkyPrecedent View Post
    I really can't see how The Stone Roses are going to go on after Blur. It doesn't make sense to me.
    If I was Blur -- I would not want to go on after the Roses- You cant follow I am the Ressurection. Blur are a good band, but they will csound crap after the end of Ressurection. Imaging Blur coming on after Led Zep close with Whole Lotta love.... its a lose lose for Blur----

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by airforcefoo View Post
    Radiohead is one of my all-time favorite bands and OK Computer is the best album of the 90s, but the greatest English album of all-time is Revolver.
    Dude, revolver is great, but if all you heard really was fools gold, your comparing apples to oranges. You need a decent set of headphones, and listen to the first album from start to finish, stop after ressurection. The whole CD is beautifully made and peiced together (fools gold is not on the orginal record, it as added by slivertone after the roses split from them).

old school

Stone Roses are playing a 20,000 capacity arena in Mexico April 9th. Pulp sold it out in April 2012, so this one should do well.

Also means Coachella is the US debut of all 4 and not North American debut.

I bet the Blur <-> Stone Roses thing will be determined by conflicts. Stone roses def wont play against Lou Reed so maybe we will see roses -> blur with lou on the outdoor? or Lou during blur on main -> stone roses with yeah yeah yeahs on the outdoor. you get my drift im bad at stage predictions.
    DRUGS ON KIDS

I would imagine there would be a microphone and spending of his endowment money.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Alright, I am a fan of The Roses but I don't see a need for them to headline. Yes, they have played huge shows and have drawn huge crowds. But I don't see them drawing the crowd you would expect from a coachella headliner especially after just coming back from obscurity. The main reason being that they don't have BIG sound. I was hoping for an act that would provide a few anthems that I really knew well, some wicked production value, and a set that would rock my socks off. The roses can put on a show, but nothing that's gonna blow me away. I just think that they would be better appreciated if they weren't headlining. Don't mean to offend anyone. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHeindel View Post
    Alright, I am a fan of The Roses but I don't see a need for them to headline. Yes, they have played huge shows and have drawn huge crowds. But I don't see them drawing the crowd you would expect from a coachella headliner especially after just coming back from obscurity. The main reason being that they don't have BIG sound. I was hoping for an act that would provide a few anthems that I really knew well, some wicked production value, and a set that would rock my socks off. The roses can put on a show, but nothing that's gonna blow me away. I just think that they would be better appreciated if they weren't headlining. Don't mean to offend anyone. Just a thought.
    I think thats a solid point but GV probably thought that too thus the Co-Headliner Blur (which I guess we are supposed to view equally?). Either way, I just posted this but. I think they both should have been Saturday.

The Stone Roses - One Love

One love we don’t need another love
    One love one heart and one soul

Your fruit’s in season
    And these feet fall surely sound
    And what goes up must come down
    Turns into dust or turns into stone

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Can someone explain why this band sounds terrible to me? Extra points for persuasion.

That's easy, it's not about you.

Quote Originally Posted by themule View Post
    keepin this rebuttal alive cuz its right on...well said my friend. i normally don't try to reason with the amazingly-seemingly-unawarely-self-righteous (and in turn) AWESOME!!! people on this board...but if I was ever to write a mulit-paragraph defense of something I loved (i also loath multi paragraphs) I would want it to sound like this. Gonna be an amazing show. Blur too.
    This goes right along with the old adage that there was no good music in the 80s into the 90s. This is going to be an eye opener to new people in the way that Suede was in 2011.
    I would have went to Coachella this year JUST for this! Not to mention: Palma Violets, Savages, Blur, Johnny Marr, FOALS, New Order, Dead Can Dance, OMD, For Tet.
    WAKE UP PEOPLE! NEW ORDER - STONE ROSES-BLUR-JOHNNY FUCKIN MARR IN ONE WEEKEND!!

Yeah I'm thinking about shelling out for weekend 2, it's so awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Quote Originally Posted by markalfieday View Post
    Dude, revolver is great, but if all you heard really was fools gold, your comparing apples to oranges. You need a decent set of headphones, and listen to the first album from start to finish, stop after ressurection. The whole CD is beautifully made and peiced together (fools gold is not on the orginal record, it as added by slivertone after the roses split from them).
    Trying to judge the Stone Roses based on a song or two is not really fair. Also they released many versions of most of their tracks so you may have been listening to a demo or a 7" version or alternate take. They had their troubles with labels and management, so their true genius was never fully realized. However, if you listen to their first record, from front to back, you will hear something very special and extremely rare. The perfect record. I am on the fence of whether I'd put The Stone Roses, Revolver, Definitely Maybe, or OK Computer as the best British (or any really) album ever, each has it's own merits. But if you put on a decent pair of headphones and listen to the production, it will stun you. You really must get a little old school, go out and buy the CD or find one on ebay or something. They just released the 20th anniversary edition 2 years back that was remastered, it is phenomenal. You will not be disappointed. And if you hate it, put it back on ebay, it will sell.

The Roses had a few more albums worth of material in them that was never compiled or that they were never able to get into the studio to properly record. Hence, they have a lot of strong B-Sides which they do play live. So check those out too. I posted a few days back what they typically play live, that's a good place to start if you want a cheat sheet as to what you'll likely hear.

And I FULLY agree with AMYZZZ, I wasn't too stoked on dual weekends last year, but this year really makes me want to go to both weekends. I think Goldenvoice has really out done themselves this year. 2008 was my favorite year thus far and it didn't look that great upon release, but it surprised me in so many ways. Most Coachella veterans will tell you that Roger Waters was one of the top performances of all time. I think this year will be the same way for a lot of fans, this lineup will surprise a lot of people. I'm looking forward to having more Blur and Stone Roses fans here. Those types of influences can only lead to good things for the future of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Coachella will be the 4th Continent where the Roses have headlined a world class festival in the past year.
    That's great. It still doesn't change the fact that they're so obscure in this country that there is a thread justifying their existence as a headliner at Coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Well over 100,000 people have faith in GV to buy passes without a lineup, but don't have faith in GV when they put SIGNIFICANT stock in SR as a headliner?
    This is GV that gave us RHCP as a headliner. Are you excited for RHCP? Because your question should apply to them as well.

Look, I like their music (not so much the live vids I've seen but the recorded music), and I'm going to check out some of their set, but I'd be totally happy if they had gotten the sunset slot on the outdoor, or something.
    Last edited by PointBlank; 02-06-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    That's easy, it's not about you.
    Wrong. Half a point for effort.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc2929 View Post
    This goes right along with the old adage that there was no good music in the 80s into the 90s. This is going to be an eye opener to new people in the way that Suede was in 2011.
    I would have went to Coachella this year JUST for this!
    Freaking This! I thought Suede was the best set I saw in 2011 (of course I'm an old Britpop kid who idolized Suede in the 90's) but they couldn't even fill the Mojave. The Kaiser Chiefs, Elbow, and Kasabian who play to giant crowds in the U.K. played to lukewarm audiences here. I saw Elbow in a sub-1,000 seat venue in SF two years ago. Kasabian was fantastic but again barely filled the Mojave.

It will be interesting to see the crowd for the Roses. They're more influential than Suede or the Kaisers, but they are also more obscure since they are known only for that one really great album that came out 25 years ago. I was trying to think of a parallel but can't really. Maybe if Jeff Buckley had retired instead of died, and then decided to come back and still only had Grace as his only record, and then was the headliner.

Again, I'm beyond excited at the headliners on Friday. The Roses are definitely the festival highlight for me. Just super surprised they're headlining considering the stages/times other british/britpop acts have played.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking about shelling out for weekend 2, it's so awesome.
    The fact that I have limited vacation days and I'm going to Atlanta for the Final Four a week before and to Chicago in September is the only thing that prevents me from doing this. I may still.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    Freaking This! I thought Suede was the best set I saw in 2011 (of course I'm an old Britpop kid who idolized Suede in the 90's) but they couldn't even fill the Mojave. The Kaiser Chiefs, Elbow, and Kasabian who play to giant crowds in the U.K. played to lukewarm audiences here. I saw Elbow in a sub-1,000 seat venue in SF two years ago. Kasabian was fantastic but again barely filled the Mojave.

It will be interesting to see the crowd for the Roses. They're more influential than Suede or the Kaisers, but they are also more obscure since they are known only for that one really great album that came out 25 years ago. I was trying to think of a parallel but can't really. Maybe if Jeff Buckley had retired instead of died, and then decided to come back and still only had Grace as his only record, and then was the headliner.
    Kasabian had a crowd spilling outside their tent W1 when I looked near the end of their set.

I find Rammstein doing 3 recent arena tours in North America riskier than Roses co-headlining a festival. A-Ha did a successful North America tour after being gone for 20+ years, but that's smaller venues and lesser catalogue importance. Abba's 1980 US tour was only successful in some markets. Hendrix was unkown to Americans when he headlined Monterey over the Who. I believe Barry Gibb(Bee Gees) is playing some US arenas later in 2013, last proper US tour was 1979.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    That's great. It still doesn't change the fact that they're so obscure in this country that there is a thread justifying their existence as a headliner at Coachella.

This is GV that gave us RHCP as a headliner. Are you excited for RHCP? Because your question should apply to them as well.

Look, I like their music (not so much the live vids I've seen but the recorded music), and I'm going to check out some of their set, but I'd be totally happy if they had gotten the sunset slot on the outdoor, or something.
    With this billing they are no longer obscure. Serious fans in Canada and the US knew the name and some songs, so "obscure" is a relative term. I've heard Love Spreads on commercial radio for over a decade.

GV gave fans a 3 months head start to get familiar. Fans show up or they don't. Discussing is pointless until the saturday on W1.

Two of my favorite Stone Roses songs and there both b-sides!!!

Where Angels Play

Standing here

Quote Originally Posted by markalfieday View Post
    or it goes in the other direction, people will want to see what its all about? Why would a band make the headliner slot like this? Maybe, just maybe its going to be awesome...... I dont know who you are, Im sure your a sound person, keep on open mind, just because you aint hearing it on the radio or on MTV doesnt make it crap... Radiohead, Coldplay,Oasis, Blur etc etc all claim that the Roses significntly influenced their music. Any music lover will check them out- do your self a favor, be there and see what its all about
    It doesn't work that way. People won't go to see them because they don't know them. Most people I know are showing very little interest to even investigate. You can't expect the masses to make an effort to learn about a headliner and expect them to show up in masses.

I'll see your 'Standing Here' and raise you an "I'd rather be no one than someone with no one to love".

Thanks for all the youtubes, people!
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

old school

Mexico City seems to be selling at a decent pace. Tuesday April 9th in an arena with Jake Bugg opening.

No one cares how the Stone Roses' gig in Mexico City is selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

I care.

Why? What on earth does it have to do with anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    I'll see your 'Standing Here' and raise you an "I'd rather be no one than someone with no one to love".

To be honest, I have so many favorite Roses songs. To me every song they have ever written is class and that is what makes them stand out from all the rest!!

Another B-side for you all - All Across the Sands

Last edited by Kirby77; 02-07-2013 at 12:43 PM.