Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 1009

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

  1. #121
    Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Are you ever right about anything?
    Let's hope not. One right could make a million wrongs look that much more right.

  2. #122
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23

    Cool Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Those that don't know who they are, I'm jealous because your going to get to see them for the first time! And at every festival there are golden finds-this one will blow your heads off. They're amazing. Checkout the last 6 mins of "I am the resurrection" if you have an doubts (headphones on). I don't know what all the moaning is about-the point of the music festival is to experience new music right? You have to trust the organizers, they know their stuff- They're going to rock Friday night- check scroll to 4:18 of this vid and let it play to the end!! Thats the way to close out Friday night- fookin awesome- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNIJMk_syA Led Zepplin with the Beatles.... BRING IT ON

  3. #123
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Here is the lead singer performing I Wanna Be Adored (solo) headlining T in the Park Scotland: Brilliant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7dq6w9klDg

  4. #124

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    RENI 2016
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

  5. #125
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.


  6. #126
    Member santasutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,210

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    There's a whole lot of ignorance and revisionist history floating around in this thread. Two points:

    1) The Stone Roses are undeniably important essential, even in the history of British music. But the band was hardly an obscurity to people in the States who knew good music in the late 80's/early 90's. I grew up in the middle of nowhere Ohio, and I was 16 when the band released their debut album in 1989. This was obviously pre-Internet, so I didn't read about them on Pitchfork (which also didn't exist in 1989), and my family didn't have cable, so if the band were played on MTV, I didn't know about it. Our two radio stations played pop hits and classic rock, and the closest college station was just out of range and virtually unlistenable through the static, so I couldn't hear them on the radio. And it's not like the local drugstore carried Q or NME for me to read about them. All of this is to say that despite what amounted to a media blackout, I had somehow heard of the band and was looking forward to the release of their debut. They were getting press from someone big enough to reach me in Cow Country, which means it's fucking stupid to claim that the Stone Roses were somehow dredged out of the depths of an anglophile's wet dream by Coachella's promoters. They were (and are) a big deal to music fans of a certain age on both sides of the Atlantic a reputation that's only growing with their reunion and that cachet alone is reason enough to put them at the top of Friday's lineup.

    2) One other whine that keeps coming up is that Coachella is "an American festival," and the Blur/Stone Roses bill is too British. This is an intellectually dishonest claim that's also fucking stupid. Coachella has always been Brit-heavy, both in headliners and the undercard. As a fan of British music and as someone who's been attending the festival since 1999 that's also been its biggest draw. I knew I could count on the festival's organizers to bring me a wide range of established and up-and-coming British acts that I might not be able to see elsewhere. That's been true every year, including this one. Hell, the festival itself was even conceived as an American version of English festivals like Glastonbury and Reading/Leeds. Coachella's indebtedness to England's music and festival culture has never been a secret, and the Blur/Stone Roses-headed lineup is just a natural extension of every single lineup that's come before.

    No one's asking that the naysayers become overnight converts to the Stone Roses, but fuck off with all this nonsense about the band's supposed obscurity. If you haven't heard of them, that says more about you than it does about the festival. And fuck equally off with any claims that a festival that's brought us legions of British music from Underworld and Spiritualized in 1999 through Alt-J and Palma Violets this year should suddenly become primarily an outlet for American music. The fact that it doesn't traffic solely in American music is one of the reasons many of us love it.
    Here Here!

    If you were at Kasabian in the Mojave last year, you totally get Roberto's last paragraph.

  7. #127
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23

    Smile Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Dude, its going to be amazing,- and my hats off to the organizers of Coachella- its a brilliant move. They clearly know what they are doing. THANK YOU Coachella, you've made my YEAR!!!! The Roses, as you know, are amazing

  8. #128
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    dude, when you see the gig- you will get it....

  9. #129
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Thanks you, I wanted to say that- This is my first Coachella (Lolla every year, Glasto 6 times, Leeds, T in The park etc etc) Dont know what all the fuss is- Roses will be amazing.

  10. #130

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    There's a whole lot of ignorance and revisionist history floating around in this thread. Two points:

    1) The Stone Roses are undeniably important essential, even in the history of British music. But the band was hardly an obscurity to people in the States who knew good music in the late 80's/early 90's. I grew up in the middle of nowhere Ohio, and I was 16 when the band released their debut album in 1989. This was obviously pre-Internet, so I didn't read about them on Pitchfork (which also didn't exist in 1989), and my family didn't have cable, so if the band were played on MTV, I didn't know about it. Our two radio stations played pop hits and classic rock, and the closest college station was just out of range and virtually unlistenable through the static, so I couldn't hear them on the radio. And it's not like the local drugstore carried Q or NME for me to read about them. All of this is to say that despite what amounted to a media blackout, I had somehow heard of the band and was looking forward to the release of their debut. They were getting press from someone big enough to reach me in Cow Country, which means it's fucking stupid to claim that the Stone Roses were somehow dredged out of the depths of an anglophile's wet dream by Coachella's promoters. They were (and are) a big deal to music fans of a certain age on both sides of the Atlantic a reputation that's only growing with their reunion and that cachet alone is reason enough to put them at the top of Friday's lineup.

    2) One other whine that keeps coming up is that Coachella is "an American festival," and the Blur/Stone Roses bill is too British. This is an intellectually dishonest claim that's also fucking stupid. Coachella has always been Brit-heavy, both in headliners and the undercard. As a fan of British music and as someone who's been attending the festival since 1999 that's also been its biggest draw. I knew I could count on the festival's organizers to bring me a wide range of established and up-and-coming British acts that I might not be able to see elsewhere. That's been true every year, including this one. Hell, the festival itself was even conceived as an American version of English festivals like Glastonbury and Reading/Leeds. Coachella's indebtedness to England's music and festival culture has never been a secret, and the Blur/Stone Roses-headed lineup is just a natural extension of every single lineup that's come before.

    No one's asking that the naysayers become overnight converts to the Stone Roses, but fuck off with all this nonsense about the band's supposed obscurity. If you haven't heard of them, that says more about you than it does about the festival. And fuck equally off with any claims that a festival that's brought us legions of British music from Underworld and Spiritualized in 1999 through Alt-J and Palma Violets this year should suddenly become primarily an outlet for American music. The fact that it doesn't traffic solely in American music is one of the reasons many of us love it.
    I think I love you.

  11. #131
    Member themule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nashville, San Francisco
    Posts
    486

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    There's a whole lot of ignorance and revisionist history floating around in this thread. Two points:

    1) The Stone Roses are undeniably important essential, even in the history of British music. But the band was hardly an obscurity to people in the States who knew good music in the late 80's/early 90's. I grew up in the middle of nowhere Ohio, and I was 16 when the band released their debut album in 1989. This was obviously pre-Internet, so I didn't read about them on Pitchfork (which also didn't exist in 1989), and my family didn't have cable, so if the band were played on MTV, I didn't know about it. Our two radio stations played pop hits and classic rock, and the closest college station was just out of range and virtually unlistenable through the static, so I couldn't hear them on the radio. And it's not like the local drugstore carried Q or NME for me to read about them. All of this is to say that despite what amounted to a media blackout, I had somehow heard of the band and was looking forward to the release of their debut. They were getting press from someone big enough to reach me in Cow Country, which means it's fucking stupid to claim that the Stone Roses were somehow dredged out of the depths of an anglophile's wet dream by Coachella's promoters. They were (and are) a big deal to music fans of a certain age on both sides of the Atlantic a reputation that's only growing with their reunion and that cachet alone is reason enough to put them at the top of Friday's lineup.

    2) One other whine that keeps coming up is that Coachella is "an American festival," and the Blur/Stone Roses bill is too British. This is an intellectually dishonest claim that's also fucking stupid. Coachella has always been Brit-heavy, both in headliners and the undercard. As a fan of British music and as someone who's been attending the festival since 1999 that's also been its biggest draw. I knew I could count on the festival's organizers to bring me a wide range of established and up-and-coming British acts that I might not be able to see elsewhere. That's been true every year, including this one. Hell, the festival itself was even conceived as an American version of English festivals like Glastonbury and Reading/Leeds. Coachella's indebtedness to England's music and festival culture has never been a secret, and the Blur/Stone Roses-headed lineup is just a natural extension of every single lineup that's come before.

    No one's asking that the naysayers become overnight converts to the Stone Roses, but fuck off with all this nonsense about the band's supposed obscurity. If you haven't heard of them, that says more about you than it does about the festival. And fuck equally off with any claims that a festival that's brought us legions of British music from Underworld and Spiritualized in 1999 through Alt-J and Palma Violets this year should suddenly become primarily an outlet for American music. The fact that it doesn't traffic solely in American music is one of the reasons many of us love it.
    keepin this rebuttal alive cuz its right on...well said my friend. i normally don't try to reason with the amazingly-seemingly-unawarely-self-righteous (and in turn) AWESOME!!! people on this board...but if I was ever to write a mulit-paragraph defense of something I loved (i also loath multi paragraphs) I would want it to sound like this. Gonna be an amazing show. Blur too.

  12. #132

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    The Stone Roses - She Bangs The Drums

    Kiss me where the sun don't shine
    The past was yours
    But the future's mine
    You're all out of time


  13. #133
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,850

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    The past was theirs now, amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  14. #134
    Member syrrus101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sacramento
    Posts
    257

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    im very curious to see what the crowd size is going to be like for this
    Hopefully HUGE! Im stoked to possibly have the rest of the grounds to myself...

    The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11


    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

  15. #135
    Member PointBlank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Fernando Valley
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by syrrus101 View Post
    Hopefully HUGE! Im stoked to possibly have the rest of the grounds to myself...
    I think the Stone Roses are a great band, but I'm guessing it'll be one of the most sparsely populated headlining sets in Coachella history. When a thread needs to be created to explain why a headliner is headlining then it doesn't bode well for their audience size, IMO.

  16. #136
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,850

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    See Gorillaz '10.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  17. #137
    Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    See Gorillaz '10.
    Explain.

  18. #138
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,109

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Not really excited for them. Also no fucks given about MBV releasing a new album. Is there something wrong with me?

  19. #139
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,850

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Steve, you just have different tastes is all. I can see people not liking MBV because they music can be annoying if I am not in the right mood to listen to it. Also, I really hated that Fool's Gold song (Stones Roses' song) the first several times I heard it back in the early 90's. (I adore it now though).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  20. #140

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    The Stone Roses are one of those bands that just grow and grow on you the more you listen to them. They are going to surprise a lot of people at Coachella, even if it is fairly quiet to begin with, once they start playing the crowd will soon build!

  21. #141
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,850

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    You have so much faith in them. I like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  22. #142
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,109

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby77 View Post
    The Stone Roses are one of those bands that just grow and grow on you the more you listen to them. They are going to surprise a lot of people at Coachella, even if it is fairly quiet to begin with, once they start playing the crowd will soon build!
    I've tried listenIng to them several times sInce the mid 90's, haven't done so yet. Assuming the live show will be a good one, but don't count on revisiting their recordings afterwards.

  23. #143
    old school CrimesceneCookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,986

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    first I was like

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Why the constant need for assholes to be negative and tell us what they don't like, like we give two shits? Why not tell us what you do like, be positive? Fucks will still not be given, but you'll come across less chumpy.
    but then I was all

    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Not really excited for them. Also no fucks given about MBV releasing a new album. Is there something wrong with me?

  24. #144
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,850

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    ha HA! burn!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  25. #145
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,109

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Yes, but I am not ripping on the bands, calling them shitty, or slagging other people for liking them. That's what my original post was about, with that person starting a new thread just to state that.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 02-04-2013 at 04:32 PM.

  26. #146
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,850

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Steve, just try listening to Stone Roses eponymous album a few more times. Maybe it will click this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  27. #147
    Pedley Rocks JustSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    the Beach of Newport
    Posts
    12,109

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Been listening to it since the mid 90's, if it hasn't hit yet pretty sure it won't ever

  28. #148
    Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,027

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Steve, just try listening to Stone Roses eponymous album a few more times. Maybe it will click this time.
    It's not algebra, dummy. It's boring music. I want to be considerate of your opinions, but you keep covering them in shit. Don't do it again.

  29. #149

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    The Stone Roses - Daybreak

    This is the daybreak and this is the love we make - yeah!!!! Class


  30. #150
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,966

    Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

    Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    I think the Stone Roses are a great band, but I'm guessing it'll be one of the most sparsely populated headlining sets in Coachella history. When a thread needs to be created to explain why a headliner is headlining then it doesn't bode well for their audience size, IMO.
    Coachella will be the 4th Continent where the Roses have headlined a world class festival in the past year.

    Well over 100,000 people have faith in GV to buy passes without a lineup, but don't have faith in GV when they put SIGNIFICANT stock in SR as a headliner?

Similar Threads

  1. STONE ROSES
    By SPX_clothing in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM
  2. No Stone Roses!!!
    By kroqken in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 03:48 PM
  3. GUNS N ROSES HEADLINING SUNDAY
    By Tijuana in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 08:35 AM
  4. Stone Roses!?
    By ecalcott in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 05:11 AM
  5. THE STONE ROSES!!!
    By longbeach90803 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 12:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •