Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    FWIW, Menik said he found out about RHCP headlining over a year ago.
    Eric said that someone told him that they heard that RHCP were booked for next year. However, he also followed it up by saying that he wasn't convinced that they were actually booked. They were probably being discussed at that point... but The Stones and Daft Punk probably were too, so none of that means very much.

This is all a lot of hearsay unless it comes directly from the source. If RHCP's manager says that they officially signed on to the festival an hour before the line up was released, I am inclined to believe RHCP signed on to headline an hour before the line up was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Yes, they signed on after discussions with the Rolling Stones ended. They may have been talking before that, but once the Stones looked like a possibility they were put on the back burner until the deal fell through.

Obviously the Roses aren't massive here as they are in the UK, but booking them as the headliner was a great way to keep Coachella a unique event.

The Roses sold out 3 nights of 70,000 people per night in Manchester last year, so they are obviously doing something right.

Chalk this one up to the tradition of booking a reunion band that really matters a lot, though only to a modest portion of the festival audience.

Coachella Junkie

Everyone bitches when its not the band they wanted. If you bring Kings of Leon or Jack Johnson, they complain about it being an "unoriginal choice". Shit, I'll take a band that might not draw a huge crowd over those names anyday.

GV booked a band that was never hugely popular in the US but has a dedicated cult following. Given the rarity of show, they give them a headling spot. Good on ya GV for putting rarity over popularity, not every festival does this.

I like how some people think the festival will have to work hard to sell out next year. In 2010, the festival gained tons of backlash for overcrowding & poor design (Clusterfuckchella). Like, serious backlash. And what'd the festival do the next year? It still sold out. I seriously doubt that GV is worried about this being "a bad move". I mean, is there anyone that's not going to buy tickets next year because the Stone Roses headlined?

Lou Reed would have been just as bad, but I don't think people would have been defending him as much.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    I like how some people think the festival will have to work hard to sell out next year. In 2010, the festival gained tons of backlash for overcrowding & poor design (Clusterfuckchella). Like, serious backlash. And what'd the festival do the next year? It still sold out. I seriously doubt that GV is worried about this being "a bad move". I mean, is there anyone that's not going to buy tickets next year because the Stone Roses headlined?
    It will still sell out. I don't think anybody is really arguing that. But I also think that the "brand" has definitely been weakened temporarily. In 2012, the media coverage about the headlining sets made Coachella seem like the most electric place on the planet. This year, the media coverage about the headliner made it sound like Coachella is out of touch. I don't care how much GV likes to cater to true music fans, that is not good press to have. Absolutely nothing a solid set of headliners can't fix next year, but still. I don't think you can realistically argue that the Stone Roses set, now that it is over and done with, was even neutral for the festival's image. Ultimately the question is how much you care about the image in the first place, which may be "not at all".

I don't think Paul gives a flying fuck about that incorrect notions of the brand being weakened. Both weekends will still sell out next year and it's worth mentioning that he said in 2011 that the ideal situation for him would be if both weekends just fell short of selling out so that everyone that wanted to attend could. If anything this "backlash" might stop some terrible people from going next year that only care about headliners or just to want to be seen because it's Coachella.

Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Eric said that someone told him that they heard that RHCP were booked for next year. However, he also followed it up by saying that he wasn't convinced that they were actually booked. They were probably being discussed at that point... but The Stones and Daft Punk probably were too, so none of that means very much.

This is all a lot of hearsay unless it comes directly from the source. If RHCP's manager says that they officially signed on to the festival an hour before the line up was released, I am inclined to believe RHCP signed on to headline an hour before the line up was released.
    I think it's fair to conclude that GV makes arrangements for certain major acts to keep the 2 weekends open for a certain window of time. This also goes for acts that add shows those weekends that were booked all along but done only as a decoy(ie: Muse/Killers this year). I'm not clear on how financial compensation comes into play as AEG books them in some of their venues around the globe.

What I am not seeing discussed is how the city of Indio approved a major fireworks show($250,000 total??) to conclude both fridays. Obviously it was not used. Presumably it was connected to the Stones.

Too lazy to read through the thread. After Blur went and caught a peek at HTDA and Earl then walked back to Stone Roses. I wasn't a fan before, nor a fan now. The only reason I was there was because I knew I'd never see them again and really wanted to see what the whole deal was about. The guitarist and drummer were great. Ian sucked. The show hit a low point for me when Ian, trying to look tough, yelled, "Any requests?!" and after I heard about three people mumble songs at him, he yelled back, "We don't do requests." Lame.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.
    Haha. I pretty much agree.

Quote Originally Posted by wpod1 View Post
    Haha. I pretty much agree.
    Not entirely true. There were a few acts that were jam-packed (Passion Pit, Modest Mouse, LUmineers, OM&M, come to mind) but good spots could be had at just about any non-Sahara act if you got there even five minutes before the set started.

^^^^ greatest post ever

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

So, was this weeks crowd better?
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Why hello! I'm a Coachella attendee with an opinion and I'd like you all to listen. Feel free to fill in the blanks.

I would think they'd have a slightly bigger crowd this week with people waiting to see Blur and also their time slot being earlier as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

much bigger, and more energetic! SR redeemed tonight. We had such a good time.. Blur killed it too!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    So, was this weeks crowd better?
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Yeah the crowd was pretty decent sized. Ian didnt sound as bad this week either. However, the music was pretty boring to me so I left. They definitely looked better than last week.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Quote Originally Posted by PulpOne View Post
    The show hit a low point for me when Ian, trying to look tough, yelled, "Any requests?!" and after I heard about three people mumble songs at him, he yelled back, "We don't do requests." Lame.
    HAHAHAHAH
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

Weird day yesterday, crowd-wise. Around 3-6pm it was packed everywhere. By about 9pm we pretty much had free reign around the outdoor, mojave and gobi. Walked right up to Purity Ring, Foals crowd wasn't real big, and walked right up to HTDA and Earl Sweatshirt. Blur was packed

glad that's over with
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Funny I don’t remember seeing the swap of Blur and SR at the start of the even. Golden Voice can change the lineup at any time, OK I get the fine print, but I attended Coachella just to see SR. I would have gone week one if I knew about the swap. Fans will come regardless of the lineup but the swap should have been announced from the beginning, a steaming pile for this fan, thanks GV.

Both bands played had the same set length each weekend
    The only difference was Blur closed weekend 2 and they were billed above them on the poster for Weekend two all along

Ian sounds good. This show seemed better. Crowd had the band more at ease. Not so nervous this week and they worked out the problems Ian had hearing himself sing. Good on ya!

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Funny I don’t remember seeing the swap of Blur and SR at the start of the even. Golden Voice can change the lineup at any time, OK I get the fine print, but I attended Coachella just to see SR. I would have gone week one if I knew about the swap. Fans will come regardless of the lineup but the swap should have been announced from the beginning, a steaming pile for this fan, thanks GV.
    As a Stone Roses fan, you should be happy that you chose Weekend 2 over Weekend 1. Ian' vocals were so out of tune Weekend 1 that it really put a damper on the enjoyment of the whole show. Weekend 2 by contrast seems to be significantly better based on YouTube videos. They did play less songs, but the quality is much higher and worthy of the Stone Roses legendary status. I wish I had gone Weekend 2 to see them put on a great performance, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Sounds a bit better yea. I've seen some awkward frontmen in my day, Ian is right at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    Ian sounds good. This show seemed better. Crowd had the band more at ease. Not so nervous this week and they worked out the problems Ian had hearing himself sing. Good on ya!

In prescriptive grammar fewer is the prescribed comparative to be used in relation to discretely quantifiable nouns, i.e., count nouns. The comparative less, it is argued, should be used when speaking of a grammatically singular noun (including mass nouns). Descriptive grammarians, however, are only concerned with the extent that this distinction applies in actual human usage.

The prescriptivist distinction can be seen in this example: "There is less flour in this canister", but "There are fewer cups (grains, pounds, bags, etc.) of flour in this canister", as flour is a mass noun unless it is measured in a unit (in this case cups). However, in the case of singular but discretely quantifiable nouns as in "one less cup of flour in this canister", the adjective fewer should be used, the prescriptivists argue.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I wish I had seen more of Stone Rose's set. Fuck Bassnectar. What was I thinking.

I am just glad I made the effort to see them not knowing what to expect. It definitely completed my Friday.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Nightmares On Wax - Amoeba, Basement Jaxx - Rhonda, !!! - Pomona, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Thumbs up Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Without a doubt SR's set was Great, Ian's vocals were a bit off but not enough to distract from the individual songs or the show. I am stoked that after all these years I was able to see them in person. I hope they add some US dates to their tour, September - December looks open, I would love to see SR's AGAIN, Thanks GV for booking them.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Without a doubt SR's set was Great, Ian's vocals were a bit off but not enough to distract from the individual songs or the show. I am stoked that after all these years I was able to see them in person. I hope they add some US dates to their tour, September - December looks open, I would love to see SR's AGAIN, Thanks GV for booking them.
    Judging from the crowd they pulled at Coachella I'd be surprised if they ever played another show in the US. I don't think Ian's ego could take the hit of performing in 1500 - 3000 person venues.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits