Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

I say God bless GV for continuing to book niche acts like Stone Roses, Portishead, and My Bloody Valentine. Without GV I doubt I would have gotten to see ANY of them, unless I traveled overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Why would the US need another EDM festival? Much less Southern California. GV could afford to pull this, so they did and it'll still sell out for years to come. The bookings of both Blur and SR is something the festival would've done in the earlier years, while they wouldn't have headlined, they wouldn't look out of place on the poster when it was a young festival. Coachella is about doing something different and booking bands you won't see elsewhere, which is why people go. I don't regret going to SR even if it was a subpar performance, but at least I got a chance to see their only show in the states for what could be the last time. All it means is that we won't see Primal Scream or Happy Mondays or Kula Shaker atop the bill.

I think it's mostly the billing they got, I don't think anybody cares that they played. This whole thing would've been avoided with Wu Tang headlining a night and Blur / Stone Roses as bands two and three

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    GV pulled a fast one on true Stone Roses and Blur fans. We all knew this wasn't going to work out...the polo fields were never going to magically transform to Glasto or Reading. And yet they put them in the fucking top spot when their fans are over 30's that danced to these bands in the 90's. Double Britpop headliner my ass, all the britpop/uk-indie peeps I know stayed home and watched the webcast. Again, there is nothing wrong with GV booking these 2 but the way they went about it is where I have the problem. They didn't respect the fans who went or (didn't go) and didn't do the bands any favors. They didn't book any other shows and selfishly promoted this as "the only U.S dates for the Stone Roses and Blur". So if you don't come to this clusterfuckfest, you are not going to see them. Of course Blur and the Roses are going to take the week off sitting on the money they've been paid.
    GV needs to open their eyes, take a walk around the grounds, and get with the times. The masses just want what's in the Sahara, that's the shit your demographic goes bonkers over.
    God your ignorant. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, RHCP, The Lumineers, Two Door Cinema Club, and Modest Mouse all had huge crowds. Yeah EDM and rap is popular at coachella, but so is folk rock, indie rock, and indie pop. Mumford and Sons would of drawn the biggest crowd at coachella if they were to headline. Coachella dropped the ball this year on promoting the Stone Roses. Face the facts. Why would anyone care about an obscure band that never had a single hit in the US and haven't put out any new material within the last 20 years to promote? THe egos of the stone roses is baffling, and completely irrational. All of you who back the roses are even more delusional than the band, and your excuse for the coachella crowd only caring about sahara acts is even more indignant.

Ian Brown is officially THE worst frontman/ singer ( I guess you can call it singing) in the history of music. I'd love for Simon Cowell to critique them between songs .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    GV needs to open their eyes, take a walk around the grounds, and get with the times. The masses just want what's in the Sahara, that's the shit your demographic goes bonkers over.
    Disagree.

The Who
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse
    Black Sabbath
    Elton John
    Stevie Wonder

Come to mind immediately as older acts that would have drawn a great crowd at Coachella against the T&S/HTDA/Earl/Bassnectar bill. I was at Tegan and Sara with my friends, and their crowd was huge, but the majority of it (myself included) in the back half that went almost to the Gobi portapotties was just lying on the ground hanging out because there was nothing on that really excited us. I also know tons of people that went to Bassnectar just by default, not because they enjoy the Sahara the most, but because they were unfamiliar with the headliner. Most of them didn't like Bassnectar's set, but went there to kill time.

The problem is that Stone Roses were never big in America, have no legacy here, and thus should not have headlined. I would have had no problem if they were on, say, the outdoor or earlier on the main, or in the Mojave like Suede. Sounds like it is being alluded to that the problem was that The Stone Roses were tough negotiators and wouldn't play unless they headlined. GV had a tough decision to make, and decided to book them anyway. I'm not sure I agree with that decision, but hey, I am not running a festival.

I think it's quite obvious that after the massive success of 2012 (and the growing succes from the prior years), coupled with the massive success of the 2013 presale, GV realized perhaps that Coachella has reached its zenith of popularity and this afford them at least one year of some serious gambles on the lineup, like putting Stone Roses & Blur at the top. BOTH bands (not just the Roses) had piss poor attendance and I was up front for both. Again I think GV cashed in on the massive success and decided to just do what the fuck they wanted. Next year we may see a bit of a reversal to account for damage control to the brand. I don't think much damage was done, but they will probably go back to the bigger-name headliners next year.

We still don't know who was supposed to be booked in place of RHCP. (I assume the *other* Stones were the intended target.) That also played a role.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Eh bro is this your mission everyday to keep spreading hate on here, just because you didn't get Daft Junk for your headliner? You just never shut up, you and your fucktard disco edm clowns. Fuck all of you! Ruining what was once a positive and great festival. You just keep slinging insults everyday. Complaining and bitching. I mean do you see me or others going to the dj's that you love and talking a bunch of shit about them, and how much they suck? No. But you and a couple other bitch asses make it your mission to do it everyday on this one..so FUCK YOU DICK!
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    Ian Brown is officially THE worst frontman/ singer ( I guess you can call it singing) in the history of music. I'd love for Simon Cowell to critique them between songs .
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Anyone noticed how small the crowd was for Stone Roses on Friday night. I think there were more people watching Bass Nectar that night.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    But I wanted to see blur. They did it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    If the standard is "legitimate headliner already on the poster," Sigur Ros could have easily headlined Friday. Best set of the festival and a big enough draw to fit the main stage.

If the standard is "not a headliner but better than the Stone Roses," then pretty much anything on the first 3 lines and several below that.

If we expand to "other headliners out there that were potentially available to book," then ALL OF THEM.

Everything doesn't suck. The Stone Roses suck and just about anything else would have been better.
    Sigur Ros would've killed on Friday night as the headliner instead they were apart of the conflict of doom slot (Phoenix, New Order, and Knife Party).

They wouldn't have "killed", but they would have had substantially more people gathered around the Main Stage, yeah. I really think GV was making a statement and nothing more with this billing.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Lurker

Been following this thread for a few weeks and had to add my thoughts. I flew across country this past weekend for my first Coachella because of THIS lineup.
    It was a chance to see some bands I have never seen or will never see again. The smaller acts were strong, but closing out Friday with Blur-Stone Roses, Saturday with New Order, and Sunday with OMD-Roni Size-Dead Can Dance was amazing. Yes I'm old (40s) but I am so glad I didnt pass up the rare chance to see these acts. If one band brought me to Coachella it was The Stone Roses and I had the time of my life. To anyone who loves the Roses dont listen to all the negativity. Go see them, get up close, and have an experience that will last a life time.

Watched the video recap, as I was looking for myself (too far right), and noticed Mani seemed to swap basses every song. Brought over the arsenal. I was underneath The Unforgettable Squire, a term Ian coined John during their fighting days over the sound and elongated soloing of Second Coming, who looked like pre-Darth Luke Skywalker in that jacket. Hair was so cool.

"We have to go back!". I want to go back.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by SPX_clothing View Post
    I think there is some major (I told ya so) bias from Stone Roses haters and such, so that is to be expected on their crowd count for this.
    You're right that there is some major bias but it's from all the Stone Roses fans. When every single person other than you says the crowd was tiny, I think you may be the biased one. In fact most of the people you call haters don't even hate them. They just don't think they're worthy of the headline spot which was clearly proved by not only the crowd size but also their performance. Any other artist that was playing that night, hell maybe even the day should have filled that spot. Whether it be a Rap artist, Rock artist or one of those "fucking DJ's" that YOU are biased about. Take your head out of your ass.

I want to go back too! I really shouldn't though.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

I shouldn't either, but there is this massive urge. Need to stop reflecting until after wk2.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wpod1 View Post
    Been following this thread for a few weeks and had to add my thoughts. I flew across country this past weekend for my first Coachella because of THIS lineup.
    It was a chance to see some bands I have never seen or will never see again. The smaller acts were strong, but closing out Friday with Blur-Stone Roses, Saturday with New Order, and Sunday with OMD-Roni Size-Dead Can Dance was amazing. Yes I'm old (40s) but I am so glad I didnt pass up the rare chance to see these acts. If one band brought me to Coachella it was The Stone Roses and I had the time of my life. To anyone who loves the Roses dont listen to all the negativity. Go see them, get up close, and have an experience that will last a life time.
    You just explained how I feel about Coachella every year, regardless of lineup. Come back next year so you can give a true comparison =)

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I say God bless GV for continuing to book cliche* acts like Stone Roses, Portishead, and My Bloody Valentine. Without GV I doubt I would have gotten to see ANY of them, unless I lived in London, where posh bullcrap like this in a festival setting would sell tickets at an astounding 32.81 pounds for a three day weekend (or $50, to those of us who know we're living in the greatest english speaking country in the world. No offense, Britards. I'm sure someone loves you).
    Corrected For Accuracy

Roll on tomorrow, can't wait to see the Stone Roses !!!!

Will be wearing my Reni hat tomorrow for sure!

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I can't wait to see Ian's reaction to an even smaller crowd tomorrow night.

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    came here to post this. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...iners-20130417

hate to say i told you so but i fucking told you so. These guys had NO business headlining mainstage.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I think it's quite obvious that after the massive success of 2012 (and the growing succes from the prior years), coupled with the massive success of the 2013 presale, GV realized perhaps that Coachella has reached its zenith of popularity and this afford them at least one year of some serious gambles on the lineup, like putting Stone Roses & Blur at the top. BOTH bands (not just the Roses) had piss poor attendance and I was up front for both. Again I think GV cashed in on the massive success and decided to just do what the fuck they wanted. Next year we may see a bit of a reversal to account for damage control to the brand. I don't think much damage was done, but they will probably go back to the bigger-name headliners next year.

We still don't know who was supposed to be booked in place of RHCP. (I assume the *other* Stones were the intended target.) That also played a role.
    When the lineup was released and i called the bullshit presale as a cash grab everyone on this forum said i was an idiot. You included if i recall... If they actually released tickets days after the lineup the fest would have had a hard time selling 150000 tickets.

Coachella as a 1 week event will always be sucessfull regardless of lineup. Old people go because of tradition and young people go because it is the place to be. After this lackluster lineup and even more lackluster hype of week 1, i doubt we will see 2 weekends for next year unless they know they can score Tool or Daft Punk.

Btw the live webcast hurts coachella hype because the crowds look like a bunch of bored hipsters standing around.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Yes, Tool or Daft Punk.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Yes, Tool or Daft Punk.
    No idea how/why he equated the two. Haha.

whiney pain in butt

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post

RHCP didn't replace anyone, in fact they were one of the first to be confirmed by GV for headlining... like almost a year in advance... keep trying though..

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    RHCP didn't replace anyone, in fact they were one of the first to be confirmed by GV for headlining... like almost a year in advance... keep trying though..
    Hmmm....that's not how I heard it. It could be that RHCP were a reserve act in case a headliner dropped out.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    Wrong.

Though I agree they didn't "replace" anyone; the festival was simply short a headliner up until the last minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kayeM View Post
    came here to post this. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...iners-20130417

hate to say i told you so but i fucking told you so. These guys had NO business headlining mainstage.
    ITT: Haters post poorly researched articles written by hacks about something that everyone knew a long time ago; claim victory.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

In their defense most British Newspaper are awful.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.