Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

the festival will still sell out next year. Everyone relax.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I guess my stance is why bother booking them then. If The Stone Roses were being that difficult, then why not move on for the good of the festival?

If it was agreed upon because GV collectively wanted to pat themselves on the back for booking The Stone Roses at their festival because a) they themselves were fans of the band and b) so they could feel good about their festival landing such a exclusive act, then that is just as much an ego issue as The Stone Roses demanding things. Overall, having about 6% of the festival show up to your Friday night headliner (based on the generous thread estimates of 5,000 of an assumed attendance of about 80,000) does nobody any good at all. It hurts and embarrasses the festival. I get that it must have been really cool for the few American fans to see this band do their first American show in who knows how long, but it seems like a lot of work for something that ultimately damaged the Coachella brand.

I am, however, more than open to being convinced otherwise -- I just don't currently see why it was worth the effort.
    How did it damage the brand? If people didn't like The Stone Roses then they just saw something else. If anything their booking showed how confident GV is in booking whatever the fuck they want and I applaud that.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    I still stand by the fact that the Dr. Dre and Snoop Dog set was terrible and built to entertain the brainless masses heading over from the Sahara.
    i will respectfully disagree. it was one of my top 5 sets last year... super fun and my middle school fantasies played out.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    All of this is ultimately a non-issue. There were four other packed stages going on, and I don't think the "who the fuck are the Stone Roses crowd" ultimately gave fucks that they had to see whatever it was they were seeing instead on another stage.
    This implication that people didn't care that the main stage closing slot was completely wasted on Friday and that people are not the least bit interested in more good options is bullshit. I'm sure many people were happy with what they saw, but they would have been FAR HAPPIER if they'd had a decent main stage option to throw in the mix rather than useless shit. In fact the only reason I wandered over to the SR late Friday was because Bassnectar and HTDA were underwhelming and Earl/T&S were complete shit. Something decent on the main would have been great at the time. Instead I just got to laugh at the SR instead of taking in the great production and scale of the main with someone legit.

Feel free to ask 1000 Coachella goers if they'd rather have 4 good options or 5 good options and I guarantee you're not going to find a single one that wants fewer, even if they're happy with whatever else they saw.

This is just more excuse-making for a GV fuckup.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    This was NOT a shitty booking for the few that were enraptured on the polo field at midnight.
    Oh, so true. I don’t think I even turned around once during Blur or Roses. And, if I did, I'm certain I didn't do it to “check the crowd size by the third song, the beginning, the end”. You know how ridiculous it sounds to spend your time monitoring that kind of thing? I was transfixed in another world of my favorite songs and the high-high. God bless Goldenvoice.

Anyone see my Pollock’d Lemon tanktop?
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

I really enjoyed seeing them, and it seemed like everyone around me did as well. One of the better sets of the weekend. I hope they appreciate the fans that actually wanted to see them.

It was different for Coachella to have Blur/Stone Roses as headliners when they are not as popular in the US as in the UK. However, isn't the Friday headliner always the weakest headliner? Also, Friday seemed less crowded than the other days--it usually does--and I hear that HTDA didn't have a huge crowd either. To me, the biggest conflict was Bassnectar, which is not exactly a rare act.

How big was the crowd for RHCP on Sunday, which usually has the biggest headliner?

It must be really difficult to get a headliner that is a) popular b) not *just* popular (actually quality) c) not too much $$$ and d) available. I think we will not have hugely popular headliners like Roger Waters or Paul McCartney every year.

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    That doesn't seem like an excuse to me. Then don't book them and look for something fresher or daring even. It's Coachella for fuck sake. They obviously can book whoever they want -- The Stone Roses.. Jack Johnson etc.. So they should have said 'that will not work for us' and booked someone else. Simple as that.
    But I wanted to see blur. They did it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    This implication that people didn't care that the main stage closing slot was completely wasted on Friday and that people are not the least bit interested in more good options is bullshit. I'm sure many people were happy with what they saw, but they would have been FAR HAPPIER if they'd had a decent main stage option to throw in the mix rather than useless shit. In fact the only reason I wandered over to the SR late Friday was because Bassnectar and HTDA were underwhelming and Earl/T&S were complete shit. Something decent on the main would have been great at the time. Instead I just got to laugh at the SR instead of taking in the great production and scale of the main with someone legit.

Feel free to ask 1000 Coachella goers if they'd rather have 4 good options or 5 good options and I guarantee you're not going to find a single one that wants fewer, even if they're happy with whatever else they saw.

This is just more excuse-making for a GV fuckup.
    So basically everything sucks, but things would have been better if [hypothetical unknown yet more popular headliner that may or may not also suck according to Mr. Hand] had headlined instead of the Stone Roses? Thanks for contributing, as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    to be fair, "fuck you" and "fank you" are pretty close.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Oh, there's nothing more creative than tweeting that someone is KILLING IT and taking a picture of your lemonade. Go fuck yourself.

Hmm...

Well I'll put in my two cents. I left bassnectar to catch some of HTDA. caught a few songs and then went over to see Stone Roses. My jaw dropped at how awesome they sounded. The very first thing that came to my mind when I saw them was the title of this thread..The guitar was utterly fucking badass and I really enjoyed what I saw of them.
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

So basically everything sucks, but things would have been better if [hypothetical unknown yet more popular headliner that may or may not also suck according to Mr. Hand] had headlined instead of the Stone Roses? Thanks for contributing, as always.
    "More good options is always better than fewer good options" is a pretty simple concept. I can see why you struggle with it.

Coachella Junkie

I'm laughing at people who think this was "embarrassing for GV" that a headliner played to such a small crowd. I'm pretty sure that GV, who are clear professionals at what they do (source: see how the festival has become progressively more popular in the past few years, selling out faster & faster each year) knew what they were doing when they booked the Roses. The knew better than we did, because this is what they do. I'm sure they knew this would have a small crowd, and that putting them up as a headliner would be a "controversial move". As mentioned by others, I'm sure the Roses demanded a headlining spot of some sort, and this was the only way GV would get them.

This headlining spot is a spot that could have gone to big acts like Kanye West, Muse, Kings of Leon, The Killers, The Cure, Phoenix, RHCP, The Black Keys, McCartney, and other bands that tour frequently and you can most likely see at their own solo show. But instead GV showed that they had the guts to recognize rarity over popularity in a big way, and gave in to the Roses headlining. I give them props for that, because most other festivals wouldn't do that.

It's funny. People like to call GV lazy for booking names like Jack Johnson/KoL/The Killers, and then they call it embarrassing when GV goes the other route on the Roses. Everyone used to complain about Portishead never playing the festival, and then, when they finally got booked in 2008, people complained that they were billed too high. Everyone just loves having something to complain about if its not the band they love. They're not going to get Radiohead every year.

The festival will still sell out next year.

Even when they do get Radiohead, everyone still complains.
    No, don't, don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair.

"More good options is always better than fewer good options" is a pretty simple concept. I can see why you struggle with it.
    Agreed. The problem is that you simply think every option is terrible, offer no constructive alternatives. It's literally the most useless type of "everything suxx" complaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    nope. go to the artist page and click on Blur.
    DAMMIT!!!

I would had been able to see Grinderman!
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Agreed. The problem is that you simply think every option is terrible, offer no constructive alternatives. It's literally the most useless type of "everything suxx" complaining.
    If the standard is "legitimate headliner already on the poster," Sigur Ros could have easily headlined Friday. Best set of the festival and a big enough draw to fit the main stage.

If the standard is "not a headliner but better than the Stone Roses," then pretty much anything on the first 3 lines and several below that.

If we expand to "other headliners out there that were potentially available to book," then ALL OF THEM.

Everything doesn't suck. The Stone Roses suck and just about anything else would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Hmm...

Well I'll put in my two cents. I left bassnectar to catch some of HTDA. caught a few songs and then went over to see Stone Roses. My jaw dropped at how awesome they sounded. The very first thing that came to my mind when I saw them was the title of this thread..The guitar was utterly fucking badass and I really enjoyed what I saw of them.
    This just get's me more pumped for week two! Thanks for the post.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

What an absolute embarrassment for everyone involved. Golden Voice look like fucking idiots for ridiculously overestimating the demand for an underwhelming washed up nostalgia act. Ian Brown was an angry cunt, saying fuck you to the crowd and generally acting like the pissed off little troll he is. At one point he looked out at the tiny crowd and said "You have any requests? Fuck you, we don't take requests."

Some hilarious responses in this thread though. I have no idea if there were 5,000 people at that set when it started, but when I wandered by at 12:30a, there might have been 1000-1500 at best. You could walk straight up to the rail with zero resistance, and the crowd didn't even go 1/4 of the way to the soundboard. After songs ended, it was mostly silence and maybe a few polite golf claps.

I have to say I absolutely loved the entire scene. The fact that the egotistical hobbit got a taste of exactly what kind of obscure nothing he still is in the states was delicious. His pouting and stomping around the stage and cursing at the crowd in response was a perfect example of his douchiness.

Blur's crowd was small as well but at least they proved they can put on a respectable show and Damon Albarn possesses talent. Not so for the monotone dwarf and his band of boring assholes.

I'd highly encourage everyone going to Wk2 to go check it out for at least 10-15 mins just to get an idea of exactly how pathetic and sorry the whole spectacle is. I'm guessing Brown will be an even bigger dick when he has to slog through a second humiliation of playing a set in front of a crowd more suited for a junior high xmas play.
    just quoting this because it's one of the funniest posts i've ever seen on this board

it really was sad to see such an enormously tiny crowd for a headliner. i was thinking 5,000, but today a few people in the know told me even less.

dr dre/snoop was the biggest crowd that stage ever had and will ever have, and it was something GV was so against, and came into the picture only because black sabbath cancelled.

i understand Paul and its great he still has passion for music, but Coachella is just so big now, and demographic has changed so much, he needs to be more careful. booking bands that he and a few friends like for a headline slot at one of the biggest music events in the world is just wrong. it doesnt do a favor to the band, to the festival, to anyone. its just a sad picture in the end.

but with daft punk and one massive hip hop headliner again next year, all will be OK sales wise

if you don't think the festival is going to sell out every year from now on, you're delusional. it sells out both weekends in a matter of hours, they can book whoever they want as long as there's a shred of relevancy on the first two lines of each day and it will sell out

Quote Originally Posted by Sladokusac View Post
    it really was sad to see such an enormously tiny crowd for a headliner. i was thinking 5,000, but today a few people in the know told me even less.

dr dre/snoop was the biggest crowd that stage ever had and will ever have, and it was something GV was so against, and came into the picture only because black sabbath cancelled.

i understand Paul and its great he still has passion for music, but Coachella is just so big now, and demographic has changed so much, he needs to be more careful. booking bands that he and a few friends like for a headline slot at one of the biggest music events in the world is just wrong. it doesnt do a favor to the band, to the festival, to anyone. its just a sad picture in the end.

but with daft punk and one massive hip hop headliner again next year, all will be OK sales wise
    The only thing sad about the turnout is that's it's just further proof of how terrible our country is.

This really has very little to do with the demographic changing, although the demographic has changed. They would have never pulled this shit prior to this year. Up until when 2011 sold out in six days, they had to actually book headliners that were a reasonable draw, because their ticket sales depended on them. In 2012, they had to test to see if there was enough capacity for two weekends. While the average attendee in 2005 certainly knew about music much more than the average attendee today, booking Stone Roses back then would not have magically translated into a packed main stage full of people who know every song of theirs.

The Stone Roses can headline again next year and the first weekend could still sell out on the first day.

They should get rid of the dwarf and add a real singer.THEN this band has some potential.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

So, I noticed that Blur is the final band for Friday night on Weekend 2. I was just wondering if anyone knows if that decision was already set a long time ago, or was it changed because of the underwhelming response to the Stone Roses on Weekend 1?

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    This really has very little to do with the demographic changing, although the demographic has changed. They would have never pulled this shit prior to this year. Up until when 2011 sold out in six days, they had to actually book headliners that were a reasonable draw, because their ticket sales depended on them. In 2012, they had to test to see if there was enough capacity for two weekends. While the average attendee in 2005 certainly knew about music much more than the average attendee today, booking Stone Roses back then would not have magically translated into a packed main stage full of people who know every song of theirs.
    Yeah, have you guys seen the video from Bassnectar? Wall to wall people. The Sahara Tent basically subsidized Blur/Stone Roses this year.

GV pulled a fast one on true Stone Roses and Blur fans. We all knew this wasn't going to work out...the polo fields were never going to magically transform to Glasto or Reading. And yet they put them in the fucking top spot when their fans are over 30's that danced to these bands in the 90's. Double Britpop headliner my ass, all the britpop/uk-indie peeps I know stayed home and watched the webcast. Again, there is nothing wrong with GV booking these 2 but the way they went about it is where I have the problem. They didn't respect the fans who went or (didn't go) and didn't do the bands any favors. They didn't book any other shows and selfishly promoted this as "the only U.S dates for the Stone Roses and Blur". So if you don't come to this clusterfuckfest, you are not going to see them. Of course Blur and the Roses are going to take the week off sitting on the money they've been paid.
    GV needs to open their eyes, take a walk around the grounds, and get with the times. The masses just want what's in the Sahara, that's the shit your demographic goes bonkers over.

Quote Originally Posted by Gober View Post
    So, I noticed that Blur is the final band for Friday night on Weekend 2. I was just wondering if anyone knows if that decision was already set a long time ago, or was it changed because of the underwhelming response to the Stone Roses on Weekend 1?
    It seems to have been decided long ago. Before the festival launched, if you hovered over the poster on the homepage for Week 2, Blur was listed in front of the Stone Roses for the Friday lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    GV needs to open their eyes, take a walk around the grounds, and get with the times. The masses just want what's in the Sahara, that's the shit your demographic goes bonkers over.
    So then turn Coachella into something that looks more like EDC? Yeah, that would be fucking fantastic.