Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Quote Originally Posted by SPX_clothing View Post
    Funny how roboto and zafocaine are on here sucking eachothers dicks about this again. You fucking clowns don't belong here. All you can do is talk shit about the stone roses, and that's all you have been doing. It's your obsessive trolling habit that brings you joy.I have looked at the posts you have done on here, and people fucking can't stand you. (take a look). Again your here like clockwork, or "cockwork" doing what you do best. Huff ass and talk shit. We on the other hand thought the show and crowd were great. We had such a good time last night, and can't wait to get back today! It's really too bad that circle jerks like the 2 clowns mentioned above feel the need to bring negative vibes here...but it really doesn't matter. There is too much "good" happening at Coachella to let career trolls ruin it. Been loving this since 99' and won't stop now. See ya out there today with smiles....
    I've been to every coachella, I know what people want! Every post talks about how fucking elite you think you are. Fucking douche.

Funny how roboto and zafocaine are on here sucking eachothers dicks about this again. You fucking clowns don't belong here. All you can do is talk shit about the stone roses, and that's all you have been doing. It's your obsessive trolling habit that brings you joy.I have looked at the posts you have done on here, and people fucking can't stand you. (take a look). Again your here like clockwork, or "cockwork" doing what you do best. Huff ass and talk shit. We on the other hand thought the show and crowd were great. We had such a good time last night, and can't wait to get back today! It's really too bad that circle jerks like the 2 clowns mentioned above feel the need to bring negative vibes here...but it really doesn't matter. There is too much "good" happening at Coachella to let career trolls ruin it. Been loving this since 99' and won't stop now. See ya out there today with smiles....
    I've been to every coachella, I know what people want! Every post talks about how fucking elite you think you are. Fucking douche.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I just found my new favorite boardie!
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by negaverse View Post
    No...he said 'Thank You'..do you not speak Mancunian? Stop trying to start shit dude.
    I heard him say "fuck you" to the audience at least twice. He was probably pissed at the size of the crowd!

hhaha ya sure you have. poser
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post

I was just mocking you.

Of coarse you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    I was just mocking you.

What a..."course" response.

The real British superpower and modern gods witnessed from the second row rail.

Sure, wouldn’t have minded an extended intro for Adored and Ian’s voice turned pretty shite on Don’t Stop, but man they brought the force. Thank you so much Roses and GV.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Only 5,000...wow. Sounds like a smaller crowd than Pavement's set in 2010!

And it's no wonder: the first night's headliner, a just-reunited, massive band in the U.K. never had a hit in the U.S. So when the band finally took the stage as it approached midnight on Friday, amid a monster cloud of smoke, it wasn't a huge surprise that they were playing to a field meant for (and usually occupied by) a crush of tens of thousands, that only contained a smattering of about 5,000 people up front.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-review-439069

7/29 Conor Oberst @ Summerstage
    8/2 Daniele Baldelli/Simian Mobile Disco @ PS1
    8/2 Magda @ Output
    8/3 Seth Troxler/the Martinez Brothers @ Gov Island
    8/3 Seth Troxler @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

It's very clear that overall popularity and Coachella popularity are two different animals. Coachella's majority demo is the 16-24 crowd whose main objective is to tell their friends they went to Coachella, gravitate to the stage where the flavor of the month is playing and, of course, talk to their friends during said set. Now, within that demo, you are going to get skewed crowds. You will go three speaker levels deep for Lumineers (watched the influx from the Ferris Wheel, amazing) and Modest Mouse, but be able get up front for seminal acts like Social D, Dinosaur Jr, Violent Femmes and Stone Roses. Now, some of those "popular" acts (i.e., with the Coachella demo) are good (enjoyed the hell out of Vampire Weekend), but the overall popularity/influence/longevity of an act means little to the crowd size.

They would be perfect as a subheadliner imo.

so look, honestly no disrespect to the band at all...but in the interest of closure of the initial spirit of this thread, it appears indeed they should not have been headlining. like everyone but like 15 people said. sometimes the uninitiated masses (oh which i am a part) are just flat-out right.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    That's funny, I feel like the haters are the ones making excuses. Your primary problem appears to be that it was not very crowded. So what you are really saying is that popularity is all that counts. You don't care that the show was fucking awesome or that this band is possi ly THE most influential of it's day. So how about this. Next year GV can book Beiber, Carly Ray Jepsen, and the Black Eyed Peas. Will that satisfy you retarded fucks who keep bitching about popularity?
    What you fail to understand is that The Stone Roses could have taken the Main Stage, then MM, then YYYs, then Blur, and 95% of attendees would have prefered it. Dinosaur Jr. doesn't headline just because fifteen percent of the crowd loves them, and will be there. They simply don't headline, as only about 5% of the crowd gave a fuck about them. Look at the crowds for Phoenix and RHCP. Those are headliner crowds. Fuck, look at the crowds for Vampire Weekend and Hot Chip. THOSE WERE HEADLINER CROWDS. When you put a mid-day act in a headliner spot, it forces 90% of the crowd to other stages, which makes it that much harder for everyone else to enjoy their show but you. I'm seriously glad you guys enjoyed your show, but you've had your cake, and eaten it, now fucking admit to it, or you're in denial, and quite possibly dumber than a jelly bean stuck to the bottom of an air mattress.

Are you implying that either roboto or I are homosexuals? Furthermore: Are you implying that if we were homosexuals, there would be something wrong with that, in your eyes? The problem here is that you're homophobic, and have a real impairment when it comes to grasping logic. You've been the only one provoking people in this thread. I came here with objective criticism of the band headlining with regards to what I know about the festival, and headliners. Every prediction I made came true, and here you are trying to say I'm wrong still, name calling. Grow up, kid. You're an ignorant hate monger, and you're part of the reason myself and a lot of others are considering abandoning the festival. Of course you'll be there next weekend. I bet you never considered otherwise. Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    so look, honestly no disrespect to the band at all...but in the interest of closure of the initial spirit of this thread, it appears indeed they should not have been headlining. like everyone but like 15 people said. sometimes the uninitiated masses (oh which i am a part) are just flat-out right.
    Perhaps. It may have been a bit of the Coachella's curatorial staff (which is usually pitch-perfect) letting their personal tastes get in the way of proper ordering the acts on the poster.

I suspect these relative crowd sizes will cause some soul-searching among that staff such that they obtain headliners with a bit more sizzle and save the seminal, influential stuff for evenings at the Outdoor or Mojave.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Perhaps. It may have been a bit of the Coachella's curatorial staff (which is usually pitch-perfect) letting their personal tastes get in the way of proper ordering the acts on the poster.

I suspect these relative crowd sizes will cause some soul-searching among that staff such that they obtain headliners with a bit more sizzle and save the seminal, influential stuff for evenings at the Outdoor or Mojave.
    By putting New Order, and Marr in the tents, they showed us that they fully understand this concept. I'm thinking they really expected a massive amount of overseas Stone Roses fans to pile into the venue, but those fans just never materialized. After weekend 2 bombs, Coachella is either going to announce big changes, or sit on a phenomenal lineup until January. Hoping for the latter. We'll know when presale either does, or doesn't happen.

hope so.

This...and the fact that the audience for Coachella has changed so much in the past 10 years. Initially, it was a melting pot of musical talent targeting all lovers of music. Now it's just prime spot for partying and brought out a younger demographic less concern about who was playing and more interested in "getting their party on". All the kids want to do is dance, doesn't matter who is playing. Just look at the crowd for Hot Chip..I highly doubt all the thousands of people even knew who Hot Chip were but it didn't matter, they were having a good time.

I blame the promoters for being out of touch with their audience. I think Paul Tollett is a big Roses and general music fan that had good intentions and much respect for the Roses and Blur to put them on top of the lineup, but in hindsight it was too optimistic and a bit of wishful thinking to try and bring Heaton Park and Hyde Park to Coachella. At the end of the day, I got to see the Stone Roses and Blur thanks to GV, so i can't ask for any more.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post

I was on drugs at the time, so I could be wrong, but aside from their one kind of lame ass song, Hot Chip killed it. I sat at the back of the crowd enjoying it after having told my company how fucking lame they were. If it were all the bands that we truly love playing Coachella, the bands who could bring us to tears, then Coachella would NEVER sell out.

In case you guys forgot: IT'S SPRING BREAK. This is Cancun for poor white kids from Los Angeles, to Riverside, to Phoenix. It seemed a lot more international when I first started attending. Now it's clear that Coachella caters to that demographic, and doesn't give much a fuck about the fans and bands who made Coachella the all-powerful entity it is today.

Shoulda put them in the yuma tent, wouldnt have even been a line.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

I'm British, a Stone Roses fan, and been to Coachella 11 and 12, and even I know that they should not be headlining a festival in a country where they've never had a hit. That's like Dave Matthews headlining outside of the US.

However, take a look at the line-up, be it just the Friday line-up or the entire line-up, who else was big enough to headline?

Seemed to me that, Peppers aside, Coachella didn't book any huge headliners, so they had to find headliners from what they had booked.

Sounds to me that they sold out in july and realized they could make way more money by booking paul oakenfold and the stone roses instead of relevent artists. Why would coachella book compelling acts when eveyone pays 400$ just so they brag they were at coachella on facebook? Hope your status update was worth it, cause most of the music sucked.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Pretty sure Stone Roses had the smallest main stage crowd I've ever seen, including all bands that opened the main this weekend.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by BoyoUK View Post
    I'm British, a Stone Roses fan, and been to Coachella 11 and 12, and even I know that they should not be headlining a festival in a country where they've never had a hit. That's like Dave Matthews headlining outside of the US.

However, take a look at the line-up, be it just the Friday line-up or the entire line-up, who else was big enough to headline?

Seemed to me that, Peppers aside, Coachella didn't book any huge headliners, so they had to find headliners from what they had booked.
    Modest Mouse was ridiculously crowded, and no one could hear anything due to technical difficulties. They would have totally owned a headlining set with good sound.
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by IceyHotshot View Post
    Modest Mouse was ridiculously crowded, and no one could hear anything due to technical difficulties. They would have totally owned a headlining set with good sound.
    Or maybe they sounded like shit because the keyboardist has been shooting up a mixture of meth and heroin for far too long, and the lead singer hasn't overdosed on his coke habit (yet). Or, more likely, you're just a dipshit who was standing in the wrong place and should be bitching about how bad of a time you made yourself have, rather than how poor you thought the sound was. They sounded fine to me. Headliner worthy, easily.

Wow estimated 5,000 fans? Sorry, I walked up WAY past the sound stage without any problem.. I doubt even 5,000 stayed for even half of the set. It had about as many people as when I saw Brother Ali around 1:30pm a few years ago.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

i love the stone roses but they were pitiful and had no business headlining the main stage.
    it's not the band i hate, it's their fans.

Stone Roses fan here. Watched them on the live feed and Ian was way off key. Was pretty embarrassed for him. A total bummer of a set. I've seen them before and this was the exception rather than the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    I was on drugs at the time, so I could be wrong, but aside from their one kind of lame ass song, Hot Chip killed it. I sat at the back of the crowd enjoying it after having told my company how fucking lame they were. If it were all the bands that we truly love playing Coachella, the bands who could bring us to tears, then Coachella would NEVER sell out.

In case you guys forgot: IT'S SPRING BREAK. This is Cancun for poor white kids from Los Angeles, to Riverside, to Phoenix. It seemed a lot more international when I first started attending. Now it's clear that Coachella caters to that demographic, and doesn't give much a fuck about the fans and bands who made Coachella the all-powerful entity it is today.
    AGREE