Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

their music was a bitch to download lol, but i finally got the properly tagged 320 kbps versions of both albums, and damn. this self titled one is insanely good.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianAniel View Post
    I get why they're headlining, and given that I still decide to go, will be watching their set. But I can't say I LOVE the band. I say the best thing about them is I never feel the need to skip a song when listening, but I also never feel the need to put any particular one on repeat either. That's just me.
    You were hedging on going JA, so are you going ....cr*****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Ill have to give them a proper listen, but the one song i heard sounded like nothing. Not sure which album it was from.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    Ill have to give them a proper listen, but the one song i heard sounded like nothing. Not sure which album it was from.
    Their whole first album is fantastic. It's been voted 'The Best British Album OF ALL TIME' by the NME. (http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/22062). I think if there is one song on the record that enapsulates their sound, it's Elephant Stone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icBy5mPpyvw
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

i just listened to fools gold (the song) and dug it, but like someone said earlier, it's not much that catches your attention. the other song i listened to might as well never have been recorded. total boresville.

also, nme is trash. anyone that claims anything other than ok computer as the best album to ever come out of england is a fool.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post

Shall I continue?
    No, please don't. We get it, you like SHM and we are happy for you. Now move along...
    Last edited by blackchango; 01-27-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Lol....Love reading all of what's be said so far on this top pick, The Stone Roses are in my top 20 best bands of all time and definitely their first album is in my 10 top of all time

If you have never heard much of there music you're only depriving yourself some of the most kick ass tunes laid down.

Cheers!
    Here's to an epic weekend of great music.
    Last edited by The*Dude; 01-27-2013 at 12:10 PM.

I really can't see how The Stone Roses are going to go on after Blur. It doesn't make sense to me.
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

If you're really concerned about "crowd energy" during the Stone Roses, just come stand by me during their set. I'll give ya all you need.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Good, not great. I've read many points of view that have attempted to assert their place in music history or whatever, but I've relentlessly failed to catch onto the hype. If we're looking at the Friday night 'co-headliners,' Blur is without a doubt the real historically significant, musically accomplished headliner.

But then again, you might think the complete opposite and therein lies the beauty of the subjective Coachella experience.

Here is their entire debut album in a youtube upload. absolutely fantastic.

UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mlant View Post
    One of the greatest bands of all time, who have blessed us with a reformation. There are many of us who see this as the pinnacle of the entire weekend, however there are just as many who have never even heard of this band who say, "Who the FUCK are The Stone Roses and why are they headlining?"
    I imagine this as a brief introduction to the uninitiated. Feel free to delve into their history, far too brief, perhaps that's why this is such a big deal, not many people ever really saw them. Then peak at who they've influenced and been influenced by, some of the greats, but really it's all about the tunes! That's why they're headlining.

If you'd like to get into them, I suggest getting their first album, 1989's eponymous The Stone Roses. (You can listen to the full US Version with that link)
    Put on a nice pair of headphones, light one up, pour your favorite drink, or just grab some friends and DANCE, but enjoy the ride. A Masterpiece.
    They were also B-Side band, so make sure to check those out, I like Turns Into Stone.
    Their second and final album, Second Coming, is a change of direction and wasn't well received at the time, the bar was set so high, but there is much to like here, some big anthems and lots of groove.

Their first single from 1987:
    Sally Cinnamon (single mix)

"When I heard Sally Cinnamon for the first time, I knew what my destiny was." Noel Gallagher

She Bangs The Drums
    Maybe their biggest hit, still sounds so huge and fresh today.

Mersey Paradise
    B-Side of She Bangs the Drums, sung from the perspective of a man who drowns and murders a woman over unrequited love. Exquisite guitar work from John Squire, who also painted all cover art for albums and singles.

Elephant Stone 7" Version
    This is a non-album single which is included as track 3 on the US album. Euphoria in song form.

Ten Storey Love Song
    Off Second Coming, proper sing-a-long in the desert anthem. For all of us who've ever had our heartbroken, and tried to put the pieces back together, you'll enjoy this one.

I Am The Resurrection
    There are many ways to end an album, few can match this. (Fool's Gold 12" Version ends the US album) According to Mani, the bassist, the outro was recorded in a single take...incredible.

I'd like to offer a firm handshake to Goldenvoice for making this dream of mine come true.
    Madchester is coming to Indio!
    I can't wait for April! Who's with me??
    And to those who had never heard of the Stone Roses and have recently given them a listen because of curiosity or their headlining status, what do you think?
    I was looking forward to this thread, for better, or for worse.... this was my first time hearing the Stone Roses.

Well it looks like America is finally being exposed to the greatest band ever, The Stone Roses!

First two songs are off the first album.

Sally Cinnamon, classic!

Next two songs are off the Second Coming, A change of direction but still amazingly good!

Last edited by Kirby77; 01-30-2013 at 04:10 AM.

...this will be pure, unadulterated, musical bliss in it's most orgasmic form.

FUCK YEAH!

So many people who are coming to coachella don't know about them! I'm surprised.
    Stone Roses headlined last year's Jisan Valley Rock Festival in Korea on Saturday along with Radiohead on Friday.
    But then Sunday's headliner was James Blake. haha.
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

if the Stone Roses aren't know in the States, it is surprising to se them headlining BUT..............they are the great feckin band in the world, so hopefully everyone going to Coachella will get into them between now and April and realise why they are headlining

Albums to buy
    The Stone Roses (self titles debut)
    The Complete Stone Roses

best tunes
    I am the resurtection
    what the world is waiting for
    sally cinnamon
    made of stone
    waterfall
    she bangs the drums
    so young

Lurker

i just listened to fools gold (the song) and dug it, but like someone said earlier, it's not much that catches your attention. the other song i listened to might as well never have been recorded. total boresville.

also, nme is trash. anyone that claims anything other than ok computer as the best album to ever come out of england is a fool.
    I suggest you check out The Smiths, The Who, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Oasis, Pulp, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Libertines and so on and so forth. Radiohead are dull as fuck in comparison to any of the above, so I guess that makes me a fool

'All Across the Sands'. Sea-breezey tambourine smacker about a serial killer who buries his dead bodies at the beach.

Radiohead is one of my all-time favorite bands and OK Computer is the best album of the 90s, but the greatest English album of all-time is Revolver.

Saying that the best album to come out of England is anything but a Beatles album is just fucking retarded. And I love the stone roses. But u gonna tell me this shit is better than rubber soul, or the white album, or ______?

Quote Originally Posted by omerta View Post
    So many people who are coming to coachella don't know about them! I'm surprised.
    Stone Roses headlined last year's Jisan Valley Rock Festival in Korea on Saturday along with Radiohead on Friday.
    But then Sunday's headliner was James Blake. haha.
    What you're trying to say is that the Jisan Velley Rock Festival only had one headliner all weekend. Well said. Comparing the Stone Roses to the Beatles is blasphemy. These songs are very hard to listen to, and there's clearly nothing special about the band. This would be like having the Cranberries headline Friday, then saying that the Cranberries shaped a whole decade of people. Well..... they sort of did. Stupid people who are now dead or being taken care of by their elderly parents LOVED the Cranberries, and probably had every Stone Roses record tucked away somewhere. I feel sorry for people who are going to Coachella in 2013 for their first time. They just won't get what all the fuss was about.

Quote Originally Posted by thizzin my brains out View Post
    Saying that the best album to come out of England is anything but a Beatles album is just fucking retarded. And I love the stone roses. But u gonna tell me this shit is better than rubber soul, or the white album, or ______?
    Abbey Road is, to me, the greatest record ever. Also, the greatest Beatles Record, along with The White Album. The White Album is the band at its greatest separately while utilizing one another, and Abbey Road is the greatest, and last, group effort by the band. I hated the Beatles until I heard Abbey Road. I hated Elvis until I saw Live from Hawaii. There is nothing in the Stone Roses discography that will change my heart on this one. Even the first Killers album was special to me, and I sort of didn't show up at the main when they headlined. You can bet your Beatle boots I was there from start to finish for Paul McCartney. Truly good music speaks for itself. You won't have to defend its honor on an internet message board.
    Last edited by Zafocaine; 01-30-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Swedish House Mafia was the #1 most important dance act in 2012, simple. They have reached DJ superstar status that sells out stadiums, headline every major festival, and eventually created their own festival in Miami during Ultra Festival. THAT'S WHY THEY HEADLINED, they were the leading act for a genre of music.

Shall I continue?
    I think you just missed the point entirely.

Nice work, OP.

I prefer Rubber Soul to Revolver. However, Beggars Banquet/Let it Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile are better than any album the Beatles ever put out. I'm not saying the Beatles suck, they just aren't the Stones.

Beggars Banquet is a great album, of course... but how can you even compare it to later Beatles albums? I commend them for taking a western direction with their music, but for the whole album? Sympathy for the Devil and Dead Flowers are amazing songs, but they just don't carry the weight of the entire album. The White Album is hit after hit after hit, and so on. Abbey Road is its own thing entirely. I liked Vampire Weekend's first album a lot too, until I realized that A-Punk and Oxford Comma were getting old, and couldn't carry the rest of the album.

Ah, music as competition.

yfeah, i'm sorry i said anything.

NME is still shit.

Dead Flowers is on Sticky Fingers, not Beggars B (which doesn't have a single bad song on the album by the way)

They suck..seriously gave them a chance and cannot feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by chbludevil View Post
    Dead Flowers is on Sticky Fingers, not Beggars B (which doesn't have a single bad song on the album by the way)
    That's interesting. I'd like to know how that song got on my xbox then. I didn't think it was on BB when I heard it on the xbox, but figured it must have been, since I don't have any other Rolling Stone cds. Either way, BB is a great album, but it doesn't have many stand alone great songs. It has a lot of good Rolling Stone songs, but not many that got a lot of radio attention. Who says Dear Doctor is their favorite Rolling Stones song? Tons of people favor Sympathy, and I personally like Jigsaw Puzzle as a second best song. It reminds me of another song I can't place. The additional personnel for the album is more impressive than its supporting tracks. White Album has stellar tracks on each disc respectively. Happiness is a Warm Gun/ Yer Blues/ Bungalow Bill/ Rocky Raccoon/ Revolution/ Dear Prudence/ While My Guitar Gently Wheeps/ Savoy Truffle/ Helter Skelter/ Mother Nature's Son/ Martha My Dear/ Long Long Long/ Sexy Sadie/ Julia/ Goodnight just to name a few off the top of my head... There is seriously no band that can top that list of songs with one, two, or even three records. The only band that comes anywhere near it would probably be Pink Floyd with the Wall, and that's a stretch even.
    Last edited by Zafocaine; 01-30-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: JulianotJulie