Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madchester

may have already been posted,but whatever, worth a quick read.

Quote Originally Posted by lolandmark View Post
    But what I will say is that when "I Am The Resurrection" is played, you will be joining in, you will dance to that, when I saw them in Dublin last year it was unreal! Every single song is an anthem! "I Am The Resurrection" had the whole of Phoenix Park jumping!
    I was at that gig too and it was unbelievable. I cannot wait until they take the stage at Coachella. All this bullshit will finally be laid to rest and we'll see a crowd going nuts for them!

a very small crowd going nuts
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Farnsworth View Post
    What fucking evidence do you have that McCartney was even an option? Superfly is well-known for booking their headliners way early. I'd be stunned if they hadn't locked McCartney up fairly early last year, and seeing as how the only festivals it looks like he's playing are Bonnaroo and Outside Lands, I wouldn't be shocked if there was some sort of exclusivity deal in there. I get it, we all would have loved if the headliners were McCartney/Bowie/Daft Punk, but take a fucking look around. Mumford & Sons are headlining every other festival. Ditto with Tom Petty. The Killers are back out there, would you have preferred them? It's not like every other major festival got a stacked top line.
    I was replying to the guy who implied artists who've been booked 4 years ago were off limits. Paul McCartney was just the example at hand. You act as if having Mumford & Sons or Petty or lame headliner is somehow the equalizer. As if RHCP is not headlining Coachella. I get it, Mumford and Sons sucks, but so does RHCP. And while you may not necessarily think Phoenix "sucks" the point is they are still playing these other festivals where Petty and Mumford and McCartney are headlining but they are SUB-HEADLINERS.

I just fail to understand your logic. Coachella has shitty headliners, but it's okay because other festivals have 1 or 2 shitty headliners like Mumford?

If you only want to see the same headliners year after year why not go to different festivals? Coachella has made it very clear they don't really like to repeat often.

Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    I was replying to the guy who implied artists who've been booked 4 years ago were off limits. Paul McCartney was just the example at hand. You act as if having Mumford & Sons or Petty or lame headliner is somehow the equalizer. As if RHCP is not headlining Coachella. I get it, Mumford and Sons sucks, but so does RHCP. And while you may not necessarily think Phoenix "sucks" the point is they are still playing these other festivals where Petty and Mumford and McCartney are headlining but they are SUB-HEADLINERS.

I just fail to understand your logic. Coachella has shitty headliners, but it's okay because other festivals have 1 or 2 shitty headliners like Mumford?
    Why don't you understand that logic? Many festivals have weak headliners. That would indicate that there are a lot of weak headliners out there. It's not as if everyone is booking these super awesome acts that Coachella somehow failed to get.

And I don't give a shit about where a band is booked at other festivals. Coachella absolutely places some bands in headlining spots when they're subbing at other fests - and other fests do the same. If you want to go that route, should Coachella be booking fucking Widespread Panic and Dave Matthews and shit just because those acts headline at fests like Bonnaroo and ACL?

I don't even really like the Stone Roses that much. I just think this whiny "COACHELLA SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ALL THE BESTEST HEADLINERZ" argument is fucking tired. Yes, yes, we get it - everyone wishes that Coachella got McCartney and NIN and the Cure or whatever the fuck. But there isn't a single festival out there that's pulling this off. Each festival has one more rare "get" that's not really playing anywhere else, then a handful drawn from the "tour every fucking festival" circuit. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by beeekaay View Post
    I was at that gig too and it was unbelievable. I cannot wait until they take the stage at Coachella. All this bullshit will finally be laid to rest and we'll see a crowd going nuts for them!
    Will be good to see another pasty white Irish person at Coachella!
    Just uh no county colours yeah??

Holy shit are you fucking brain damaged?
    Ok Larry farnsworth is bashing me . Grohl is like a damn machine gun on the drums . Your a moron.

I want to hear more about the bucket hats.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Amy please give an honest review of that pheonix show . I seriously fell asleep .

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    banging your head against a wall yo.
    Modest mouse doesn't like the roses fucking guaranteed

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

tight. I want a merch item with the lemon(s). Sister sent me a shirt from the Dubai concert, but I don't really like it.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Stone roses when life gives you lemon add Molly and you'll get lemonade .

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Holy shit are you fucking brain damaged?
    All I'm going to say on this is that if Grohl is going to back your music on drums, YOU FUCKING LET HIM DO IT.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    Stone roses when life gives you lemon add Molly and you'll get lemonade .
    Unfortunately, if I were on molly, I'd probably be in a corner of the festival writing my own music rather than listening to a band that failed over twenty years ago. Either there's going to be a conflict with Blur and Stone Roses, or the Stone Roses and Modest Mouse. Hopefully GV amends the situation for weekend 2 (dropping Stone Roses to Lou Reed's nostalgia spot and letting Blur headline solo. It was never a problem that the Stone Roses are playing this gig. The problem to everyone is that they're supposedly headlining. If Blur or Modest Mouse had been put solo in the headliner spot, you'd be hearing a lot less bitching this year. Gwar-on-tead)
    Last edited by Zafocaine; 04-05-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Larry Farnsworth: The only person still posting in this thread who actually understands critical thinking.

"THIS IS AN OUTRAGE HOW DARE COACHELLA NOT RESURRECT JIMI HENDRIX AND GET HIM TO HEADLINE, HE WOULD BE WAY BETTER THAN PHOENIX THIS FESTIVAL SUCKS NOW!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    All I'm going to say on this is that if Grohl is going to back your music on drums, YOU FUCKING LET HIM DO IT.

Unfortunately, if I were on molly, I'd probably be in a corner of the festival writing my own music rather than listening to a band that failed over twenty years ago. Either there's going to be a conflict with Blur and Stone Roses, or the Stone Roses and Modest Mouse. Hopefully GV amends the situation for weekend 2 (dropping Stone Roses to Lou Reed's nostalgia spot and letting Blur headline solo. It was never a problem that the Stone Roses are playing this gig. The problem to everyone is that they're supposedly headlining. If Blur or Modest Mouse had been put solo in the headliner spot, you'd be hearing a lot less bitching this year. Gwar-on-tead)
    I like all 3 bands you mentioned but are any big enough to headline an American festival in all seriousness? I don't understand how Coachella had the nerve to book the Stone Roses to headline without expecting a backlash. I am trying to think of a similar thing happening over here for the reading festival for example. If they booked the original Lemonheads line up to headline they wouldn't get away with it. Even though that would be a massive improvement on the awful Biffy Clyro.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbeckett View Post
    Larry Farnsworth: The only person still posting in this thread who actually understands critical thinking.

"THIS IS AN OUTRAGE HOW DARE COACHELLA NOT RESURRECT JIMI HENDRIX AND GET HIM TO HEADLINE, HE WOULD BE WAY BETTER THAN PHOENIX THIS FESTIVAL SUCKS NOW!"
    Whoa buddy nobody is saying the fest sucks just the bands in the big letters .

old school

Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    So it's okay for Red Hot Chili Peppers to headline 3 times in a 10 year span, but not Paul McCartney to headline 2 times in a 4 year span.

I have to believe if you put out a poll it would overwhelmingly favor people preferring McCartney 2 times in 4 years to RHCP 3 times in 10.
    I think it's unfair to compare a festival that sold 40,000 tickets to one that sells 160,000 per year.

RHCP were releasing new albums that actually reflected in the setlist.

Paul costs 3 times as much to book.

Festivals always play favourites with acts that came from that region.

Backlash? the only "backlash" is from a bunch of Coachella newbies! Fuck em all! We are stoked for the Stone Roses and have been waiting for this for years!
    Quote Originally Posted by darklands View Post
    I like all 3 bands you mentioned but are any big enough to headline an American festival in all seriousness? I don't understand how Coachella had the nerve to book the Stone Roses to headline without expecting a backlash. I am trying to think of a similar thing happening over here for the reading festival for example. If they booked the original Lemonheads line up to headline they wouldn't get away with it. Even though that would be a massive improvement on the awful Biffy Clyro.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Quote Originally Posted by BallsTripped View Post
    The secondary ticket market fully supports your premise. Check the Craigslist ticket page of every city in every western state and they're all absolutely jam packed with hundreds of people desperately trying to unload.

And Bumblebee, give it up. Blur and Stone Roses are a niche draw for 90s nostalgia. They did nothing but kill demand this year and damage it for next year as well. Watch, the pre-sale for 2014 is going to take longer to sell out. The coming added capacity plus the availability of thousands of face value (and under) tickets this year just before the event is going to reinforce the idea that you can wait and don't have to buy before the lineup. Not to mention the thousands of pissed off people who are taking a loss on tickets that used to be solid gold and a no-brainer to buy blind.

GV pleased a few hundred Brits and simultaneously did serious damage to the aura of Coachella as a must-see event with the Friday headliners stunt. The shit crowds on Friday on the main stage will only drive the point home.
    lol, come on dude. Be serious. This is nonsense.

I promise ya'll, there will be more people for Blur and the Stone Roses then there was for Pavement. The anti-Stone Roses headlining sentiment is exactly like the anti-Pavement sentiment: it's couched mostly in ignorance, driven by some music fans who are annoyed that The Big Music Festival doesn't reflect their exact musical experience to a T. Coachella did just fine the year after Pavement played.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

WTF? Like you even "know about Coachella anyway! You are just another newbie kid. A novice to The coachella scene. Probably drawn in to this fest in the last 2 or 3 years at the most. You are one of the many who have flooded in here when the top 40 rap shit started up with K-west and Jay z. Don't try to pretend your newbie opinions about "what you think coachella should be means shit at all. There will be more than plenty of fans there to see Stone Roses and Blur. and again who the fuck cares about " next years pre-sale" anyway? Like you are the chief marketing guy for Coachella? It was AEG who started fucking Coachella up anyway. Goldenvoice is known as a Mod and Punk Rock promoter. Do some homework son, and wise up. You don't know shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BallsTripped View Post
    The secondary ticket market fully supports your premise. Check the Craigslist ticket page of every city in every western state and they're all absolutely jam packed with hundreds of people desperately trying to unload.

And Bumblebee, give it up. Blur and Stone Roses are a niche draw for 90s nostalgia. They did nothing but kill demand this year and damage it for next year as well. Watch, the pre-sale for 2014 is going to take longer to sell out. The coming added capacity plus the availability of thousands of face value (and under) tickets this year just before the event is going to reinforce the idea that you can wait and don't have to buy before the lineup. Not to mention the thousands of pissed off people who are taking a loss on tickets that used to be solid gold and a no-brainer to buy blind.

GV pleased a few hundred Brits and simultaneously did serious damage to the aura of Coachella as a must-see event with the Friday headliners stunt. The shit crowds on Friday on the main stage will only drive the point home.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    lol, come on dude. Be serious. This is nonsense.

I promise ya'll, there will be more people for Blur and the Stone Roses then there was for Pavement. The anti-Stone Roses headlining sentiment is exactly like the anti-Pavement sentiment: it's couched mostly in ignorance, driven by some music fans who are annoyed that The Big Music Festival doesn't reflect their exact musical experience to a T. Coachella did just fine the year after Pavement played.
    Pavement was a second line act that should have been put on the third line, instead of playing at the same time as Thom Yorke ????, and the Stone Roses are Co-Headlining, not second lining.

If The Stone Roses go up against Blur, then they'll probably get a good set. If they go up against Modest Mouse or Yeah Yeah Yeahs, then they'll likely get a lesser crowd, though it's going to be a larger crowd than Pavement. That was just another lesser mistake. One of my favorite main stage sets ever, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    im very curious to see what the crowd size is going to be like for this
    Well personally I hope the crowd is small, so I can get very close, although I doubt it will be. Seen them at Feile '95 in Cork. Their last gig (with classic lineup) since their reunion.
    Last edited by daveodonaghue; 04-06-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Pavement was a second line act that should have been put on the third line, instead of playing at the same time as Thom Yorke ????, and the Stone Roses are Co-Headlining, not second lining.

If The Stone Roses go up against Blur, then they'll probably get a good set. If they go up against Modest Mouse or Yeah Yeah Yeahs, then they'll likely get a lesser crowd, though it's going to be a larger crowd than Pavement. That was just another lesser mistake. One of my favorite main stage sets ever, as well.
    Dont you get tired posting pish on this thread?
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post
    Dont you get tired posting pish on this thread?
    This is the only thread about a band playing this year who has fans willing to argue for the band, and people who don't care for them. If there were any other band/thread like this going on right now, I would most certainly be there instead of here. Apologies to your fanaticism, but no one gives half a rotting rats ass either way.

JIMMY PAGE said: “The best thing I heard this year was The Stone Roses at Hoxton Hall. Their set just kept building and building. I got the sense of how they could inspire a generation of musicians.”

I wouldn't ague with a legend like Page...maybe you would..but come on now. who's listening?

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

Quote Originally Posted by SPX_clothing View Post
    Backlash? the only "backlash" is from a bunch of Coachella newbies! Fuck em all! We are stoked for the Stone Roses and have been waiting for this for years!
    Yeah, this.

The Stone Roses backlash is completely fucking weird. I'm not that old. I'm 30. Every single music dork I know in real life, aged 25 to late 50's, knows The Stone Roses and understands the rare opportunity to see them.

The only explanation for the backlash is ignorance. It's like, these young kids, they can't fathom there is something important they haven't heard of by the time they're 22.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.

im interested to hear them. but two albums? come the fuck on.

Dude, reading these kids' posts makes me feel fucking old, I'm 35. I think I've been to enough gigs in my lifetime to decipher through the tried and true. The Stone Roses are the real deal. The best musicians in their generation..Mani, Squire, Reni and though admittedly off key Ian Brown... when at his best sounds like a goddamn angel.

I will say this about the eponymous debut album 'The Stone Roses'. Bands try to make an album this great their entire career. The Roses did it with their first. Their position in music royalty is well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    Yeah, this.

The Stone Roses backlash is completely fucking weird. I'm not that old. I'm 30. Every single music dork I know in real life, aged 25 to late 50's, knows The Stone Roses and understands the rare opportunity to see them.

The only explanation for the backlash is ignorance. It's like, these young kids, they can't fathom there is something important they haven't heard of by the time they're 22.