Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

I thought they sounded ace weekend 2 and Ian was on form, sounded better than Heaton Park last year although I was much closer this time

all this and no one has mentioned the wonder of seeing this brigadoon of bands in a desert a mere few days after the death of margaret thatcher. she was truly and ironically the inspiration for a lot a great reactionary art.

I was in the front for them on Week 1. They nailed it, an epic performance, so deserving of a headlining gig. I am sad some reviews say they were sparsely attended. It seemed packed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I was in the front for them on Week 1. They nailed it, an epic performance, so deserving of a headlining gig. I am sad some reviews say they were sparsely attended. It seemed packed to me.
    You nailed it bro. All the reviewers and everyone else but you are involved in a massive conspiracy. There were actually 60,000 people at that set Week 1. Fucking packed all the way back to the do-lab. Bigger crowd than Dre or Radiohead last year. Fuck it, it was the biggest crowd in Coachella history.

Did you happen to see how packed Grinderman was too? Overflowing as far as the eye could see.

I agree. We were actually at weekend 1 and 2. For weekend one we were trapped behind the barrier on the vip/ left side of the crowd which kept us way back. While the crowd seemed way more mellow on week 1, it was still a large crowd. We were so far out that Ian and rest of the band appeared tiny to the huge main stage. So there were enough people there to keep us way out in the field. For weekend two we got there way early to make sure we could get close and made it up to about 10 feet/rows deep right in front. So stoked that made it up early this time, and figured out how to find our way around the barriers. Had to go all the way around to the right, and then in. We made it though. Amazing show! And yes the crowd had great energy! check it:
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post

CLASSIC!
    Last edited by SPX_clothing; 04-30-2013 at 05:29 PM.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Quote Originally Posted by SPX_clothing View Post
    We were so far out that Ian and rest of the band appeared tiny to the huge main stage. So there were enough people there to keep us way out in the field. For weekend two we got there way early to make sure we could get close and made it up to about 10 feet/rows deep right in front.
    What the fuck? Are you sure you were there? I was literally in the SECOND row almost dead center, and then moved out about 10 feet and then walked over by the right side screen...there was room EVERYWHERE. I could have done cartwheels and ran around in giant circles 25 feet from the stage and never touched anybody.

^^^^ What the fuck!? YES I WAS THERE BOTH WEEKENDS! SEE VIDEO ABOVE YOUR POST! DOES THAT LOOK LIKE YOU COULD DO "CARTWHELLS" THROUGH THE CROWD? FUCKING LIAR.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

^^^ Umm no. Dude was definitely right.

Was able to do Cartwheels. Lots of them. And then laid down flat to watch the show.

Walked by this set on my way out, just before close friday night. Was bummed by the turnout. I don't really get off on these guys, but I understand their legacy and respect them. That said, smallest friday night headlining set i've ever seen. For you white knights out there, it was completely empty behind the soundboard, really. Stop arguing, its not subjective.
    Last edited by themule; 05-06-2013 at 01:07 PM.
    feel my mother fucking bass in your face...sensually.

welp- who really fucking cares anyway? Coachella's smallest headlining crowd? It wasn't. However, maybe it was one of the smaller one's..all that really proves is "The masses gotta' be asses." I mean come on..you bring dre and snoop or hell even justin timberlake, sure there will be a big crowd, but that's pop music in the US. Big deal. There were enough people there to know that The Stone Roses were chosen because of their legacy. Paul T and the rest of Goldenvoice knows; and that's exactly why they made the choice. Coachella still is the premier Indie Fest in North America. Many are trying to follow on the coat tails, but none can compare when it comes to legendary acts and line-up's. More is to be said about the quality of music and the quantity of the people watching. Everybody still in an uproar about the size of the headliners crowd need to look past that. It not about just the size..ok? Jeez. The video below shows the entire show taken from behind the 2nd barrier to the left of the stage. The is another entire section behind the person who used the top of the 2nd barrier to film this. It's too bad it was taken from a low point of view. The fence is about 5 feet high. Good memories from both shows anyway.

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

Quote Originally Posted by themule View Post
    Walked by this set on my way out, just before close friday night. Was bummed by the turnout. I don't really get off on these guys, but I understand their legacy and respect them. That said, smallest friday night headlining set i've ever seen. For you white knights out there, it was completely empty behind the soundboard, really. Stop arguing, its not subjective.
    You're never going to convince the true believers. They're so emotionally invested in the SR being a "success" that they're willing to deny reality to pretend it's so. Not only was it completely empty behind the soundboard, but the area between the stage and the soundboard was only half full during the last half hour. No question it was the smallest crowd for a headliner in history. Not even close.

The only good things that came out of that booking were the massive ticket dump and tiny main stage crowd with resulting embarrassment for GV, which guaranteed that no other American festival ever puts them near the top of a poster again.

It's like talking to people neck deep in a pyramid scheme
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

old school

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...9QEwDA&dur=357

Here's an aerial photo of the evening crowd during Jack Johnson's set in 2008. Widely regarded the headliner with the smallest crowd prior to 2013. I recall Kings of Leon being only slightly better than JJ when I walked by - but they still had scattered fans hanging out by the sound relay towers.

Roses only WISH they drew the same sized crowd as JJ. SR were my #1 priority that entire weekend. During their set watching the screen it was obvious the director was given instructions to go VERY skimpy on any crowd shots.

Crowd size doesn't both me, but impossible to deny. I saw Bowie in 2002 at a venue that was 2/3rds empty. It's still my opinion that the crowd size for SR says more about the audience GV now sell tickets to rather than the band or the promoters.

Why are people still arguing about this? Obviously GV just did it so they could have The Stones Roses play Coachella, end of story. GV didn't care how much of a crowd SR would draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

eh mr. handy- who the fuck are you to say any band was a "success" or in your pathetic ongoing obsession a failure? I mean fuck off man. I doubt you have been to every Coachella to even know. I have. This was not the smallest headlining crowd. If you would have been at 99' or even the 1st 4 years you would understand. But you weren't there, so shut the fock up! Some of us loved the show. Even if the crowd was big or small. ok mr hand? Now-deal with it. We had a good time. Actually a fantastic time! That is what matters. Unless you are on the Coachella/ GV pay roll your stupid argument may be heard or maybe not, but guess what? Coachella will sell out yet again next year, and they will keep booking musically important and relevant bands. They did not get to where they are now, by doing anything but that.

QUOTE=mrhand;2739881]You're never going to convince the true believers. They're so emotionally invested in the SR being a "success" that they're willing to deny reality to pretend it's so. Not only was it completely empty behind the soundboard, but the area between the stage and the soundboard was only half full during the last half hour. No question it was the smallest crowd for a headliner in history. Not even close.

The only good things that came out of that booking were the massive ticket dump and tiny main stage crowd with resulting embarrassment for GV, which guaranteed that no other American festival ever puts them near the top of a poster again.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by SPX_clothing; 05-07-2013 at 09:15 PM.

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Why are people still arguing about this? Obviously GV just did it so they could have The Stones Roses play Coachella, end of story. GV didn't care how much of a crowd SR would draw.
    This ^. And I will be eternally grateful to GV for it. Fantastic booking. For all the bitching about the size of the crowd, it's getting overlooked that SR/Blur double play delivered the best headlining set of the 2013 festival.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

/\ /\
    Not saying much considering the competition
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

AMEN SON
    Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    This ^. And I will be eternally grateful to GV for it. Fantastic booking. For all the bitching about the size of the crowd, it's getting overlooked that SR/Blur double play delivered the best headlining set of the 2013 festival.

GOOD TIMES

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

old school

This was not the smallest headlining crowd. If you would have been at 99' or even the 1st 4 years you would understand. But you weren't there, so shut the fock up! Some of us loved the show.
    I'm come to appreciate the SR booking and the music onstage, but I still think it's silly to make this claim. Even with only 10,000 paid attendees the first year, I bet both headliners and all 3 subheadliners drew bigger crowds than SR. There is video on youtube of the sets by Pavement*(billed 4th on their day), Tool, Morrissey, RATM sets to back my claim. All proshot save tool with views of the crowd. Even semi-pro footage of the 1999 cameo of Beck in the dance tent shows a crowd possibly bigger than the SRs.

99 Tool/Beck(headliners).......RATM/Chem Bros/Morrissey(subs)
    01 Jane's "reunion show"
    02 Bjork/Oasis
    03 RHCP/Beasties

Who's your candidate for top liner with the crowd smaller than SRs?

(*)I admit this could be argued either way, but I still think their train wreck had a slightly bigger audience.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 05-09-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    It's like talking to people neck deep in a pyramid scheme

Except I feel like I'm one of the ones at the top with my money off the table and the checks keep pouring in.

I got to see the fucking Stone Roses at Coachella. Up close.

And I really don't care how many other people shared the experience. Or if Goldenvoice has egg on his face.

For me, this makes up for the last few years of Rap-chella headliners for which I could not give two shits about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I'm come to appreciate the SR booking and the music onstage, but I still think it's silly to make this claim. Even with only 10,000 paid attendees the first year, I bet both headliners and all 3 subheadliners drew bigger crowds than SR. There is video on youtube of the sets by Pavement*(billed 4th on their day), Tool, Morrissey, RATM sets to back my claim. All proshot save tool with views of the crowd. Even semi-pro footage of the 1999 cameo of Beck in the dance tent shows a crowd possibly bigger than the SRs.

99 Tool/Beck(headliners).......RATM/Chem Bros/Morrissey(subs)
    01 Jane's "reunion show"
    02 Bjork/Oasis
    03 RHCP/Beasties

Who's your candidate for top liner with the crowd smaller than SRs?

(*)I admit this could be argued either way, but I still think their train wreck had a slightly bigger audience.
    Who gives a fuck?
    Seriously let it go

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Who gives a fuck?
    Seriously let it go
    It also barely makes any fucking sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Amen!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Who gives a fuck?
    Seriously let it go

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

This band is fucking terrible.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

^ Listen hard to these lyrics Devin the Dick ^

they were made just for you.

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

SPX this band is shit , give it up .
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

^So not even close to being true.... If you understood music history at all you would understand, but you don't and that's ok. You can stay in your newschool edm disco bubble all ya want. But Goldenvoice knows!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com

I think it would be better overall if you weren't so adamant about it.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

^So not even close to being true.... If you understood music history at all you would understand, but you don't and that's ok. You can stay in your newschool edm disco bubble all ya want. But Goldenvoice knows!

sadly most people don't understand anything about music history..old music to a lot of people is like the strokes..pointless to even argue with people who don't listen to any old music..their opinions mean nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

I wish I could go back to this night (wkd 2). I don't think there's a day that's gone by where I haven't thought about how fucking happy I was during this set.