Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Quote Originally Posted by SPX_clothing View Post
    JIMMY PAGE said: “The best thing I heard this year was The Stone Roses at Hoxton Hall. Their set just kept building and building. I got the sense of how they could inspire a generation of musicians.”

I wouldn't ague with a legend like Page...maybe you would..but come on now. who's listening?
    dude, i gotta give you credit for fighting this fight to the bitter end. your commitment is unmatched.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Whoever felt inspired or romantic or foreign with Nirvana? Just a bunch of monkies wanting to jump on top of each other. If they were around now playing live it would be embarrassing. I wouldn't care if I never heard them again.
    Exactly. Back when all the kids were screaming about Nirvana, I would blast them with Killing Joke records to get them to shut the fuck up.

The Stone Roses are gonna kill it and Ian's gonna work the crowd. I've been waiting many years for this!

Damn stroked for all the debut album tracks but threw Second Coming in car stereo for first time in years and was floored by how much I enjoyed it. Doesnt have the magic of the first album but the Zepplin esque riffage is fantastic. Hope they play more than just 10 story love song and Love Spreads off of it.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Only morons who don't know a damn thing about alternative music are confused about the Roses headlining.

Just to give a bit of context, I'm 23 and the band are one of the main reasons I bought a Coachella pass this year. This will be my first 'Chella ever. And I'm fucking stoked.

I'll see you gents and ladies on Friday, Weekend 2. We are going to have a magical time.

Quote Originally Posted by darklands View Post
    I like all 3 bands you mentioned but are any big enough to headline an American festival in all seriousness? I don't understand how Coachella had the nerve to book the Stone Roses to headline without expecting a backlash. I am trying to think of a similar thing happening over here for the reading festival for example. If they booked the original Lemonheads line up to headline they wouldn't get away with it. Even though that would be a massive improvement on the awful Biffy Clyro.
    This argument is fucking retarded. The Stone Roses are headlining because with Lou Reed out their debut album from which eighty percent of their set is going to come is The single best album from any act in the entire 2013 lineup from which songs will be played. Period. End Of Discussion. The resistance to this act on this board is comical. Particularly from the HTDA crowd (I have that album too, not special) but hey if the light show matters more than the music by all means go to HTDA Instead.
    The Replacements - Bryan Ferry - Outkast - The Knife - Dum Dum Girls - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Broken Bells - Haim - Neko Case - Jagwar Ma - Goat - Waxahatchee

Queens Of The Stone Age - Pet Shop Boys - Chvrches - Mogwai - Warpaint - Washed Out - Future Islands - Ty Seagall - Darkside - Foxygen

Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Superchunk - Arcade Fire - Bombino - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Pavement got screwed in 2010....their reunion should have been bigger than it was (it was probably a year or two late also), but they should not have been put against Phoenix/Thom Yorke....main stage should have gone something like Yorke(sunset) > Pavement > Gorillaz. Oh well.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    dude, i gotta give you credit for fighting this fight to the bitter end. your commitment is unmatched.
    He's drudging up some bullshit Page citation that he used from ten pages back. It's cool that Stone Roses fans really believe in this band, despite every one of you claiming the vocals are garbage. Not sure what 20-50 year olds you guys know who give half a shit about the Stone Roses, but they're not going to be at Weekend 1. That's what's up, kits. There will be a crowd for their show, of course, or they wouldn't be booked, but I think the fans are going to be sort of surprised at what they get. Set times?

"wheres ze swedish house mafiiaaaa, tiessto closah? Ze Deadmau5 should be on ze big stage after ze stone roses"

Quote Originally Posted by jazzz View Post
    Exactly. Back when all the kids were screaming about Nirvana, I would blast them with Killing Joke records to get them to shut the fuck up.

The Stone Roses are gonna kill it and Ian's gonna work the crowd. I've been waiting many years for this!
    Yeah man, you're so cool for playing Killing Joke....

Wait, jazzz is a guy? I still would I guess.
    The pilgrimage is not perfected save by copulation with the camel.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Yeah man, you're so cool for playing Killing Joke....
    Yeah and Nirvana was so cool for clearly nicking from Killing Joke.

So excited. You all argue too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Quote Originally Posted by CiderMouseRules View Post
    Yeah, this.

The Stone Roses backlash is completely fucking weird. I'm not that old. I'm 30. Every single music dork I know in real life, aged 25 to late 50's, knows The Stone Roses and understands the rare opportunity to see them.

The only explanation for the backlash is ignorance. It's like, these young kids, they can't fathom there is something important they haven't heard of by the time they're 22.
    WTF? Like you even "know about Coachella anyway! You are just another newbie kid. A novice to The coachella scene. Probably drawn in to this fest in the last 2 or 3 years at the most. You are one of the many who have flooded in here when the top 40 rap shit started up with K-west and Jay z. Don't try to pretend your newbie opinions about "what you think coachella should be means shit at all. There will be more than plenty of fans there to see Stone Roses and Blur. and again who the fuck cares about " next years pre-sale" anyway? Like you are the chief marketing guy for Coachella? It was AEG who started fucking Coachella up anyway. Goldenvoice is known as a Mod and Punk Rock promoter. Do some homework son, and wise up. You don't know shit.
    Backlash? the only "backlash" is from a bunch of Coachella newbies! Fuck em all! We are stoked for the Stone Roses and have been waiting for this for years!
    I grew up in La Quinta and have been going to coachella for years. The stone roses would have been a GREAT choice to headline the outdoor stage. I think the overwhelming sentiment from every one besides a niche group of british alt rock die hards is that they simply are not headline caliber for coachella. I would have much rather seen The Prodigy, Eric Pyrdz (booked higher), Bassnectar (booked higher), Neil Young, David Bowie, Eminem, rolling stones, Tool, A perfect circle, plastikman or countless others. I feel like all of those artists would have more draw and be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    grohl might be the best drummer of all tiime holy shit
    so much face palm.
    Last edited by kayeM; 04-08-2013 at 01:29 PM.

I have gone every single year. My family also had a house at La quinta, my entire life. Haven't all you figured out yet that Goldenvoice made the decision for Stone Roses and Blur to make a statement. They are getting back to their roots for Coachella. the simple fact is they have always been tied into the Brit scene, punk rock, and mod/ new wave scenes. this is a big reason why Coachella was such a unique festival. It's only when this fest got tainted with AEG's quest to "sell out" and start booking all the Top hip hop top 40 junk, that it brought this new type of demographic crowd into the forefront. Many of these kids have no clue about the history of Goldenvoice, or the early years of The Coachella Music Fest. It was not made legend by top 40 acts that you can see at some power 106 concert. Goldenvoice knows exactly what they are doing here, and what direction they want for the future. The Stone Roses have earned their top billing here, and there are plenty of people here who couldn't give two shit's about the new disco edm- daft junk, Eminen or Kaeneen West. (Still don't know how to spell that clowns name) But you get the picture. Coachella knows what's best for Coachella! Trust em. They just locked in another 20 year contract with the polo grounds and the city of Indio. So to sum it all up, so stoked right now! This is the one!

Last edited by SPX_clothing; 04-08-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

4 more days until the Roses melt so much face that all of the naysayers' heads explode. Super ready for this right now.

I have gone every single year. My family also had a house at La quinta, my entire life. Haven't all you figured out yet that Goldenvoice made the decision for Stone Roses and Blur to make a statement. They are getting back to their roots for Coachella. the simple fact is they have always been tied into the Brit scene, punk rock, and mod/ new wave scenes. this is a big reason why Coachella was such a unique festival. It's only when this fest got tainted with AEG's quest to "sell out" and start booking all the Top hip hop top 40 junk, that it brought this new type of demographic crowd into the forefront. Many of these kids have no clue about the history of Goldenvoice, or the early years of The Coachella Music Fest. It was not made legend by top 40 acts that you can see at some power 106 concert. Goldenvoice knows exactly what they are doing here, and what direction they want for the future. The Stone Roses have earned their top billing here, and there are plenty of people here who couldn't give two shit's about the new disco edm- daft junk, Eminen or Kaeneen West. (Still don't know how to spell that clowns name) But you get the picture. Coachella knows what's best for Coachella! Trust em. They just locked in another 20 year contract with the polo grounds and the city of Indio. So to sum it all up, so stoked right now! This is the one!

I suppose time will tell whether the decision was a good one or not. I am glad coachella went back to their roots a bit as there are a lot more great undercard artists this year compared to the past few years imo. Last year felt more like EDC than it did coachella, but the headliners last year we strait up better (objectively) from a sales and demand perspective. This is the first coachella in recent memory where there is a surplus of coachella tickets on the secondary market with some going below face (opposed to people charging $1000 for tickets because demand was so high). The entire line up plays a factor but solid headliners really make or break a festival in terms of ticket sales. The stone roses may be your favorite band and I am really glad you get to see them, but if coachella's brand is diluted as a result and next years pre sale doesn't sell out as quickly, we will know this years line up is to blame. While there may be a rebranding aspect at play as you say, no festival promoter in their right might would ever do something that limits profitability.

Using other festivals like lolla or bonneroo as an example of what is headliner caliber is for coachella is wrong. Coachella has traditionally been a better festival for lots of reasons in the past. I do not want it to merely be on par with the others around the country or world. Coachella has the power to pull acts that other festivals wish they could get, reunite bands who were broken up, book bands who aren't on tour currently. This year that was not the case.

No, this year WAS that case.

I've been asking for the Stone Roses for YEARS. When they reunited last year, it was GV's duty to bring them here.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    No, this year WAS that case.
    Well for Friday anyway. Phoenix and especially RHCP are pretty lazy headline bookings, but Friday's is so much win that who gives a fuck.

Opinions are like assholes.... mine is that the Stone Roses are great, and are on my must see list this year.

Stop arguing, go have fun.

I really hope this is the Swedish mehfia crowd that's bailing and bitching over the Friday night headliners. Would really be the cherry on top of this year's lineup if they just didn't show up.

No it's just the American crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I've been asking for the Stone Roses for YEARS. When they reunited last year, it was GV's duty to bring them here.
    They can't headline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Perhaps the most influential UK acts of the last 25 years with the classic lineup making their stateside debut.

Not headline but i think it's on par or a bit bigger than Pulp. Not headliner but evening mainstage.

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...16-STONE-ROSES

even before they were booked you guys didnt think they would be headliner caliber

I had no idea they would headline. I really didn't think they would. But I am giddy that they are because LONGER SET LIST. W00T.

I had no idea they would headline. I really didn't think they would. But I am giddy that they are because LONGER SET LIST. W00T.
    perhaps because deep down you know that while they are one of your favorite bands, coachella normally picks an artist with more mass appeal as a headliner?

Quote Originally Posted by kayeM View Post
    This is the first coachella in recent memory where there is a surplus of coachella tickets on the secondary market with some going below face (opposed to people charging $1000 for tickets because demand was so high). The entire line up plays a factor but solid headliners really make or break a festival in terms of ticket sales. If coachella's brand is diluted as a result and next years pre sale doesn't sell out as quickly, we will know this years line up is to blame. While there may be a rebranding aspect at play as you say, no festival promoter in their right might would ever do something that limits profitability.
    Goldenvoice made more on ticket sales this year than any year in the past

The only place where they would take a hit is if fewer people show up who spend less money. Considering that tickets are under face right now, this means that a) people will have more to spend inside and b) the festival is available to a whole new set of people who couldn’t afford it in the past. As far as lowering the demand for pre-sale next year, sounds good to me.

As for their brand being diluted, I see this lineup as a strong message that they felt their brand was being badly diluted by the EDC crowd that would, long term, hurt their profitability. The older veteran crowd has more and spends significantly more money at Coachella so by crafting the lineup to them they bring many of those back that jumped ship in the last 2 years. By going back to their old ways, they are in essence saving the Coachella brand.
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Quote Originally Posted by ELECtROjan View Post
    Goldenvoice made more on ticket sales this year than any year in the past

The only place where they would take a hit is if fewer people show up who spend less money. Considering that tickets are under face right now, this means that a) people will have more to spend inside and b) the festival is available to a whole new set of people who couldn’t afford it in the past. As far as lowering the demand for pre-sale next year, sounds good to me.

As for their brand being diluted, I see this lineup as a strong message that they felt their brand was being badly diluted by the EDC crowd that would, long term, hurt their profitability. The older veteran crowd has more and spends significantly more money at Coachella so by crafting the lineup to them they bring many of those back that jumped ship in the last 2 years. By going back to their old ways, they are in essence saving the Coachella brand.
    only because the festival practically sold out in presale and people bought them up since it has sold out in past years. The true test is demand for coachella presale for 2014 before the line up is out.

your argument is so flawed. It is astounding how you are trying to argue that weak demand for the festival can be a good thing. The main audience for music festivals is roughly 20-33 years old. Older people tend to go to less music festivals and concerts. Unless you want it to turn into Geezerchella and have gradually declining ticket sales (lower ticket sales = less budget for artists) they need to stay current and market to their main demographic. I agree that maintaining their brand as a festival that books more obscure and artistic acts and not the super mainstream ones is a good idea but not at the expense of lost revenue.

Stone Roses fans:

1. Think that bagging on Nirvana actually increases their credibility on matters of music rather than destroying it.

2. Believe that the massive ticket dump, steep plummet in demand, and tickets going for $100-150 under face value is actually GOOD for Golden Voice and Coachella rather than a massive disappointment.

Real fucking sharp, you lot are.

But hey, at least you'll be able to cry like pre-teen Bieber fans come Friday night. Keep those chins up and don't miss the Ian jizz!

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Stone Roses fans:

1. Think that bagging on Nirvana actually increases their credibility on matters of music rather than destroying it.

2. Believe that the massive ticket dump, steep plummet in demand, and tickets going for $100-150 under face value is actually GOOD for Golden Voice and Coachella rather than a massive disappointment.

Real fucking sharp, you lot are.

But hey, at least you'll be able to cry like pre-teen Bieber fans come Friday night. Keep those chins up and don't miss the Ian jizz!

Its not a disappointment, its just what you would think it would be.

You don't release a poster with these headliners and expect demand to be what it was last year. GV had to know that going in, and the lineup delay had to be due to discussions with other acts falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    Its not a disappointment, its just what you would think it would be.

You don't release a poster with these headliners and expect demand to be what it was last year. GV had to know that going in, and the lineup delay had to be due to discussions with other acts falling apart.
    rolling stones....