Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

is there a group of brits running around posting in giant font or is it the same guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Are people still wondering why these guys are headlining? The same videos have been posted for 8 pages now...you either get it or you dont.

Stone roses song for today is - The Hardest Thing in the World.

I'm on a tightrope baby, nine miles high.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby77 View Post
    I went to Heaton Park last June and it was by far the best event I have ever been too. The Stone Roses were absolutely amazing and will blow everyone away at Coachella, mark my words guys you are all in for a real treat![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Although, I'd be happy if Mani picked a different shirt - shocker
    Dede' Arneaux
    Come a long long, come a long long way

I've been playing their first album a lot in my car so my kids will get used to it, and my younger daughter has started singing along. Success!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I've been playing their first album a lot in my car so my kids will get used to it, and my younger daughter has started singing along. Success!
    Next step - get them on passion fruit and holy bread for breakfast

........Fill my guts and ease my head
    Dede' Arneaux

Oh by the way for those of you that think that the crowd will be smaller for the Stone Roses, you have no idea what you are talking about. The crowd will be HUGE and rowdy. Take a look around on Friday and see how many Stone Roses t-shirts there will be on fans, No joke they have a very large and dedicated fan base.
    Last edited by SPX_clothing; 02-12-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Get them going on Second Coming. You'll know you've won when you've got them singing "the Messiah is my sister, ain't no king man, she's my queen".
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by SPX_clothing View Post
    Oh by the way for those of you that think that the crowd will be smaller for the Stone Roses, you have no idea what you are talking about. The crowd will be HUGE and rowdy. Take a look around on Friday and see how many Stone Roses t-shirts there will be on fans, No joke they have a very large and dedicated fan base.
    Wonder how many people will be wearing the famous money shirt Ian used to wear? Always wanted one myself, but was never willing to pay the inflated prices they go for.

old school

My friend and I are planning some SR shirts to wear on Friday, BUT....

8-9,000+ tickets currently left for the 17-18,000 arena show in Mexico, their only other North American show.

http://www.ticketmaster.com.mx/event...minorcatid=826

Pulp and Arctic Monkeys each did twice as well in the same venue.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 02-12-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Props on the SR shirts! You will see them everywhere on both Friday's! In regards to the Mexico show, I'm sure there will be more tickets sold, and may or may not sell out. There is still alot of time left before the show right? You also gotta realize it's Mexico man...They are not exactly in the best of times down there..Money is very tight with most in good ole' Mex..but I still think the word will get out despite the dire economics of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    My friend and I are planning some SR shirts to wear on Friday, BUT....

8-9,000+ tickets currently left for the 17-18,000 arena show in Mexico, their only other North American show.

http://www.ticketmaster.com.mx/event...minorcatid=826

Pulp and Arctic Monkeys each did twice as well in the same venue.
    Coachella 99' 01',02',03',04',05',06',07',08',09',10',11',12',13 ' and counting!!!

SPX clothing
    "We ride skis."

www.skipunx.com
    www.facebook.com/SPX.clothing
    www.myspace.com/spxclothing

I have another Roses classic for you all today.

The Stone Roses - Made Of Stone

SPX_clothing - Yesterday 12:23 PM View Conversation Report
    Hey- Why did you put a huge ass picture of Jack Johnson on the Stone Roses thread? WTF
    Lol

Yes! I've loved these guys since I was like 12, I heard Elephant Stone and I was hooked. and I'm coming this year because I don't think I'll ever get a chance to see them and New Order and Social D with WuTang, Passion Pit, the lineup is crazy awesome-thanks to whoever thought this up!

Another classic from the old days!

The Stone Roses - Going Down

Wow amazing, it's about time the Stone Roses headlined in the USA. I for one can't wait, waterfall is my favorite song of all time.

Put on some nice and basey headphones turn the volume to full blast and listen to this beast of a song.

Just listened to Waterfall again, it's an absolute monster of a song, music perfection!!!

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Let's just say they're no Caifanes.

The Stone Roses - Something's Burning.

Dude, let me be honest, I'm only 14 and every radio DJ I call up, they are so amazed I know all these bands. They think it's amazing that I listen to this rather than mainstream stuff, no Nicki Minaj or LMFAO or any other shit. I guess I'm blessed by my parents for my great taste in music. Anyways, I'm stoaked for The Stone Roses more than anything. No Chilis or Phoenix, even though I may wanna check them out for a bit, man, I'm gonna want to be up front for The Stone Roses's set. I don't care if i'm a bit claustrophobic or how many sets I miss, I'm gonna be up front from beginning to end. I'm gonna spend a ton of money to buy their remastered album and dig out some old tapes and play this all the way to Indio. Dude, I nearly can't wait, even though it's 2 months away!
    See ya guys at Coachella 2013, Bros!! View my day job at https://github.com/sharksfan98

Just wanted to add my two-penneth to the Stone Roses debate, seeing as according to this topic they are either the greatest band ever or a bunch of nameless no-marks. I haven't read all of the thread, but towards the start the question was posed: why didn't they make it big in the USA?

I'm a 31 year old Brit with, I like to think, a pretty extensive music collection, and an open-minded approach to new bands and new genres. I've also been a music reviewer/reporter in the UK (only in uni) and, perhaps crucially, lived in the US during the tail-end of Britpop, as well as the trance and garage scene, which was massive in Europe but was called "electronica" in the US and bombed.

I think you can measure how truly great a band is when you go to Virgin Megastore in the UK and Virgin Megastore in the US (in the 90's remember...), go to "rock/pop", start at "A", and just scroll through and check for gaps. What I mean by that is, if you live in the UK and are a big fan of just scrolling through the racks of CDs from A-to-Z, you get used to seeing the same CDs in the same place. Go from the UK to the US and do the same and there are gaps. For example, under "P" in the US, there was a gap where Pulp should be. There were no Pulp CDs in the US that I could see. Not in a mainstream shop anyways. Likewise, there was no Travis, no Manic Street Preachers, no Take That, no Skunk Anansie, no Sleeper, no Space. There was very little Oasis, hardly any Blur, some Radiohead, and if you looked hard enough you could find some Massive Attack.

Similarly, as a Brit unfamiliar with the "US A-to-Z", there were loads of albums by bands like Phish, Live, Weezer, Mercury Rev, and Dave Matthews. "Buddy Holly" aside, these bands just did not exist in the UK. Before the Internet came along and shrunk the world, the gaps were a good barometer of worldwide popularity. Not foolproof, but pretty robust way of measuring success. But there can be anomalies.

Regarding the Stone Roses, you couldn't find a sausage from them on any shelf in any music store in the US. But like I said, there are anomalies.

So to answer the question: why didn't they make it big in the US? In terms of influence, they were as influential to British bands as Nirvana were to US bands, but Nirvana were massive in the UK too. So what happened?

I think the fact that their first album came out of nowhere, on a tiny label, sounding like nothing else before it, was their biggest downfall. If their first album had been of the quality of "Second Coming", so that bigger labels with more money and worldwide influence sat up and took notice, and THEN they released they debut a year or so afterwards, I honestly think they would have become a huge global band. They, much in the same vain as Neutral Milk Hotel, released an album of staggering quality and originality on a label without the means to promote it. And then they split.

But it surprises me they are headlining Coachella. In England we have a saying, "they've improved in their absence" (usually applied to injured footballers, but it works here too). They released a brilliant, brilliant debut and followed it up with substandard albums. If they had never split up then they would never be headlining Coachella. Instead they'd be viewed a bit like Oasis: relevant once, irrelevant now. Living off a brilliant debut album.

But they are going to play a greatest hits set at Coachella, and it's going to be absolutely brilliant, because the songs that they released that were so far ahead of their time were brilliant. I Wanna Be Adored, Waterfall, Made Of Stone, Fools Gold, I Am The Resurrection... just phenomenal.

Go to Amazon and buy their greatest hits album. It's got 15 tracks on it, and I will be flabbergasted if those 15 songs, probably in that very running order, does not become their set at Coachella.

I'm surprised, but so will you be, especially if you've barely heard of them.
    Last edited by BoyoUK; 02-17-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Dude I am not reading all of that. Can you pls summarize in a couple sentences? kthx
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by BoyoUK View Post
    So to answer the question: why didn't they make it big in the US? In terms of influence, they were as influential to British bands as Nirvana were to US bands, but Nirvana were massive in the UK too. So what happened?
    In late summer 1990 they disappeared in a fog of litigation and therefore they never toured america - that's it.
    This was only 15 or so months after 'The Stone Roses' was released.

The Second Coming was 4 and a half very empty years later. 4 months later Reni left - the beginning of the end.

The Roses have not become better with absence. They were always brilliant. They just never held it together long enough for america to notice.
    Dede' Arneaux

Dede' Arneaux

Quote Originally Posted by Dede' Arneaux View Post
    In late summer 1990 they disappeared in a fog of litigation and therefore they never toured america - that's it.
    This was only 15 or so months after 'The Stone Roses' was released.

The Second Coming was 4 and a half very empty years later. 4 months later Reni left - the beginning of the end.

The Roses have not become better with absence. They were always brilliant. They just never held it together long enough for america to notice.
    You're fucking dreaming. If something is worth hearing, it will jump coasts. Especially if it has a good push start. This hard luck story you fucks keep crying about only verifies how weak of a headliner the band is. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Dude I am not reading all of that. Can you pls summarize in a couple sentences? kthx
    Brit is a bit surprised that Stone Roses are headlining; offers the reason that they released their classic debut album on a penniless label so they didn't have the money to take it to the US; by the time they did have the money to promote their albums Stateside the albums were not that good; then they split; remembered very fondly due to long absence and clear influence over much of the British music scene; you're really going to enjoy their set anyway because their songs are brilliant, even though they are a surprise headliner.

^ That's better, thanks. We Yanks have the attention span of a gnat.

I've seen Stone Roses live before. Although I have some mixed feelings about that performance from the mid-90s, I'm confident their Coachella set will be among the best of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    If something is worth hearing, it will jump coasts.
    Try telling Rodriguez that.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Thanks to everyone for putting up some Stone Roses tunes

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Try telling Rodriguez that.
    Some things weren't meant to jump coasts. I honestly think most of the shit coming out of the states should stay in the states before it spreads and ruins music everywhere. I do tolerate it, but I understand how horrible it is. How would the modern hipster survive without bands like these?