Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Quote Originally Posted by alternapop View Post
    Catherine Wheel
    My favorite band.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I am happy that there are so many people that are excited to see this band.

I'm having a hard time understanding why they are relevant today and deserve to be on the main stage when there are other modern bands that could have taken the lead. Please don't misunderstand, I can appreciate that they are good, and I remember listening to them back in the '90s - but they really were not one of the bands that I could say defined the decade for me. (Tool, The Cure, The Smiths, Soundgarden, Peal Jam, Alice in Chains).

Why not bring a band like Jane's Addiction in....at least they have a newer album, and in my opinion, they had many more influential songs. Perhaps Coachella is afraid to have a show with both Jane's and the Chili Peppers?

Something in me thinks that this band was added to satisfy the promoters. I mean, they knew that this was going to sell out anyway.....so why not bring in somebody that they always wanted to hear 20 years ago but didn't have the chance to. Seems rather self gratifying to me.

I can appreciate that many people are excited....but I think that this band should be on one of the side stages or playing in the afternoon. Not headlining.

The good news......I don't have to worry about watching the headliner when the other bands that I want to see are booked at the same time (i.e. The Black Keys and M83 last year).
    They heard me singing and they told me to STOP.

The Stone Roses as their full band (with the best members anyway) never played in the US. This is the first US of an extremely rare, extremely awesome band. END STORY. I hope this Coachella appearance brings them the $$$, and I hope I can catch them on their regular US tour that follows.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brewersblue View Post
    I just watched this yesterday and thought it was awesome. It sucks that such an influential and important band was doomed by bad contracts and a shitty manager.
    Or you could just admit that most people in the United States who were aware of their music at the time thought it was total garbage, so it never had a chance, as people typically don't like listening to f----sh garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post

I'm having a hard time understanding why they are relevant today and deserve to be on the main stage when there are other modern bands that could have taken the lead. Please don't misunderstand, I can appreciate that they are good, and I remember listening to them back in the '90s - but they really were not one of the bands that I could say defined the decade for me. (Tool, The Cure, The Smiths, Soundgarden, Peal Jam, Alice in Chains).

Why not bring a band like Jane's Addiction in....at least they have a newer album, and in my opinion, they had many more influential songs. Perhaps Coachella is afraid to have a show with both Jane's and the Chili Peppers?

Something in me thinks that this band was added to satisfy the promoters. I mean, they knew that this was going to sell out anyway.....so why not bring in somebody that they always wanted to hear 20 years ago but didn't have the chance to. Seems rather self gratifying to me.

I can appreciate that many people are excited....but I think that this band should be on one of the side stages or playing in the afternoon. Not headlining.

The good news......I don't have to worry about watching the headliner when the other bands that I want to see are booked at the same time (i.e. The Black Keys and M83 last year).
    Speaking as one of the biggest Jane's fans on the planet, that band is a shadow of it's former self. Blame it on them getting clean, having kids or whatever, but Janes is now a sterile, (albeit very technically competent) band lacking any edge or danger.

One has to wonder why Eric Avery passed up a HUGE payday when he left the lastest reunion.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Or you could just admit that most people in the United States who were aware of their music at the time thought it was total garbage, so it never had a chance, as people typically don't like listening to f----sh garbage.
    Name a single act that made a dent in the US without setting foot in the country at the height of their career.

There's a couple non-rock acts that did next to no touring, but they traveled for promo. Mariah, Kate Bush, Nilsson, Enya, Scott Walker, XTC etc..

There's a whole lot of ignorance and revisionist history floating around in this thread. Two points:

1) The Stone Roses are undeniably important – essential, even – in the history of British music. But the band was hardly an obscurity to people in the States who knew good music in the late 80's/early 90's. I grew up in the middle of nowhere Ohio, and I was 16 when the band released their debut album in 1989. This was obviously pre-Internet, so I didn't read about them on Pitchfork (which also didn't exist in 1989), and my family didn't have cable, so if the band were played on MTV, I didn't know about it. Our two radio stations played pop hits and classic rock, and the closest college station was just out of range and virtually unlistenable through the static, so I couldn't hear them on the radio. And it's not like the local drugstore carried Q or NME for me to read about them. All of this is to say that despite what amounted to a media blackout, I had somehow heard of the band and was looking forward to the release of their debut. They were getting press from someone big enough to reach me in Cow Country, which means it's fucking stupid to claim that the Stone Roses were somehow dredged out of the depths of an anglophile's wet dream by Coachella's promoters. They were (and are) a big deal to music fans of a certain age on both sides of the Atlantic – a reputation that's only growing with their reunion – and that cachet alone is reason enough to put them at the top of Friday's lineup.

2) One other whine that keeps coming up is that Coachella is "an American festival," and the Blur/Stone Roses bill is too British. This is an intellectually dishonest claim that's also fucking stupid. Coachella has always been Brit-heavy, both in headliners and the undercard. As a fan of British music – and as someone who's been attending the festival since 1999 – that's also been its biggest draw. I knew I could count on the festival's organizers to bring me a wide range of established and up-and-coming British acts that I might not be able to see elsewhere. That's been true every year, including this one. Hell, the festival itself was even conceived as an American version of English festivals like Glastonbury and Reading/Leeds. Coachella's indebtedness to England's music and festival culture has never been a secret, and the Blur/Stone Roses-headed lineup is just a natural extension of every single lineup that's come before.

No one's asking that the naysayers become overnight converts to the Stone Roses, but fuck off with all this nonsense about the band's supposed obscurity. If you haven't heard of them, that says more about you than it does about the festival. And fuck equally off with any claims that a festival that's brought us legions of British music – from Underworld and Spiritualized in 1999 through Alt-J and Palma Violets this year – should suddenly become primarily an outlet for American music. The fact that it doesn't traffic solely in American music is one of the reasons many of us love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

old school

Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post

Perry and Navarro can't even stand to be in the same room as one another and the show I saw in September illustrated that boldly. There's a 60 minute youtube interview with Eric Avery talking about why he split that is very interesting. He makes big $$$ as an employee for Alanis, Garbage etc...

It's probably the best album made in the UK not made by the Beatles. Playing a possibly exclusive and first ever show in the US. I'm sure this was a top 3 wishlist for goldenvoice in 2013 they had to chase down.

I am reminded of younger generations watching "groundbreaking" films from decades prior and wondering what the fuss is all about. Read up on the band some more and it will hit you more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    You were hedging on going JA, so are you going ....cr*****
    yea, thought about it, and decided Lou Reed and New Order were worth it.

Easily one of my favorite bands ever -- and their first album is probably my favorite of all time. So you can how disappointed I am that I'll miss Coachella this year. So hoping that they schedule a few more shows in the states (what are the chances?).

Thanks for this thread, btw. I can understand how some younger folks who don't spend a lot of time listening to music before their time wouldn't know much about the Stone Roses, but given their rarity and their influence--and that they are sharing top-billing with Blur--they fully deserve the headlining slot. And for those of you who think otherwise, let's just compare the brilliance of the Stone Roses to a few former Coachella headliners: Jack Johnson or The Killers. Enuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    If you have to explain why they are headlining, they aren't headline worthy.

The Stone Roses sold out all three nights of their reunion concerts - making them the fastest selling rock concerts in UK history. An astonishing 225,000 tickets was sold for the three mega-concerts at Heaton Park, Manchester. The first 150,000 tickets for the first two nights sold out in just 14 minutes after going on sale, the remaining 80, 000 tickets sold out shortly after.

The Stone Roses first album was named by the NME as the best British album of all time!

Click here to see the top ten best British albums of all time.
    Last edited by Kirby77; 02-01-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    The Stone Roses as their full band (with the best members anyway) never played in the US. This is the first US of an extremely rare, extremely awesome band. END STORY. I hope this Coachella appearance brings them the $$$, and I hope I can catch them on their regular US tour that follows.
    I definitely appreciate your sentiment but i don't think that makes them deserving of a headlining or co-headlining slot. I think this is a second-line band. I don't think they're terribly obscure. But what's done is done. I'm sure it will be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

We know the reason -- GV couldn't line up a normal first-tier band.

Listened to "I Wanna Be Adored" again on spotify....slowly growing on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014

just happy we get another great UK band where most the crowd(kids) are like "what the fuck"..pulp was awesome last year and this will be just as great!
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by gswhooper View Post
    Listened to "I Wanna Be Adored" again on spotify....slowly growing on me.
    I've listened to the first album hundreds of times, and although I like I Wanna Be Adored, it's not their best song. It's excellent as an opener, but it is just a lead in to the greatness that comes after with She Bangs The Drums, Bye Bye Badman and This Is the One. It is one of the few albums where I don't feel compelled to skip any one song.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by Foucault View Post
    Easily one of my favorite bands ever -- and their first album is probably my favorite of all time. So you can how disappointed I am that I'll miss Coachella this year. So hoping that they schedule a few more shows in the states (what are the chances?).

Thanks for this thread, btw. I can understand how some younger folks who don't spend a lot of time listening to music before their time wouldn't know much about the Stone Roses, but given their rarity and their influence--and that they are sharing top-billing with Blur--they fully deserve the headlining slot. And for those of you who think otherwise, let's just compare the brilliance of the Stone Roses to a few former Coachella headliners: Jack Johnson or The Killers. Enuff said.
    This makes me happy and sad all at the same time. So sorry you won't be there...and I don't even know you.

I've really started listening to them again (it's been a while since I've gave them a listen) and I'm really excited about this set. I must admit I've seen some live footage where they look like they're struggling to get through a set, but I think they'll bring it. I truly don't feel Paul T would have booked them as a (co?) headline if not. I just imagine their set with the lights and colored palm trees like Pulp last year. Completely magical.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Blackpool in the area. Full show here. Watch it as it's a classic.

I'm just getting into the Stone Roses and I really dig their first album. Watching this video, the music sounds great, but the lead singer sounds horrible. What the fuck? He doesn't sound like that on the record. And that vid was from 89? I can only imagine it's worse now.

This is on a whole nother level, Lynn. I like Pulp, but see first sentence.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    One other whine that keeps coming up is that Coachella is "an American festival," and the Blur/Stone Roses bill is too British.
    I find the lack of discussion on Blur concerning(couple youtube links and mention in the guitarist thread) and needing of a remedy. It also indicates why the Roses should play after Blur, since Blur going last might feel a bit anticlimactic(perhaps switching places on W2).

While I think the subject matter of the Roses lyrics to be quite universal, some of the Blur lyrics and subject matter are VERY British and are lost on even some of the most ardent north american anglophiles. Especially place names and class system references. Similar thing with a lot of the Kinks material.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    We know the reason -- GV couldn't line up a normal first-tier band.
    Io hint or rumours of that. If they landed a "big fish" it would have played on Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    I'm just getting into the Stone Roses and I really dig their first album. Watching this video, the music sounds great, but the lead singer sounds horrible. What the fuck? He doesn't sound like that on the record. And that vid was from 89? I can only imagine it's worse now.
    It's quite possible he's better now. Lot riding for them on this reunion. Back then, they were young, top of the world, and could have given two fucks. Ian was cocky (still is) and didn't give much thought to his live performance. I'm not saying it's intentional or excusing him. But I'll bet he sounds better at Coachella than he did when I saw them in the early 90s. Or at least a bit more focused.

And if I'm wrong? Well, I'll still be belting out Love Spreads at the top of my lungs. So Ian doesn't need to worry- I've been practicing. You lucky, lucky bitches.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    That's kind of the elephant (stone) in the room isn't it? What Ian Brown lacks in pitch perfection he more than makes up for in what we once called god-like stage presence but what we today call "SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG!" Look at the monkey man! Look at the crowd...this is dance music. I've yet to see them live, but those who have don't seem real concerned with him being off key.

Umm, excuse me Mr. Brown, I'm sorry to inform you and I'm sure you'll be absolutely gutted to hear this, but you will not be the next American Idolô. This isn't opera, it's rock n roll. Mariah Carey can carry a tune, but she's still shit. I think it's even become part of the charm. Live, I don't think we'll notice as much or I'm just not going to give a fuck because we'll all be singing along anyway.

I never thought I'd get to see this band and to get to see them before/after Blur makes it that much more insane. Someone said Blur has kind of been lost in the shuffle, which I couldn't agree with more. They too are one of the all-time great bands, with several albums full of essential tracks, which leaves me much more conflicted because there's just that many more songs that I want to hear but probably won't. With The Roses I figure we'll get a much higher percentage of those must hear tracks!

Here's a set list from V Festival in August, in case any of you new or old fans are wondering what might be played.

I Wanna Be Adored
    Mersey Paradise
    (Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister
    Sally Cinnamon
    Ten Storey Love Song
    Where Angels Play
    Shoot You Down
    Fools Gold
    Something's Burning
    Waterfall
    Don't Stop
    This Is the One
    Love Spreads
    Made Of Stone
    She Bangs The Drums
    Elizabeth My Dear
    I Am The Resurrection

Here's the one from Heaton Park in July

I Wanna Be Adored
    Mersey Paradise
    (Song for My) Sugar Spun Sister
    Sally Cinnamon
    Where Angels Play
    Shoot You Down
    Bye Bye Badman
    Ten Storey Love Song
    Standing Here
    Fools Gold
    Something's Burning
    Waterfall
    Don't Stop
    Love Spreads
    Made Of Stone
    This Is the One
    She Bangs The Drums
    Elizabeth My Dear
    I Am The Resurrection

I can't believe Elephant Stone is missing. I looked through all the set lists of all their shows since the reunion, not one where they did Elephant Stone. Ouch. They are pretty consistent and never changed the list up, if at all. I would really love to see: Going Down, and The Hardest Thing in the World. We can't have it all can we?

To all the new and old fans, what do you think? Almost a wet dream for me, if they don't play Elephant Stone, what about this one????

Full Fathom Five, B-side to Elephant Stone

PS. It's Elephant Stone played in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by mlant View Post
    stuff
    As long as they play Bye Bye Badman, I'll leave Coachella happy.

Cool Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Bye Bye Badman - The Stone Roses

Soak me to my skin
    Will you drown me in your sea
    Submission ends and i begin

Choke me smoke the air
    In this citrus sucking sunshine
    I donít care youíre not all there

Every backbone and heart you break
    Will still come back for more
    Submission ends it all

Here he come
    Got no question got no love
    Iím throwing stones at you man
    I want you black and blue and
    Iím gonna make you bleed
    Gonna bring you down to your knees

Bye bye badman
    Ooh bye bye

Choke me smoke the air
    In this citrus sucking sunshine
    I donít care youíre not all there

Youíve been bought and paid
    Youíre a whore and a slave
    Your dark star holy shrine
    Come taste the end youíre mine

Here he come
    Got no question got no love
    Iím throwing stones at you man
    I want you black and blue and
    Iím gonna make you bleed
    Gonna bring you down to your knees

Bye bye badman
    Ooh bye bye

Iíve got bad intention
    I intend to Knock you down
    These stones i throw
    Oh these French kisses
    Are the only way Iíve found

Iíve got bad intention
    I intend to knock you down
    These stones i throw
    Oh these French kisses
    Are the only way Iíve found

The Stone Roses - Shoot You Down

Sad to say this, but I had only heard of the Stone Roses till the lineup came out this year, and I gotta say, I'm sad I've been missing out all these years. I've been playing Shoot You Down on repeat for the past week. Real excited for this.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

Can't stand this fucking band. Almost as bad as Blur and the Smiths.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby77 View Post
    The Stone Roses - Shoot You Down

One song that far surpasses every song the Stone Roses has ever written/ played:

(Not sure why I haven't seen these guys at Coachella yet. Sort of disappointed in the fact. Campout, y'all!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    One song that far surpasses every song the Stone Roses has ever written/ played:
    Are you ever right about anything?