Page 1 of 34 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Default THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

One of the greatest bands of all time, who have blessed us with a reformation. There are many of us who see this as the pinnacle of the entire weekend, however there are just as many who have never even heard of this band who say, "Who the FUCK are The Stone Roses and why are they headlining?"
    I imagine this as a brief introduction to the uninitiated. Feel free to delve into their history, far too brief, perhaps that's why this is such a big deal, not many people ever really saw them. Then peak at who they've influenced and been influenced by, some of the greats, but really it's all about the tunes! That's why they're headlining.

If you'd like to get into them, I suggest getting their first album, 1989's eponymous The Stone Roses. (You can listen to the full US Version with that link)
    Put on a nice pair of headphones, light one up, pour your favorite drink, or just grab some friends and DANCE, but enjoy the ride. A Masterpiece.
    They were also a B-Side band, so make sure to check those out, I like Turns Into Stone.
    Their second and final album, Second Coming, is a change of direction and wasn't well received at the time, the bar was set so high, but there is much to like here, some big anthems and lots of groove.

Their first single from 1987:
    Sally Cinnamon (single mix)

"When I heard Sally Cinnamon for the first time, I knew what my destiny was." Noel Gallagher

She Bangs The Drums
    Maybe their biggest hit, still sounds so huge and fresh today.

Mersey Paradise
    B-Side of She Bangs the Drums, sung from the perspective of a man who drowns and murders a woman over unrequited love. Exquisite guitar work from John Squire, who also painted all cover art for albums and singles.

Elephant Stone 7" Version
    This is a non-album single which is included as track 3 on the US album. Euphoria in song form.

Ten Storey Love Song
    Off Second Coming, proper sing-a-long in the desert anthem. For all of us who've ever had our heartbroken, and tried to put the pieces back together, you'll enjoy this one.

I Am The Resurrection
    There are many ways to end an album, few can match this. (Fool's Gold 12" Version ends the US album) According to Mani, the bassist, the outro was recorded in a single take...incredible.

I'd like to offer a firm handshake to Goldenvoice for making this dream of mine come true.
    Madchester is coming to Indio!
    I can't wait for April! Who's with me??
    And to those who had never heard of the Stone Roses and have recently given them a listen because of curiosity or their headlining status, what do you think?
    Last edited by mlant; 02-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

YES YES YES! can't wait.

I was lucky enough to see them perform back in the '90s. It was at the Hollywood Palladium. I can't wait to see them again, in April. Very excited for this.

If you have to explain why they are headlining, they aren't headline worthy.

Classy intro and I'm liking what I hear. Gonna do some research on these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    or you're musically ignorant and need the guidance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

I get why they're headlining, and given that I still decide to go, will be watching their set. But I can't say I LOVE the band. I say the best thing about them is I never feel the need to skip a song when listening, but I also never feel the need to put any particular one on repeat either. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by SEEDYMIG420 View Post
    I was lucky enough to see them perform back in the '90s. It was at the Hollywood Palladium. I can't wait to see them again, in April. Very excited for this.
    You are one of a handful to actually see them in the US! What's your take on why they never took off here in the States? It was a different time with hair bands then grunge coming on but why have they still never really been discovered by most people here? They are Gods in the UK. Any of her Majesty's People know what's up with this?

It's too bad Second Coming still gets bashed. I love that record and Love Spreads is one.of the best jams to make.it to American radio.

Great Thread!

im very curious to see what the crowd size is going to be like for this

I wish I was making this conversation up

friend: "Stone Roses? That'll be cool. I think I saw a clip of them playing Glastonbury where they had a whole black chorus up there, and this massive psychedelic sun thing pulsing colors behind them."
    me: "... you're thinking of Primal Scream."
    friend: "Oh.. wait is this the same band that played a few years ago? With the fat dude they turned into a head for that Gorillaz video?"
    me: "... ... ... that's the Happy Mondays."
    me: "so then how do I know the Stone Roses?"
    me: "... you don't?"

Not an encouraging sign.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by mlant View Post
    You are one of a handful to actually see them in the US! What's your take on why they never took off here in the States? It was a different time with hair bands then grunge coming on but why have they still never really been discovered by most people here? They are Gods in the UK. Any of her Majesty's People know what's up with this?
    They went 5 years between album. They didn't tour the US the first time around, and never toured the US with all 4 members intact.

Being on a tiny label didn't help.

Lurker

Two of my favorite Stone Roses tunes. I can't wait!

Love Spreads

Fool's Gold - Sampled by every hip hop producer since it dropped.

I saw them at the Heaton Park reunion shows. Amazing sound and atmosphere at the gig, such a great band.

Keep on trolling dipshit. You have 400+ posts to explain why SHM was headlining.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I cant wait for this.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Keep on trolling dipshit. You have 400+ posts to explain why SHM was headlining.
    Swedish House Mafia was the #1 most important dance act in 2012, simple. They have reached DJ superstar status that sells out stadiums, headline every major festival, and eventually created their own festival in Miami during Ultra Festival. THAT'S WHY THEY HEADLINED, they were the leading act for a genre of music.

Shall I continue?

Yeah, I love the Stone Roses...And Blur. But I also loved Pulp...and they didn't need to headline to be an amazing show last year (and they totally could have). Friday night needs to end on an insane EDM note, it just sets the tone for the rest of the weekend...Not to mention that then all the EDM kids get exposed to some really great rock shit just as their faces begin to melt...just my two cents.
    Last edited by themule; 01-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.

The ultimate sophomore curse band. Their first record is one of the ten best records to be made in the last 25 years. No way their second could measure up, even without all the infighting and delays. I expected them to appear this year, but I am blown away that they are headlining.

I would have flown from SF to Manchester to see them if I could have gotten tickets to their first few reunion shows, but they all sold out in under an hour. Can't fucking wait for their set.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

You guys think the Roses will play after Blur? They're listed first on the poster (ala Kanye/Strokes co-headlining).
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

I've heard about these guys for years, and have never gotten around to really checking out their music. In the last couple days I've been listening to their stuff and I can't wait for this set!

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Hope they add a Wiltern show or something this summer or SB Bowl in April

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    You guys think the Roses will play after Blur? They're listed first on the poster (ala Kanye/Strokes co-headlining).
    i really hope i am wrong but i expect there to be zero crowd energy during stone roses, which is why i hope blur close out friday

Still no I Wanna Be Adored linked? That's the song that hooked me.

Roses should close

Swedish House Mafia was the #1 most important dance act in 2012, simple. They have reached DJ superstar status that sells out stadiums, headline every major festival, and eventually created their own festival in Miami during Ultra Festival. THAT'S WHY THEY HEADLINED, they were the leading act for a genre of music.

Shall I continue?
    The Stone Roses are by far one of the greatest bands and deserve to headline. Just because SHM appeals to the mindless masses doesn't make them an "important" EDM group. I saw their set last year and I was not impressed and this is coming from a person that has been listening to electronic music since the early 90's. With all the fire and lights to distract you from what they were really doing, I hardly call pushing "Play" an artform. Hell, you want to talk selling out forums, Britney Spears does that and her music is crap! Im just saying. So please, continue...
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

I consider the Coachella-going crowd to be on the whole, music aficionados, with some of the best musical taste on the planet. However, many have a gaping hole where post 80's British rock n roll is concerned, which seems odd because of The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Kinks, Zeppelin, Bowie, The Clash, Sex Pistols, etc etc legacy. I feel it started in the 80's when disc jockey's began to lose their power to choose music, and it's become worse in the 90's and 2000's with radio stations becoming major corporate conglomerations here in the US. Also, Cool Britannia or Britpop or whateverthefuckyouwanttocallit, was really polar opposites to all things that were grunge. Kurt Cobain said I Hate Myself and I Want to Die and Noel Gallagher said You and I are gonna live forever. We took a fork in the road. We've since had mostly top 40 shoved down our throats, of course there's the internet now but even The Biebs has got 854m views with "Baby" so who can compete with that? Democracy is a majority rule concept so since most have never heard of The Stone Roses (Their most popular video has only 2.4m views) they must not be any good right? Or at least undeserving of a headline slot. Surely.

Goldenvoice knew what they were doing. You can bring a horse to water but you can't make em drink, they're brining us to the water. Drink it up. Most of us are more discerning than the rest, Trolls excluded, so in the next few months leading up to the festival I expect for The Stone Roses popularity to soar. Maybe they only made one truly classic album, but my friends! What a classic it is!

Don't Stop
    Psychedelic brilliance, backwards guitars, and haunting vocals

This was something I dreamed about, never expected a headlining slot, but give them some time and you'll see why they got it. Blur and the Roses back to back, whichever way it goes, I'm assuming Blur will close, will be unforgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by mlant View Post
    This was something I dreamed about, never expected a headlining slot, but give them some time and you'll see why they got it. Blur and the Roses back to back, whichever way it goes, I'm assuming Blur will close, will be unforgettable.
    THIS X1000! Short of a Smiths reunion, I couldn't think of two bands I wanted to see more. I expected them to book the Roses and put them in the Suede slot from 2011 - late night, Mojave tent probably. To have them both and as co-headliners is a dream pairing. Well done, Goldenvoice.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    I've heard about these guys for years, and have never gotten around to really checking out their music. In the last couple days I've been listening to their stuff and I can't wait for this set!
    Same here. I listened to the first album yesterday and a few songs really struck a chord (Waterfall in particular). They have a 60's feel but still modern pop. Really enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.