Page 1 of 31 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

Hybrid View

Default THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

One of the greatest bands of all time, who have blessed us with a reformation. There are many of us who see this as the pinnacle of the entire weekend, however there are just as many who have never even heard of this band who say, "Who the FUCK are The Stone Roses and why are they headlining?"
    I imagine this as a brief introduction to the uninitiated. Feel free to delve into their history, far too brief, perhaps that's why this is such a big deal, not many people ever really saw them. Then peak at who they've influenced and been influenced by, some of the greats, but really it's all about the tunes! That's why they're headlining.

If you'd like to get into them, I suggest getting their first album, 1989's eponymous The Stone Roses. (You can listen to the full US Version with that link)
    Put on a nice pair of headphones, light one up, pour your favorite drink, or just grab some friends and DANCE, but enjoy the ride. A Masterpiece.
    They were also a B-Side band, so make sure to check those out, I like Turns Into Stone.
    Their second and final album, Second Coming, is a change of direction and wasn't well received at the time, the bar was set so high, but there is much to like here, some big anthems and lots of groove.

Their first single from 1987:
    Sally Cinnamon (single mix)

"When I heard Sally Cinnamon for the first time, I knew what my destiny was." Noel Gallagher

She Bangs The Drums
    Maybe their biggest hit, still sounds so huge and fresh today.

Mersey Paradise
    B-Side of She Bangs the Drums, sung from the perspective of a man who drowns and murders a woman over unrequited love. Exquisite guitar work from John Squire, who also painted all cover art for albums and singles.

Elephant Stone 7" Version
    This is a non-album single which is included as track 3 on the US album. Euphoria in song form.

Ten Storey Love Song
    Off Second Coming, proper sing-a-long in the desert anthem. For all of us who've ever had our heartbroken, and tried to put the pieces back together, you'll enjoy this one.

I Am The Resurrection
    There are many ways to end an album, few can match this. (Fool's Gold 12" Version ends the US album) According to Mani, the bassist, the outro was recorded in a single take...incredible.

I'd like to offer a firm handshake to Goldenvoice for making this dream of mine come true.
    Madchester is coming to Indio!
    I can't wait for April! Who's with me??
    And to those who had never heard of the Stone Roses and have recently given them a listen because of curiosity or their headlining status, what do you think?
    Last edited by mlant; 02-06-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Default Re: THE STONE ROSES --- This is why they're fucking headlining.

YES YES YES! can't wait.

I was lucky enough to see them perform back in the '90s. It was at the Hollywood Palladium. I can't wait to see them again, in April. Very excited for this.

Quote Originally Posted by SEEDYMIG420 View Post
    I was lucky enough to see them perform back in the '90s. It was at the Hollywood Palladium. I can't wait to see them again, in April. Very excited for this.
    You are one of a handful to actually see them in the US! What's your take on why they never took off here in the States? It was a different time with hair bands then grunge coming on but why have they still never really been discovered by most people here? They are Gods in the UK. Any of her Majesty's People know what's up with this?

It's too bad Second Coming still gets bashed. I love that record and Love Spreads is one.of the best jams to make.it to American radio.

Great Thread!

old school

Quote Originally Posted by mlant View Post
    You are one of a handful to actually see them in the US! What's your take on why they never took off here in the States? It was a different time with hair bands then grunge coming on but why have they still never really been discovered by most people here? They are Gods in the UK. Any of her Majesty's People know what's up with this?
    They went 5 years between album. They didn't tour the US the first time around, and never toured the US with all 4 members intact.

Being on a tiny label didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by mlant View Post
    They never took off here in the U.S., because of the legal fight they were having with their label. That's why it took for ever to get the second album out. When your label has you in "legal limbo" and their not promoting your music...your not going to make it big in the U.S. Sad to see that the people who like EDM, are bashing the Stone Roses. They were very inluential to the early days of the "Rave scene". It's great to see other people digging their sound. It's going to be a great experience for sure. Especially when I drop 2MDMA capsules and smoke a fat ass splif during their set...I'll be passing it to the left. ;0)
    Last edited by SEEDYMIG420; 01-30-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Blackpool in the area. Full show here. Watch it as it's a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Blackpool in the area. Full show here. Watch it as it's a classic.

I'm just getting into the Stone Roses and I really dig their first album. Watching this video, the music sounds great, but the lead singer sounds horrible. What the fuck? He doesn't sound like that on the record. And that vid was from 89? I can only imagine it's worse now.

They never took off here in the U.S., because of the legal fight they were having with their label. That's why it took for ever to get the second album out. When your label has you in "legal limbo" and their not promoting your music...your not going to make it big in the U.S. Sad to see that the people who like EDM, are bashing the Stone Roses. They were very inluential to the early days of the "Rave scene". It's great to see other people digging their sound. It's going to be a great experience for sure. Especially when I drop 2MDMA capsules and smoke a fat ass splif during their set...I'll be passing it to the left. ;0)
    Please wear your flared jeans for this. i am very excited about seeing them. Early days of LA Rave got major influence from Manchester and the bands that came from there.

On a connected note, the link to this doc was in the Documentaries of 2013 bands thread (good stuff in there). The story is pretty crazy, funny and sad and i liked it a lot:

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Please wear your flared jeans for this. i am very excited about seeing them. Early days of LA Rave got major influence from Manchester and the bands that came from there.

On a connected note, the link to this doc was in the Documentaries of 2013 bands thread (good stuff in there). The story is pretty crazy, funny and sad and i liked it a lot:

I just watched this yesterday and thought it was awesome. It sucks that such an influential and important band was doomed by bad contracts and a shitty manager.

They never took off here in the U.S., because of the legal fight they were having with their label. That's why it took for ever to get the second album out. When your label has you in "legal limbo" and their not promoting your music...your not going to make it big in the U.S.
    There are too many great British bands that had this problem... The Catherine Wheel (first two albums are great), Swervedriver...

Sad to see that the people who like EDM, are bashing the Stone Roses. They were very influential to the early days of the "Rave scene". It's great to see other people digging their sound. It's going to be a great experience for sure. Especially when I drop 2MDMA capsules and smoke a fat ass splif during their set...I'll be passing it to the left. ;0)
    One could just as easily bash EDM

Quote Originally Posted by alternapop View Post
    Catherine Wheel
    My favorite band.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Saw the Roses in Los Angeles back in the 90's (their only LA show) I wish Reni would have been there.
    Coachella is going to be amazing!

If you have to explain why they are headlining, they aren't headline worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    or you're musically ignorant and need the guidance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Keep on trolling dipshit. You have 400+ posts to explain why SHM was headlining.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Keep on trolling dipshit. You have 400+ posts to explain why SHM was headlining.
    Swedish House Mafia was the #1 most important dance act in 2012, simple. They have reached DJ superstar status that sells out stadiums, headline every major festival, and eventually created their own festival in Miami during Ultra Festival. THAT'S WHY THEY HEADLINED, they were the leading act for a genre of music.

Shall I continue?

Swedish House Mafia was the #1 most important dance act in 2012, simple. They have reached DJ superstar status that sells out stadiums, headline every major festival, and eventually created their own festival in Miami during Ultra Festival. THAT'S WHY THEY HEADLINED, they were the leading act for a genre of music.

Shall I continue?
    The Stone Roses are by far one of the greatest bands and deserve to headline. Just because SHM appeals to the mindless masses doesn't make them an "important" EDM group. I saw their set last year and I was not impressed and this is coming from a person that has been listening to electronic music since the early 90's. With all the fire and lights to distract you from what they were really doing, I hardly call pushing "Play" an artform. Hell, you want to talk selling out forums, Britney Spears does that and her music is crap! Im just saying. So please, continue...
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

Shall I continue?
    No, please don't. We get it, you like SHM and we are happy for you. Now move along...
    Last edited by blackchango; 01-27-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Shall I continue?
    I think you just missed the point entirely.

Shall I continue?

SHM important? hahahaha, that's like saying Justin Bieber is the most important musician of 2012

I've been listening to their first album for the last few days and can see why people love them. Its solid all the way through and will for sure be making am attempt to see them on friday.

As for the best album to come out of England, that is clearly exile on main street followed by about 5 Beatles albums.

Shall I continue?
    And then they broke up cause they were a fad. They're still playing the same shit on their final tour. trash

The Stone Roses sold out all three nights of their reunion concerts - making them the fastest selling rock concerts in UK history. An astonishing 225,000 tickets was sold for the three mega-concerts at Heaton Park, Manchester. The first 150,000 tickets for the first two nights sold out in just 14 minutes after going on sale, the remaining 80, 000 tickets sold out shortly after.

The Stone Roses first album was named by the NME as the best British album of all time!

Click here to see the top ten best British albums of all time.
    Last edited by Kirby77; 02-01-2013 at 09:16 AM.

hate to say it, as i am there for a lot of the smaller bands, but this is very true.

Lurker

Well said!
    NullinVoid Inc. Android Developer Blog http://www.nullinvoidinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by NullinVoid View Post
    Well said!
    Still holding out hope they close the outdoor!

Classy intro and I'm liking what I hear. Gonna do some research on these guys.

I get why they're headlining, and given that I still decide to go, will be watching their set. But I can't say I LOVE the band. I say the best thing about them is I never feel the need to skip a song when listening, but I also never feel the need to put any particular one on repeat either. That's just me.