Thread: Will we be able to camp with our friends who are in different cars this year?

Default Will we be able to camp with our friends who are in different cars this year?

I know last year there was a "Waiting Room" type idea that seemed to get thrown on the back burner. They had just closed it when my friends and I were pulling into car-camping, so we had to do a little maneuvering to camp by each other.

Seemed a major problem was checking cars, they would check line of cars, send them along, then another, then another. We were in the same line so we happened to be far apart and got REALLY lucky.

Maybe this year an idea would be to expand the waiting area and/or have a couple separate lines for multiple vehicles that are traveling together?

Default Re: Will we be able to camp with our friends who are in different cars this year?

We just had 2 cars and the waiting area worked for us, but barely. They had like a 5 minute rule or something ridiculous, but to get through car searches could definitely take longer than 5 minutes. We were getting told we had to start leaving when the other car came through.
    But a separate line for groups would be good. Send them all in one at a time after the search. Seems easy enough, but I doubt the geniuses in security wouldn't be able to figure it out. *sigh*

Default Re: Will we be able to camp with our friends who are in different cars this year?

Last year we got there around 10:30 or 11 am on Thursday with 10 cars, waited in the spot for a good half an hour because one car got held up, and it was all fine. I didn't hear about any 5 minute rule. No one came to talk to us, we were just drinking by the cars and listening music and waiting. The waiting area is just a part of camping that hasn't filled up yet, so it makes sense they would close it if you're getting there late. I'd say if you get there before 5 on Thursday it will be fine.

Ya, not sure why we were being yelled at. We arrived around 11 or 12 on Thursday. got through the lines maybe around 1ish. There weren't even many people waiting. Some b*tch of a security lady was yelling at us though.

I don't see why they don't just search a whole group of cars if they are in one line and go through. Seems like that would be easier and doesn't need a waiting area *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by fearthewig View Post
    I know last year there was a "Waiting Room" type idea that seemed to get thrown on the back burner.
    Last year was the first year they'd done that, and it was a *massive* improvement over previous years. When my group arrived we hung out there for like an hour while we were waiting for the last car in the group to get searched.

Maybe this year an idea would be to expand the waiting area and/or have a couple separate lines for multiple vehicles that are traveling together?
    Expanding the waiting area is a good idea. Having seperate lines is, I think, a problem; I think it would have too much of an impact on everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    Ya, not sure why we were being yelled at. We arrived around 11 or 12 on Thursday. got through the lines maybe around 1ish. There weren't even many people waiting. Some b*tch of a security lady was yelling at us though.

I don't see why they don't just search a whole group of cars if they are in one line and go through. Seems like that would be easier and doesn't need a waiting area *shrugs*
    Actually getting your entire group into one line can be hard, too; the way they funnel people into lines makes it more likely that you'd be split up into 2-3.

Huh, I've never seen them funneling people to specific lines. We've always just driven and and picked whatever line we wanted to go in. Guess a "group" line would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbell05 View Post
    Huh, I've never seen them funneling people to specific lines. We've always just driven and and picked whatever line we wanted to go in. Guess a "group" line would be good.
    One year - two years ago, maybe? - they opened up a new entrance to the staging area for the tents and broke our group in half, each half going in a different entry door. That was ... irritating.