Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Default Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Hope it ends up RHCP vs. Prydz.

I'll be at Prydz.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post

I'll be at Prydz.
    We know dude. EVERYONE WILL BE AT PRYDZ....Shut up about it already!!!

somebody say Prydz conflict??

though if somehow Frusciante is present I'll be there

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post

I'll be at Prydz.
    THIS.
    Don't follow me, I walk into walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    That must be new because during an online chat with 10C members in June 2012, Kelly Curtis said PJ will play Coachella eventually. Or it's GV who doesn't want to deal with PJ. I remember Paul T saying somewhere he never went after PJ because he knows their fans would camp at the main stage all day and not explore the festival like he wants attendees to do. I would think that wouldn't be an issue now, though, with the festival being close to sold out before a lineup is announced.
    For what it's worth, I have neer alluded to there being bad blood between the 2 camps. Just that are reasons pj hasn't played.

This was an enjoyable read and it's fantastic to see some of you just being yourselves.

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

Quote Originally Posted by thebaconator View Post

Spoiler alert: he won't be there.

As much as we shit on the Chili Peppers, they're going to have the biggest crowd of the weekend BY FAR. The average attendee will love it. Hell I don't even listen to them other than the occasional single on radio and I'm considering checking them out for nostalgia's sake. I'm sure we will have fantastic alternatives though.

Why didn't they just move Blur to Sunday and keep Stone Roses on Friday?
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    As much as we shit on the Chili Peppers, they're going to have the biggest crowd of the weekend BY FAR. The average attendee will love it. Hell I don't even listen to them other than the occasional single on radio and I'm considering checking them out for nostalgia's sake. I'm sure we will have fantastic alternatives though.
    No way. With the amount of people that will be leaving early and either Prydz or Pretty Lights in the sahara probably also happening, I can't see it. I honestly think, mostly because of scheduling, it might be the YYY's. Considering how much is going to be going on Saturday, I don't see anyone having the biggest crowd that night.

Totally Agree...I'll see all of you music snobs at the main stage Sunday night.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by jahmonkey View Post
    Totally Agree...I'll see all of you music snobs at the main stage Sunday night.
    Rodriguez is playing the mainstage?

Quote Originally Posted by IzGewd View Post
    John is one of the best guitarists of all time and a tough act to follow, but give Klinghoffer a chance. He's no Frusciante, but dude is an insane musician. What the band lacks most these days is the connection and energy Flea and John created together

RHCP is/was one of my favorite bands, and I saw them play a few songs in 07 at Coachella, and they were amazing then again they DID have John, who is amazing with or without RHCP, and the crowd they drew was the biggest I've ever seen, people were fighting from all sides to get inside, I nearly got trampled to death when I tripped. It's hard to believe that between then and now, all a sudden everyone hates them. It's like wait what? They still have flea c'mon. Kiedis' vocals are strong too, though that shitty mustache needs to go. As for Klinghoffer, he does what he can, but he'll never be able to create the same feel that John did, live with it, or stfu. Though I admit, this last album was pretty weak, I didn't care much for it besides like 1 or 2 tracks.

fri- OUTKAST- The Replacements- Chromeo- AFI- Bonobo- Zedd- the Glitch Mob- Grouplove-Anthony Green-ZZ Ward-Anti-Flag- Flatbush Zombies- Crosses
    sat- Mgmt- Fatboy Slim- Nas- Kid kudi- Sleigh Bells-City and Colour- Chvrches- Mogwai- Future Islands- Rl Grime- the Internet-
    sun- Beck- Calvin Harris- Motorhead- Duck Sause- Flosstradamus-Toy Dolls- Big Gigantic- Strfkr-Fishbone- Bombino- Poolside- Showtek
    05~06~07~09~11~12.2~13.1~13.2~14.1~14.2

Quote Originally Posted by thebaconator View Post
    somebody say Prydz conflict??

Their 2007 set was not exciting, even with Frusciante.
    05-12.2

old school

Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's hard to believe that between then and now, all a sudden everyone hates them. It's like wait what? They still have flea c'mon. Kiedis' vocals are strong too, though that shitty mustache needs to go. As for Klinghoffer, he does what he can, but he'll never be able to create the same feel that John did, live with it, or stfu. Though I admit, this last album was pretty weak, I didn't care much for it besides like 1 or 2 tracks.
    If this was the first RHCP of this album cycle or their first time playing Coachella people would be more excited. It's the final shows of a tour going on since 2011. They haven't done anything in the past 6 years to justify a return visit and I have trouble thinking of them in ACDC type terms where the audience know what they are getting and want to see it multiple times.

I'm also left wondering why they booked RHCP and not Neil Young & Crazy Horse - who has a stronger catalogue, likely will put on a better show and in the same price range to book.

Sadly RHCP are a much bigger draw then Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

I barely even know the name of Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Also it's been 6 years since they played Coachella, its not like they're there every year or something, i think half a decade is enough time between sets. But yeah this is the last bit of their tour of an album that wasn't so great with a guitarist most people weren't excited about anyway so I can see the disappointment but the hate is strange. Specially when I saw them 6 months ago and people were more excited and enthusiastic then any of the other current bands I've gone to see in the last few years. Muse was probably the 2nd biggest band in terms of crowd excitement. Could be a locality thing though

Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    I barely even know the name of Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Also it's been 6 years since they played Coachella, its not like they're there every year or something, i think half a decade is enough time between sets. But yeah this is the last bit of their tour of an album that wasn't so great with a guitarist most people weren't excited about anyway so I can see the disappointment but the hate is strange. Specially when I saw them 6 months ago and people were more excited and enthusiastic then any of the other current bands I've gone to see in the last few years. Muse was probably the 2nd biggest band in terms of crowd excitement. Could be a locality thing though
    With this logic they should bring back Jack Johnson next year. I mean, after all, he has accomplished exactly the same things as RHCP did in between headlining sets (absolutely nothing.)

old school

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Sadly RHCP are a much bigger draw then Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
    I too would give a lead to RHCP in this department.

But I thought the festival sells out anyways and GV have been after Neil a several times in the past?

Was RHCP a ticket sales "safety net" booking for the relative gamble of Friday/Saturday headliners?

Sadly RHCP are a much bigger draw then Neil Young & Crazy Horse
    I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse last year at Outside Lands and they performed long drawn out 30 min versions of obscure songs that I had no desire to ever hear again. Major disappointment of one of my music idols.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Thats your problem for not listening to Psychedelic Pill, which is phenomenal.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse last year at Outside Lands and they performed long drawn out 30 min versions of obscure songs that I had no desire to ever hear again. Major disappointment of one of my music idols.
    YES exactly. i felt like he came back to the chorus about 10 times in a few songs. He was still great but it seemed drawn out.

Neil Young and Crazy Hose are one of your musical idols and you were pissed they were playing long drawn out jams? Riiiiiiight.

^this.

neil young at outsidelands was everything i had hoped to see especially from someone alot of goobs would say is past his prime. he wasnt. he gave it all. be thankful they can jam and have fun and not give you some lazy, predictable mold of a performance. it was one of the mot intense performances id ever witnessed. im thankful i didnt take acid that night it probably would have been overwhelming. (i took it for sigur ros the next night).

meat vs The Smiths.. I rather have my pepperoni spicy pie, thank you very much.
    OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor