Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Default Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    And Dre/Snoop absolutely replaced Sabbath at the last minute. But I suppose since I don't have a link to prove it it's just a rumor.
    I'm glad we were able to come to a conclusion on this divisive issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    Pearl Jam could've been booked for less. Employ a fucking focus group next time if you're going to book-end a lineup like that with the equivalent of sonic shit a year in advance.
    Focus groups are how you end up with Jack Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    I can't wait to get a head start on traffic!
    THAT

I don't know if theres any credence to the "rhcp booked a year ago" comments, but we can all agree it doesn't matter when they were booked, what matters is that we got a lazy bookend to this years otherwise phenomenal lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Take note, Dre/Snoop replaced Sabbath at the last minute theorists. This is what we refer to as "solid evidence."

And boo to GV for giving in to what looks like desperation and settling for the fucking Peppers. I'd have waited another month for the lineup if it meant a significant upgrade over goddamn Dani California.
    Not releasing the lineup till march would be retarded, what wouldn't be retarded would be to black out the sunday headliner on the poster. Making it the "Mystery Headliner" until they could work a deal with NIN TOOL PEARL JAM ROLLING STONES ATOMS FOR PEACE SOUND CITY PLAYERS DAFT PUNK ETC

Menik is right that the Chili Peppers were booked (over) a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    I don't know if theres any credence to the "rhcp booked a year ago" comments, but we can all agree it doesn't matter when they were booked, what matters is that we got a lazy bookend to this years otherwise phenomenal lineup.

Not releasing the lineup till march would be retarded, what wouldn't be retarded would be to black out the sunday headliner on the poster. Making it the "Mystery Headliner" until they could work a deal with NIN TOOL PEARL JAM ROLLING STONES ATOMS FOR PEACE SOUND CITY PLAYERS DAFT PUNK ETC

CCR CONFIRMED!!

I trust they were booked a long time ago but not to close the festival. I imagine they were going to headline on Friday or something and once GV couldn't land anyone bigger they moved them to Sunday and perhaps then had to renegotiate money which is what came down to the last minute. The way the Rolling Stone article was written, and how their manager was speaking, made it sound like RHCP was holding out for more money. He seemed to be defending the fact that RHCP were a valuable pick for Coachella.

Pure speculation of course.

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    There's no way they failed to sign what could have been one of the most expensive acts to ever be booked at an American festival and decided to give us a budget Undercardchella.
    The Stones cost more than McCartney? Just because there are 5 of them? His tix are $250+ as well. 2009 had Leonard Cohen, Moz, McCartney on Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

The only thing that makes me mad about this, is not the fact that we got rhcp. It's that coachella sold almost all tickets on presale, had the money just lying around, knew that the festival was already a success. And left headliners til the last moment, it's like they just sat around (but more realistically, I hope, that they had some major person or group in mind, couldn't get them, and they were left without a proper headliner) because I think other than headliners everyone else is good, so they put some effort into making it a good year. They could've tried harder assuming it was a sold out festival already.

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    The Stones cost more than McCartney? Just because there are 5 of them? His tix are $250+ as well. 2009 had Leonard Cohen, Moz, McCartney on Friday.
    Keyword: One of the most. And yes I would imagine a band of their stature demanded more money than Paul by himself.

Why is all of the hate aimed at RHCP? You people really think Phoenix headlining the night before is going to be that much better? Phoenix's new album better be solid

I'd say maybe they'll have a holographic Hillel Slovak on the stage, but only about 10 people in the crowd will know who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    Why is all of the hate aimed at RHCP? You people really think Phoenix headlining the night before is going to be that much better? Phoenix's new album better be solid
    wouldnt shocked me if phoenix absolutely blows up after headlining

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Well, this might come as a shock to you but there are people who actually know what they're talking about around here. And Dre/Snoop absolutely replaced Sabbath at the last minute. But I suppose since I don't have a link to prove it it's just a rumor.
    No. Black Keys did. Dr. Dre doesn't just get up and do a show out of no where.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero23 View Post
    tl;dr: ACID.

Saying black keys were a replacement is like saying they were also a replacement at acl or at lolla, they headlined almost all major us festivals last year, you have to admit 2012 was their year, I wasn't happy about it, but where else did snoop mad dre headline?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    Pearl Jam could've been booked for less. Employ a fucking focus group next time if you're going to book-end a lineup like that with the equivalent of sonic shit a year in advance.
    GV would not have been able to get Pearl Jam for cheaper than RHCP

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

But what makes you think any of these are options where a deal could have been made? Given that Puscifer and How to Destroy Angels are on the bill, I'm pretty sure GV would have known if NIN and Tool were available. Rolling Stones clearly either is not doing festivals or cost way too much, this seems to have been explored. Daft Punk is clearly not ready and I have no idea what makes everybody think otherwise year after year. It has been vaguely alluded to a couple times recently that PJ and GV have bad blood and are not interested in working together, everybody thinks Sound City Players suck and are not the sum of their parts, and a Blur/Stone Roses/Phoenix/Atoms for Peace top line would have been an even bigger fiasco than what exists now. At least bros and e-tards know who Red Hot Chili Peppers are.

If Bonnaroo truly does have Macca and Bjork, that's beyond excellent for them. I think for the rest of the music festivals, it looks like this year's options stem largely from a pool of Killers, Green Day, Muse, Eminem, etc.

Some valid points. Your probably right about NIN TOOL PJ DP and Sound City being unviable options. If AFP ended up being the mystery sunday headliner then it would be a huge letdown, so good point there. But still, the empty slot sunday would give them time to negotiate with the stones or the smiths. And if all else failed depeche mode, eminem, kanye/jayz collab, and black sabbath are all "available" without touring conflicts.

There is no way that Goldenvoice would have released the lineup with an empty spot for the Sunday headliner. I personally don't like RCHP, but there is no denying that they are a big draw

And if all else failed depeche mode, eminem, kanye/jayz collab, and black sabbath are all "available" without touring conflicts.
    Black Sabbath is in NZ, I think. Eminem was probably obtainable. Depeche Mode seems feasible enough. Kanye and Jay-Z might have done a one-off, but they both seem busy with other projects though. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably didn't pursue Eminem/Kanye/Jay-Z because all of them were onstage so recently.

Don't get me wrong, I think the headliners are definitely on the underwhelming side although it's not really phasing me that much, I am just struggling to think of who else significantly better would have been available.

Some valid points. Your probably right about NIN TOOL PJ DP and Sound City being unviable options. If AFP ended up being the mystery sunday headliner then it would be a huge letdown, so good point there. But still, the empty slot sunday would give them time to negotiate with the stones or the smiths. And if all else failed depeche mode, eminem, kanye/jayz collab, and black sabbath are all "available" without touring conflicts.
    At this point after moz publicly stating he turned down coachella again this year for about 5 mill a weekend it's gonna take a larger sum of money and a completely meat free fest(all three days, both weekends) in order for him to even think about asking marr, joyce, and rourke if they wanna reunite

old school

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    McCartney is in better health than the Rolling Stones band members not named Jagger. Stones shows going forward are much more of a limited resource going forward.

Numbers I see kicking around were Paul got something under $4mil and Stones/GV were in the $5m per show range.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    McCartney is in better health than the Rolling Stones band members not named Jagger.
    Go on, Doctor Bumblebee . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It has been vaguely alluded to a couple times recently that PJ and GV have bad blood and are not interested in working together
    That must be new because during an online chat with 10C members in June 2012, Kelly Curtis said PJ will play Coachella eventually. Or it's GV who doesn't want to deal with PJ. I remember Paul T saying somewhere he never went after PJ because he knows their fans would camp at the main stage all day and not explore the festival like he wants attendees to do. I would think that wouldn't be an issue now, though, with the festival being close to sold out before a lineup is announced.
    8/29-Classixx (Crescent Ballroom)
    9/19-Eric Prydz (The Pressroom)
    10/1-The Gaslight Anthem (Marquee Theatre)
    10/10-12-Austin City Limits Weekend 2
    10/24-Warpaint (The Pressrom)
    10/25-Arctic Monkeys (Comerica Theatre)
    10/30-Jimmy Eat World (Marquee Theatre)
    11/3-Yelle (Crescent Ballroom)
    11/10-The Black Keys (US Airways Center)
    11/12-Judas Priest (Jobing.com Arena)
    4/10-12-Coachella Weekend 1

Regardless of whether they were intended to headline another night or not, RHCP just seems like a lame way to end the fest. This is GV's own doing in terms of setting the bar high all of those prior years, but there's absolutely nothing special about their booking. GV knows this, meaning their hands were tied (money or otherwise) or there is/was some other plan.

Not to dwell on the Daft Punk thing (yeah, yeah - .01% chance of them showing), but that would be the way to end the fest in a way that would wow like dre/snoop/tupac last year. If that were the case, though, you'd expect some mystery spot ala Governors Ball. But maybe that would be too obvious.

Either way, I just have a hard time believing GV was content with RHCP closing the fest. Like I said, though, maybe the bar was set too high. There's nothing technically wrong with RHCP ending the fest, there's just nothing special about it. And I've come to expect special from Coachella. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by daftpunked View Post
    Regardless of whether they were intended to headline another night or not, RHCP just seems like a lame way to end the fest. This is GV's own doing in terms of setting the bar high all of those prior years, but there's absolutely nothing special about their booking. GV knows this, meaning their hands were tied (money or otherwise) or there is/was some other plan.

Not to dwell on the Daft Punk thing (yeah, yeah - .01% chance of them showing), but that would be the way to end the fest in a way that would wow like dre/snoop/tupac last year. If that were the case, though, you'd expect some mystery spot ala Governors Ball. But maybe that would be too obvious.

Either way, I just have a hard time believing GV was content with RHCP closing the fest. Like I said, though, maybe the bar was set too high. There's nothing technically wrong with RHCP ending the fest, there's just nothing special about it. And I've come to expect special from Coachella. Ah well.
    Please do yourself a favor and do not count on Daft Punk replacing a full blown headliner. They were thrown millions of dollars this year, and were pursued very hard. They are not ready.

There is no other plan. Why on earth would they book one of the biggest rock bands of the past few decades as nothing more than a ruse, only to pull them out and have Daft Punk close out the festival, and in doing so infuriate their label and agent, thus potentially severing future connections and negotiations? Does that sound logical to you? Wouldn't it be infinitely more logical to just book Daft Punk and bill them on the poster if this were a possibility?

I'm not saying this to be mean. There is just absolutely no chance this happens. Daft Punk is not playing this year. We go through this every year when people think they will randomly come on the poster at the last minute. Learn to love what you have.

Please do yourself a favor and do not count on Daft Punk replacing a full blown headliner.
    Trust me, I had higher hopes for Daft making a surprise appearance during Kanye's set 2 years ago than I do now...I've pretty much given up on that. But it's more about RHCP being GV's choice to close the show; it still doesn't sit right. Even, say, deadmau5, depeche mode, the cure, etc. sharing the spot might feel better.

I'm learning to judge the merits of this year's lineup based on its entirety and not letting this one pick taint it too much.

Trust me, I had higher hopes for Daft making a surprise appearance during Kanye's set 2 years ago than I do now...I've pretty much given up on that. But it's more about RHCP being GV's choice to close the show; it still doesn't sit right. Even, say, deadmau5, depeche mode, the cure, etc. sharing the spot might feel better.

I'm learning to judge the merits of this year's lineup based on its entirety and not letting this one pick taint it too much.
    Yeah, I think RHCP is a bit of a bummer of a closer. Then again, I am a Kanye fan, but I know a lot of people had negative reactions to that closing too. I think you'll see a lot of great acts closing tents.

I'm guessing RHCP were not a first choice, but that this year just didn't have a lot of great available headliners. Lots of people thought Coachella's 2011 headliners were disappointing, only to realize that Lolla/Bonnaroo/ACL had equally disappointing acts. Sounds like Bonnaroo is set to have one of their best lineups in recent memory, but let's see how the other three majors fare.

I'm guessing RHCP were not a first choice, but that this year just didn't have a lot of great available headliners. Lots of people thought Coachella's 2011 headliners were disappointing, only to realize that Lolla/Bonnaroo/ACL had equally disappointing acts. Sounds like Bonnaroo is set to have one of their best lineups in recent memory, but let's see how the other three majors fare.
    Good point.

Same here After Kanye and Snoop/Dre closed things out with such amazing performances the past two years, this just depresses me.
    kanye is a joke