Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Default Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Figures. This held up the lineup, and it was a lame last minute pick IMO. Seriously, is anyone here excited to see them? The lineup is pretty sweet overall...and RHCP as a headliner brought it down a few notches.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers signed on to headline Coachella about an hour before the annual Indio, California, festival announced its lineup last night, one of the band's managers tells Rolling Stone. "We've been in talks for months," says Cliff Burnstein, whose firm, Q Prime, also manages Metallica, the Black Keys and other top rock acts. "It goes down to the wire. It's a negotiation."
    "We'll be right in the target demo for Coachella. It's surprising, but it's true," says Burnstein, who adds that the band plans to start writing a new album this year. "We figured out if they have 180,000 people over the two weekends, there's a good chance that 10 percent or less would've actually seen the Chili Peppers at a previous Coachella. It seemed like it would actually be, in many ways, a very fresh thing."
    Here's the link to the full story
    Last edited by daftpunked; 01-25-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Default Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Eat some magic mushrooms and it could be a great time, if they had their old guitarist.

if only John was there
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Take note, Dre/Snoop replaced Sabbath at the last minute theorists. This is what we refer to as "solid evidence."

And boo to GV for giving in to what looks like desperation and settling for the fucking Peppers. I'd have waited another month for the lineup if it meant a significant upgrade over goddamn Dani California.

I was hoping that Bjork or Tool would be the first three-time headliner. Oh well, hopefully this conflicts with Wu-Tang or Nick Cave or someone else awesome.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

So, what was the fallback if RHCP didn't commit?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Eat some magic mushrooms and it could be a great time, if they had their old guitarist.
    Quote Originally Posted by brycerosen View Post
    if only John was there
    Been repeating this to everyone I talk to about the lineup. Sigh.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Take note, Dre/Snoop replaced Sabbath at the last minute theorists. This is what we refer to as "solid evidence."

And boo to GV for giving in to what looks like desperation and settling for the fucking Peppers. I'd have waited another month for the lineup if it meant a significant upgrade over goddamn Dani California.
    I thought Black Keys replaced Sabbath? Or at least that is what I learned in another thread...

I too would have gone through the pain of waiting another month if it meant a stronger headliner for Sunday night. I'm having a hard time picturing ending a magical weekend at Coachella to the RHCP.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    I thought Black Keys replaced Sabbath? Or at least that is what I learned in another thread...
    You learned rumors. There's no definitive proof one way or the other, only speculation.

lmaooooo are you fucking kidding me? so we almost had Blur x Stone Roses x Phoenix huh?? I figured the Chilis were a replacement...WoW

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

John is one of the best guitarists of all time and a tough act to follow, but give Klinghoffer a chance. He's no Frusciante, but dude is an insane musician. What the band lacks most these days is the connection and energy Flea and John created together

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    I'm having a hard time picturing ending a magical weekend at Coachella to the RHCP.
    Same here After Kanye and Snoop/Dre closed things out with such amazing performances the past two years, this just depresses me.

they could have announced it April 11 if it meant not having RHCP. seriously the worst headliner, thank god everything under their name is golden.

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    lmaooooo are you fucking kidding me? so we almost had Blur x Stone Roses x Phoenix huh?? I figured the Chilis were a replacement...WoW
    This is the funny bit. If these were the headers it would be named and shamed all over even more.

There is no definite truth to it like there wasn't to Sabbath and Dre.

That report does not confirm.

People saying they'd have been okay with The Stone Roses . Blur, Pheonix at The Rolling Stones? A lot of people didn't even want The Stones anyway. I reckon Chili's have been booked longer than stated, they might've been llined up to play Saturday and The Stones originally for Sunday with Pheonix who could well have been moved due to RHCP being a bigger band.

nick cave

I can't believe people honestly thought RHCP was anything other than a lazy booking. I won't believe the Rolling Stones stuff was anything serious until there is proper confirmation.

I can't wait to get a head start on traffic!
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    I can't believe people honestly thought RHCP was anything other than a lazy booking. I won't believe the Rolling Stones stuff was anything serious until there is proper confirmation.
    Explain how one properly confirms the existence of a failed negotiation.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by IzGewd View Post
    John is one of the best guitarists of all time and a tough act to follow, but give Klinghoffer a chance. He's no Frusciante, but dude is an insane musician. What the band lacks most these days is the connection and energy Flea and John created together
    I never even listened to the new album w/out John but I'll give it a shot, what are your favorite tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Explain how one properly confirms the existence of a failed negotiation.
    The same way this just got confirmed? I guess you mean there wouldn't be the same type of quote about something that failed, and you'd probably be right I guess. I'm just not buying the Stones being anything serious at all.

There's no way they failed to sign what could have been one of the most expensive acts to ever be booked at an American festival and decided to give us a budget Undercardchella. If a mega-expensive act was booked, I would think there was a big band as a backup plan. They would have thrown the kitchen sink at somebody. Or maybe I am just giving GV the benefit of the doubt here.

To all of you idiots whining about John Frusciante not being in the band: Have you heard the most recent Chili Peppers album? It is a hell of a lot better than the last few albums John played on. Stadium Arcadium was a steaming pile of shit. Josh Klinghoffer is the best thing to happen to the band in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
    To all of you idiots whining about John Frusciante not being in the band: Have you heard the most recent Chili Peppers album? It is a hell of a lot better than the last few albums John played on. Stadium Arcadium was a steaming pile of shit. Josh Klinghoffer is the best thing to happen to the band in a long while.
    wow, the last few albums being "Californication," "By The Way," & "Stadium Arcadium" .... i'll give you "By The Way," just because i can understand how it's easy to dislike that album, but "Californication" was a pretty huge success and i think Frusciante absolutely rocked the shit out of "Stadium Arcadium" ... easily their best album since "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"

but yes, even as a fan of RHCP i was completely willing to miss out on their last tour, but i'll be happy to check them out at Coachella this year... the new album is actually very decent, and i think most fans who don't know they have a new guitarist wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all. i just hope they stick to more new material, as i have little interest in hearing someone else play all of Frusciante's songs...
    every day, every year

Californication is a good album and By The Way had it's moments but Stadium Arcadium is the worst album of their career, it was time for John to move on.

Yes, One Hot Minute is a better album than Stadium Aacadium.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxxxx; 01-25-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    I never even listened to the new album w/out John but I'll give it a shot, what are your favorite tracks?
    the new album is far from my favorite, but youtube

Meet me at the corner

Brendan's Death Song

Monarchy of Roses

If you are a fan of the band then you will definitely like the set. Also check out klinghoffer's other band Dothacker. He's the lead singer/multi instrumentalist in that band. They have a really unique sound and Klinghoffer really brings it

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyMBeck View Post
    nick cave
    thats where i'll be as well
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

Californication is a good album and By The Way had it's moments but Stadium Arcadium is the worst album of their career, it was time for John to move on.

/disagree

even if you didn't like stadium arcadium for whatever reason: it shouldn't be because of frusciante. the new guitarist is trash compared to him. flea + frusciante = amazing jams

there are very few guitarist alive that aren't trash compared to frusciante

Quote Originally Posted by IzGewd View Post
    there are very few guitarist alive that aren't trash compared to frusciante
    Alive and well:

Tosin Abasi
    Adrian Belew
    Dweezil Zappa
    Robert Fripp
    David Gilmour
    B.B. King
    Charlie Hunter
    Buddy Guy
    Pat Metheney

ill just stop there
    Friday - OutKast / The Replacements / The Afghan Whigs / Shlohmo / GOAT / Flatbush Zombies / Glitch Mob / John Spencer / DJ Falcon / The Bots
    Saturday - QOTSA / NAS / CHVRCHES / Temples / Mogwai / Warpaint / DARKSIDE / Ty Segall / Graveyard / Carbon Airways
    Sunday - Beck / Disclosure / Motorhead / Little Dragon / Trombone Shorty / Frank Turner / Bombino / Bad Manners / J. Roddy / Scuba

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience ― Mark Twain

ha, agree with most of those, but Frusciante is definitely high on the list of best guitarists alive

for sure, just thought that was a bold statement