Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Hybrid View

Default Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Figures. This held up the lineup, and it was a lame last minute pick IMO. Seriously, is anyone here excited to see them? The lineup is pretty sweet overall...and RHCP as a headliner brought it down a few notches.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers signed on to headline Coachella about an hour before the annual Indio, California, festival announced its lineup last night, one of the band's managers tells Rolling Stone. "We've been in talks for months," says Cliff Burnstein, whose firm, Q Prime, also manages Metallica, the Black Keys and other top rock acts. "It goes down to the wire. It's a negotiation."
    "We'll be right in the target demo for Coachella. It's surprising, but it's true," says Burnstein, who adds that the band plans to start writing a new album this year. "We figured out if they have 180,000 people over the two weekends, there's a good chance that 10 percent or less would've actually seen the Chili Peppers at a previous Coachella. It seemed like it would actually be, in many ways, a very fresh thing."
    Here's the link to the full story
    Last edited by daftpunked; 01-25-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Default Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers Booking Came 'Down to the Wire'

Eat some magic mushrooms and it could be a great time, if they had their old guitarist.

if only John was there
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Take note, Dre/Snoop replaced Sabbath at the last minute theorists. This is what we refer to as "solid evidence."

And boo to GV for giving in to what looks like desperation and settling for the fucking Peppers. I'd have waited another month for the lineup if it meant a significant upgrade over goddamn Dani California.

So, what was the fallback if RHCP didn't commit?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Eat some magic mushrooms and it could be a great time, if they had their old guitarist.
    Quote Originally Posted by brycerosen View Post
    if only John was there
    Been repeating this to everyone I talk to about the lineup. Sigh.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

old school

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    So, what was the fallback if RHCP didn't commit?

Been repeating this to everyone I talk to about the lineup. Sigh.
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse
    Pearl Jam
    Green Day
    Sound City
    I also find RHCP to be a toss up between Killers/Muse as well.

Saying that RHCP was somehow the only choice is a ridiculous statement.

Having Sigur Ros into Bjork one night would have also been a jaw-dropper - even for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse
    Pearl Jam
    Green Day
    Sound City
    I also find RHCP to be a toss up between Killers/Muse as well.

Saying that RHCP was somehow the only choice is a ridiculous statement.

Having Sigur Ros into Bjork one night would have also been a jaw-dropper - even for me.
    I don't see how Muse is a "back up plan." They're one of the biggest bands in the world right now.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    I don't see how Muse is a "back up plan." They're one of the biggest bands in the world right now.
    It's the 2010-2013 turnaround that's the issue. If they had never played Coachella they would be a priority.

Plus they've played SoCal every year for 5 years running.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Take note, Dre/Snoop replaced Sabbath at the last minute theorists. This is what we refer to as "solid evidence."

And boo to GV for giving in to what looks like desperation and settling for the fucking Peppers. I'd have waited another month for the lineup if it meant a significant upgrade over goddamn Dani California.
    I thought Black Keys replaced Sabbath? Or at least that is what I learned in another thread...

I too would have gone through the pain of waiting another month if it meant a stronger headliner for Sunday night. I'm having a hard time picturing ending a magical weekend at Coachella to the RHCP.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    William, does Kitsgirl's avatar look to you like a woman giving birth to a giant baby as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    I thought Black Keys replaced Sabbath? Or at least that is what I learned in another thread...
    You learned rumors. There's no definitive proof one way or the other, only speculation.

You learned rumors. There's no definitive proof one way or the other, only speculation.
    Well, this might come as a shock to you but there are people who actually know what they're talking about around here. And Dre/Snoop absolutely replaced Sabbath at the last minute. But I suppose since I don't have a link to prove it it's just a rumor.
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium
    8/12 - FKA Twigs - El Rey (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    And Dre/Snoop absolutely replaced Sabbath at the last minute. But I suppose since I don't have a link to prove it it's just a rumor.
    I'm glad we were able to come to a conclusion on this divisive issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Well, this might come as a shock to you but there are people who actually know what they're talking about around here. And Dre/Snoop absolutely replaced Sabbath at the last minute. But I suppose since I don't have a link to prove it it's just a rumor.
    No. Black Keys did. Dr. Dre doesn't just get up and do a show out of no where.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero23 View Post
    tl;dr: ACID.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsgirl View Post
    I'm having a hard time picturing ending a magical weekend at Coachella to the RHCP.
    Same here After Kanye and Snoop/Dre closed things out with such amazing performances the past two years, this just depresses me.

Quote Originally Posted by daftpunked View Post
    Same here After Kanye and Snoop/Dre closed things out with such amazing performances the past two years, this just depresses me.
    I agree. As great as all the bands I saw were the last 3 years at Coachella, each weekend felt like it was building to a brilliant and unpredictable main stage conclusion. Gorillaz, Kanye, and Dre and Snoop were all epic. It isn't even a knock on the Chili's to say that they won't be able to measure up to those performances...they just won't.
    My Arcade Fire Brooklyn review
    @cloneradio

Coachella '10, '11, '12 Weekend 1, '13 Weekend 1, '14 Weekend 1
    Lollapalooza '08, '12, '13
    Bonnaroo '13
    Sarsfest' 03
    Rock Am Ring '06
    Download Festival '06
    Novarock '06
    Rock The Bells '07
    Orion Festival '12
    Made In America '12, '13
    Laneway Detroit '13

Quote Originally Posted by daftpunked View Post
    kanye is a joke

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero23 View Post
    tl;dr: ACID.

I don't know if theres any credence to the "rhcp booked a year ago" comments, but we can all agree it doesn't matter when they were booked, what matters is that we got a lazy bookend to this years otherwise phenomenal lineup.

Not releasing the lineup till march would be retarded, what wouldn't be retarded would be to black out the sunday headliner on the poster. Making it the "Mystery Headliner" until they could work a deal with NIN TOOL PEARL JAM ROLLING STONES ATOMS FOR PEACE SOUND CITY PLAYERS DAFT PUNK ETC

Quote Originally Posted by WhatLies View Post
    I don't know if theres any credence to the "rhcp booked a year ago" comments, but we can all agree it doesn't matter when they were booked, what matters is that we got a lazy bookend to this years otherwise phenomenal lineup.

Not releasing the lineup till march would be retarded, what wouldn't be retarded would be to black out the sunday headliner on the poster. Making it the "Mystery Headliner" until they could work a deal with NIN TOOL PEARL JAM ROLLING STONES ATOMS FOR PEACE SOUND CITY PLAYERS DAFT PUNK ETC

CCR CONFIRMED!!

But what makes you think any of these are options where a deal could have been made? Given that Puscifer and How to Destroy Angels are on the bill, I'm pretty sure GV would have known if NIN and Tool were available. Rolling Stones clearly either is not doing festivals or cost way too much, this seems to have been explored. Daft Punk is clearly not ready and I have no idea what makes everybody think otherwise year after year. It has been vaguely alluded to a couple times recently that PJ and GV have bad blood and are not interested in working together, everybody thinks Sound City Players suck and are not the sum of their parts, and a Blur/Stone Roses/Phoenix/Atoms for Peace top line would have been an even bigger fiasco than what exists now. At least bros and e-tards know who Red Hot Chili Peppers are.

If Bonnaroo truly does have Macca and Bjork, that's beyond excellent for them. I think for the rest of the music festivals, it looks like this year's options stem largely from a pool of Killers, Green Day, Muse, Eminem, etc.

Some valid points. Your probably right about NIN TOOL PJ DP and Sound City being unviable options. If AFP ended up being the mystery sunday headliner then it would be a huge letdown, so good point there. But still, the empty slot sunday would give them time to negotiate with the stones or the smiths. And if all else failed depeche mode, eminem, kanye/jayz collab, and black sabbath are all "available" without touring conflicts.

And if all else failed depeche mode, eminem, kanye/jayz collab, and black sabbath are all "available" without touring conflicts.
    Black Sabbath is in NZ, I think. Eminem was probably obtainable. Depeche Mode seems feasible enough. Kanye and Jay-Z might have done a one-off, but they both seem busy with other projects though. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably didn't pursue Eminem/Kanye/Jay-Z because all of them were onstage so recently.

Don't get me wrong, I think the headliners are definitely on the underwhelming side although it's not really phasing me that much, I am just struggling to think of who else significantly better would have been available.

Some valid points. Your probably right about NIN TOOL PJ DP and Sound City being unviable options. If AFP ended up being the mystery sunday headliner then it would be a huge letdown, so good point there. But still, the empty slot sunday would give them time to negotiate with the stones or the smiths. And if all else failed depeche mode, eminem, kanye/jayz collab, and black sabbath are all "available" without touring conflicts.
    At this point after moz publicly stating he turned down coachella again this year for about 5 mill a weekend it's gonna take a larger sum of money and a completely meat free fest(all three days, both weekends) in order for him to even think about asking marr, joyce, and rourke if they wanna reunite

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It has been vaguely alluded to a couple times recently that PJ and GV have bad blood and are not interested in working together
    That must be new because during an online chat with 10C members in June 2012, Kelly Curtis said PJ will play Coachella eventually. Or it's GV who doesn't want to deal with PJ. I remember Paul T saying somewhere he never went after PJ because he knows their fans would camp at the main stage all day and not explore the festival like he wants attendees to do. I would think that wouldn't be an issue now, though, with the festival being close to sold out before a lineup is announced.
    7/27-Bleeding Through (Pub Rock)
    8/1-3-Lollapalooza
    8/1-Disclosure (Aragon Ballroom)
    8/2-Glen Hansard (Metro)
    8/12-Paul McCartney (US Airways Center)
    9/19-Eric Prydz (The Pressroom)
    10/1-The Gaslight Anthem (Marquee Theatre)
    10/10-12-Austin City Limits Weekend 2
    10/25-Arctic Monkeys (Comerica Theatre)
    10/30-Jimmy Eat World (Marquee Theatre)
    11/3-Yelle (Crescent Ballroom)
    11/10-The Black Keys (US Airways Center)
    11/12-Judas Priest (Jobing.com Arena)
    4/10-12-Coachella Weekend 1

Quote Originally Posted by Footsteps86 View Post
    That must be new because during an online chat with 10C members in June 2012, Kelly Curtis said PJ will play Coachella eventually. Or it's GV who doesn't want to deal with PJ. I remember Paul T saying somewhere he never went after PJ because he knows their fans would camp at the main stage all day and not explore the festival like he wants attendees to do. I would think that wouldn't be an issue now, though, with the festival being close to sold out before a lineup is announced.
    For what it's worth, I have neer alluded to there being bad blood between the 2 camps. Just that are reasons pj hasn't played.

I was hoping that Bjork or Tool would be the first three-time headliner. Oh well, hopefully this conflicts with Wu-Tang or Nick Cave or someone else awesome.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Quote Originally Posted by roboticwaltz View Post
    I was hoping that Bjork or Tool would be the first three-time headliner. Oh well, hopefully this conflicts with Wu-Tang or Nick Cave or someone else awesome.
    My sincere hope is Nick Cave is on the Outdoor at the same time as RHCP on the main. I don't hate them. But it's not something I'm putting in the schedule unless I still have energy and there's no one else on.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

lmaooooo are you fucking kidding me? so we almost had Blur x Stone Roses x Phoenix huh?? I figured the Chilis were a replacement...WoW

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    lmaooooo are you fucking kidding me? so we almost had Blur x Stone Roses x Phoenix huh?? I figured the Chilis were a replacement...WoW
    This is the funny bit. If these were the headers it would be named and shamed all over even more.

There is no definite truth to it like there wasn't to Sabbath and Dre.

That report does not confirm.

People saying they'd have been okay with The Stone Roses . Blur, Pheonix at The Rolling Stones? A lot of people didn't even want The Stones anyway. I reckon Chili's have been booked longer than stated, they might've been llined up to play Saturday and The Stones originally for Sunday with Pheonix who could well have been moved due to RHCP being a bigger band.

I can't believe people honestly thought RHCP was anything other than a lazy booking. I won't believe the Rolling Stones stuff was anything serious until there is proper confirmation.