Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Franz Ferdinand!

Default Franz Ferdinand!

This was a surprise to me! I saw them last year at Outside Lands, and they've still got it!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Default Re: Franz Ferdinand!

lol to think the last time i saw these dudes they were opening for depeche mode and were playing after kanye and sigur ros

Their set at Coachella a few years back was one of my favorites that weekend. Plus there were pink shoes if I remember correctly... or maybe pink pants?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebspeedracer View Post
    it was so dark i wasn't sure if i got blood on her or not. o well i guess thats the chance you take dancing with strangers on drugs.

old school

Still no word on the album.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    lol to think the last time i saw these dudes they were opening for depeche mode and were playing after kanye and sigur ros
    that set sucked. but i liked the 2009 set. opened with matinee if i remember correctly
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Rolwolf

Exactly. That was one of my favorite sets from that year. I thought for sure they were on their way to headliner status. If this billing means they're playing at like 8pm in the Mojave I'm going to have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    that set sucked. but i liked the 2009 set. opened with matinee if i remember correctly
    That set was tight, Depeche Mode sucked.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cydewonder View Post
    That set was tight, Depeche Mode sucked.
    depeche mode definitely sucked. to be fair, i didn't see all of franz ferdinand because the bass in the dome (shy fx i believe) drew me in more than franz did.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I'm pretty sure they did in 09. But at OSL they did for sure open with Matinee.

I think these guys are one of the better acts around. I guess most people don't care past Take Me Out though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

depeche mode definitely sucked. to be fair, i didn't see all of franz ferdinand because the bass in the dome (shy fx i believe) drew me in more than franz did.
    I didnt see there whole set either cause I was at ladytron, seeing them live was what got me listening to them more. Outsiders was my fav song of that set!

Love me some Franz, and didnt see them when they played Pomona last year so pretty excitedly suprised to see them on the lineup. Been a few years since the last time I saw them, but they are always good for a solidly fun show. I will be at this set at least one if not both weekends depending on conflicts and such.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    This was a surprise to me! I saw them last year at Outside Lands, and they've still got it!
    after that show, Franz quickly became one of my favorite bands - and were one of my top 10 requests for 2013.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

And the mash up of "Can't Stop Feeling" and Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" gave me chills. Hope they record and release that as a single someday.

I'm excited. I missed the majority of their OSL set but the little bit that I did see was absolutely great.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Coachella's house band
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I had a dream Tuesday night that the lineup would come out on Friday and that Franz Ferdinand was a headliner. Don't remember much else. Believe it or don't but it's true, except for the headlining part.
    That which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music - Aldous Huxley

Hooked since '06

Check my latest music video

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

They were amazing at osl. Stoked to see them on the line up.

The 1st time I saw them was in 2006 at Germany's Rock am Ring festival and coincidentally they were also opening for Depeche Mode. That set was shit...terrible sound. We left halfway through. Saw them again in 2009 before Nine Inch Nails in Toronto. That set was incredibly fun and it sound perfect.
    My Arcade Fire Brooklyn review
    @cloneradio

Coachella '10, '11, '12 Weekend 1, '13 Weekend 1, '14 Weekend 1
    Lollapalooza '08, '12, '13
    Bonnaroo '13
    Sarsfest' 03
    Rock Am Ring '06
    Download Festival '06
    Novarock '06
    Rock The Bells '07
    Orion Festival '12
    Made In America '12, '13
    Laneway Detroit '13

Are they the first band to move down a line in the lineup? (2nd in '09, 3rd in '13)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    I'm excited. I missed the majority of their OSL set but the little bit that I did see was absolutely great.
    Same here. We left to catch Jack White's B show. Only saw a bit of them in 09. Looking forward to seeing them with hopefully no conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Are they the first band to move down a line in the lineup? (2nd in '09, 3rd in '13)?
    They're not as relevant as before.. if they ever were

They rocked it, glad they're on Saturday night, get me all hyped up before Phoenix.

Franz Ferdinand: 'We'd become the opposite of what we wanted to be'

It's been 10 years since Franz Ferdinand's rise to fame, two since the group were rumoured to have split, yet their new album is tipped as the sound of the summer. Craig McLean asks the group how it all went so right, then wrong, then right again.

Craig McLean

The Observer, Saturday 17 August 2013

Franz Ferdinand
    Music for girls to dance to: Franz Ferdinand's Bob Hardy, Nick McCarthy, Alex Kapranos and Paul Thomson. Photograph: Julian Broad for the Observer

Last summer's hit novel Gone Girl opens with a scene set in the trendy early noughties magazine circles of Brooklyn. "The party is being thrown by one of Carmen's good friends who writes about movies…" begins the American author Gillian Flynn, throwing the protagonists into "a whoosh of body heat and writerness… black-framed glasses and mops of hair… black wool pea-coats flopped all across the couch." A German poster for The Getaway covers "one paint-cracked wall". Franz Ferdinand is "on the stereo". The song playing is "Take Me Out".

I read this passage out loud to Alex Kapranos, singer with Franz Ferdinand. At first he says nothing, so I explain the subtext; how the group he formed in Glasgow in 2002 embodied a du jour cool. "Yeah, yeah, yeah," he says quickly, frowning, looking pained. We are in deepest, greenest Dumfriesshire, in the conservatory of a large, slightly ramshackle Victorian house the musician bought in 2004 as a bolthole, discussing Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action – Franz Ferdinand's fourth album, and their first since 2009. It is a bright energetic record, but one which has been clawed from a slough of despair.

Kapranos wasn't aware of the Gone Girl namecheck, despite the thriller's bestseller status. Or perhaps it was because of it: Kapranos is an English graduate, one-time divinity student; the sort who references Soviet-era magic realists and Dadaism in his work. Of all the territories in which Franz Ferdinand had immediate soaraway success, the US proved the most burdensome. There are moments he would rather forget, such as the band's boss at their label in America flying to see them play for the first time in Boston – via private jet. "And I'm thinking, 'What the hell are we getting into here?'" Kapranos recalls, exasperated even now. Having been unable to stay with their UK indie label Domino in the US, the foursome were signed to a major. "[Domino] only had three staff in America and couldn't physically deal with the amount of records that we were selling," Kapranos explains.
    franz ferdinand backstage That was then: the band backstage at the ICA London in 2003. Photograph: Danny Clifford/Hottwire.net/WENN
    Corporate music biz America proved to be a world of largesse and excess. Things worsened for the band when their label was taken to court, accused of offering bribes to DJs to play the hot new releases by their hot new acts. Franz Ferdinand's name was read out as part of the prosecution case. "And I was like, 'Fucking hell, here we are in court on some payola charge," Kapranos says. "It was exactly the opposite of what I wanted to be as a band." He gives a grim nod. "They pushed us in a way that didn't feel natural. I shouldn't complain too much – we sold lots and lots of records. But I think the way it accelerated so quickly was probably quite damaging for us." In many ways it was the beginning of the end for Franz Ferdinand.

I first met the band 10 years ago, when Kapranos, Nick McCarthy (guitar, keyboards), Bob Hardy (bass) and Paul Thomson (drums) were playing Reading Festival's New Bands tent. They were yet to release a single and had an afternoon slot, immediately after another bunch of hopefuls called Razorlight. They were sensational: a pop band with spikes; a rock band with jump-around adrenaline; an indie band with club-friendly synthesiser lines. They were a bit camp. I spoke to them backstage afterwards. "Fantastic crowd today, so full of energy, we were getting so much back off them," the well-spoken Kapranos beamed in an accent that betrayed both a childhood in Sunderland and an adulthood in Glasgow. When I asked what this brand new band sounded like, the singer shot back: "Music for girls to dance to."

Five months later, "Take Me Out", their second single, entered the UK charts at No 2. By spring 2004 their debut album had sold a hefty 300,000 copies in two months; it would go on to sell 1.1m copies in America alone. That September it won the Mercury Music Prize and in February 2005 Franz Ferdinand took home two Brit Awards, for Best British Group and Best British Rock Act. Their second album, You Could Have It So Much Better, went platinum in the UK, gold in the US. Having watched them graduate from sticky Glasgow squats to festival headline slots, I found myself travelling to interview the band a handful of times, everywhere from Germany to Poland to America to Australia.

Three weeks earlier than my visit to Kapranos's house, I met the rest of the band at McCarthy's studio in Hackney, the Sausage Factory, a cupboard-sized space in which the guitarist has crammed a junk-shop's worth of arcane musical kit. McCarthy, born in Blackpool and now aged 38, is first joined by Paul Thomson, 36, this so-called Scottish band's sole actual Scotsman. They tell me the album – a short, sharp, whipsmart disco-rock record – was recorded in fits and starts in studios across London, Scotland and Sweden in the past year. Both pronounce themselves pleased with how they made their new album. It has no single producer, but saw friends (including Hot Chip and Björn Yttling of Peter Björn & John) occasionally managing the studio controls.

It's a long way from 2009's Tonight, which sounded clenched and felt tired. According to Thomson, a period "decompressing" was required in the wake of the two years spent touring their third album. "[Afterwards] I just came down heavily with depression, I think," says McCarthy. "I just thought, 'Eurrgh, can't play music any more.' Couldn't stand it. We'd sucked ourselves dry."

It was, they admit, partly their own fault. Tour America for the fourth time in a year? Of course! Record a song for David Mackenzie's 2007 film Hallam Foe? No problem. "Perform" (via clever lookalikes) in a Dior ad starring Marion Cotillard? Bien sûr… Franz Ferdinand jumped at the bewildering array of opportunities that came their way. It was no surprise. "Before this I had 10 years of doing fuck all!" Thomson chuckles ruefully. Having found success in their mid-to-late 20s (in fact, Kapranos was four years older than he claimed), in new-band terms they were ancient. So they were hungry. "We were making up for lost time," says the drummer. Hardy, the Bradford-born bass player, 33, remembers thinking this frantic pace was "normal" for new bands. "I didn't," Kapranos adds with a thin smile. Did the fun go out of it for the frontman? "Undeniably. It went out when I felt I was working to someone else's schedule or deadline. I'm not naturally the kind of person who works well under those conditions. In fact, my whole adult life before that point, if I'd been in a job where I felt I was under pressure, I would usually just jack in the job. And suddenly I couldn't do that any more. But maybe…" the singer sighs quietly, "Maybe, that's what we did after the third record."

When I meet Kapranos again in Dumfriesshire the following month I ask him whether he is saying that Franz Ferdinand split up after finishing touring Tonight. He ums and ahs while fiddling with a jar of homemade plum jam. "I met up with Bob in Orkney about two years ago," he finally offered me, describing how they chose the northerly Scottish islands because they were "neutral territory" (neither had been there before). "I wanted to split the band up, because in my head it felt like one of those jobs… the ones I had to jack in. I didn't like the routine and the obligations. And whether those obligations lay with my contemporaries, my peers, my record label, the fans, the audiences – or maybe myself… I felt…" He stutters awkwardly. "It was time to, erm, stop that."

There were various factors at play. The food column he wrote for the Guardian "for fun" during a world tour morphed into a book. It then mutated into something else entirely for the serious-minded fortysomething. "It contributed to creating a comic character version of yourself. It happened the other day – I was doing a phone interview with an Australian newspaper and they began by saying, 'I've got my mouth full of food this morning and I'm thinking of you, Alex! What you do think of beef jerky?' I'm like, 'Oh God, is this it? Is this my life?'" he wails.
    Franz Ferdinand in Hackney Franz Ferdinand photographed for the Observer in Hackney. Photograph: Julian Broad
    Kapranos was "incredibly miserable" during the making of Tonight, also for other, personal reasons he won't discuss. But it seems reasonable to guess that one was the end of his relationship with Eleanor Friedberger, of US brother-sister indie duo the Fiery Furnaces. In Dumfriesshire he politely declines to say anything of his current girlfriend, but later introduces me to a slight, blonde twentysomething with whom he's about to spend the afternoon dinghying down a local river.

Kapranos can be a brilliant, charismatic frontman, a great conversationalist – he radiates cheerful gratitude that I have made the effort to travel to his remote rural home. "I'm not going to get to enjoy this for much longer this summer," he shrugs, staring down the barrel of a weeklong Tokyo-LA-New York-London interview schedule, then heaps more besides. But he is also a heavier, more preoccupied presence than the exuberant, eager chap I met a decade ago.

Still, the comeback album radiates buzzy confidence. It is certainly the best since their groundbreaking debut, and pre-release noise about it is healthy; their social media stats have recently been boosted to 1.4m Facebook likes. They've also gone back to snagging high-profile gigs: in New York last month they streamed a performance of the entire album on the set of David Letterman's chat show. This summer their labelmates Arctic Monkeys, also returning with a new album, are the only British band generating similar levels of excitement.

But Kapranos seems resoundingly relieved by the likelihood that decade-old Franz Ferdinand cannot be the hipsters' new band of choice any more. He is much more energised by rediscovering the founding principles of which he and Hardy reminded themselves during their Orkney crisis summit: Franz Ferdinand should be "odd", and "quirky". Success, though, and repetition, and those obligations, had "shaved off" those qualities. "But when we came to making the new album, we decided that oddness was just us!" He beams. "And we should enjoy that: it should be at the heart of our existence if we want to continue."

My interviews were bookended with two concerts: in April, I saw them perform at California's three-day Coachella festival. They played in a packed tent on the middle evening, before New Order, and it was proper Saturday night fever, the band bristling with grinning exuberance and the crowd responding by dancing wildly. When they segued into a scratchy-guitar version of Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" it was clear that Daft Punk aren't the only postmillennial arrivistes making disco-hay in 2013. The mash-up was both wonky and inspired; a piece with both old and new Franz Ferdinand.

Three months later, they play a secret show in the back room of a tiny pub in Dalston, east London. The show is running late after some shambolic milling about by the band. There are 500-odd fans stuck outside, unable to get in. Kapranos, McCarthy, Hardy and Thomson finally amble through the crowd, then drift onstage. They are all smiles and bashful waves. Clearly, they are following no one's schedule but their own. Just like the good old days.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Music for gays to dance to.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

One of my most anticipated albums of the year. Thanks for that. Can't believe we get new FF and Arctic Monkeys so close together.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    One of my most anticipated albums of the year. Thanks for that. Can't believe we get new FF and Arctic Monkeys so close together.
    Plus NIN and The Naked and Famous. I've been in a constant state of heavenly bliss lately.

"Do I Wanna Know?" is one of the best AM songs.
    Last edited by kvnty; 08-18-2013 at 11:52 AM.

I'm stoked as well for the new album; I'm constantly playing the Coachella W1 set on my android. It sounds like they are in a happier place, so hopefully they don't have qualms about extensive touring.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

They were so good both weekends. These are the pictures i have up from their sets:

Ken shots required.

The only shot i have up from Weekend 2 so far.....

wait, there's this one: