Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix?!?

Default Re: Phoenix?!?

Trip out to their new website if you want. Its got some background music that is probably from their new album. I hope the visuals are indicative of a trippy light show.

http://www.wearephoenix.com/
    DRUGS ON KIDS

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Krellish View Post
    The one that I have in mind is the Arcade Fire.

I also would like to re-word my last statement a bit.. I meant that Coachella is willing to prop bands up as headliners before there is consensus that they are headliner material.

Kings of Leon might be another example, no?

KOL were huge in Europe. Plus they had already been top line at the other 3-4 major US festivals prior to Coachella.

Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    Whether or not they're "good" isn't the issue. Could they sell out an arena in Los Angeles by themselves? If not, they shouldn't be headlining.

I also would like to re-word my last statement a bit.. I meant that Coachella is willing to prop bands up as headliners before there is consensus that they are headliner material.

The Arcade Fire headlining was the third time they had played Coachella, had won a Grammy that year and headlined several other major festivals. I don't think GV was propping them up at all. Phoenix will be great, but unless Daft Punk makes a cameo, I wouldn't put them on the same level as Arcade Fire in terms of Saturday night headlining viability...Also, Kings of Leon had headlined several of the biggest festivals in the world prior to headlining Coachella...and they didn't even really headline, the Chemical Brothers did ;-)

I really hope Coachella is pulling something out of their ass come April, it seems they always have something that is a step above all other festivals. The undercard is very good, but the most surprising slot in the lineup is Phoenix. I've seen them live at Lolla and they have absolutely no stage presence at all and are extremely boring to watch. I do love listening to their records, but as a headliner is a joke. I have no idea how they appeal to people live. They should be knocked down at least 2-3 slots down from the top. There are far better acts to book.

Glastonbury 3 years ago. They got it right and scheduled them during the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zec7oMcgsC0

Snore.
    Last edited by Twentynothing20; 01-30-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twentynothing20 View Post

Snore.
    Coachella got it right that year too...and scheduled them during the day. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no incentive for GV to book anyone else with both weekends being sold out...all we can hope for is that Daft Punk makes an appearance with them...but even that, when done at Madison Square Garden, kinda sucked.
    Last edited by themule; 01-30-2013 at 10:30 PM.

I guess you're right, however those bands were on the verge of headlining material if not already there like others have pointed out. They also had tons of radio play with lots of hits. Phoenix is nowhere near headliner status IMO (even though I enjoyed their last record and seeing them in 2010, so it's no bias against them) and they have a grand total of 2 widely recognizable songs
    Coachella 2010, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-2

Quote Originally Posted by Twentynothing20 View Post
    I really hope Coachella is pulling something out of their ass come April, it seems they always have something that is a step above all other festivals. The undercard is very good, but the most surprising slot in the lineup is Phoenix. I've seen them live at Lolla and they have absolutely no stage presence at all and are extremely boring to watch. I do love listening to their records, but as a headliner is a joke. I have no idea how they appeal to people live. They should be knocked down at least 2-3 slots down from the top. There are far better acts to book.

Snore.

I've heard nothing but good reviews about their live performances and the one time I saw them they were outstanding.

And whether anyone here wants to admit it to themselves or not, Phoenix is the second strongest headliner on the lineup. Their crowd will be bigger than both Blur and The Stone Roses and they are much more recognizable to the under-25 demographic than either of those groups.

This isn't Europe. In Southern California, Phoenix - in 2013 - is bigger than either of Friday's headliners.

Phoenix is gonna kill it. Straight up. They got tons of great songs, they've proved themselves live and as we all know, the folks at GV know something we don't know - they know what their production is gonna be & they've heard the album...it's all gonna work out. I promise.
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post

This isn't Europe. In Southern California, Phoenix - in 2013 - is bigger than either of Friday's headliners.
    Completely agree.
    Coachella 2010, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-2

Quote Originally Posted by narek23 View Post
    Completely agree.
    nobody is saying Phoenix isn't going to kill it. They were great on the outside stage...but Saturday night headliner??

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

why are you so fucking hung up on the headliners?

November 18 - Slayer
    November 19 - eyehategod
    December 4 - Behemoth
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 6 - Sleep

i still cant wrap my mind around people on here thinking arcade fire was a bad headliner

this fucking board i swear...

I don't think anyone is saying that. AF fucking killed it and won over all the nay-sayers.

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    i still cant wrap my mind around people on here thinking arcade fire was a bad headliner

this fucking board i swear...
    yeah, nobody worth a damn thought that was a bad headliner...

old school

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    I've heard nothing but good reviews about their live performances and the one time I saw them they were outstanding.

And whether anyone here wants to admit it to themselves or not, Phoenix is the second strongest headliner on the lineup. Their crowd will be bigger than both Blur and The Stone Roses and they are much more recognizable to the under-25 demographic than either of those groups.

Everything depends on the new album, which GV didn't get to hear before booking.

As for Blur-Roses, a worldwide exclusive double billing will get more attention than an act that will play every North America area twice over the next 24 months.

Haven't given these guys a go in years and man I gotta say I think they are ready for this. Their songs are big and fantastic. Join the dance party on Saturday or fuck off.

Debating whether to go see the Who perform Quadrophenia in Phoenix tomorrow night. Any opinions on whether I should save my money or pull the trigger?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

Oh, and the Arizona Diamondbacks are having a 5k run for charity this weekend. Is anyone else signed up?
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

Anyone want to hit up the FilmBar sometime this week?
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Do they still have screenings of The Room? I want to check that out sometime.

Wouldn't it be great if they screened The Master and had a Q&A afterward with Joaquin Phoenix?

That would be great.

I just checked their calendar, and that Sound City movie is playing this weekend and some of next week. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

I've gotta see what's on our calendar for the weekend.

So do you have tickets to the 7pm Louis CK show? I get off work at 5:30 on Fridays but am considering taking some float time to take that afternoon off so I'm not rushed.

I might come up for Spring Training in a few weeks. Could be fun.

I need to see if I can take a couple hours off that day. Thanks for reminding me. I'm bringing Brett.

Tommy will be in town for some spring training too!

TRIPLE POST! W00t I am getting off early at 5pm next Friday -- we should meet up for dinner/drinks, Rick. Or just wait in line.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Debating whether to go see the Who perform Quadrophenia in Phoenix tomorrow night. Any opinions on whether I should save my money or pull the trigger?
    Pull that trigger, dude. While they are far from their peak and have had to make compromises to age (learning lessons from the previous tour and that Super Bowl travesty), they were fantastic. I've probably listened to the album over 100 times and it's in my top 5 (with Exile, Born to Run, Zep IV and Rubber Soul). They were generally true to the material while the deviations were perfectly appropriate. There were also some surprise "appearances." If you know the words to "Punk Meets the Godfather" and can recite the Keith Moon "Bellboy" soliloquies, you will really enjoy this.

Quote Originally Posted by meyouseek View Post
    Whether or not they're "good" isn't the issue. Could they sell out an arena in Los Angeles by themselves? If not, they shouldn't be headlining.
    Why does this matter to you? You making money off it?
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    why are you so fucking hung up on the headliners?
    Don't fool yourself - the majority of the attendents are there for the headliners.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"