Default Re: No EDM Mainstage Closer?

Fucking outraged.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i was so bummed to miss blackstar, but prodigy was fucking amazing.

EDM does not belong on the mainstage.
    Indeed. One of my most favorit live EDM shows ever. Right behind Daft Punk, but in front of Chem Bros.

Hardwell makes me want to puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
    Hardwell could easily close on the mainstage. He's arguably the best DJ on the planet (Rated #6 right now but I think will be #1 in 2013)
    If you don't believe me, check out his Tomorrowland 2012 YouTube vid...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bgJ...outu.be&t=3m6s

HOLY SHIT play this to see 3:06. douchiest dude ever to walk this planet

Quote Originally Posted by ghettosteez View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bgJ...outu.be&t=3m6s

HOLY SHIT play this to see 3:06. douchiest dude ever to walk this planet
    Some Jersey Shore cast member reject. Why in the fuck would you want to look like that?

And as for Hardwell... That song that was playing was absolutely heinous.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

You have horrible taste in music if you think hardwell is awesome. The douche presses play. Keep that shit out. Its a fun dance party but the music is horrible and everyone of those djs like him play the same shit. Bassnectar is a million times better as is Pretty lights.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

has anyone considered it might be eric prydz? I'm not saying that I'm a fan or that I'm predicting it, just floating the idea out there. his "E.P.I.C" show looks like it could be just about big enough.

the other possibility is that with this alleged "new stage" there'll already be two EDM acts on until close.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynoo View Post
    You have horrible taste in music if you think hardwell is awesome. The douche presses play. Keep that shit out. Its a fun dance party but the music is horrible and everyone of those djs like him play the same shit. Bassnectar is a million times better as is Pretty lights.
    Presses play? No shit he's a DJ you moron. All of them press play, it's a necessity. Hardwell is one of the most innovative producers in dance music right now. Have you listened to the variety of his tracks? It's mind-blowing to say the least. At least he keeps it real using CDJs unlike Bassnectar and Pretty Lights, they use laptops... BORING!

Did you not see the energy of that crowd in the Tomorrowland video? And that's in EUROPE, they KNOW DANCE music... HARDWELL is moving at a pace so fast that in a couple of months you won't stop hearing from him... And a top of all this, the guy looks like he's a pretty chill dude in that Tomorrowland video, unlike the rest of the "real house DJs" who just pick fights via twitter because they aren't as successful as people like HARDWELL.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Rynoo View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Not all DJ's "press play", the fact that so many people think that is laughable. My friend is a DJ/Producer of EDM music and you have NO IDEA how much work they do, he spends between 30-100 hours on every track he makes, he is constantly working and when he DJ's it takes a lot of work to make everything sound and flow together. I've even started learning to DJ with his help and when people say it's "press play" I just laugh. Sure once they get to the level of playing to hundreds of thousands of people, they get exceptionally good and have the experience to do things almost like second nature, just like any guitarist or drummer. You wouldn't ever accuse any other musician of that shit so don't criticize DJ's/Producers cus it just shows how ignorant you truly are.

As for Hardwell being shit, you just watch, he WILL be in the top 3 and I think #1 DJ by the end of the year. I've seen Bassnectar live at Sasquatch and although I like his music, he isn't on the same level in my opinion as a lot of DJ's out there and is definitely not a closer for a big music festival. That's just me, I've seen a lot of DJ's live and he doesn't rate anywhere near the top live. As for Pretty Lights, I would love to see him live and will this year at EDC and yes he's an amazing DJ/Producer and in his style he might be the best but I wouldn't rate him as better than Hardwell or a lot of other producers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Not all DJ's "press play", the fact that so many people think that is laughable. My friend is a DJ/Producer of EDM music and you have NO IDEA how much work they do, he spends between 30-100 hours on every track he makes, he is constantly working and when he DJ's it takes a lot of work to make everything sound and flow together. I've even started learning to DJ with his help and when people say it's "press play" I just laugh. Sure once they get to the level of playing to hundreds of thousands of people, they get exceptionally good and have the experience to do things almost like second nature, just like any guitarist or drummer. You wouldn't ever accuse any other musician of that shit so don't criticize DJ's/Producers cus it just shows how ignorant you truly are.

As for Hardwell being shit, you just watch, he WILL be in the top 3 and I think #1 DJ by the end of the year. I've seen Bassnectar live at Sasquatch and although I like his music, he isn't on the same level in my opinion as a lot of DJ's out there and is definitely not a closer for a big music festival. That's just me, I've seen a lot of DJ's live and he doesn't rate anywhere near the top live. As for Pretty Lights, I would love to see him live and will this year at EDC and yes he's an amazing DJ/Producer and in his style he might be the best but I wouldn't rate him as better than Hardwell or a lot of other producers out there.
    LOL. Look at what thread you are in, dude. We all know what goes into producing and DJing electronic music. When we say "he presses play," we mean Hardwell presses play, not every DJ in the world. That's why Hardwell sucks.
    The #1 DJ in the world doesn't mean anything, that list is the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever seen, always has been and always will be. I will not listen to anything that says Guetta is a good DJ.
    And Pretty Lights isn't a DJ. He is a producer, and he plays live sets. I've never heard of him playing a DJ set. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

BCS>All DJ polls

I think Bassnectar should do it - he's a California hero - he's headlined festivals, he's got the production these days, he's got the fans, he can put together a setlist that everyone will love...fuck, I'm not even a big fan of him in general, but every time I find myself around a Bassnectar show I lose my shit - way more than I do at a Tiesto or SHM show.
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Bassnectar can definitely be a closer!
    Sunday, I could only see Pretty Lights on the Main Stage. I'd love to see Prydz on Main Stage. There's no real potential Main Stage EDM closer on Sunday. Would love if they added Armin or Chemical Brothers. Even though, they'd probably add someone like Tiesto.

Saturday, I can see Benny on the Main Stage.
    Unless you know, we get Daft Punk during Phoenix...
    Last edited by forihave5inned; 01-30-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Thank God no EDM Headliner, or rap garbage but that also means I will be staying late once!

They are not going to close the festival with EDM on the mainstage. Not gonna happen.
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

It think its a good possability that bassnectar closes out friday night on the main.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFunkyPrecedent View Post
    I think Bassnectar should do it - he's a California hero - he's headlined festivals, he's got the production these days, he's got the fans, he can put together a setlist that everyone will love...fuck, I'm not even a big fan of him in general, but every time I find myself around a Bassnectar show I lose my shit - way more than I do at a Tiesto or SHM show.
    LOL
    Blur and The Stone Roses are co-headlining and Bassnectar is on the third fucking line
    He is not closing the main stage.

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    LOL
    Blur and The Stone Roses are co-headlining and Bassnectar is on the third fucking line
    I don't even think I could see Bassnectar on the outdoor stage with all the artists above him, likely for J5 to close the outdoor.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I bet Bassnectar has a larger crowd in and around the Sahara if he's on the same time as Blur or Stone Roses
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    I bet Bassnectar has a larger crowd in and around the Sahara if he's on the same time as Blur or Stone Roses
    Don't think so for Blur, but he would have 2x+ the crowd of the Roses.

Quote Originally Posted by igotmyxomatosis View Post
    Don't think so for Blur, but he would have 2x+ the crowd of the Roses.
    Based on this forum's response I could totally see Bassnectar having a larger crowd than Blur. Though I have a feeling the Sahara crowd is going to be a bit different this year due to the lack of cheese.

read: better
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega man View Post
    Anybody know where I can find pics of when Magnetic Man had the crowd sit down. That moment was epic

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    LOL
    Fuck you and your third line - who cares. Straight up, looking at the numbers, Bassnectar is a more successful touring artist than Stone Roses, Lou Reed, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Modest Mouse and Grinderman. Below is taken directly from Pollstar which is public information.

The Top 20 Concert Tours ranks artists by average box office gross per city and includes the average ticket price for shows in North America. The previous week's ranking is in parentheses. The list is based on data provided to the trade publication Pollstar by concert promoters and venue managers.
    TOP 20 CONCERT TOURS
    1. (2) Madonna; $3,465,640; $160.64.
    2. (3) Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band; $1,362,627; $93.95.
    3. (4) Justin Bieber; $1,177,615; $74.59.
    4. (5) Dave Matthews Band; $967,758; $73.76.
    5. (6) Neil Young & Crazy Horse; $943,026; $94.00.
    6. (7) The Who; $845,015; $85.86.
    7. (8) Rush; $831,978; $82.21.
    8. (9) Leonard Cohen; $804,309; $100.16.
    9. (10) Red Hot Chili Peppers; $716,382; $60.53.
    10. (11) Zac Brown Band; $624,017; $56.97.
    11. (12) Trans-Siberian Orchestra; $568,771; $51.47.
    12. (13) Carrie Underwood; $535,017; $58.50.
    13. (14) Bob Dylan; $467,504; $77.77.
    14. (15) Eric Church; $309,161; $40.27.
    15. (17) Jeff Dunham; $308,952; $58.16.
    16. (20) Tobymac; $163,114; $27.40.
    17. (18) The Moody Blues; $160,360; $68.27.
    18. (19) Wiz Khalifa; $156,077; $41.83.
    19. (New) Bassnectar; $144,666; $39.03.
    20. (New) "So You Think You Can Dance"; $135,972; $56.66.
    Last edited by DaFunkyPrecedent; 01-30-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Cooler than a polar bears toenails.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    There is a DJ on the lineup who has played the main stage once before. Just sayin'.
    moby?

Fuck you and your third line - who cares. Straight up, looking at the numbers, Bassnectar is a more successful touring artist than Stone Roses, Lou Reed, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Modest Mouse and Grinderman.
    You're comparing these popular & well-established, critically acclaimed, well-selling acts to fucking Bassnectar? Get the fuck out.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    I agree completely.

I honestly think Friday's set times are going to be organized to funnel people to the main stage. GV is obviously clearly excited about this headlining bill, and will want people to see it, but their scheduling for Pulp/Mazzy Star indicates that after 2010 they have learned a little bit about scheduling to ensure non-fans show up to those sets.

I almost wonder if Sahara will look like Bassnectar (vs YYYs), into Dog Blood, into Infected Mushroom. They've closed against a headliner before...not betting on it, but it's worth consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    You're comparing these popular & well-established, critically acclaimed, well-selling acts to fucking Bassnectar? Get the fuck out.
    He is not necessarily wrong that Bassnectar will draw better than those acts, however.

19. (New) Bassnectar; $144,666; $39.03

Yeah but there is a rarity and quality about the other acts it's not always about money or else the top 6 tours would always headline and that would be a rap.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Doesn't matter, it's basic principal. He will not close the mainstage. Probably ever. He will only draw big this year because he DROPS THE BASS. Give me that womp womp, y'all!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Whether you like it or not Bassnectar is very very popular and sells a shit ton of tickets.