Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: No EDM Mainstage Closer?

Default Re: No EDM Mainstage Closer?

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    yeah this could have a huge effect on the crowd. i'm starting to think travelfan might be right and the crowd will be reall good this year.
    I think it will be. The thing about Benassi/Pretty Lights/Bassnectar/Knife Party is that those acts are popular and mainstream enough to close out, but let's be real, everybody on this board has at least one guilty pleasure somewhere in there. You ship off even the worst third of last year's Sahara to EDC or Ultra instead, and the Sahara is going to be a blast from start to finish.

My circle of friends is not really a "we go to shows every week!" crew like a lot of people on here. The ones that were all about Calvin Harris and Afrojack last year are not returning. The ones who were bored by that stuff are all coming back and are losing it over the lineup, or are at least really open minded and excited. I think you are going to see a real reduction in the fairweather music fans.
    Last edited by travelfan; 01-25-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    black star closed after NIN that year (05?) and they were billed pretty low.
    i was so bummed to miss blackstar, but prodigy was fucking amazing.

EDM does not belong on the mainstage.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Another great thing about this year
    Hopefully I will be seeing Blur playing till 1:00 AM on Friday

No other EDM act is second line, so I don't see how they stand a chance.

- bassnectar is big, but not big enough, and i doubt they'd put angry bass music to close out the main stage
    - dog blood formed this year. no way they close
    - i would love to see prydz bring EPIC to the main but given his billing and the fact that he'd essentially close the whole festival, I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdb23 View Post
    but dude, these guys are talking about wizards piss, they're already in danger mode.

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    I think GV is making a pretty clear statement this year. I do not think there will be an EDM closer. Dog Blood can fit in the Sahara, easily.

YYYs --> Stone Roses --> Blur
    Postal Service --> the XX --> Phoenix
    Vampire Weekend --> Nick Cave --> RHCP

Makes too much sense.
    I genuinely hope they are making that statement. If so, pretty genius to get last year's attendees so pumped up and ready to buy such a large [presumed] quantity of presale tickets the month following last year's Coachella so they could afford to do whatever they want this year and leave the ticket holders to pass the tickets around.

I am sure this has all probably been said, and I could be wrong if they have DP, DB, et cetera in their pocket [I was wrong once before] but I'm really excited that this will be more of an FYF crowd and even more excited for the large quantity of bands I am going to see.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    My circle of friends is not really a "we go to shows every week!" crew like a lot of people on here. The ones that were all about Calvin Harris and Afrojack last year are not returning. The ones who were bored by that stuff are all coming back and are losing it over the lineup, or are at least really open minded and excited. I think you are going to see a real reduction in the fairweather music fans.
    I was thinking about this yesterday when all my facebook friends who went to their first Coachella last year for Avicii, SHM, etc. were bitching about the lineup sucking. Those who appreciate the more underground acts have always had to deal with (the last couple years specifically) lots of the big mainstream artists on the lineup but still go for the small, quality ones, but now since the tables have turned more in favor of the underground, the people who go only for the poppy stuff are revolting. It's kinda like when the kid who is spoiled all his life doesn't get his way and throws a tantrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    I was thinking about this yesterday when all my facebook friends who went to their first Coachella last year for Avicii, SHM, etc. were bitching about the lineup sucking. Those who appreciate the more underground acts have always had to deal with (the last couple years specifically) lots of the big mainstream artists on the lineup but still go for the small, quality ones, but now since the tables have turned more in favor of the underground, the people who go only for the poppy stuff are revolting. It's kinda like when the kid who is spoiled all his life doesn't get his way and throws a tantrum.
    But in all fairness, we all threw a fucking tantrum when we saw last year's EDM lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    Fiona Apple? Her arms have gotten hairy.

at the risk of getting the everloving dogshit pummeled out of me, could richie hawtin close up after phoenix? big enough sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega man View Post
    Anybody know where I can find pics of when Magnetic Man had the crowd sit down. That moment was epic

Quote Originally Posted by waterandcoffee View Post
    at the risk of getting the everloving dogshit pummeled out of me, could richie hawtin close up after phoenix? big enough sound.
    I don't see this happening.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

hawtin without properly lighting is a travesty. he belongs in the tent.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

his set at moog was sparsely populated while orbital the next night was fucking paacked. i'm sure he'll be in the tent.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

well alrighty then
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega man View Post
    Anybody know where I can find pics of when Magnetic Man had the crowd sit down. That moment was epic

Quote Originally Posted by seitron View Post
    No other EDM act is second line, so I don't see how they stand a chance.

- bassnectar is big, but not big enough, and i doubt they'd put angry bass music to close out the main stage
    - dog blood formed this year. no way they close
    - i would love to see prydz bring EPIC to the main but given his billing and the fact that he'd essentially close the whole festival, I doubt it.
    Wasn't there a big issue the last time RHCP headlined because Tiesto was booked after and they refused to stop playing?
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Maybe Simian Mobile Disco? Their set up at FYF and their own shows is pretty cool

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

well alrighty then
    coulda been worse right?
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Here's my thoughts on the main stage:

YYYs --> Blur --> The Stone Roses

Postal Service --> The xx --> Phoenix

Wu-Tang --> Nick Cave --> NHCP

So, you're right, no EDM closing out the main stage, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Saturday ended with some Phoenix/DP mash-up. EDM will be mainly in the rehabilitated Sahara -- last year's Sahara was the most god-awful pit of shitty dance music (ah-hem Guetta), but this year they've got some great stuff (Hawtin, SMD, esp)

Quote Originally Posted by Foucault View Post
    Here's my thoughts on the main stage:

YYYs --> Blur --> The Stone Roses

Postal Service --> The xx --> Phoenix

Wu-Tang --> Nick Cave --> NHCP

So, you're right, no EDM closing out the main stage, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Saturday ended with some Phoenix/DP mash-up. EDM will be mainly in the rehabilitated Sahara -- last year's Sahara was the most god-awful pit of shitty dance music (ah-hem Guetta), but this year they've got some great stuff (Hawtin, SMD, esp)
    This looks spot on, except I think Vampire Weekend and Wu-Tang are interchangeable...one plays main, the other gets the Florence spot on the outdoor, with a silent main between the subheadliner and the headliner.

Richie is one of my top 3 artists this year, but I don't see him as a main stage guy.

There's honestly no one big enough to do it that would also work on the main stage. Bassnectar is big, but not Chem Bros, SHM big. Fuck that anyway, I want to see stuff in the Sahara with the soundsystem and the lights.

This thread is making me so happy. I've always spent my entire Coachellas in the Sahara, but last year I was there for a total of maybe an hour. It was like a wasteland over there. This lineup seems to be a shift in the right direction, and it will definitely drive the horrible people away. I think that when the PF dome was pretty much empty all of '11, GV pulled back, and then made this step again once the whole cheesy scene out here started melting away a bit. This is a brilliant move, and the best lineup I've been to, at least.

This lineup is the fuckin tits, couldn't be happier with the Sahara this year. But I definitely think dog blood is the only edm group with enough star power to close the main and they're playing Friday so that essentially rules them out. I'm gonna go with no edm closer this year

the only way a dj closes is if they add someone to Sat or Sun. though I do think dog blood might be too big for the Sahara, especially if it's vs the stone roses.

Sahara is going to be really cool this year.

What did you guys expect? After Swedish House Mafia there is no dance act worthy of the main stage... maybe Avicii... but that's it...

Lurker

Hardwell could easily close on the mainstage. He's arguably the best DJ on the planet (Rated #6 right now but I think will be #1 in 2013)

If you don't believe me, check out his Tomorrowland 2012 YouTube vid...

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I think Bassnectar is bigger than Hardwell in America
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Bassnectar is so mainstage closing material but its not happening. The guy is untouchable when it comes to his live show. I'm so stoked on the edm. If he only gets an hour set its going to be a crying fucking shame. Pretty lighs during the shit peppers will be a great way to close out the weekend. Excision is bringing the executioner stage! Baauer is so sick live. The edm is solid. Thank god we won't hear levels or whatever the big track is with the bros.

Daft Punk and Phoenix. .. It did happen in 10 at Madison square garden. We can only hope right?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
    Hardwell could easily close on the mainstage. He's arguably the best DJ on the planet (Rated #6 right now but I think will be #1 in 2013)
    The Chemical Brothers were the lowest billed electronic act to ever close the mainstage. They were billed 4th on their day. Hardwell is billed 17th. He will play the Sahara, and it might not even be dark outside.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    What did you guys expect? After Swedish House Mafia there is no dance act worthy of the main stage... maybe Avicii... but that's it...
    Nevermind that Armin van Buuren just sold out Madison Square Garden in an hour the other day ago. But you're right. Avicii is the ONLY act that can play mainstage now.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

I like the concept of the main stage dance act to close out Friday or Saturday night, but if not booking Tiesto or SHM or Skrillex means we get a better crowd, and I think it does, I can go without.

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Nevermind that Armin van Buuren just sold out Madison Square Garden in an hour the other day ago. But you're right. Avicii is the ONLY act that can play mainstage now.
    so fucking bummed he's not on the lineup. i thought for sure he would be. even has a huge gap in april with nothing going on. shame...